oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Wild West Story: The Beginning

[Post New]by oct2447 on Apr 4, 11 6:25 PM
Well, I need to open with a few explanations, I guess....... I demo'd this in the hopes that it would be good for my kids summer program "Reading through the West". I have found that HOGs are great for them and M3's too because of the strategy. They LOVE 4 Elements, I Spy and other HOGs I have for them...........so I liked the fact that there was a combination.
So, these kids (including myself) are not the greatest M3 strategists, like you folks.....I found "the brat with the bow" sort of helpful in this regard. I do have difficulty with Miss Janie becoming transparent.....that's going to be tough. When she is visible, she's twitching like she's got chili powder in her underwear. I have difficulty trying to figure out what I am supposed to do and why. I have visions of me explaining to 60 kids why they need to buy this and that, etc.
An additonal challenge, if you will, is the fact that about a third of these kids are Native American, a third ranch/farm kids..........I don't know what other role Coyote Cub plays, but would really like to know. The fact that he is named after a coyote ( problem) and that he wears war paint for no appparent reason is difficult, but I think I can finesse that.......would like to know more of what he does........

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 6:26:44 PM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Apr 4, 11 7:44 PM
I only played the first 30 minutes of the trial and had to quit. I enjoyed everything about the game-the graphics, bright and colorful, the fact that you have an untimed option, etc.-but what ended it for me was the way each new board moved up and down and back and forth before finally coming to a stop. It was just too much for my eyes. It made me feel dizzy. I know I can look away while it's moving around like that but I don't want to have to do that every time. Too bad because, otherwise, I would have considered using a coupon for it.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 4, 11 7:53 PM
oct2447 wrote:Well, I need to open with a few explanations, I guess....... I demo'd this in the hopes that it would be good for my kids summer program "Reading through the West". I have found that HOGs are great for them and M3's too because of the strategy. They LOVE 4 Elements, I Spy and other HOGs I have for them...........so I liked the fact that there was a combination.
An additonal challenge, if you will, is the fact that about a third of these kids are Native American, a third ranch/farm kids..........I don't know what other role Coyote Cub plays, but would really like to know. The fact that he is named after a coyote ( problem) and that he wears war paint for no appparent reason is difficult, but I think I can finesse that.......would like to know more of what he does........

The young orphaned boy is said to be the last of his tribe, which might be used to explain some things about him that don't mesh. Of course, the more real explanation is to take a look at the names in the credits, and ask how much you know about *their* culture lol...

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 7:54:16 PM PST

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Apr 4, 11 8:25 PM
"The young orphaned boy is said to be the last of his tribe, which might be used to explain some things about him that don't mesh. Of course, the more real explanation is to take a look at the names in the credits, and ask how much you know about *their* culture lol..."

I'm not sure what you are trying to say....could you clarify???

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 4, 11 8:37 PM
El Dorado Quest is another game some of you might want to try if you like clearing paths for people. The gameplay is a bit different and I like it, but you really have to suspend reality in regards to the cultural mix in the story and artwork.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 4, 11 8:39 PM
oct2447 wrote:"The young orphaned boy is said to be the last of his tribe, which might be used to explain some things about him that don't mesh. Of course, the more real explanation is to take a look at the names in the credits, and ask how much you know about *their* culture lol..."

I'm not sure what you are trying to say....could you clarify???

I guess the game is designed in Eastern Europe or former USSR someplace - I am clueless beyond noticing the names look like that to me.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 4, 11 8:42 PM
I did buy this game with a punchcard credit, and I've played now as far as the first upgrade in the second set of them (Chapter 2). There continue to be additional obstacles added to the gameboards - stones that need power-ups to clear or strategy to move. Not enough yet to take it out of the "mindless M3" category for me yet though. One bit of good news is that with the new chapter, you get a new hidden object scene finally lol.

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 8:44:49 PM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Apr 4, 11 8:47 PM
I like a good match-3 but I could not get into this one. I was put off by the 15 year old cowgirl dressed in skin tight clothes that wiggled constantly on the match-3 board.(cheesy)

The sound effects and music were irritating too. Overall I found it boring.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 4, 11 8:57 PM
As for the boy and his bow helping out... If you hover your cursor over him, it tells you how to charge up and diffuse his bow - to diffuse it, all you have to do is make a match that doesn't break a tile. I personally don't care to try for 100% completions, so I don't know if that solves the swearing issues on doing that or not.

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 8:59:10 PM PST

wrennie
Minnow
Minnow
276 Posts

[Post New]by wrennie on Apr 5, 11 6:14 AM
I really liked this game and I bought it. Now I am absolutely stuck at the second hidden object puzzle. The hint says there is an object on the awning over the general store but there isn't any. I really wish there had been a skip button for this one. I haven't got 100% yet but it was fun trying. I did uninstall/reinstall but it didn't help.

[Post New]by Laydeenines on Apr 5, 11 7:14 AM
I got to level 56, the town is all done. Now what are the next 44 levels the same and do nothing more than add to food and supplies?

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Apr 5, 11 9:18 AM
As you could tell from my previous post, I was quite excited to play this game, but after 45 minutes of it, I lost my enthusiasm. Someone mentioned a "lack of instruction" and after reading Cherb's explanation about the dark areas to clear, I would say I agree. Who knew you had to do that?
Although I thought the colors were nice and bright to begin with, they started to hurt my eyes after a while. Plus the revealed path was very difficult to see. And what's with the transparent character? I couldn't see her or tell where she was headed. I know this sounds like I have terrible vision problems, but I rarely have problems with games.
And why has no one mentioned that weird little man wandering around the town telling you to build, build, build!!
Disappointed!

[Post New]by hawkes1959 on Apr 5, 11 9:21 AM
Not a huge fan of match 3 games but this one felt particularly geared towards kids, which is fine but I wasn't challenged at all and found game play to be rather dull. Sorry, but this gets a thumbs down from me.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 5, 11 10:10 AM
Hmmm... I would never compare this game with "Cave Quest". I love that game.

I only played 15 minutes of this game, and had to get out of it again. I didn´t care for the sound effects, and didn´t like the fact that the board moved before you could use it. I also didn´t care for the interference of that bow and arrow of the boy.

I found the gameplay rather monotonous, and was bored real quick. Sorry, it´s not for me.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Apr 5, 11 10:22 AM
WiccanWoman530 wrote: Yes Yes Yes! I am in heaven! This is Cave Quest meets Golden Trails/Rangy Lil'!!!
I am crazy in with Cave Quest (praying the Developers don't really change the sequel by taking out all monsters/battle boards as they said they are) and have gone through soooo many M3s looking for a game like it! Cuz sadly there were none! I hope this is a trend and the new style of M3's because its sooooooooo fun.
I love that this game also has untimed option, path boards, chains, ice, items, H0 scenes, story etc etc. I was just taking about CQ yesterday.. then BAM.. We get this gem. Not childish to me.. not as good as CQ mind you but just as fun!

The developers are going to change the format of Cave Quest? Well, what fun will that be? I could not agree with you more about the game "Cave Quest"; I also it.

MEnr56

smallbrowncat
Flounder
Flounder
2,029 Posts

[Post New]by smallbrowncat on Apr 5, 11 3:12 PM
I found it rewarding when I finally figured out that your score improves if you can break all of the boxes. That makes this game a lot more challenging. Do we always need to have all of the directions? It is good to exercise the brain from time to time.

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Apr 5, 11 3:57 PM
First, a small beef - if game developers are creating a game following a genre, why don't they actually do some research or even read a Wikipedia entry about that genre or ethnicity? I mean, how simple and cheap would it be to run the raw artwork and storyline past a starving History major or other college student with some expertise in the area? Heck, give me a few bucks and I'll at least fix the typos before you release the game!

I know it's just a game, and I know we're supposed to simply hang up our creative criticisms at the door, but it's tough when we start the game with a buxom 15 year old and a Native American who talks to coyotes - uh, for some Native Americans that's like saying someone of European descent is talking to the devil.

Okay, done with rant, on to gameplay.

The match-3 is well built and responds very quickly, allowing matches as other blocks are falling. This makes for a nicely flowing game. Like others mentioned, I also had problems with discerning the "blocks", even with my gamma set for high contrast. I ignored the jiggle-fest going on with the heroine (the developers DO know that a large percentage of their audience are women, right?).

I like "follow the path" m-3's, as it makes strategy more important - along with keeping an eye on the edges and taking the opportunity to remove blocks from the very edge of the screen when you can. Our little coyote-boy sort of lives up to his name here, as he's quite the devil when you're trying to be strategic!

The HOG portion is done using pictures instead of words for what you're looking for and has you finding either complete items, or components which are then used on other items (sweep the dirt to find a piece, fix the sign to show another piece) in the picture to find other components. As everyone else mentioned, the artwork is very clean and cartoon-y, so most objects are easy to find.

Overall, it's a nice fun game with a few different components to mix things up a bit, it's enjoyable but not brilliant.

Edited on 04/05/2011 at 3:59:19 PM PST

Nethelem
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by Nethelem on Apr 7, 11 3:17 AM
I played all the trial and i really liked this game! Very pretty graphics and nice country-style music. The only thing that confuses me - i didn't find anything new in this game.

[Post New]by Momthing on Apr 13, 11 8:17 PM
I like the game. The only problem I am having is that I am stuck on one of the hidden object levels, and I wish there was a way to clear out of it and resume the game. It is one of the higher levels too...right after the building where you can get logs (I forget what that is)...I hit the hint button, it shows me a hint, but when I click on it (by the wagon), nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem, or if so, how did you solve it?

I'm going to post this in another section where someone else asked the question. Maybe I will restat the game to see if that helps. I do like it...it's mindless entertainment and it does provide some stress relief. Now if only I could get past that one level...:-D

[Post New]by loslass on Apr 14, 11 2:25 AM
Beautiful graphics but mind-numbingly boring. I played the full hour demo but WHY do the M3 bits take sooooo long to finish?

dull, dull, dull - definitely wouldn't buy.

Go to: