hop0409
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

Re:Should be charged 1/2 price for 1/2 of a game!

[Post New]by hop0409 on Feb 16, 11 10:27 PM
Thank you everyone for the input...based on what you've said, I think I'll go for it. I'm dying to find out what happens next!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Feb 16, 11 11:22 PM
Hi there jr499,
I must admit I haven't read all of the pages in your post as I am rushed for time, but I am responding to your original premise.
Well...in actual fact, you are not paying for half a game per se, but for the first instalment. It is up to you as to whether you are sufficiently interested enough to continue on with what maybe a series.
On a number of different game review/discussion sites there has been a lot of discussion about this...set up the basic game idea/play, offer a decent length of the first instalment, and then add to this at a (hopefully) regular basis - Captain Brau (I might have the spelling wrong here) is another of this ilk.
And...there are already a LOT of games here that some of us are eagerly awating a sequel to that seem to have taken AGES.
So, if this is the way to go with casual gaming...I don't personally have a problem with it as long as we are alerted beforehand, each instalment is of an acceptable length, the game does not degenerate into "more of the same, blah, blah, blah", does not have reduced production values to "get published" and the further chapters/instalments are available in a more frequent amount of time than the sequels.
I suppose it will be up to each individual as to whether they wish to continue down this path. Me? I can't wait for the next instalment of this game....and, if is were to be as entertaining as the first...maybe "join up" for others to come!!
Cheers

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Feb 17, 11 12:23 AM
Spoiler Alert

Do not read on if you do not want to know how the game ends. Which I am explaining to make the point that this is not half a game.

Although the game ends on a cliffhanger, I did not feel it ended in the middle of the action, since the 4 episodes cover one night of Dahlia's adventure, and that night gets tied up nicely at the end. Although she has not met all of the Cirque Terrible troupe members or gotten all of the recipe parts for the sun potion, it is close to dawn when the game closes, Dahlia has defeated the villains (at least temporarily) and there isn't much more that she can do at this point in time since she is a vampire and doesn't have the sun potion yet, so she will have to go hideout inside during the daylight. It is a good place to end the game, and her next adventure can start in the next game on another night.

This game kept me busy for a long time. Each episode took me around 2 hours to finish and I stretched that out over a few days, so no complaints here on length. I used a credit to purchase the game, and even if I hadn't used a credit and paid $6.99 instead, I still feel as if I would have gotten my money's worth.

Because I watch a lot of serialized TV and have read serialized books, cliffhangers don't bother me as much as other people here, so I didn't mind it ending on a cliffhanger. I just hope the next game comes out in less than a year.

Edited for clarity: I read an interview with Charlaine Harris that says she thinks it is possible that Dying for Daylight could become a 3 part series (this has not been confirmed, it's just what Harris says she thinks could be possible in an interview), so if it does become a 3 part series, then I would think it is possible that the next game could end on a cliffhanger too. (I do not know this for sure, I am just guessing based on information provided by Charlaine Harris in a recent interview).

Edited on 02/17/2011 at 7:56:52 PM PST

mszoomy
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by mszoomy on Feb 17, 11 2:19 AM
If you pay for a game you expect to be able to complete the game
Imagine buying Monopoly and not getting the money or a chess set and only getting the white pieces.
This isn't a series. I've played games in a series before and there is still a clear beginning and end. In the begining of this game it was CLEAR that we were supposed to find all 8 members of the circus when in fact the games ENDS abruptly after finding only 4. I admit that the game took a decent amount of time to play but that's not the point. I think that they should have made it clear that this was an in complete game, perhaps calling it Part 1 or episode 1. Even so, I've played games that are supposedly "to be continued" and they never left me hanging and feeling so incomplete as this one did and who's to say that we will ever see part 2!! After all look at Faunasphere as a perfect example. And I know of 2 other online games (one on FB and one elsewhere) that have shut down this week. Who's to say that the company that made this game won't close it's doors or find $$$ in other areas and never complete this one...................

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Feb 17, 11 2:27 AM
Hi there...
Whilst I am the last person to criticise others for stating their opinion...I am also at the stage of my life where I prefer the glass half full approach instead of the glass half empty. Makes for a more positive outlook for me. Others are of course perfectly in their right to have a different approach.
Cheers
ETA...I did purchase a board game in the "past" which had a number of component parts missing. No need to go into more details here...suffice to say not all is perfect in Monopoly Land or Other Game Land.

Edited on 02/17/2011 at 2:35:29 AM PST

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Feb 17, 11 2:50 AM
zeiladae wrote:
birdcatfish wrote:Obviously, some people haven't read all the posts and are making assumptions. *eyeroll*

For the last 3 days when I come to this board. This thread has been at the top of the first page.

I really like this game and I don't feel cheated because it ends after episode 4.

But if I did feel that way, I would realize that it was my fault for buying it without researching it first. For instance, I bought jack of all trades and I don't like it. I'm not going to demand my money back. There was nothing wrong with BFG selling it to me, afterall, I was at BFG looking to buy a game. I'm not going to complain to the developers about their game, I'm not their only customer. They didn't make it for me, they made it to make money to pay their bills. And if I was their only customer, I most certainly couldn't get one half of an episode for $6.99, unless it was a text only game.

This just proves my point. As my previous posts have said. I checked the forums before I downloaded the trial version. At that time NO one had mentioned that the game, quite suddenly AND without warning, ended at the fourth chapter. Are you saying that I should have gone off and researched the game elsewhere? I don't think so. I think the game should have been titled 'part one' and that the description should have made it clear that it ended after episode four. I wouldn't have purchased this game if that had been stated up front. Though I enjoyed the game play, graphics and characters, the ending was a huge disappointment and left me feeling cheated.

[Post New]by Jindry on Feb 17, 11 5:49 AM
I too agree that it wasn't worth what we paid.. or at the very least when the "2nd" half comes out we should get it for free. It should have clearly stated that it was the first half of a story. I mean I wouldn't have paid for it had I known it wasn't a complete story line. I feel like I got ripped off.

LadyWyntre
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by LadyWyntre on Feb 17, 11 9:17 AM
I've defended the whining (and done some whining myself) here, so I do want to make something very clear.

My only issue is the labeling.

I would be perfectly happy to buy part II. I would be perfectly happy to buy part III, if it comes to that. I demand, however, to know that I'm buying part I if that is what I'm doing. I shouldn't have to come to the forums and be at spoiler risk to know that.

The price is fine, the game is great, the length is good.

The labeling is misleading, wrong, and--I believe--unethical marketing.

jr449
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by jr449 on Feb 17, 11 2:00 PM
roxiestar74 wrote:Spoiler Alert

Do not read on if you do not want to know how the game ends. Which I am explaining to make the point that this is not half a game.

Although the game ends on a cliffhanger, I did not feel it ended in the middle of the action, since the 4 episodes cover one night of Dahlia's adventure, and that night gets tied up nicely at the end. Although she has not met all of the Cirque Terrible troupe members or gotten all of the recipe parts for the sun potion, it is close to dawn when the game closes, Dahlia has defeated the villains (at least temporarily) and there isn't much more that she can do at this point in time since she is a vampire and doesn't have the sun potion yet, so she will have to go hideout inside during the daylight. It is a good place to end the game, and her next adventure can start in the next game on another night.

This game kept me busy for a long time. Each episode took me around 2 hours to finish and I stretched that out over a few days, so no complaints here on length. I used a credit to purchase the game, and even if I hadn't used a credit and paid $6.99 instead, I still feel as if I would have gotten my money's worth.

Because I watch a lot of serialized TV and have read serialized books, cliffhangers don't bother me as much as other people here, so I didn't mind it ending on a cliffhanger. I just hope the next game comes out in less than a year.

I read an interview with Charlaine Harris that says she sees this game having 3 parts, so don't be surprised if the next game ends on a cliffhanger too.

so, according to you, this is 1/3 of a complete game, and therefore we should be charged 1/3 the price? The last time that I checked there are 3 one thirds to make a whole. My point is the the title of the game which should be: "Charlene Harris: Dying for Daylight--Part 1". This way the consumer can make an informed decision at that point to purchase what appears to be part 1 of a series. I have no problem with that because I can either purchase the game and know at that time that there would be future games to complete the series.

The problem here is the title (which is misleading and unethical) and the way the game unfolds. For example, the poster which leads me to believe that I can get all of the potion requirements from the circus members, which are 7 or 8 vampires. I cannot get this until part 2 and now you are saying part 3? I thank you a thousand times

[Post New]by YourGrace54 on Feb 17, 11 2:11 PM
I was also a bit disappointed in the *sudden ending* of the game for the simple reason is I was enjoying it so much and then *POOF*.....I can hardly wait till the next section of this game comes to BF (c'mon devs, get going on it, ok? You got me panting to get to the next part!)
I truely enjoyed the graphics and gameplay but my favorite part was the humor.... I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!
Just my 2 cents worth....Carry on, Fishies!

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Feb 17, 11 4:37 PM
LadyWyntre wrote:I've defended the whining (and done some whining myself) here, so I do want to make something very clear.

My only issue is the labeling.

I would be perfectly happy to buy part II. I would be perfectly happy to buy part III, if it comes to that. I demand, however, to know that I'm buying part I if that is what I'm doing. I shouldn't have to come to the forums and be at spoiler risk to know that.

The price is fine, the game is great, the length is good.

The labeling is misleading, wrong, and--I believe--unethical marketing.

EXACTLY! My point as well! Though I believe it's not only unethical, but greedy on the developers part.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Feb 17, 11 7:10 PM
jr449 wrote:
roxiestar74 wrote:Spoiler Alert

I read an interview with Charlaine Harris that says she sees this game having 3 parts, so don't be surprised if the next game ends on a cliffhanger too.

so, according to you, this is 1/3 of a complete game, and therefore we should be charged 1/3 the price? The last time that I checked there are 3 one thirds to make a whole. My point is the the title of the game which should be: "Charlene Harris: Dying for Daylight--Part 1". This way the consumer can make an informed decision at that point to purchase what appears to be part 1 of a series. I have no problem with that because I can either purchase the game and know at that time that there would be future games to complete the series.

The problem here is the title (which is misleading and unethical) and the way the game unfolds. For example, the poster which leads me to believe that I can get all of the potion requirements from the circus members, which are 7 or 8 vampires. I cannot get this until part 2 and now you are saying part 3? I thank you a thousand times

I never said that it was 1/3 of a game. That would be your words. I said that the next game might end with a cliffhanger too since Charlaine Harris thinks that Dying for Daylight could be made in to a series of 3 separate games. If you actually read all of my post you would see that I was quite satisfied with the game as a whole. Yes it had a cliffhanger, but I did not think that meant it was 1/2 a game (or 1/3 a game) like some other people here have been saying. It gave me many hours of enjoyment and I felt that it was well worth the price. Unlike other people here, I was not complaining about the game at all. I was trying to prove the point that even though it ends on a cliffhanger that I still found the ending satisfying. It had some resolution yet still managed to leave it open ended enough that there can be a sequel. It left me wanting more, and that's what a good game should do.

juliesherris
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by juliesherris on Feb 19, 11 5:24 AM
Sigh..... yep, I'll be buying the 2nd half of this game - but I do wish we had been told that it was a 2-parter beforehand.
I do try & read the reviews before even trying them & I did that here, but again, I somehow missed the 'part 1' posts.

I'm not particularly a fast player, but I got this last night & have finished it already - although, no, I haven't finished it, have I? I got the poster, had a look at all the characters & was looking forward to going around all 8 of them - oh no, the game stops after the first 4.

Even the referencing within the game didn't alert me to the fact that in order to COMPLETE this, I'd have to spend out twice. So, I'm on the fence here a bit - I love BFG & only use them for my games, but I am getting a bit p*ssed off at all the collector's games & now, if we are going to have to pay twice to complete a game, well maybe it's not worth buying that particular genre.

I wouldn't have minded if I'd been made aware BEFORE buying - it's just the sneaky way this was advertised, I think. People have likened this to going off to the cinema for the LOTR or HP films - but we KNOW it's going to be part 1 or 2, etc - we didn't know that about this game until it was too late.

I've really cut down on my buying over the last few months because of the short game lengths and the CE's - I used to fill 2 stamp cards (and then some!), but I'm lucky if I am buying 3 games a month now - shame.

[Post New]by hazelfader on Feb 19, 11 7:46 AM
I have just got to the end of the 4th chapter and I take it that is it! I had just got really into it and was very disappointed at the sudden and abrupt end. Adding more episides to a saga is fine but I feel as though it just stopped midway through a story.

Price is not the issue, an increased price for the full version would be fine. I just feel it is unfair to sell half a game without a part 1 advert. Very disappointing as I enjoyed the game and would have wanted to buy others from the game authors.

Give games an accurate description then people will not be disappointed.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Feb 19, 11 11:58 AM
If anyone of you who are complaining about the game ending abruptly had bothered reading the Comments and Reviews Forum before buying the game (I always do), you would have seen CasualGran's comment on Feb. 12: "EDIT after finishing the game: It has a sequel! So, you'll only be playing the first 4 episodes!"

It really pays to read the posts!

Gail

Edited on 02/19/2011 at 12:04:47 PM PST

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 19, 11 7:04 PM
Jindry wrote:I too agree that it wasn't worth what we paid.. or at the very least when the "2nd" half comes out we should get it for free. It should have clearly stated that it was the first half of a story. I mean I wouldn't have paid for it had I known it wasn't a complete story line. I feel like I got ripped off.

Sorry you feel this way. I got twice as much enjoyment out of this game as I did the CE Maestro that I paid twice as much for.

It also ended in a 'to be continued' way -- story only partially finished. Most games do now because they always want to leave it open for a sequel -- nothing new.

And in reply to another -- I often research games on other sites before buying here. There are places where they publish non-partial reviews that help me decide on a game. And on at least one other site it was labeled as Chapter 1 insinuating that it was only the beginning.

Edited on 02/19/2011 at 7:08:19 PM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Feb 19, 11 7:27 PM
ScaniX wrote:You did not buy 1/2 of a game. It is complete, just the story isn't finished yet.
Did you pay 1/3 for the cinema ticket of "Lord of the Rings"? Just because it only told 1/3 of the story?

Hi there ScaniX,
I wish I had taken the time to find your post. As someone else has pointed out ... what a great analogy ... and all of the books and movies cost more than $6.99 where I live ... and I can replay this game however many times I like without having to pay again.
Might I also add the "Harry Potter" series to your list ... and the "last" book has been made into 2 movies!!!
And yes mcurty...a lot of people have recently paid a higher price for a CE game that took some of them, supposedly, the same amount of time to finish that this game did.
Unfinished stories and "To be Continued"? There are a lot of them around. And some of the sequels have taken ages to develop or appear. Hopefully the next instalment of this delightful game is aloready in the pipeline.
Cheers

ETA Apparently there is a new "Puppetshow" game coming out soon. And the sequel to the "Serpent of Isis" has also been mentioned elsewhere as "coming soon".
And how many of us are also awaiting for the next Azada and/or the next Hidden Expedition game....which also ended as a "to be coninued" and was due last year?

Edited on 02/19/2011 at 7:34:42 PM PST

[Post New]by micvav on Feb 19, 11 8:16 PM
I don't mind a cliffhanger but... that information should have been clearly labeled on the web page for the game. Otherwise you have engaged in false advertising. I don't want a refund on this game--I want the whole game.

jr449
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by jr449 on Feb 19, 11 8:36 PM
mcurty, I also purchased CE Maestro, and loved it because I was able to complete the origional objective during the game. Unlike the Carlaine Harris: Dying for Daylight game (CHDFD), I could not. I think that you miss the whole point. I do believe that most of the posts are saying that the CHDFD game was a steller game in terms of graphics, story line, sound play, and etc. What people are amazed and startled about is how the story went POOF, without warning, and then said "continued" just as it had said earlier during the other 3 episodes of the game. Then at the end of chapter 4, we kept trying to click all over the place to "continue" the game to chapter 5. And any reasonable person would do that because the poster and game lead us to believe there were 7 or 8 circus members to get pieces of the sun potion. I felt the story and title was misleading because we could not accomplish this ojective during that game. So, the story line is not complete, only 1/2 complete, because we could not complete the objective during game play. And back to you comparing CHDFD to CE Maestro. When you total the first 1/2 of CHDFD and the second 1/2 they cost just as much as a CE. And I would have purchased a CE of CHDFD and would have been happy with that.
I believe this is the 1st time that I have ever posted a reply to any game. And if you notice that most of the replies were made by gamers who do not post often. (This does not mean that we are new to gaming; personally I have been a 4 year member and have purchased 100's of games from BF. If this game is starting a presidence for future games, then I will not be purchasing games like that, where they just stop in the middle of a game. If you notice I am not the only person who feels this way. Just look at the amount of posts and people who looked at what other people are sayng regarding the topic " should be 1/2 price for 1/2 a game". If you purchase something and you can do all of the research in the world, then to find out that you are not satisfied with something what are you supposed to do? Voice your opinion! I believe that the title should have been: "Charlene Haris: Dying for Daylight--Part 1". This title would have set the stage to let the potential consumer know that there would be future games to continue the series. This would be fair adversizing to the consumer. I am not trying to get 2 games for the price of 1. The developers are trying to get 1 story for the price of 2 games!

Edited on 02/20/2011 at 12:41:20 AM PST

[Post New]by bigwill211970 on Feb 19, 11 11:44 PM
darkhalf01 wrote:I felt they did the ending quite well...it finished her side mission and made us hang out to finish the rest of the main mission.

I do agree with jr449 though that it should have had Part 1 in the title so everyone was forewarned.

Go to: