one2enjoy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Westward Kingdoms

[Post New]by one2enjoy on Jan 17, 11 11:37 PM
Lakergurl wrote:I hate that you have to kill the animals!

Meat is murder....

MMM, tasty tasty murder

lol

Shevyron
Clownfish
Clownfish
517 Posts

[Post New]by Shevyron on Jan 19, 11 6:06 AM
not for me.

I think that I didn't like it because things took too long; the walking between areas, the character 'doing' stuff,
i also found it non-intuitive, there was no going off exploring to find things.
I demo'd for 30mins and just got fed up.

This is different from my normal game choice - maybe i just don't like change!

gammafish
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by gammafish on Jan 19, 11 1:37 PM
I loved all the previous 4 Westwards and am really digging the new fantasy angle! I hope they continue on in this vein of new settings! Maybe a Sci-Fi Westward next?

emmydog
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by emmydog on Jan 21, 11 10:44 AM
I love the Westward series and this one's no exception. There's so much to do without all of the side quests this time. You spend more time in each Kingdom. The characters are hilarious with their comments as usual. The graphics are nice--you can zoom in anywhere on the map for a closer look in 3D. I always turn the music off, so I can't comment on that. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about it.

If you want a long, fun game that makes you think, this is it!

[Post New]by Capturedbk on Jan 21, 11 12:14 PM
I'm sure it's great if you can actually complete quests successfully. Unfortunately unresolved glitches mean that many of us can't.

[Post New]by littegoldfish on Jan 24, 11 3:53 PM
I have played all the Westward games, this one included which I just finished yesterday. I like the game and the series a lot! Some of the tasks take a while to figure out because you have to click on a certain character in order to move forward but not impossible. I still have not figured out how to remove the sword from the stone in Kingdom 1 darn it all...

zeiladae
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by zeiladae on Jan 24, 11 6:47 PM
This game is great! I never tried the westwood series because I don't like western themes. I'm having alot of fun playing it.

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Jan 24, 11 11:55 PM
Wow, this is not my kind of game-too much work for too little. Also, that bratty Princess needs a spanking! Didn't like the graphics at all-they're too old school for me, and moving from place to place was too difficult and clumsy. No thanks!

astro147
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by astro147 on Jan 29, 11 5:44 AM
SWEET

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Feb 2, 11 10:00 PM
bbeaver1946 wrote:Does anyone know what is required to cut through the vines with the "flowers" on them?
Actually, you take out the carnivorous-looking flowers, not the vines.

Now, notice that when you walk a Soldier or your Hero up to them, the game says that he can't get close enough.

OH-kay; what kind of a combat unit do you have, or can you get, that can kill from a distance? Hmmmmmm??

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Feb 2, 11 10:03 PM
hannah57 wrote:this game is way t[o]o comp[l]icated. I don't want to have to use my key pad OR read all the time. I just got up and the last thing I want to do is sit here and read a flippin story book. No buy for me. Give me a game with more doing and less reading.
I love the game, but I want to express my sincere thanks for so clearly stating all the reasons why somebody would hate it. If this were on a different site, I'd be giving you a thumbs-up or a Yes, Useful for your 1-star review!

Edited on 02/02/2011 at 10:07:28 PM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Feb 2, 11 10:05 PM
Capturedbk wrote:I'm sure it's great if you can actually complete quests successfully. Unfortunately unresolved glitches mean that many of us can't.
When and if BFG makes available versions 1.001 and 1.002, now released by the developer, there should be a lot fewer dead ends.

And yes, some of us have been complaining that it's not fair to make us pay to be beta testers.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Your Comments and Reviews for Westward Kingdoms

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Feb 2, 11 10:18 PM
one2enjoy wrote:
Lakergurl wrote:I hate that you have to kill the animals!
Meat is murder.... MMM, tasty tasty murder[.] lol
Just wait until you try a Defend the Village side quest and discover that you can't win w/o sooner and later getting a few of your soldier boys killed. Yeah, they die with "I guess it was my turn!" or "Stupid multiple stab wounds!" or whatever on their lips; but it's still jarring that in so cartoony* a game you're obliged to make realistic military decisions.

Of course you're not actually obliged to play the Defend the Village side quests.
----------------------
* Why anybody thinks the Princess and most of the others are more cartoony than the characters in WW IV: All Aboard, I can't imagine. MAYbe the big-headed Prince whose jaw precedes him by a second or two. But not the others.

[Post New]by juliewhitmire on Feb 3, 11 7:15 AM
PISSED OFF AT BFG! Why don't we get the updates and Fixes???? We pay for the game to be able to play but can't get through the game without the fixes and updates and BFG REFUSES!!!!!!!!! To give us the UPDATES!!! JOIN ME IN PROTEST AND DO NOT BUY ANY OTHER GAMES FROM THEM IF YOU HAVE MEMBERSHIP CANCEL IT IMMEDIATELY!!!! BOYCOTT BFG UNTIL THEY START PROVIDING UPDATES AND FIXES IN A MORE TIMELY MANNER BUY YOUR GAMES From sandlot!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe if they lose their CUSTOMERS THEY MIGHT START LISTENING!!!!!!!

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Feb 3, 11 7:26 PM
Julie, I agree with you as to the problem.

However, it seems unlikely that losing a few customers will bother BFG. Have you noticed that the home page brags about over a billion games sold? (Later: Downloaded, actually, not sold.)

I think an actually more effective means of protest is what I've been counseling elsewhere on this forum, perhaps kicked up a notch: Ask Customer Support, politely but insistently and frequently, when BFG will have the fixes the developer has already released. Ask them maybe daily. (Anything more would be impolite harassment, no?)

If enough of y'all did that, it might conceivably have an effect. Customer Support can't like being inundated, can they?

And if you give up on that having any effect, THEN demand a refund, citing the number of times Customer Support has failed to fix what is clearly a fixable problem.

I'm afraid I won't be joining in this, however, because--knowing what BFG's pattern had been with Westward IV updates*--I bought direct from the developer. Again.

The extra $3 is entirely worth it. And their forums are better.
------------------------------------
* And, not unimportantly, what the developer's pattern had been for the previous product, and which is in fact turning out to be the same for the current one: Release it so that, in effect, players pay THEM to do the beta testing. On WW IV, they got up to 1.004 before the customer base (and presumably the programmers) were sufficiently satisfied.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LATER: Please see my next post below in this thread.

Edited on 04/01/2011 at 11:03:53 AM PST

zeiladae
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by zeiladae on Feb 4, 11 7:03 PM
Oops, sorry. I posted a question in the wrong forum.

Edited on 02/04/2011 at 7:10:59 PM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 1, 11 10:59 AM
@ zeiladae: TYVM for editing your question out. However, you could have deleted it entirely thru the red-circle button with the white X on it at the top of your post. (Like the Edit button, this is available only on each person's own posts, so don't everybody else complain that it's not there on zeiladae's!)

And to everyone reading my previous post in this thread: As implied in the title of a sticky thread at the top of this forum "UPDATE! New version available for Westward Kingdoms! February 23, 2011" , version 1.003 has been available from BFG for some time now.

Edited on 04/01/2011 at 11:06:04 AM PST

[Post New]by Selarae on May 4, 11 1:04 AM
Really enjoyed this game and I am hoping to find another one that is similar .
I wish that Big Fish Games would bring such games to their site .
Too often when you go to the adventure section it is polluted with Hidden Object games
which to my thinking should stay strictly in the Hidden Object game selection and not Adventure .

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Aug 12, 11 9:43 AM
This is a game for people who really like forums, because it is unplayable without walkthroughs and forums. If you enjoy playing a game without help, you'll hate this one.

For example, when someone tries to pull the sword from the stone, they get a message that they can't. But if they keep trying, they can. You click on Herman and nothing happens. But if you click away and then click on him again and repeat over a hundred times, you get something. What kind of person would try that if they hadn't read a walkthrough? You play the whole game and unlock everything, then play sandbox mode, then discover that one of the advanced buildings (whose menu cannot be reached until well into the game) is still locked because you didn't get a stupid trophy. To get the trophy you have to do things that make no sense within the game.

I like the building aspect, but all the cool decorative items from other games in the series like flower boxes are gone and you just build the same building over and over. The humor is good, although the same joke heard 100 times ceases to be funny.

Most of the fun in a game like this comes from walking your hero around doing cool stuff, but if you do that you waste the experience points. So the best strategy for the game is for your hero to sit on his or her fat **** and do cool stuff with all the other characters. The developers strategy seems to be to force everyone onto a forum in order to play. The first two walkthroughs I found had numerous errors. If they can't even get it right, how are we supposed to?

OK, it had several hours of game play, so I guess it's worth the money. But I'm not sure if it is worth the aggravation.

Glad I gave this game a second chance!

[Post New]by musicimprovedme on Dec 13, 11 6:22 AM
I always have looked forward to a new game from the Westward series. I admit when this first came out, I looked at the trial and played a little bit and was unimpressed and thought...what a stretch, this is not about the wild west at all (cowboys, gunslingers, railroads, etc). I uninstalled it with much of my free hour left.

This game has been out almost a year now and last week I gave it another go, and finished my hour. I realized that my first experience in the game was all tutorials...which left me yawning because mechanics of all these games are the same for the most part. This time I guess my cookies were still in my machine because it took me right to the game. I am so very glad! I ended up using a credit to buy the game and now I am loving it as much as any of the others.

Some random commentary:

First the theme...it is feudal. It may not seem logical at first but the Westward gameplay that players recognize works perfectly with this storyline.

Second, your citizens are upgrade-able. They improve both from doing tasks and also from picking up "knowledge tomes" that you find laying around which boost them along. You can cultivate a peasant's skills, and then develop them into craftsmen or even scholars. Your soldiers can become archers or knights. The upgraded citizens can do more advanced things, and are more hearty, than a character that has just joined your village. A smart player is upgrading wisely and taking special care to protect his best and brightest citizens.

Third, this is just my opinion but WK seems to have weeded out all the most annoying aspects of the other Westward games. Your people don't become drunk if they are unemployed. There aren't as many side missions where you have to start all over from nothing. And if you send a citizen to do a job that takes a couple minutes (pick gold, chop a log) they return to their employment automatically when they are done rather than having to reassign them a job. Even so the game is still a challenge. Most notably, with the citizens upgrading, if someone leaves due to homelessness or hunger, or gets killed, it could take a while to recover the loss of an advanced character.

I don't have much advice, but one thing I can recommend with all the Westward games is save often and use your different save slots to explore different strategies. That way you can back up to your last success and try something else if you run into trouble.

Edited on 12/13/2011 at 6:29:23 AM PST

Go to: