NOCTURNAL BOSTON NIGHTFALL

gemmabloom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

Re:NOCTURNAL BOSTON NIGHTFALL

[Post New]by gemmabloom on Dec 6, 08 1:32 PM
guylee1 wrote:Hi,

I think the problem is we all started out with games like this and were excited to see new ones come out. Then they started to come out with games that not only did you have to find things but had to use some somewhere in the game. This made the game more challenging and more fun.

I'm sorry to say but we have evolved as HO gamers. That's why we think this one is boring. Do you think I'm right about this.

Lee

Good point, Lee. I, too, love Mortimer Beckett, HE: Amazon, etc. But I liked this game BECAUSE it isn't so clever and complex that it becomes more like work. I really didn't enjoy the demos of Madame Fate and RTR because I don't want to think that hard or play a game for which I need a strategy guide. I'm playing games, not working on a cure for cancer. I hope BF continues to offer a variety of HO games and doesn't "out clever" themselves.

Edited on 12/06/2008 at 1:39:10 PM PST

MargB
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by MargB on Dec 6, 08 2:23 PM
I like all the different variaties of HO games. RTR has to be No1 fave, but this one's not too bad really.
At game club price there's nothing to lose really. Played the demo and have just bought it, its ideal for when you want to just have a quick, lazy play without using the old brain too much.

I spend a lot of time awake through the night so this is ideal for those times. I do think its a bit too dark and I have to turn the light off, but its nice and easy even in timed mode.

Have to admit, I too skip the 'simon' mini game, the other ones ok but simon drives me round the bend!

Story lines okay, I never have the sound on so music and sound effects don't bother me anyway.

xoxJulie
Stingray
Stingray
4,592 Posts

[Post New]by xoxJulie on Dec 7, 08 7:41 AM
I really wanted to like this game. But not only is it dark the items to find are really tiny, or is it just me, maybe I need to get my tired eyes checked out. The code to open the door is just plain silly with only 3 colors, it only takes 3 tries and your in. Glad I demo the game before I bought it.

[Post New]by angelsmama on Dec 22, 08 9:52 AM
This was the stupidest game I think I have ever played. Usually I at least play the whole hour of demo, but I couldn't do it with this one - so boring, and the hidden objects were way too easy. I would not recommend wasting your money on buying this one. The mini games were way too boring, and I hate the flashing memory games.

barbM
Marlin
Marlin
9,026 Posts

[Post New]by barbM on Jan 14, 09 9:33 PM
To easy, very boring. Sorry I wasted my money

[Post New]by MitsyG on Jan 15, 09 8:52 AM
bought this game at christmas and what a waste of money, there are too many "comic strips" and no explanation for the puzzles i think i will stick with MCF games they are the tops and the newest one Return to Ravenhearst is brilliant. I will therefore thank the BigFish team for coming up with another winner.

Joanie707
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by Joanie707 on Mar 11, 09 9:35 AM
xoxJulie wrote:I really wanted to like this game. But not only is it dark the items to find are really tiny, or is it just me, maybe I need to get my tired eyes checked out. The code to open the door is just plain silly with only 3 colors, it only takes 3 tries and your in. Glad I demo the game before I bought it.

I tend to follow along with the opinion that the game is too dark, when you leave nose prints on your monitor it's time to take a second look (POW) about using up a game point, I also don't care for comic book graphics as you go though it, takes the realism out of it. (I really fall into these games ,

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 16, 10 5:38 AM
This is a 2008 HOG adventure with a different spin on the social order of the undead in Boston. There is a full cast of characters with an undead culture and rules. Its more like 'True Blood' than "Twilight" but without blood sucking mayhem.

It is a straight HOG and all of the scenes are at night so there is darkness but compared to some of the games we've seen lately the objects are not small or hidden in darkness. The cut scenes are all of the graphic novel genre and they are done well. No voice acting.

There is timed and untimed play, The hints don't automatically re-fill but you can replay mini-games to get more. The mini-games are not obnoxious. The music is forgettable. Miss-clicks have score points taken away and also time is taken back in timed mode. No real heartache in "timeless" mode.

Replayable: If you go back to the game, the hidden item lists are different and the items themselves are in different places in the scenes. In timed mode, you can go back and repeat for a higher score, if you like.

The down-side is that there was to be a sequel that apparently did not get made. At least I haven't been able to find it, yet.

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Oct 17, 10 8:30 AM
Hi. I usually play and buy every HOG out there. This is one of those I won't buy because the objects are too hard to find/see or you have to click on the object just right to select it. The mini games were fun at the beginning. After several repeats they too were not a selling item. I always feel bad when I have to pass on one.

Sorry Big Fish, still not worth $4.99 and for me won't be worth $2.99 if it becomes a DD.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Dec 2, 10 4:29 PM
Overall Impression: Be glad I played this game so you don't have to. (Otherwise known as: No. I didn't like it.) I think they had an interesting premise here, but totally failed in its execution.

Media Description: I didn't find the graphics to be visually appealing at all. The music didn't bother me; but then again I don't always notice the music in games so it could have been bad too. Thankfully there were no voiceovers.

Storyline: A woman wakes up in a pool of blood. A stranger standing nearby tells her she's dead and has only a few hours to find the items she's going to need to determine whether she's a good guy or a bad guy for the rest of her existence. The story is told through comic-book style panels that are not only not visually appealing (really, they look like they were drawn by early-level art students, not professionals) but unnecessarily shocking in a couple of spots as well. (I really didn't need to see that the girl wears thong underwear.) And the ending made absolutely no sense at all.

Gameplay: pretty much a straight HOG with a minigame (1 of three different kinds) between each level

HOG Scenes: dark, grainy, cluttered scenes with a liberal dose of velcro and objects that have been altered in size. There really is no rhyme or reason for why things are placed where they are. Because of that, things can be a bit difficult to find at times; but with enough patience, they can usually be found. Each scene has a timer which counts down. If you don't complete the scene within the timeframe, you're given the option to repeat it. Don't know what happens if you choose not to repeat it; didn't think to test that out. Time is taken off the clock if you have too many misclicks.

Minigames/puzzles: There are three different kinds. The most difficult one is the Simon Says kind because it keeps adding levels every time you come back to it. I think I got up to 17 levels for it before I started skipping it. I didn't find the other two (a memory match and a guess-which-color-goes-where) to be very difficult at all. Thankfully all of the puzzles could be skipped if you wanted to.

Hints: Technically the hint system is unlimited, but you have to work for them by playing the minigames. You get so many hints for completing the minigame and then have the option to play it again if you want more.

Basically if you don't like games that strain your eyes, you won't like this game. Otherwise, you might like.

Go to: