Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hexus

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 2:24 PM
juliebugs79 wrote:I wasn't going to try this game because when I watched the video it looked like the type of match 3 I don't like. But I always read the reviews. Am I glad I did! First off, I like to see a developer on the forum interacting with us. I still wasn't sure about the game though. Some of the comments still made me think it wasn't my sort of game. But I tried it. Goldendog08 did a good job describing the game play. But I suggest you try it yourself to see if you like it. I enjoyed it a great deal!

Hi, juliebugs79.
Thank you for comment You are completetly right it is best way to try by yourself
Hexus isn't match3 game in the fact. It is complex of game mechanics such as board strategy game, city builder, puzzles and additionally several minigames like HOG, memories e.t.c.

Best regards, Eugene.

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by anki6969 on Jan 11, 11 2:57 PM
I really like this game! I got totally hooked and couldn´t stop playing.
Only one more level...
I liked the puzzle minigames, they were rather hard but very fun, I would have liked the option to see the picture afterwards.
The minigames with spot the difference and put the pieces on the right place were also very fun.

(I have Jane Angel too )

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 3:03 PM
anki6969 wrote:I really like this game! I got totally hooked and couldn´t stop playing.
Only one more level...
I liked the puzzle minigames, they were rather hard but very fun, I would have liked the option to see the picture afterwards.
The minigames with spot the difference and put the pieces on the right place were also very fun.

(I have Jane Angel too )

Hi, anki6969!
Thank you for kind words about Hexus. We've really put our best into the game
Also I'm really proud that both Jane Angel and Hexus are accepted good, although they differs by genre very much!
Best regards, Eugene.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 11, 11 3:15 PM
I really don't think any amount of explaining is going to make players feel ok about calling a female monarch "my Lord". I think a better term would be "your highness" or "your royal highness" - or some other term that is not gender specific. Look at terms the Queen of England is called besides Queen, perhaps.

I ended up changing to the male character because it bugged me that much.

Edited on 01/11/2011 at 3:16:00 PM PST

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 3:39 PM
gimmegames wrote:I really don't think any amount of explaining is going to make players feel ok about calling a female monarch "my Lord". I think a better term would be "your highness" or "your royal highness" - or some other term that is not gender specific. Look at terms the Queen of England is called besides Queen, perhaps.

Hi, gimmegames.
Thank you for this comment. Probbaly we'll fix "My Lord" and make it kinda "your highness". You are right.
It was my mistake made because I wanted literally (too much) bring the spirit of Egyptian Royalty. And women on Egyptian throne were considered as "Kings".

Best regards, Eugene.

muppetmel
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by muppetmel on Jan 11, 11 4:42 PM
Fantastic game. Gorgeous in every way. I like the blend of building with the puzzles, but I really enjoy the puzzles.

muppetmel
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by muppetmel on Jan 11, 11 4:45 PM
P.S. It is *very* cool to have the developer participate in the forum. I really like that. I don't have any questions on this particular game since it took me almost no time to decide I Iiked it and will buy it, but I do think, Eugene, it's great that you took the time to post here and answer questions. :-)

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 4:49 PM
muppetmel wrote:P.S. It is *very* cool to have the developer participate in the forum. I really like that. I don't have any questions on this particular game since it took me almost no time to decide I Iiked it and will buy it, but I do think, Eugene, it's great that you took the time to post here and answer questions. :-)

Hi, muppetmel.
I'm also glad to have direct connection with players that gives us (developers) very cool feedback so necessary for games quality upgrowth!
Won't be liar if I say that it is pleasure to read kind words from you! Thanks

Best regards, Eugene.

jpflier
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by jpflier on Jan 11, 11 5:08 PM
Thanks to the developer for participating in the forum. I have tried this game and find it to be interesting and different. I appreciate you trying to fix problems (glitches/typos). I had never tried your previous game and just tried it and found that a lot of the typos and item explanations (fan/ventilator) were fixed. That's what I call customer service!! Thanks for caring about your customer base. Have a great New Year and I look forward to seeing more in the future from you guys. Keep up the good work!

lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by lisam63 on Jan 11, 11 5:42 PM
lots to do in this game..
i found it strange that you have to uncheck the tutorial button to understand how to play..
anyway, i really am likeing this game alot..stuff to build, strategy good but not over difficult, dress up your player..etc..etc..
took about half thru demo to understand most of it..love it really
thx developer

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 11, 11 5:45 PM
Eugene_Duranin wrote:
gimmegames wrote:I really don't think any amount of explaining is going to make players feel ok about calling a female monarch "my Lord". I think a better term would be "your highness" or "your royal highness" - or some other term that is not gender specific. Look at terms the Queen of England is called besides Queen, perhaps.

Hi, gimmegames.
Thank you for this comment. Probbaly we'll fix "My Lord" and make it kinda "your highness". You are right.
It was my mistake made because I wanted literally (too much) bring the spirit of Egyptian Royalty. And women on Egyptian throne were considered as "Kings".

Best regards, Eugene.

I'm thinking just a few language changes like that might make a real difference in the impression the game makes on English speaking players. As an American, the name Mouses might be another small change to make like that. It's not a name I'm familiar with, in that spelling. To me a mouse is always just either a small rodent, or a computer input device for which the plural sometimes used is "mouses" , or mouses could be something someone does with a computer mouse... I think the French spelling might be Moises? At least that doesn't have me envisioning items... I've only seen the name Moses in this country, and I'm not sure you want to use the biblical name exactly...(?)

The language for the ankh description in the trophy room seemed perfect - copied from an encyclopedia maybe...

Since the game is unique, there's a lot to figure out about it in the one hour demo time, which probably contributes to impatience about language.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 5:58 PM
to lisam63, jpflier
Thanks for your comments I also wish you all the best in New Year!

to gimmegames
Have to say you thanks again for Mouses' notification. We'll surely fix it in second update (first one now is testing by BigFish). You are right I didn't want to make advisor name sounds exactly as Biblical one. But also wanted to make it similar to Moses. As you might notice watching the intro, Hexus storyline inspired by Exodus (although with some theoretical assumptions). Well, we'll probably change Mouses with Mooses (it sounds more Egyptian for me than your version )
Best regards, Eugene.

Edited on 01/11/2011 at 5:58:56 PM PST

Bexa
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Bexa on Jan 11, 11 7:24 PM
This was a "buy" for me. I like the strategy of lining up the stones and love being an Egyptian princess!

There is also a lot of replay potential in this game, so it goes in the mix to play in front of the fire on these cold winter nights!

I'm going to go look at Jane Angel!

Edited on 01/11/2011 at 7:24:33 PM PST

[Post New]by rkm204 on Jan 11, 11 7:37 PM
i just LOVE this game! really nice variety of interesting puzzles, challenging, but not too hard. no timer during main gameplay, and runs smoothly on an older laptop. haven't quite gotten the best strategy city building, but "auto build" seems to work well. going to finish dressing my queen now....

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 11, 11 8:56 PM
Eugene_Duranin wrote:to lisam63, jpflier
Thanks for your comments I also wish you all the best in New Year!

to gimmegames
Have to say you thanks again for Mouses' notification. We'll surely fix it in second update (first one now is testing by BigFish). You are right I didn't want to make advisor name sounds exactly as Biblical one. But also wanted to make it similar to Moses. As you might notice watching the intro, Hexus storyline inspired by Exodus (although with some theoretical assumptions). Well, we'll probably change Mouses with Mooses (it sounds more Egyptian for me than your version )
Best regards, Eugene.

Um, I think you better Google whatever names you think of... a moose is a large mammal with large antlers that lives in Canada. I totally cracked up laughing when I read your post...

Actually, I think an actual ancient Egyptian name as it's spelled in an American book or website like National Geographic's or The Discovery Channel's might be a good choice if the name is not a famous one. I think there's archaeological sites where tomb builders or pyramid builders lived that may have had some of their names?

Edited on 01/11/2011 at 9:26:42 PM PST

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 9:50 PM
to gimmegames:
I missed twice
Will change it completely with some Egyptian name.
BTW all name we used to know as Egyptian are Greek transcription. For example - Cheops (who build biggest pyramid) - with real name Khufu (or even Khnum-Khufu) or Ramses the Great - User-maat-re Setep-en-re
well, gotta say thank you for third time! Sometimes names and surnames sound really funny on different languages.

Best regards, Eugene.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 11, 11 10:16 PM
Eugene_Duranin wrote:to gimmegames:
I missed twice
Will change it completely with some Egyptian name.
BTW all name we used to know as Egyptian are Greek transcription. For example - Cheops (who build biggest pyramid) - with real name Khufu (or even Khnum-Khufu) or Ramses the Great - User-maat-re Setep-en-re
well, gotta say thank you for third time! Sometimes names and surnames sound really funny on different languages.

Best regards, Eugene.

That's why I mentioned the sites I did, to look for names and the spellings that might go over okay here. National Geographic, The Discovery Channel, and The History Channel produce TV shows on Egyptian archaeology and so on, and have websites that hopefully might have something useful - and those TV shows are where the public here gets a fair share of its ideas about that topic.

crystalstorm
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by crystalstorm on Jan 11, 11 10:23 PM
First, I also want to thank you Eugene for joining our forum today, others have done this but myself have not experienced any who were so diligent and responded to almost every comment as you have done. It's really nice to know that you listen to our opinions and show such a high level of concern.
I read the comments before I play and knew before I tried the demo that I was going to buy your game as soon as I saw that there were three pages of comments. As a general rule I have found (especially in this genre) that many don't bother to comment very much, good or bad.
I have found this game to be unique, challenging, pleasant, educational, interesting and fun (dressing the avatars and building the city). Wow, I could go on for quite some time but I'm sure everyone's picked up on that. So many little things that made such a big difference.
I think there's ONLY two small changes that could improve on it IMHO. I wish that during the introduction we had the additional choice of being able to move through it at our own speed Instead of following at a slow pace or skipping it entirely. I like to read it to learn the storyline and historical tidbits but I also don't like wasting time after I'm finished reading. (cont'd)

crystalstorm
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by crystalstorm on Jan 11, 11 11:15 PM
(cont'd) The second thing is the name 'Mouse' as it is strange to be reading about Egypt and at the same time picturing a fury little critter or as others thought of, a hard control device for computers. I didn't play very far in the demo so it may very well come out later as to why you chose this name for that particular character. If not is there not another Egyptian name with a similar meaning that could be used instead? That way you keep your basic idea without confusing the players. As for the term 'My Lord' I'm glad you worded it that way to allow you to keep true to the Egyptian theme and it is educational for those (including myself) who didn't know that females as well as males were considered 'Kings'. I don't know the first thing about programing games but thought that a way to help people make sense of it (understand) a bit would be to use gendre related terms in other parts of the dialogue e.g. she/they or vice versa or a term of royalty. Many people are interested in the storyline and in historical facts and IMHO feel that if you keep making these "little" changes, your original story may get lost. I know many people brought up this issue and in no way am I criticising your thoughts and opinions, just trying to see if there's a possible, reasonable compromise.
I had this straight in my head as I was playing but the game after-party sure must have put thinking straight to an end. lol
Thanks again Eugene and .
crystalstorm

PaulG
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by PaulG on Jan 12, 11 7:43 AM
I downloaded this last night after seeing all the "Eugene" interaction yesterday lol, otherwise I probably would not have bothered (all ready own enough Match 3's).

Anyway Eugene, your fault! I was up way too late last night getting that one more temple, or upgrading my boat, or adding statues ....or.... or.....!

Strictly played Adventure mode, have not tried the other two options, but now that I've bought it, I'm sure to lose yet more sleep. Only problem I had was I am playing a female. I click Male, I get female when creating a character to play. Oh well, minor issue, but she'll look like Liz Taylor in Cleopatra by the time I'm done with her!

Good work on the game.

Go to: