Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Matches and Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Mar 9, 11 9:17 AM
I have to say that at first I thought the game was horrible. I dislike reading a lot in games, especially when I already know the subject matter well. I stopped playing after 5 minutes. Then the next day I thought I would try it again before deleting it from my computer. Giving it a really good try, I was hooked. It really is a little gem if you take the time to really unearth it.

There are 9 different outcomes and one simple little error can throw you off on the whole game. Knowing the Austen books well will help, but even so, you still need to follow the directions to gain the desired outcome as there are little twists that aren't in the books. There are hints available in the beginning after you finish your first outcome, but they are given so that you can get the level of help you want with out coming out and giving you the answer. There is also the option of skipping the dialogue after you have completed your first outcome so you don't have to read everything again if you don't wish to. Overall, a very enjoyable and frustrating/challenging game (if you are trying to get Mr. Darcy).

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Matches and Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

[Post New]by gamineannie on Mar 11, 11 7:58 PM
A very pleasant little game. Makes me want to pick up Jane Austen's works, which I've never read. The humor is great and the choices to make end with different outcomes. I've played partway through twice, ending up with the vicar, quitting right away, and then powered up her willpower to the point where she finally told him "uhuh, no way!" and ended up a spinster instead. This one definitely has replay value and I, too, thank BFG for a fine piece of gameplay!

[Post New]by lloydy66 on Mar 13, 11 5:57 AM
I downloaded free trial of this game and uninstalled after "playing" 1st chapter. I use the word "playing" loosely as you can hardly call it a game. There is very little interactive gameplay just clicking through endless dialogue. The developers have missed a trick with this one i e when you choose to play loo with the sisters, you should ACTUALLY be able to play it and it smacks of laziness.

I was very disappointed ....

[Post New]by jessicadaisy on Mar 16, 11 2:44 PM
What a cute game! A fan of Austen's works, I thought this was a great way to "roleplay" her most famous character, Elizabeth Bennet from Pride & Prejudice. That being said, there could have been more to the game, as it is easy to get all 9 endings in one evening.

If you enjoy this type of game, try Cute Knight.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Mar 19, 11 1:02 AM
This game will take up one of my monthly punch cards in the next few days. I found it to be absolutely delightful. I'm already setting up in my head how I'm going to play my first three rounds, and it will be most interesting to see whom I end up with, if anyone.

I'm quite familiar with Jane Austen and her works even though I've never read any of them. When I was growing up and of an age where most girls start reading her books, I was reading Zane Grey, Nancy Drew, (later) Mary Stewart, and the like. I've seen several movies based upon her books over the years. I suspect this game may get me to finally start reading them.

As far as the reading part of the game, I don't find that to be a problem as I'm an avid reader, anyway. The graphics are limited and cartoony, but they just set the background for the action which is all in the text, so that isn't a big thing. I like being able to go back a bit and change my mind about what I want to say - if only we had that ability in real life. <sigh>

Overall, this is a game that some folks will like and some won't, just like every other game that's put out. For those of us who like it, happy gaming. For those of you who don't, keep looking around. I'll bet that there's a game out there that you'll love once you find it.

ETA - Off Topic: Forgot to ask - several folks have likened this game to Cute Knight. I tried that game out but always ran out of time. The seasons changed, and I wasn't ready for it. I tried to find a way to change it to fix that or whatever - it's been a while since I tried it and I don't recall the details. Anyone have a quick solution to that? A PM would be great if you do, 'cause I know I'm off topic here. I just wanted to ask where there were folks who were obviously into Cute Knight. Thanks.

Edited on 03/19/2011 at 1:06:26 AM PST

[Post New]by fcdrummerchick88 on Mar 26, 11 1:46 PM
I loved the game, simply put.

[Post New]by Shannon282007 on Mar 27, 11 8:03 AM
There is a LOT of dialog in this game. It's more of an interactive novel. Calling it a game is really an unfair description. Those who like Jane Austin will like this. It was interesting to see how the different choices affected the character you play in the game. It was just ok in my book.

J4zberg
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by J4zberg on Mar 29, 11 6:21 AM
Well, I'm a "HUGE" Jane Austen fan and I'm not sure whether I'll buy it or not. I'm only 30 minutes into my trial. I keep getting distracted by references to "Victorian" times and the main character reading people like Oscar Wilde. Jane Austen and the Bennet's lived in Regency times (early 19th century - George III insane, decadent sons running things) and Oscar Wilde wasn't even born yet. It kind of annoys me that the developers seem to be trying to educate me when they don't apparently know their subject very well.

I doesn't seem to be bothering other Austen fans, however. Interacting with the story is a fun idea. I'll probably come back to it and finish the trial before deciding how much gigantic historical bloopers bother me.

amber555
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by amber555 on Apr 1, 11 6:41 PM
Played through the demo, but didn't like it enough to buy. I'm a big P&P fan so I have to agree with the historical inaccuracies that others have mentioned. Couldn't an actual P&P fan, or English Lit. major have helped out with the script?

I'm an avid reader, and was a fan of "choose your own adventure" type stories as a kids, so I don't mind the extensive reading. My biggest problem with the game is that players just don't have enough opportunities to make decisions. If conversations went on longer, with more opportunities to make choices and interact, or if we actually had to navigate our way through the weekday activities too that would be great. Ooh, and how about being able to pick the cloth our paper dolls wear to each event with this choices affecting our propriety, wit, etc? That would have been an interesting added feature.

As it is, I just got bored with how often I was clicking "next" without anything else to do.Too much story, and not enough game here. It's a great concept for a game, but I felt it failed in the execution.

[Post New]by rcasella on Apr 2, 11 7:16 PM
rcasella wrote:Wow! Just because we are Jane Austen fans doesn't mean you have to insult our intelligence by the lack of material, content, and computer graphics. This game is laughable and nauseating at the same time. The idea is great and I really hope that someone will create an Austen world that allows us to get lost.

Okay, I will soften my comments because the irony of my complaining is that I still bought the silly thing! I am a sucker for anything JA. I will say that once you get over the EXTREMELY cheesy and rough formatting and graphics (not to mention that Mr. Wilde wasn't even born yet when Austen was alive!), I did enjoy trying to get the different outcomes. However, it is extremely painful having to go with Wickham/Willoughby in order to complete the nine scenarios!

Edited on 04/02/2011 at 7:22:01 PM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 17, 11 6:58 PM
Pearly11 wrote:They keep on mentioning what was expected of a woman in 'Victorian Times' but the set is actually in Napoleonic or Biederme[i]er times. I doubt Mr Ben[n]ett would have taken to wear a wig in Victorian times. But I forgive the developing team for this little hickup unless it was intended for some reason I can't understand.
Not really good terms for Austen's period in England.
J4zberg wrote:Jane Austen and the Bennets lived in Regency times (early 19th century - George III insane, decadent sons running things)
and that's the usual terminology.

As for whether they intended it, anybody who can use "invite" as though it were standard for "invitation" is working from ignorance, not a hidden agenda.

[Post New]by icebreaker151 on Aug 16, 11 7:31 AM
This is one of the best games I've ever bought through Big Fish.
For adult (especially ladies, I believe) who enjoy brain racking strategy type of games, this game is quite extremely challenging. I haven't read the book Pride & Prejudice, therefore I didn't know any story about it to do with the game. Which only making my brain going havoc trying to solve the problem even more, I hardly put the game down until I finished it. I played non stop for 3 days *blush*

A very exciting game, 5***** for me, worth every penny.
It even got me curious to buy the book after ^_*

I wish there are more games like this, the creator should've made more!
ENCORE! ENCORE!

Edited on 08/16/2011 at 7:32:38 AM PST

[Post New]by penguinlvr23 on Apr 22, 12 4:29 PM
I loved this game and wished there was more like it! Although, obviously, it is more of a girly game i think that there should be more of it. However, I do agree with 'DMH5321' that it probably isnt worth the $6.99 credit. But I really like the story line so... I bought it. also, I need help to find out how to get Mr Darcy. Please Help!

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Jul 24, 12 1:40 AM
Wow this is SO unique & unlike anything I've ever played before.
Let me just start by saying I am female, and I am a veteran of the US military so dont go off thinking I'm...Strawberry Shortcake or anything. LOL. Not to say that military women cant be dainty & all that...but I APPARENTLY am suffering from some sort of paranoia that playing this game will typecast me as girly. More LOL.

Anyway, I had to stop about 30 minutes into the demo because I have to go to bed, but this will very likely be a "buy" for me because its just so different from anything I have ever tried!

It appears as though the devs of this game have put quite a lot of thought, care & hard work into it and you can not imagine how much I've been longing for exactly that in a game for a long time now. In this era of the 3 hour gameplay, typical formula hog game I am totally up for something as different as this!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Aug 10, 12 2:44 PM
I can't figure out if I like this game or not. its 2.99 right now and Im sitting here wondering about the 9 different endings. I mean right now the yucky mr collins loves me but I know how to turn him off next time. I talked to him too much in the beginning sigh. After the first couple chapters, I kept playing to find out what happened. Its like all my choices decide something different. I thought I was going to end up the spinster but noooo the yucky one is after me. I also insulted the military man, my sister ended up with bingley and mr darcy doesn't do it for me and vice versa. I want to know who I end up with just using my personality and then tweaking it. I have never been so confused by a game before or into so much reading. I am not a P&P or S&S fan. Seen the S&S movie but wasnt too impressed. I read too much and am now too snarky for any of the suitors. LOL I think i have to get this one just to see all the endings and the dialogue can be skipped after the first couple times because you'll know what is coming. IF I had been able to perform at the ball, I would have met the other guy but nooo I hadn't been doing enough talents ugh LOL I guess Im hooked even though when I tried this last year, I absolutely hated it. Things change I guess. I love choose your own adventure anything though.

[Post New]by akaditya999 on Aug 19, 14 10:51 PM
There are so man matrimonial services in the market but we are one of the best matrimony service provider in india. We find best matching for you. The life partner is very important in our life so it is very important to find one of the best and perfect partner. The shubhlabh matrimony provides the best partner for you so visit us at once and get the best results in a few days.
http://www.shubhlabhmatrimony.com/

Go to: