unicornone
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Crossworlds: The Flying City

[Post New]by unicornone on Jan 8, 11 11:06 AM
might buy it if I end up with a credit or on the 2.99 specials but I am not keen on the graphics and it is a bit to simplistic for me... others might like it more though. Guess this is a lean week... but that's okay.... you can't have a great game every day!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 8, 11 11:25 AM
Well, game is definitely different. Grahics not bad, music not bad. Most items not too difficult to find, although some are extremely difficult and had to use a hint. Hint take quite a while to charge up, but that's okay too. I'm stuck. Have been back and forth between city and junk yard and can't find anything else. Spoiler alert...found he heads and placed them, but that's it. Can't seem to do anything else. One thing I really didn't like is the fact that it gives you no guidance at all. Followed all the tasks, but that's it. This game really needs a WT. Would purchase if it had one. Guess I'll wait and see if they put one together or not. Already voted to get one.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 8, 11 11:42 AM
cepe wrote:Its a no for me - within about 10 minutes. Reasons:

1. I hate the fact they picked up on my computer "owners" name and automatically slotted it in as the player.

2. Immediate spelling mistake - shoddy

3. If they can't think up original names then I don't start out optimistic!

4. Artwork and storyline doesn't appeal

But that's just me - I'm off to play Phantasmat. Happy gaming

Cepe
Hated too that they took my computer's name........

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 8, 11 11:44 AM
dancemom1 wrote:Well, game is definitely different. Grahics not bad, music not bad. Most items not too difficult to find, although some are extremely difficult and had to use a hint. Hint take quite a while to charge up, but that's okay too. I'm stuck. Have been back and forth between city and junk yard and can't find anything else. Spoiler alert...found he heads and placed them, but that's it. Can't seem to do anything else. One thing I really didn't like is the fact that it gives you no guidance at all. Followed all the tasks, but that's it. This game really needs a WT. Would purchase if it had one. Guess I'll wait and see if they put one together or not. Already voted to get one.

I need a WT to finish the demo... what does that say about a game ( or me....LOL!)

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 8, 11 11:45 AM
I like it so far. I would consider purchasing after I see how long the game is, if and when the walkthrough comes up.

Ridnhi
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Ridnhi on Jan 8, 11 12:11 PM
Dumbdora was a name used by the young years ago.........( as nerd or techie or doofus is/was used today) It was Dumb Dora..............which is pretty explicit. It can mean book smart but no common sense.................. I haven't downloaded the game. I'm reading the comments in order to decide.

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Jan 8, 11 12:28 PM
Well, I have had "sitting on the fence" games before, but this one has me nailed to the fence. I feel as if I am all alone, no one to talk to, no direction for what to do next, but at the same time curious as to what lies ahead. I just don't know about this one. It is a bit like playing solitaire, but nobody told you how to play.

Sound is fine, graphics are also fine. Just feel like something is missing. Maybe that there is no real back story. I dunno, I just can't seem to bond with the character. May still end up buying, but again...nailed to that fence lol.

jaylake
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by jaylake on Jan 8, 11 12:33 PM
Now really into the game and what a challenge. Good value for money this one really kept me challenged. Not going to finish this one quickly but thats great. Glad that I have no walkthrough because if you keep going you can get the answer. Guess you cannot please everyone but this is ok by me

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jan 8, 11 12:38 PM
Hi all.

I have played 15 mins of this game & have quit out for now.

I am sure it is a great game in its own right, but after Phantasmat & others recently & I am playing a Sherlock Holmes one too, it just doesn't rock my boat.

I won't install the demo, but save it for when I feel I can appreciate it more & then decide.

With Dumbdore (Dumbledore ) I would have expected the main character to be called Harriietta

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Jan 8, 11 12:57 PM
I really like this game and it will be a buy. Graphics displayed beautifully on my machine, no fuzziness or graininess at all but very crisp. H0 scenes are clear to me. I am more of an adventure gamer who prefers few (or no) H0 scenes, and I like the H0 scenes in this game. Objects are mostly easy to find, but always a couple tricky ones in each scene that are nicely, but fairly, hidden.

Storyline does not appear particularly unique, but does drive the game along as I wanted to see what comes next, even if I had already guessed. As mentioned, I am a fairly experienced adventure gamer, and I did get stuck for a short while, but once I realized the game is to be played a little more like an adventure game than your usual H0/adventure hybrid, I am now figuring things out a bit quicker.

Nice change for me. I like the IHOGs and HOG/adventure games, but this one is leaning a little more towards the adventure side, gotta use the noggin a bit more than usual but I like that.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 8, 11 1:21 PM
Hi there,
I'm currently trying to find the last two items for the potion (don't give me any clues), but thought I'd pop in and add my comments on this delightful game.
I'm having a really good time wondering around, trying to find the articles I need and enjoying the humour it contains....idolmaker pro! LOL
A lot of people have posted good reviews, but I would like to add my voice to those who have recommended that if you like a bit of a challenge "give it a go".
OK, so there's no walkthrough, but honestly if you keep tabs on the diary it leads you to the next task...however you need to be prepared to follow the "move backwards so you can move forwards" principle in this game. And most of the items you need to find "sparkle" - you just have to use the grey matter sometimes to work out how to get to them, or be patient as the solution will present itself once you have completed the tasks required.
And for those of us who are sick of looking for the same old items in H0 scenes, at least there are some different ones on your list....and they are VERY cleverly hidden sometimes until, as someone has already stated, you see a part poking out from behind something else. No hourglass yet....maybe to come.LOL.
Well, back to it.
Cheers

Edited on 01/08/2011 at 2:01:09 PM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 8, 11 1:31 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Missing father/mother/sister/brother/former roommate's sixth cousin's best friend's dogsitter....pfft. Strike one.

Dumbdore, which should lead to an automatic lawsuit from J.K. Rowling...pfft. Strike two.

Yet another game where the female lead is seemingly-stupid-yet-brilliant...pfft. Strike three, yer outta there!

Other than that, I can't think of anything wrong with the game.

Sometimes its not the premise...its the journey!

Janadott
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Janadott on Jan 8, 11 1:35 PM
I cant even get out of the house, find one book with an outline of the "machine" others are empty. Got into the safe. got a card key, for what purpose? The only paper i found was in a drawer, and it wouldnt let me put it in inventory, I give up, not gonna get this one, it stinks

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 8, 11 2:01 PM
Just addition to earlier comments:
I think by most of the comments that many of you are missing the HUMOR in this game. I laughed when I saw the Professor's name. My reaction was "I like the developers and want this game to succeed."

Then I got so stuck and could not figure out what to do after find the time machine. I decided to write it off because wandering around the house was not fun or entertaining. I really wanted to like it, but couldn't.

I came to the forums and read posts that said "keep going it gets better." So I went back and persevered. I play pure adventure games and love them. Was a bit insulted that this Hidden Object game was getting the best of me. Then I found the magic item that I needed to continue in the game.

After I left the house, it was "WOW -- this is cool". It was nothing but enjoyment (with a little frustration) after that.

Once you learn to enjoy the sense of humor in this game it gets better and better. Some of you are w-a-a-a-a-y too serious.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 8, 11 2:03 PM
Forgot:
@Janadott
Help for you to continue is below. Highlight to read.

There is a room to the left when you are looking at the front door. It has a metal door toward the back left. Use the key card there.

Edited on 01/08/2011 at 2:03:52 PM PST

Mouse381
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by Mouse381 on Jan 8, 11 3:01 PM
I wish a WT was available...
Other than that, I like it. It's kind of a mix of games in one. You have a little bit of everything: HOG, FROG, ADV, ETC.
I like the story line so far(I only played the demo). I think the H0 scenes could have been a little better as far as graphics go, but that's such a small item that it didn't bother me. I think I just like the Sad Robot! He's so cute.

On a side note...I think it's funny that the time machine looks EXACTLY like the Rocs Cocoon Shower from Yanko Designs. (If you're curious what I'm talking about, type in "egg shaped shower" in the search bar and you'll find out what I mean.)
Too Funny!

I also thought it was cute that the Professor's name was so close to the Prof in Harry Potter.

Edited on 01/08/2011 at 3:04:24 PM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 8, 11 3:48 PM
peglegann wrote:Thank you eldee, Cherb, goofy and everyone for the reviews. I played for about 30 minutes, then came to the forum, played a little more and........ not sure. Then I read sinshack's review and this confused me
Give it a try, and then play the whole demo LOL! Did you mean then play the whole game? Only teasing..... At the moment I have a couple of games to finish, so I will hold back from buying, to see the comments from fishies that have finished the game. I just was not "grabbed" by it. Have a fun weekend all

Peglegann, I actually did mean to play the whole demo! Many people, me included, were ready to write off the whole game based on the opening scenes in the house - it was frustrating, had a "been there, done that" feel to it, and geez, here we are with yet another missing father/grandfather professor storyline. But once you get past the house, things got a lot better, and those that got furthest during the demo seemed to enjoy the game the most!

The developers DO need to come up with more ways to start these adventures, because having only two means that they lose a lot of customers in the first few minutes of gameplay. Any iHOG lately starts with (1) someone packing or gathering unrelated items in their bedroom and house, or (2) an abandoned car outside the sanitarium/town/institute/etc.

A lot of real gems like this one and Phantasmat (abandoned car outside town at game start) can get overlooked if you don't grab the gamer's attention within the first few minutes of gameplay. How many times do we see comments in this forum that someone played 10 minutes - or five - or three! - and deleted the game? So, that's why I said to play the whole demo - you might find that you like the game more than you thought you would!

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jan 8, 11 3:57 PM
Ok, I played 35 minutes.....then I got stuck. In that robot city.

Somehow I just can't get into this game. It just doesn't ring my bell.
I'm not into Sci-Fi and the like at all. And I won't drag myself through half a game I don't care for just to see something else.

I found the HOG scenes kind of annoying, there was none where I didn't need a hint to find something. Some of the items were just too small for me - and I do have 20/20 eye sight.

I didn't find the hint button particularly helpful either. It only works in the HOG scenes and then it's not very specific. I had a couple of items that turned despite a hint into a click fest.
I'm neither IHOG nor adventure proof. Hence got stuck.....

I didn't care for the music either, usually I just let it doodle in the back ground but this time I turned it off.

The graphics are good but otherwise.....

I consider this a TROTTER - with a broken leg.

Wicked500
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Wicked500 on Jan 8, 11 4:08 PM
After reading the reviews, I decided to try it. Because people were recommending to play the full hour, I did. Sorry but this game is not my cup of tea. Some of the objects I had to use hints numerous times to find the object. I couldn't find one robot head so I got out and went back it in and it showed that I had all five. Go figure. I didn't even enjoy any part of it. Try before you buy is all I can recommend.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jan 8, 11 4:21 PM
Thanks cherb and goofyduck and others. I was both
frustrated and bored early on; but decided to stick with
it and indeed it did get better. Glad you all told me I
had to wear out a pair of clogs(instead of sneakers)
going back through scenes to find new hidden object
searches.

Only two minor problems: some items so close to
edges, couldn't see them without hint sparkles and
no labels on where direction arrows were taking me.
Despite these, I'm hooked and using a credit as I
type.

Putting my faith in MargieB and prpldva that there will
be a walkthrough. Even if I don't need it, "peace of
mind".

Go to: