lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Once Upon a Farm

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jan 2, 11 9:28 AM
I played the game, I thought it was fun, I ignore the comments, that was in the game, people take things to heart to me, I am from ky and i been called redneck, like other people all walks of life been called names, but some move on, at least the stronger people..The game is alot of fun if you can get pass the comments..I give the game a thumbs up..Just think so a second in alot of games there is always something said that people don't like but many keep playing, I love all walks of life..I don't judge anyone, so give the game a chance..Myself i am going to buy..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 2, 11 9:50 AM
Wow, 17 minutes was more than enough for me. Didn't pay any attention to the racial undertones of this game, although some were subtle, some not, but only really noticed because people drew attention to them in their comments. Why does he have to be Mexican? Why not just a drifter or a cowboy? Of course, some people would take offense to that as well.

Anyway, that aside, don't like the roving satellite dish, it is distracting. Since when is a pipe a "tube" and a leaf a "sheet?" Who are these people? I spent a lot of time looking for these items, only to find out that's not what they were. Some items not easy to find (which is okay, but hard on the eyes), some scenes were a bit blurry. Would be okay for a beginner or someone who just wants to play a game for the heck of it. No buy for me either.

lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by lisam63 on Jan 2, 11 9:53 AM
if you go to the "oh pleeeez " forum ...someone by the name of andrew replied he is a programmer of the game..but link removed who made the game

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 2, 11 10:01 AM
I'm going to behave and not even try this game because if I did then I'd be tempted to come on here and not only bash the game but those who had the audacity to offer it to us.

Ok... I'll behave. I thank all you early reviewers from saving me from my poison pen review.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jan 2, 11 10:16 AM
I'd be curious to hear why the developers felt that most of us would find the stereotype of Hispanics acceptable in a game. Did the developers think that we would find it funny in a comedic way? IMO, I think others see Americans as being overly politically correct (or at least trying too hard to not offend any group of people; i.e: I, myself, am 'height disadvantaged', not short). BFG should not be criticized for the quality of a game from other developers, but IMO, they should have reviewed this game and not offered it because of the offensive stereotyping.

Loralia
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Loralia on Jan 2, 11 10:32 AM
I normally just delete a game when I don't care for it but this one needed a comment. I do have trouble with games where clearly English is not the foundational language but don't make that my criteria for not purchasing a game. However, as someone else mentioned, SOME level of believability is necessary for me (not talking about games with magic and so forth) and when someone makes assumptions and doesn't take the time to understand a few logistics, it makes the game far less appealing. This is not about those who are in non-English speaking countries or areas, but about what makes a good game and not just shove a bunch of stuff together to get it out. This is definitely a "no buy" for me and I didn't even get past the "Mexican costume".

The racial profiling was definitely offensive and I currently live in Mexico! No one dresses like that here and frankly it looks like an old Clint Eastwood movie projection (nothing against you, Clint) from someone who has no idea of how things are here in Mexico OR in the states. Yes, racial profiling exists, yes, I know there are people who exhibit this type of behavior in the states and elsewhere, but it does not belong in a game. Frankly I'm really surprised that BFG allowed this one through. IMO someone really slipped up on this. Are they so hard up for games that they bring in such a derogatory one? I know that good games are hard to find for those who don't want strategy guides or having to leave the game and go to a blog walkthrough but really, this is ridiculous.

Edited on 01/02/2011 at 10:33:29 AM PST

cpurcell
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by cpurcell on Jan 2, 11 10:34 AM
I live in AZ. and dont recall ever seeing a Mexican dressed the way they have the agent dressed. I bgan to wonder who had written the clues for hidden objects as some of them dont match the objects, since when is a sheet a leaf ,or a tube a pipe, Not a buy for me.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Jan 2, 11 10:35 AM
no buy for me..this is a stupid game..I have to agree..who ever heard of a pipe being called a tube..

[Post New]by africangreylady on Jan 2, 11 10:51 AM
After reading these comments I want to download this game just to play the hour demo, hoping for a few laughs! It doesn't sound like it will be worth buying, but it might be good for a laugh or two.

[Post New]by dmc5808 on Jan 2, 11 10:58 AM
At least I found a can of air freshener and I really needed that because this game STINKS.

[Post New]by gina_o on Jan 2, 11 11:30 AM
Let me preface this by saying I have NEVER posted a negative review before today. I am not Mexican but I am a Texan.

The whole premise of the disguise as a Mexican and the farmer's responses were personally offensive. Stereotypes like these have no place in a game. The language was atrocious, and the clues ridiculous.

If this is the kind of game we can expect to see from BF in the future, count me out. I have other ways to spend my entertainment dollars.

Pywacket
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Pywacket on Jan 2, 11 11:38 AM
I have to join the chorus of those who found the stereotyping and language disturbing. That coupled with the misnaming of items in the hidden object scenes, the toing and fro-ing that didn't make any sense made me quit before the free trial was up.

BigFish Games - you need to at least make sure the developers name objects correctly in the **** scenes. We're all used to poor translations to English and spelling errors but c'mon, at least use the correct English names for objects.

Kilan8
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Kilan8 on Jan 2, 11 11:46 AM
BORING!!!!

[Post New]by greeneyes488 on Jan 2, 11 11:52 AM
I bought this game so I,ll play it if someone will tell me where there is a walkthrough,,,lol I can,t get any farther than the stables!!

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Jan 2, 11 12:18 PM
O.M.G!!!!!!!!

hibtug
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by hibtug on Jan 2, 11 12:29 PM
I am Brazilian proud of my Welsh/Portuguese/Native background, and also extremely tired of silly (for lack of a better word) stereotypes about Latin American people. Not so long ago a famous Hollywood actor said that Brazilians laugh a lot and give monkeys as a souvenir to people who visit this country - and then, apologized. .. It is better to be careful with such opinions because they are offensive and uncalled for. Latin Americans are proud people with an extraordinary history that goes back thousands of years; I should know, am I an archaeologist. Please do not allow Big Fish to sponsor such thing. And please, get someone to review the translation of games, it drives us - foreigners - crazy to figure out why a leaf is called a sheet ...

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Jan 2, 11 12:29 PM
I read a lot of complaints about this game. People complained for many reasons. The most recurring complaint I read about is the racism. I think you people may have missed the point of the story. Being black and having put up with real racism for over 50 years I hope that whoever wrote the story meant this to be a parody about racism in the southwest. The FBI agent is so out of touch with reality that his superior is afraid to send him on any real assignment so he sent him on a case that would not bring any more shame to the FBI. How the idiot got his job I'll never know. I think somebody owed somebody a huge favor. If you read the messages in the log book you will understand what is going on.

As for the farmer I've run into people like him recently in the so called "liberal great northeast". Sometimes they are well intentioned but they are insulting without really knowing that they are being insulting. They are clueless and think the stereotypes are true.

I think the story is okay as a parody. Parodies tend to insult a lot of people. Some people just have to take it for what it is and realize that there is usually a basis in fact in parodies. In this case the fact is that bigots, naifs and clueless people still exist in the USA.

Now for the gameplay itself. The graphics are clear and beautiful and the game is fairly easy. I turned the music off immediately as I found it to be annoying. I played for 44 minutes and had no trouble with the game. The biggest complaint I have with the game is that the game is just dry and boring to me. I guess being sent on that assignment is the worst thing that could happen to an FBI agent who craves excitement. Too bad we had to share his pain. Maybe he'll get the message and quit. I know I did.

[Post New]by ittybit12 on Jan 2, 11 12:38 PM
I will definatly not buy because i can not even plsy the demo. Took 20 minutes to download ( and I know it isnt my computer )have not ever had this much trouble before>I have bought tons of games from BF but not this one,,,,,, very dissapointing.

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Jan 2, 11 12:42 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:I usually just roll my eyes at people who are easily offended, since they don't warrant a reply in most cases. However, this game even got my hackles up and made me madder'n a snake in a wagon rut on a hot day in August after being sprayed by a skunk that had just drunk hooch that was three days bad.

HAHAHAHA!!!

I don't get offended easily, as least I don't think I do, but all I had to do was read Goofy's, DoctorGood's and Chertboo's reviews to know this isn't the game for me.

It's 2011, shouldn't we be striving towards not racially stereotyping, etc?

Sorry, I'll take back my soapbox now.

Edited on 01/02/2011 at 12:48:27 PM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Jan 2, 11 1:52 PM
When I first saw today's game offering and that it was a HOG, I thought, good-finally one that shouldn't have have occult themes in it so I downloaded it. However, I had trouble playing it from the very beginning. It was slow and jerky, even without the custom cursor but even more so with it so I gave up and un-installed it. As for the Mexican, I never got that far in the game. In fact, I never got out of the first hidden object scene. As for racism, it is morally wrong no matter what ethnic group it is directed to and, frankly, I am very surprised that Big Fish allowed this game on its site.
I mean you can't discuss politics or religion. Why is it okay to poke fun at an ethnic group of people? As for the so-called "politically correct" speech, I am against it. Since when is something deemed okay simply because it is "politically correct"?

Go to: