MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill Remastered

[Post New]by MLC60 on Mar 23, 11 5:36 PM
I HATE this game!!! "Fatal Error, you blew up the school" is not my idea of a fun game. It's bad enough that you lose everything you've done when you get out of it for anything, they have these smart aleck messages if you don't go as fast as their expert, teenage programmers. I read Nancy Drew books when I was growing up, too, but that was a whole bunch easier than trying to play this horrible game. NEWS FLASH: I play video games to relax, not send my blood pressure sky high.

melouria
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by melouria on Apr 3, 11 2:44 PM
mcurty wrote:
lilTweet7 wrote:<snip>Another great aventure series is the 'Myst' games. I would love to see BF carry those as well.
They do carry RealMyst -- the original game redone in 3D with added chapter. You may have to do a search or access it through the All Game Forums. I didn't see it in the main list of games.

The ND games are great adventure games and provide hours of puzzling fun. I have yet to try this one, but have several others that I really enjoy. If you get really "stuck" you can always do a search for a walkthrough to help you out. There are places out there that have them available.

Thanks Mcurty....I had no idea they had RealMyst until I read your post. This is the only Myst game I have yet to play...so, thanks so much!!

Edited on 04/03/2011 at 2:45:12 PM PST

paula331
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by paula331 on Apr 8, 11 1:49 PM
I'm a hugh Nancy Drew fan, I have to say this game was way to short and way to easy. I was very disappointed. It usually takes me days to do these games and I finshed it in less than half a day. Not worth the credit.

beryltheperil
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by beryltheperil on Apr 12, 11 12:22 PM
I love Nancy Drew and this is a good one. you need to take lots of notes and it makes you think. Well worth buying even without a demo

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on May 27, 11 4:03 PM
Actually only three of the notes I took down were useful.

The skinny: First game in the series, with updated graphics and a new culprit. 5 persons to talk to, three locations (high school, Eloise's house and Maxine's diner), the usual check list is present on Junior level and Ned is the only person to call.

I read the book and found that it was very different to the game for a long time. In the book, Nancy witnesses the "murder", does a smooching session with the school jock while her car explodes (yeah right), Brenda was cut and every suspect has a different motive (for example, Connie has a problem with shoplifting). Also, there is a Russian Embassy involved (conveniently located in Middleofnowhere, USA) and the town is called Bedford.

That said, the game offers the usual ingredients of dialogs and riddles. The riddles usually consist of word puzzles, and none of them have to be solved. Not that great an idea if you ask me, but as we all know, Her Interactive were still learning with this game.

About one riddle, I cut HI too much slack. I thought that they'd actually managed to put a secret message into the Periodic System of Elements. Like "Carbon", go 1 to the right, find an "N" for the message. Well, maybe in another game.

One really not logical thing: Unless you enter the code first you cannot find the box - even if you know it's there.

Bottom Line: It's not bad, but there are way better games in the series.

moonweaver
Flounder
Flounder
2,108 Posts

[Post New]by moonweaver on Jul 11, 11 7:31 PM
I bought this game on disks a couple of years ago, and never finished it. I was used to the newer, more modern ND games, and the navigating in the old version was just too "clunky". Also, I didn't like having to switch disks, which was required several times. I'm glad they remastered it, and will consider buying it at a later time. I'm using my monthly game credit for one of the newer ND games.

A note on Real Myst: I tried the demo, and found the first person view made me dizzy. That also happened to me with one of the more recent Sherlock Holmes games. Nancy Drew is first person view, but those games don't have the same effect on me.

[Post New]by auggierose on Sep 7, 11 4:53 PM
This game is REALLY short. I finished it in one night.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 8, 11 4:51 AM
Comment only -
It seems as though players who like the ND games love this one too. For me, I would like to see if I liked it too. But - no try...no buy. I need to know if games run well on my computer as I won't make adjustments to accommodate a game then have to readjust after I finish the game.

I do not like games (LFA I guess) that require me to click, click, click to move someone around in the game. I prefer to click where I want the person to go and have them appear there! I am really not a fan of these types of games...but that is OK for me.

I might get this game with a coupon just to try it out as I know BFG will replace the coupon if the game won't play on my computer....will just have to think about it.

appiel
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by appiel on May 14, 12 4:52 PM
This is the most boring ND game I've ever played!!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Oct 30, 12 7:15 AM
being the 1st ND game, it was short, but it is a GOOD game.------doug & lisa

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 30, 13 8:03 PM
This as you may know is the first ND game, with remastered graphics. It is also the easiest and shortest I’ve played of the series(but I haven’t played many other early games) so it’s the perfect game to start with.

If you have never played a ND game before, you have a choice of playing junior or senior mode. In junior mode you have a task list and some puzzles are easier, you can phone your friends and ask for hints (but no bess in this game just ned).

It’s not a 360 nausea type game, the controls when you go to the edge just move like static images till you turn around. It’s not free flowing 360 where you can look up, down etc in every scene – it’s all arrows.
You have to manually save ND games and you can’t skip any puzzle in any of her games.

This ND is a puzzle game with some adventure, it’s also the shortest ND I’ve played compared to the later games. The plot is you are undercover at a school where someone has been murdered. There are three locations – house, diner and school, the school is the biggest location.
There are people that you find when you explore and you have a choice of questions or responses, more questions become available when you trigger something else in a game. It’s non linear as there isn’t a set order to do things, but one thing will unlock something else and thus advances the story and what you can do.
#While playing you will find loads of different notes around (cryptograms) so take photos of them with the in game camera or write it down on paper. You will also see some sparkles and if you click on it (icon on mouse won’t change) you find that it’s money. Sometimes a scene will sparkle if you stay long enough in it, other times your mouse will have to go over an area before it triggers it.
The money can be used three ways in the game and if you find all the money– it’s one of the stars for achievements (I didn’t get it) At the end you get ‘stars’ with different achievements, these are sometimes a bit off the wall but it makes it more fun exploring everything as it could give you one of the ‘stars’ on your detective badge. The only thing is I didn’t know what an award was till I finished.
There are also two easter eggs in this game, an unexpected acknowledgment in game of finding or doing something a bit unexpected.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 30, 13 8:04 PM
continued

#I agree with Laflamme it wasn't till I had finished that I realised that I didn't need to decypher all those puzzles left, which was disappointing. *But I suppose if you hate them it's an equivalent of a skip button. I enjoyed them so had fun doing it but wish it was used. The puzzles were 99% cryptograms so if you don’t like puzzles or that type then this game isn’t for you*.

I generally don’t like cryptograms as they are usually too hard for me but these were either easy or straightforward in working it out. If you didn't bother working any out then this game will be a very short LF game. This even with working out everything is a short LF.

While this game lacks the polish, depth and challenge of latter games it still was fun and I enjoyed it. To have a relative easy ND game for a change was nice and I love loads of smaller puzzles.
Recommend for true ND lovers, cryptogram lovers or those who want an easy LF game.

Go to: