debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

Re:Feel ripped off with the latest CE

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Mar 7, 11 10:54 PM
Thank you for the mature debate on this issue. I have been finding it very interesting reading, and very much appreciate that it has stayed on the issue at hand instead of personal attacks against other posters' opinions.

I have only purchased about 4 or so CEs. Personally I have not found the content worth my extra money, and after initial excitement about CEs, now pretty much exclusively wait for the SE versions.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Mar 8, 11 4:48 AM
mcurty wrote:@Pepper010
Thanks so much for your informative posts regarding marketing, history, etc. I have learned just from reading this info. There is so much we don't know "out there".

BF will offer what they can make money on -- that's their business -- making money. I am a staunch believer in "voting" with my $$$.

McCurty, you're welcome, and thank you for letting me know that it helped. Although many of us don't post all that often here any more, we do have a large group of fishies who've been through a lot of history here, and who were customers before CEs.

Voting with our $$$$$$ is, indeed, the basis of capitalism! tee hee

CasualGran, thanks for the apology. No, I didn't say that in complaining about the description of the game you were complaining about BFG as a whole.

Didn't realize you were one of our OS fishies. The reference to "the lady or the tiger" is about a classic short story that used to be taught in U.S. schools. It's not about what characteristics are inside us, but about an actual choice based on emotions. I suggest you look it up in Wikipedia--it's a fun read, and that phrase now is shorthand for some complex human issues.. Although written in the 1800's, the story's basic problem later became a part of "game theory" , athematics/sociology and the study of human behavior.

Opus1965
Guppy
Guppy
172 Posts

[Post New]by Opus1965 on Mar 24, 11 9:43 AM
CasualGran wrote:
textrekkie wrote:The description offered for Margrave shows:

The Collector’s Edition includes:
Bonus gameplay
In-game Strategy Guide
Breathtaking artwork
Incredible puzzles

So, you're saying there is no additional artwork or puzzles, other than what is in the bonus play and/or Strategy Guide and regular game play?

I belive if that were the case, I would ask for a refund.

There is no conceptart, There are no wallpapers. Not that I care so much for them, frankly not at all, but in my experience of CE's (and I've bought them all) they should be there. Period.

This game, IMO, has been made a CE while it was not, while it didn't have the standards for it. I'm sensing money-grabbing here and I'm not pleased.

I'm not happy, either. I have bought several CE games and liked the additional bonus. But this game only had the bonus game...that's it! I should have read the posts prior to my purchasing this game./ What a waste.

EWK24
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by EWK24 on Mar 24, 11 11:45 AM

To tell you the truth, I am pretty much over the whole "CE" thrillride as well. I HAVE bought a few, but it was done with the thought that BFG was going to be selective about which games they offered as Collector's Editions----QUOTE BFG-

Will you offer more games with an optional Collector’s Edition version in the future?

"Perhaps, but the game must warrant it and we will be very selective if we do. We would not consider this for most games, but when a great game comes along with amazing production values, we will consider adding bonus features to it and selling a separate Collector’s Edition. "

As far as I can see, just about everything is a "collector's edition" now. I feel like a sheep. I was definitely led by the nose down this path and I know it. I dont think I will be buying these in the future. The promise of "only the most amazing games" has turned into almost every game. The Collector's Editions are ceasing to stand out as special anymore--(which was the whole reason to buy them in the first place.)
They have taken something that was supposed to make a game stand out from the others and made it common.

Edited on 03/25/2011 at 1:35:49 PM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Mar 25, 11 12:33 PM
EWK24 wrote: "They have turned something that was supposed to make a game stand out from the others and made it common."

I agree. CEs used to be special, really off the top, out of the ballpark, games. Most of the ones lately are not that at all. Good games, but what we used to consider good games at the regular price. It was not usual for us to get so many stinkers. Anticipation for an upcoming CE was always high. I am one who doesn't care about wall paper, concept art, or music available. And I am finding that the bonus games are getting shorter, and sometimes is just a sneak peek at a sequel. I admit I still buy most of the CEs but only because I want the game, and am not willing to wait, but I still don't think these are what we were led to believe CE quality games would be. I do think BF has pulled a fast one, and is simply raising the price on these, while lessor quality games are released at the regular price. I do feel BF should just be honest and admit they are going to a two price tier.

ladiedidee
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by ladiedidee on Mar 29, 11 2:27 AM
i totally agree, the bonus play is not worth the extra money

Giliraz
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by Giliraz on Mar 29, 11 12:37 PM
EWK24 wrote:
As far as I can see, just about everything is a "collector's edition" now. I feel like a sheep. I was definitely led by the nose down this path and I know it. I dont think I will be buying these in the future. The promise of "only the most amazing games" has turned into almost every game. The Collector's Editions are ceasing to stand out as special anymore--(which was the whole reason to buy them in the first place.)
They have taken something that was supposed to make a game stand out from the others and made it common.

I hate to admit it, but I totaly feel the same - like a sheep led by the nose down this path... I too do not care about all the extras and I buy the CE's just for the bonus game that was too short and very disappointing...

LaDeeDah
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by LaDeeDah on Apr 10, 11 8:47 AM
IMO, the whole argument regarding CE's is based on the fact that the overall quality of this genre has improved a good deal in a fairly short period of time. Thus, the avid casual gamer has come to expect more. The standard versions of CE's are usually very good quality in comparison to regular offerings. As hidden object games have become more and more interactive, the expectations of the gamer has increased. I started with BFG just over a year ago and in the beginning was delighted to be able to play straight hidden object games for $6.99. I can still justify the expense for this sort of game, but find myself having doubts about whether it's worth my time and money when there have been so many offerings of superior games for the same price. So I download the demo, check in with the BFG forum comments as well as comments on another gaming site, and make my decision. Thus far, I've been content with my decisions. I've only purchased a few CE's, knowing full well that it was a matter of paying more for a bit more game or waiting for the SE to be released. It all boils down to a personal decision. I'm not one to replay games and still feel I'm getting plenty of gameplay for my bucks either way. I also enjoy adventure games and always wait for a good price (usually around $19.99) before I buy, in spite of knowing that I could get the game sooner if I were willing to pay more. Personal decision - not the developer's responsibility.

Edited on 04/10/2011 at 8:48:37 AM PST

MoDreams
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,179 Posts

[Post New]by MoDreams on Apr 10, 11 10:12 AM
I've read through this debate with interest. To quote EWK24:
The Collector's Editions are ceasing to stand out as special anymore--(which was the whole reason to buy them in the first place.)
They have taken something that was supposed to make a game stand out from the others and made it common

I agree. And I think BFG should have stayed with their original idea, these would only be truly outstanding games, and they would work with the developer to add additional content to package the game as a CE.

I feel that no matter what is in the CE version of a game, the SE version should be a stand-alone complete game without those added extras. But sad to say it seems the SE content, in a few games, is being robbed to provide the extra content for CE's. The SE version should always have an "ending" that makes sense relative to the storyline.

So I buy very few CE's. I really can't afford them. But I also won't buy the SE if I feel that the content has been diminished in order to produce a CE version of the game.

~~~MO~~~

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Apr 10, 11 12:23 PM
I never complain about CEs, I just don't buy them expect 2 or 3, and I don't feel , or anybody made me buy them, because I'm a grown up and I'm responsible for my actions. Plus we can get a pretty good picture about the games by reading the forums. I don't think you can ask for your money after a movie, just because you taught you'll like it more. Some fishie keeps complaining about CEs but can't stop buying them.

Go to: