Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker Collector's Edition

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Mar 24, 11 6:05 AM
I know it is a good game but is it worth the price, I have gone through two thirds of the game when my trial time expired and I am not an expert. I do not think it is worth the price of a Collectors Edition I shall wait till comes out later on. The graphics are great story line easy to follow, hidden objects easy to find, perhaps if it was a bit more difficult with some puzzle games also in it, it would last longer. It is a no buy for me at that price it is sad that games that are short are put in to the CE category

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 24, 11 6:12 AM
(CONTINUED)

The only voice-over I heard was in the introduction, when he was in the car. Nothing (so far) in game itself.

As always, play the demo (even if you are sure you will buy it) and make up your own mind.

For me, it didn't really grip me as a "gotta have it." It was OK, the story seems like it could be interesting, but the graphics were pretty grainy, the story doesn't really have much mystery to it (<<highlight for spoiler>> Man remembers girl he knew as a boy, picks up hitchiker who turns out to be the girl, goes to spooky town to find her, I bet it turns out she died 100 years before he was even born )

It's OK and I think I will end up buying it, but I never finished yesterday's excellant game so I'm going back to finish that before coming back to this one. That's unusual for me on any CE - once I pick it up, I usually can't put it down. The only reason I was able to stop playing yesterday's game is that I got to a place "between chapters" that finished one part of the storyline, so I feel I can pick it up again without losing the story. For Shiver, I stopped just as I was about to open the safe - and it really isn't bothering me to wait a few hours to find out what's in it.

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Mar 24, 11 6:23 AM
Done half the demo (ie 30 mins) & loved it.
Will definitely buy but not sure about the CE. The only extra I would use would be the Chaper 6 play & I'm not sure that is worth more than a whole new game.

Will probably wait until someone has finished to get a better idea of the lenght. But at any reasonable lenth I would certainly go for the SE when it comes out - it's great in my book.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 24, 11 6:29 AM
jennsmom wrote:Had to stop after 15 minutes because life goes on outside of games, unfortunately, but it's got me hooked. I'll be back to finish the demo ASAP and I'm sure this is a buy, although I may wait for the SE. I like the colors -- properly gray and a little spooky -- and the H/O scenes were a little gauzy, but not bad at all. Music is appropriate and story line was interesting.

I had to stop after 7 minutes to get to work. I am pretty sure I am going to buy this as an entry to the Super Felix sweepstakes! HEE HEE HEE! That aside I the game! It's awesome and I, too, am hooked! Thanks for another awesome game, !!!

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Mar 24, 11 6:35 AM
Exactly my thoughts too sinshack as I'm on the fence with this one, but will probably end up buying. No self-control here.
For me, you know how in the first 5-10 minutes of playing, you know almost with a certainty if you will buy or not. It's after the demo and I'm still not sure.
I can't quite pinpoint what didn't grab me. I can understand the sepia toned graphics, so no problem there. Music and sound FX-fine.
In my trial play, I don't think I came upon an actual puzzle. I had to go and get things to use in various locations. So maybe that's why it didn't grab me....?
Although, I have been waiting on this one....geesh....to buy or not to buy?

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 24, 11 6:54 AM
I trust casual gran and Dr. Good's review hook, line and sinker. This game sounds and looks fantastic. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. If only more games were of this caliber.

Debnfla
Herring
Herring
336 Posts

[Post New]by Debnfla on Mar 24, 11 7:05 AM
I love dark and eerie games and this is a good one. I was sitting one pins and needles because I used my ear phones to get the best sound I could...that heavy breathing always scares the stew out of me! But, the game froze in the basement and also in the fireplace room. I was so set on rushing to buy but now will hesitate to see if others had this problem. I really want this game!!!

Deb

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Mar 24, 11 7:29 AM
the flash light is necessary to light up untill you find something else(switches,torches with lighter etc)and the spot of the flashlight is very large!not a trouble!don't forget you are in abandonned town!
something i have to say is the marvellous music!
first,there are scenes with and scenes without!some areas use soft and nostalgical one,some creepy one,but very much of them are in silent!the music is very wellplayed in good scenes to make the atmosphere changing!
it is the first time i notice this about music!
some said no original game,but with the same framework (abandoned town,searching to free losts souls etc)the game is totally different of phantasmat for exemple and has its own atmosphere!
i played it(with bonus level) in more than 4 hours,that is a good length for this kind of game!

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 7:31:08 AM PST

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Mar 24, 11 7:36 AM
I guess I'm going to be one of the few naysayers for this game. Surprising, because I usually agree with a lot of the regular fishies here. I don't have any issue with the game other than I was bored by it. I wasn't sucked into it (to use another fishie's phrase) like I have other games. I'm not even sure I'm willing to give the SE a try when it comes out. I'm absolutely thrilled with the fact that the game fits the widescreen. The scenes are appropriately eerie. I just couldn't get into the game. For those that do like it and are thrilled-have fun and enjoy.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Mar 24, 11 7:48 AM
After only 30 minutes of demo time, I know this game is right up my alley! Spooky game, visions of ghosts flying through darkened hallways, a blinking eye watching you through a keyhole, excellent atmospheric creepy music in places that builds to a crescendo to increase the "oh oh, what's coming next?" factor, flashlight required to see in dark places, wonderful theme music (is that Mozart?), and an intriguing storyline. I know I'll be buying this one to fill up my punch card. Artogon does excellent work, and seems to have done so with this game. I like that the cursor is small and non intrusive, I don't mind the sparkles, and haven't had any problem with the game running on my XP system. This reminds me slightly of "Scratches", and the muted graphics colors suit the theme. Thanks BFG, it's been a really good couple of weeks for new games!

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Mar 24, 11 7:48 AM
Someone said "no puzzles" like todays game The Revenge?

Then its a no buy for me that is why I did not use my credit on The Revenge game - no puzzles. Well back to replaying Elixer Of Immortality I guess.

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 7:53:35 AM PST

myid39
Clownfish
Clownfish
727 Posts

[Post New]by myid39 on Mar 24, 11 8:02 AM
Qualifications for this post follow:

I figured out how to turn on a computer and post on this forum.

***************************************************************************************************************

I have no desire to purchase this game CE or SE. The story did not grab me and there is nothing "eye candy" worthy in the artwork.

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 8:09:35 AM PST

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Mar 24, 11 8:32 AM
Looks like a good game but I have to wait until April to purchase Thanks to all for their comments and ... doctorgood ... you are not a grouch

Faylyn

Edited to add, I just finished the game plus bonus game and absolutely loved all of it. The narrator's voice is the best I've heard in any game. You don't hear him often but when you do he's awesome! Bravo to the developers/designers and a huge thank you to BFG for bringing this game to us.

Edited on 04/02/2011 at 3:04:52 PM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Mar 24, 11 8:52 AM
I also have concerns about game length as I had just started Chapter 3 (playing in advance mode) when the demo ran out.

Appreciate the great in-depth review, sinshack!

forneymary
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by forneymary on Mar 24, 11 9:21 AM
i beta tested this game just the other day and was pleasantly surprized to see it out so soon. i thought it was awesome and i want the colletors edition. i thought 13 skulls was worth it and i think this is too. it totally grabbed me. naturally though i've just filled a punch card so if i get this i'll feel duty bound to finesh it. well if i must.

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on Mar 24, 11 9:32 AM
Edmee, try uninstalling the beta version, then reinstall the demo. The beta is telling the demo that you have already played. See if that helps. Good luck.

I plan on trying this one myself. I love the dark, creepy, eerie ones!!!

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 24, 11 9:53 AM
sinshack wrote:I'm kind of on the fence about this one, but I'll probably end up buying - to be honest, I have the patience and self-control of a 4-year-old.

Alot of how you felt about this game they were my exact thoughts ...One thing I prefer they also stop doing,,,, is diffused grainy games ..this one has got my nose to the screen ... Hard on the eyes but seems like a intriguing story line that sucks you in ...I have 8 min. left on the demo ,,,& I have 0 will power ,,,,Gotta go to ..back to pressing my nose against my screen ..snork snork ...Enjoy !!!! Everyone !!!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 24, 11 10:40 AM
Wow, that demo hour went by fast! Really like this one. No annoying music or sounds. Game play is good, graphics are nice. HOs are not difficult to find. Haven't run across too many games yet. A lot of back and forth and running in circles until you find everything you need to. Oh my, another CE! Well, gotta have it...off to buy. Enjoy.

zoonmiss
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by zoonmiss on Mar 24, 11 10:54 AM
This is a buy for me only 2nd CE but getting hook on them .. Got a sneak at this game ,, was slow on the start buttttttttt it is super ... I let everyone who are good at reviews do them this is comment and only the 5 th one in in so many years.. This is the only site i buy from...Others just are not the seem.. Got to say everyone does have they own idea what they want...lol Have a Great Day see U'all on the flipside.....

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Mar 24, 11 11:04 AM
This game is way to rustic for me. I felt like I was in a bad episode, of American Pickers. To dark for me. I like a little color in my games. Using the flashlight, wasn't much help. Well I guess, each to their own.

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 11:04:19 AM PST

Go to: