barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Murder Island: Secret of Tantalus

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 30, 11 1:01 PM
Thank you for all the reviews. I wasn't expecting a good game today, there are seldom good ones on Sunday for some reason. 4 pm and just now checking.

I'll have to give it a go. I will probably like it since the reviewers who love it usually like the same ones I do.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 30, 11 1:05 PM
cottoncandy2 wrote:I'm sorry, but could they have made this game ANY easier? I mean come on. If I need that many hints then I'm in big trouble. Every time you turn around it's, "Oh, there's a XXXX. I could use that on the >>>. Oh, boy, a ????. That would do this or that. I played about five minutes and then uninstalled.

I hear ya, but...
there is something for everyone. There are plenty of games out there too difficult for me and there are a lot too easy for you. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

If they were all difficult a lot of us would be out of luck. For instance I cannot play Azada... too hard. So different strokes for different folks. I'd just hate to be the game developer who has to try and please everyone.

The best games have at least two levels of play.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jan 30, 11 1:18 PM
cottoncandy2 wrote:I'm sorry, but could they have made this game ANY easier? I mean come on. If I need that many hints then I'm in big trouble. Every time you turn around it's, "Oh, there's a XXXX. I could use that on the >>>. Oh, boy, a ????. That would do this or that. I played about five minutes and then uninstalled.

The first thought that came to mind -- when I read that you'd only played for 5 minutes is -- THAT'S probably the tutorial. Some games will AUTOMATICALLY start you off with a tutorial while other games will ASK if you want the tutorial. Am downloading now to ascertain whether I'll like it or not so can't say for sure, just yet.

MEnr56

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jan 30, 11 1:21 PM
Howatch wrote:The developers of this game, Big Finish Games, are the same developers of 3 Cards to Midnight and 3 Cards to Dead Time, both available from Big Fish. I thought I would mention this for those of you who might be interested.

Okay, NOW I'm VERY interested in looking at this game; bought and played BOTH of the above-mentioned games and while 3 Cards to Midnight was VERY difficult for me compared to 3 Cards to Dead Time -- I THOROUGHLY enjoyed both games.

MEnr56

Nynaeve70
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by Nynaeve70 on Jan 30, 11 1:32 PM
I was one of the beta testers for this game. I have filled one game card this month and only one punch on the new one. Since I doubt I'll get enough to get a second card full - this one is a February purchase.

dawn_j72
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by dawn_j72 on Jan 30, 11 1:42 PM
Thank goodness I came back to look at this game! I woke up at 5am. and thought the game said Secret of the Tarantulas and thought No way am I trying that I hate and am freakishly scared of spiders....sorta feel a little dumb now!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 30, 11 2:08 PM
I like the theme of this game,but the voices and acting are so bad, I'm not sure I can take it. I am really easy to please when it comes to games. The game play go left screen, and then right screen, then turn yourself around, that's the Hokie Pokie and that's what it's all about. lol

I would'nt pay money for it, but for a punch card, I will be getting it. I might have to mute the actor's voices. lol I'd reccomend that you try this game to see if you like it.

I'm rate this: "PORK BELLY"

My "Terms" for Hogs,IHogs,Frogs & Other types of games.

FINE SWINE:
Great game. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

PIGLET:
Good game. Your basic run of the mill Hog. Only for true hog lover's.

PORK BELLY:
Likable game. For some, but not for everyone.

TROTTER:
Bad game. Pig's foot, don't run away with buying it. lol

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd. Bad, Bad game, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.

' '
(o)

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 30, 11 2:30 PM

Love the game, its like being in the middle of a murder mystery as it unfolds. Great story development!

I'm just taking a little break as I've been playing it for over 7 hours without much interruption. Still not finished.

My only cranky-pants reaction is that sometimes when going back to the same scenes for further object hunting, many of the previously selected objects are back in the same place as previous.

OK, happy dancing around my computer now as I go back to play this game.......

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jan 30, 11 3:23 PM
I guess it's just me but have the hidden objects been getting smaller & smaller? One of the scenes asked for 3 peppers. Well one was obvious if smaller than 1/16th of an inch and the other 2 were the size of pin heads!! I got a head ache just trying to find objects. Also since so many people now have wide screen computers why oh why don't they at least give us the option of "opening up" the screen? I am so tired of looking like it is a windowed game (black bars on the side). ok enough complaining, I will say on the positive side that the story line is very interesting and Different! YEAH kind of tired like the rest of the fishes of looking for grandpa, grandma or mom & dad! Still all in all a no buy for me (geez and I need to buy 2 more before midnight tomorrow!) Come on BFG give us some good-uns!!

Happy Gaming Fishies

Lean

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 30, 11 3:29 PM
No problems finding things, no glitches. It's a fairly routine ihog (I didn't get stuck anywhere and I didn't need a walkthrough), carried along by the story. The ending is a nice surprise.

The author is Aaron Conners. Need I say more?

shanyem
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by shanyem on Jan 30, 11 3:29 PM
I like that the story isn't the usual we've seen for SO long - find grandfather, father, etc. I like that the **** areas are different - although sometimes hard to make out the items. I'm going to finish the demo (about 15 min left) then make my decision. I do think it's going to be a buy for me!

blood123
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by blood123 on Jan 30, 11 3:42 PM
janspack wrote:Well, I've just finished the game and have enjoyed it. I agree the graphics might have been better and sometimes the hints were a bit intrusive but I tried to ignore them and not read them as much as I could unless I was really stuck.

The story line had a good twist at the end which helped to keep the interest going for me anyway. Perhaps I'm easily pleased but I feel this game (which took me just under 5 hours) was worth it's price. Think it will be replayable in the future once I've forgotten most of the plot etc. Won't take me long with a memory like mine! lol

gama58
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by gama58 on Jan 30, 11 3:56 PM
I read the reviews and thought that I might not like this game, but after playing it I found that I enjoyed it very much. I will just have to wait until next month to purchase it.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 30, 11 4:14 PM
Great game that plays with no difficulties. At first I was like some others thinking "this is too easy -- too much handholding", but as the game progressed the extra hints disappeared. The developers did a beautiful job of seamlessly integrating the "tutorial" into the beginning of the game. They familiarized the player with the mechanics of the game, and then the extra helps faded away. I really liked the way that was done. But that means you need to play much longer than 10 -15 min to get a real feel for the game.

Hated the cursor penalty, but got used to it. The positive aspects of the game outweigh that negative aspect.

Loved the graphics and voice-overs. Liked that you can click through dialogue quickly if you want to read fast or skip. Interactive objects were fun. This is a quality game.

To those having problems with running games. BF has already stated that the DRM or copy protection that they use can cause some problems with some games. If you have an issue with a BF game, but the same game runs OK on other sites, it might be the BF copy protection. CS may be able to help you with this. Also make sure your firewall. anti-virus, and/or other defense programs are open to allow BigFish programs to download and install correctly. Sometimes mine wants to "sandbox" BF games or part of games and that causes them to not run correctly.

Sometimes I have to adjust screen brightness or gamma for games that appear dark on my monitor. This game was one of those. I adjusted the gamma a little lighter and it made a vast difference in how easy H0 scenes were to complete.

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on Jan 30, 11 4:32 PM
The cursor changes to a hand to show you where items are - I hate that. Not for me.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jan 30, 11 4:52 PM
It does, but to be fair in each H0 scene there is only one "combination" object to find & the hand only shows you the parts that go with that and none of the other objects needed to be found.

In other places the hand curser can be a godsend if you are stuck & do not know why as it can show you that elusive key or what have you.

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Jan 30, 11 5:10 PM
I love this interactive map; instead of wasting a lot of time lost, I can move easily between active scenes! This is a great idea! I agree that the cursor movements are a bit jerky now and then, and some of the items and areas are not as crisp as others, but I love the location, I love the new plot, and it is great to have something different for a change. Thanks so much for getting me out of the haunted house rut and providing something else besides a search for a lost relative! This is a pleasant change!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 30, 11 5:25 PM
I agree, the box popping up at the bottom all the time is extremely annoying. I know what I need to do, I'm well over the age of 3 so I don't need to be told all the time. That aside, I liked the game. A lot of back and forth, but that's okay too. I like being able to skip unnecessary jabber...beside, I read faster than they talk. I like being able to disarm the custom cursor. Real people rather than comics is a plus to me as well. Don't know how long this is, but just purchased anyway. Hopefully I won't be diappointed. As always, thanks for all the great reviews, good and bad. Have a great week!

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Jan 30, 11 6:07 PM
Heatheringon wrote:

Sorry, Justme, I don't have problems with Big Fish games, but have had trouble on other sites, which I don't bother going to anymore because there is no way in this decade that I'm paying 19.99 for a game when I can get it for 6.99. Another reason I don't go to other sites is because if they have a game that I like chances are Big Fish won't pick it up and I'll be pining for it and it will never come. But anyway, sometimes I think its the way we have our computers configured is why we have trouble with some sites and not with others.

You said the exact same thing on another post for another game today! Do you work for BFG?? lol

Re: this game... I wanted to like it as I love Greece and mysteries but it was so tedious and items were so small. Lost my interest early on....maybe for $2.99!

Edited on 01/30/2011 at 6:12:38 PM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 30, 11 6:19 PM
I like the game and I thought the voice acting was A 1. Very realistic. The graphics could have been a big sharper. The story is excellent and so different... no haunted house, no grandfather, or a girl named Anna on a quest to save someone. Very unique.

I love the map... saves on my sneakers. I also love that it tells you what areas still have things to do.

Just once in a game I'd like to find a door or chest that DOESN'T need a key.

And thankfully, so far, I haven't seen any crawling bugs! Ugh! Lately all the games have them and I sometimes take my meals while I play.... not too appetizing.

Great job developers on your uniqueness and quality.

Also thanks to Cherb and Goofy for the great reviews.

Edited on 01/30/2011 at 6:21:12 PM PST

Go to: