serengeti
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition

[Post New]by serengeti on Mar 10, 11 2:48 AM
dear big fish ,i love your site,but it is true we are paying big money for CEs once a week and the other six days are not quite good enough standard, you have loads of betas waiting to come out couldnt you release one or two of them a week.I must say the quality of some of the games released over the last few weeks made me feel like i had gone back five years in time.Please give us decent games to spend our credits on.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Mar 10, 11 2:52 AM
I just played the "sample version" and loved it! I like celtic stuff too, and it is definitely more interesting than trying to rescue dear ol granpa - again - lol.

I had to laugh when I heard the kookaburra. Maybe it got lost? Mind you, I have never heard of them as being migrating birds, lol. Maybe someone imported one into Cornwall It's funny, but I always feel better when I see them flying around or perched on the power lines - maybe cos they are such beautiful birds, lol.

The music isn't bad, and the graphics are nice and clear. The puzzles haven't been too difficult for me, yet, but I did skip a couple, after trying to complete them first, then found I was almost through anyway, lol.

There are lots of chapters, a bonus chapter, and my oh my, an integrated SG which works really well - yay! Sooo, as it appears to fit my particular CE criteria, I think I shall go pay some

Jen.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 10, 11 2:54 AM
serengeti, if I wouldn't buy them here, I would buy them at the developers sites and pay 7$ more.

I think we owe BF a big thanks that as a store it succeeds to offer cheaper product.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Mar 10, 11 2:58 AM
I'm lost.
Where is the C&R thread! I can't find it!
Dr.good

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Mar 10, 11 3:01 AM
Goodday fishies! Following is my comment based on the full demo (60 min).

Alas, this game appears windowed on my Vista screen. So maybe I'll have to set my screen to a lower resolution.
There are 2 modes, easy or hard, I chose for easy and that's with sparkles.
Attractive intro and an interesting, Celtic-ish story. I can sympathize with the heroine trying to find her boyfriend.
The graphics are good, and the objects can, even in this windowed mode, easily be spotted.
Pleasantly creepy atmosphere, and the sounds add to it. Could be some aspects don't really match with the location or the time of year but hey!, it's a fantasy-story. I can live with it.
The puzzles are challenging but not too much and they are skippable. I had to ask other fishies were this skip option was, it's the same button used tor the hints.
Hints are unlimited, button refills quicly.
You seem to earn trophies for achievements, but I haven't been looking for a trophy room yet.
The Strategy Guide is accessible from the demo, which is a good thing.

Great game, this one! Happy Gaming fishies!

Your Comments and Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Vittoria on Mar 10, 11 3:07 AM
lucyloket wrote:Okay, I'll say it................. another Collectors Edition? Really?
I'm d/l ing to try it, but have to say that this is about the 5th or 6th we've had in a very short time and only 1 has been released as an SE (the wolf one).
Please BFG - even though some of these are really good games, the SEs are taking longer and longer to be released and it's very frustrating.

Anyhoo, I'll pop back with my thpoughts on this one a bit later

I don't write here very often, but I have to agree with lucyloket. I've been breaking my head to find decent games to play in a SE, in order to buy 6 games a month to get my credit. I have to tell you that I have a few in my game manager that I will never finish because they suck!! What's the point of all this if there are no decent games to buy with our credits??

I guess I will have to change my strategy then or just go shop somewhere else... Too bad ...

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 10, 11 3:08 AM
CasualGran wrote:@Lunachan and @Dobbiemijnboekje, could one of you two, or anyone else, tell me exactly how puzzles in this game can be skipped? Maybe I'm getting old, but up till now I haven't discovered a skip-button.

Thank you!
LOL The skipbutton is the same as the hint-button.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Mar 10, 11 3:10 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:
CasualGran wrote:@Lunachan and @Dobbiemijnboekje, could one of you two, or anyone else, tell me exactly how puzzles in this game can be skipped? Maybe I'm getting old, but up till now I haven't discovered a skip-button.

Thank you!
LOL The skipbutton is the same as the hint-button.

Thanks Dobbie! The sandman must have done a very good job last night! LOL

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by bella81762 on Mar 10, 11 3:12 AM
tuttepeever wrote:I don't have any language or grammer issues with any game. I have no country as I am an immigrant and those nit picky things are irrelevant to most of us if it is a good game otherwise. Particularly since I play with the Sound off. Perhaps those of you who find it somewhat irritating, should write the Developer. This is not a BFG problem. They don't edit.

actually a lot of people write about grammer and languange, and the person really didnt blame bfg, just expressed a opinion

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Mar 10, 11 3:23 AM
bella81762 wrote:
tuttepeever wrote:I don't have any language or grammer issues with any game. I have no country as I am an immigrant and those nit picky things are irrelevant to most of us if it is a good game otherwise. Particularly since I play with the Sound off. Perhaps those of you who find it somewhat irritating, should write the Developer. This is not a BFG problem. They don't edit.

actually a lot of people write about grammer and languange, and the person really didnt blame bfg, just expressed a opinion

Sorry Bella, it was my fault, I worded my first post wrongly in that it implied that there were grammar problems in this game, and there are none (or none that I have found as yet). I was just using that to illustrate a 'pet peeve', like having kookaburras in Cornwall lol.

But I am quite enjoying playing the demo and haven't made up my mind regarding purchase. Unlike some of the reviewers, I am finding the Hidden Objects very well hidden and have had to use a hint every time, that is the only thing turning me off though.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 10, 11 3:29 AM
Well I started grinning as soon as I saw d u m b o because I like their games and then I played for 28 minutes just to make sure that it worked OK before dragging myself away to come review and buy it.

The graphics are gorgeous , the custom cursor is behaving beautifully , some of the hidden objects are not easy to spot but are right under your nose and you can play in casual or advanced modes so what is there not to like ... nothing but I see some of you disagree with me.

Gets on soapbox:

People this is a game created from someone's imagination it is not a documentary where everything must be historically accurate for the name of the place they choose to use be it objects or sounds or music. Because it is make-believe you should expect the developers to use what they consider the best sounds etc to give atmosphere to their games regardless if it comes from the other side of the world or not.

Please therefore grant all developers poetic licence and you will enjoy the games much more.

Climbs down to go back to enjoying the game.

Cherb

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Mar 10, 11 3:37 AM
the dl is huge so looks like it might be long,over 800 kb so has anyone estimated the length yet? i know lots use the guide as..well a guide...

edited to make ? into a comment

Edited on 03/10/2011 at 3:59:04 AM PST

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Mar 10, 11 3:59 AM
bella81762 wrote:so has anyone estimated the length yet? i know lots use the guide as..well a guide...huge dl

I'd like to know as well, spent so long looking for hidden objects I only just made it to the end of the trial before the time was up, so it looks like (for me at least lol) it's going to be a long one.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Mar 10, 11 4:13 AM
Review on Sample Demo

I found this demo to be extremely enjoyable. The Hint recharged quickly enough and I must admit that I 'skipped' the 'combination lock' puzzle, as it was taking up too much of my valuable demo time. I didn't take note of the combination however, so that if I purchase and replay I can take my time working it out. The hidden objects were (for me anyway) easy to spot, and I particularly liked the first H0 (the pond one). Having to find something to get them out of the bottom of the pond, was, I think quite unique. I kept the music low, but the sound effects on, and I didn't find them intrusive or annoying. I could hear a 'crow' or a 'rook' but didn't notice a kookaburra! But I'm good at 'tuning things out' so maybe it was there! Was slightly surprised at the 'boomerang' though, although it did come in handy. And the snow on the ground in October didn't bother me at all!

I liked the achievements that kept 'popping up' during play, and I can't comment on the strategy guide as I didn't use it, but it was nice to know that it was there 'just in case'. I had just found the 2nd Celtic symbol that needed to be destroyed when my time ran out. The story I found (so far anyway) to be one that I will enjoy. The artwork is nice, the music was OK, and the 'extra' that will probably make me purchase is the promise of 'Bonus gameplay'

I had no Technical difficulties in either download or play. All in all, I found this to be a good game and I will purchase and happily play on from where I left off. I was looking to find how long it was, but it's probably too early to find that out at the moment. Oh Well - off to dl the rest of it and carry on playing

Kel

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Respect

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Mar 10, 11 4:15 AM
mycatluna wrote:Come on now fishies. People can post what they want to post in the forums. It is the COMMENTS and reviews thread.

It is a hot-button issue for A LOT of members so why stifle it? Just don't read those posts if you don't want to, it really is that simple!

I've been in my share of forums and the reasoning of "having to sort through all those comments is annoying" just isn't a logical reason to get upset. Do we all read every review that's posted, whether game related or not? And there can be dozens of pages of people's game reviews. So that reasoning makes no sense.

I really think it should just be, well, let be. There's no reason for the forums to become a playground complete with bullies and those getting beat up by bullies. It is quite sad really. We're all adults here...playing nice should not be hard to do.

The beauty of the forums is being able to share whatever COMMENTS and reviews players want to share. No one forces anyone to read all of the content.

As far as I know, the comment and review thread does NOT translate into "comments and reviews that are deemed acceptable for posting by a few players."

Oh, that's just lovely. Now the people asking politely for the review thread to stay on topic are 'bullies'.

I've had enough of this, there's just not enough value in reading these game forums to offset the aggravation anymore.

Pidgiep
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Pidgiep on Mar 10, 11 4:21 AM
Well I am from Cornwall and there definately aren't any kookaburras in Cornwall unless you go to Paradise Park!!
But I do like the game, not too sure whether to buy CE though.

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Mar 10, 11 4:22 AM
Hi Everybody. These devs really know how to put together a good game. I didnt even finish the Demo before downloading the full version. Also has a bonus game. It must be a good length also because there is over 800 megs and then some. Got my game fix for the week. Have a good day. I am. I wish it had been wide screen tho.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 10, 11 4:25 AM
The guide shows 12 Chapters and bonus game and achievements. If you take time to read the guide to a point the features are all listed. On the puzzles, there is an INFO button top left of puzzle if you want a nudge, or you can skip with Hint. I used the SG thumbnail for the picture puzzle to see the finished picture to save demo time.

Well, since I never heard a kookaburro probably can't even spell it, I just assumed it was a nightowl to add a little ambience. I'm too into soaking up the beautiful scenes and coloring. Yes, a few items needed a hint when I'm in a hurry, some in my face, one I would not have recognized. All in all a HOGers delight. Haven't been lost yet, but if it gets too adventury SG will get me back on track at the click of my pinky.

Anyone wanting some really "decent games" to spend credits on, put this on your budget for April. You will be getting a top quality fun game for half price. Well, less than half price where the CE is already a third off of the normal dev price. There's a whole slew of SGs coming, lots already available like Phantasmat, Wolf, Treasure Seekers etc. Then if you want the SG you can get it for $6.99 club credit too. I highly recommend this game as a more than decent ihog SE if you are on a budget.

(I thought using the net to grab objects was a fun twist too, and really liked the small list and icons for inventory which makes the playing field bigger, less clutter. Who needs a whole sidebar just for a list of words? Great design, these devs really have a feel for what players want, everything user friendly, and if you want the game to last longer, well stop and read everything, journal, history etc and spend some time admiring the artist's work and how thoughtfully the game is put together. Good talent costs more and this one wasn't slapped together on the cheap. Simple as that.

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Mar 10, 11 4:25 AM
cherbtoo wrote:Well I started grinning as soon as I saw d u m b o because I like their games and then I played for 28 minutes just to make sure that it worked OK before dragging myself away to come review and buy it.

The graphics are gorgeous , the custom cursor is behaving beautifully , some of the hidden objects are not easy to spot but are right under your nose and you can play in casual or advanced modes so what is there not to like ... nothing but I see some of you disagree with me.

Gets on soapbox:

People this is a game created from someone's imagination it is not a documentary where everything must be historically accurate for the name of the place they choose to use be it objects or sounds or music. Because it is make-believe you should expect the developers to use what they consider the best sounds etc to give atmosphere to their games regardless if it comes from the other side of the world or not.

Please therefore grant all developers poetic licence and you will enjoy the games much more.

Climbs down to go back to enjoying the game.

Cherb

OK, I bought it, and am enjoying it, and chuckling, still. My main objection was, and is, that I seem to be the only person here who finds the hidden objects really hard.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Mar 10, 11 4:32 AM
@ puzzledone

Thank you for your insight onto the length of the game. I have purchased and am waiting for the mega download to finish so I can enjoy
stop and read everything, journal, history etc and spend some time admiring the artist's work and how thoughtfully the game is put together.

Cheers

Kel

Go to: