Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Samhain

[Post New]by cherylee63 on Apr 14, 11 6:39 PM
GREAT GAME!!!!! Loved playing every minute of it. Great graphics and story. Very glad I bought it. Getting ready to play again!

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Apr 14, 11 7:54 PM
The story, what there is of it, isn't grabbing me, and that's bad right there. Then there are the puzzles which are very difficult for me. I'm playing on casual mode, which I always do when I'm demo-ing a game and it's not really helpful here. Ok, the decision is made...delete!

bobo144
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by bobo144 on Apr 16, 11 3:06 PM
Unfortunately, not my favorite. I had some technical issues with a few of the puzzles and I also didn't care for the direct clues, e.g., "you need a power drill here." I kinda like to figure that stuff out on my own. Overall, for me the game became more like drudgery than fun... sorry!

[Post New]by jules387 on Apr 16, 11 10:47 PM
I have to say, I was really excited about this game but ended up being disappointed. There didn't seem to be anything "Celtic" about it, apart from Cernunnos, who, to my recollection was not a demon. He played a minimal role in the game and I was never sure what the purpose of having him there was anyway.
I usually love the hidden object games on this site, so I hate to leave a bad review. For a lover of all things Celtic I just didn't see it in this game. Sorry

[Post New]by cheddarmelt on Apr 17, 11 2:41 PM
Really GREAT game play, but incredibly insulting to people of Celtic faith. It's too bad such culture bashing is allowed on BFG.

d0080b
Stingray
Stingray
5,334 Posts

[Post New]by d0080b on Apr 18, 11 3:20 PM
It's an OK game, but weird storyline and sometimes not interesting to really want to follow. In some scenes the remedy object is not accepted unless you hold it in a certain spot, which is annoying. H0 are well done and mini games are different but some leave you guessing as how to play. Game was enjoyable overall, but only a play once then delete for me.

[Post New]by phoenix_rising on Apr 19, 11 3:14 PM
Great game I had bit of problems solving some puzzles but it was great .
Hard to stop when you start, Just wish I had a bigger monitor this one is only 15" .
This game is worth the buy.

GIMLISAXE
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by GIMLISAXE on Apr 20, 11 9:30 AM
I really enjoyed this game. I liked the concept and the graphics were pretty good. I can't comment on the music or sound f/x since the wife was trying to sleep. It wasn't the hardest game in recent memory, but I found it quite enjoyable. For a casual afternoon I would highly recommend.

[Post New]by clockwork_daisy on Apr 21, 11 10:46 PM
Technically a good game but like others have said not terribly Celtic! I was disappointed because I really wanted to be swept along into a Celtic legend and wasn't - the storyline and the music were both very modern and the depiction of Cernunnos (a nature god, not a demon) very shallow. Glad I didn't go for the extended version.

mtgirl
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,151 Posts

[Post New]by mtgirl on Apr 24, 11 2:21 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILER I feel like an idiot but I did not understand the photos at the end-ie She married Robert but who was behind bars? Just confused....

Edited on 04/24/2011 at 2:22:30 PM PST

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Apr 24, 11 5:51 PM
Spent a lazy afternoon playing this game. I liked the story, graphics, and background music and sound effects. Also enjoyed the HOG scenes. But I was a little disappointed with the ending, I had a lot of unanswered questions. I wonder if the CE bonus content answered those questions? Like mtgirl, I also wondered who ended up behind bars - perhaps someone from the scientific group? But overall, a good game.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 24, 11 9:14 PM
it was ok, graphics were good but it did not really grab me

grma61
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by grma61 on Apr 28, 11 2:54 PM
Just finished this game,just when u think its over, there is more. Pretty exciting!!!

I call this one Fine Swine

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 2:55:27 PM PST

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on May 2, 11 2:59 AM
BFG and Elephant Games about 5 hours over 6 days
I'd classify as adventure with HOGs and puzzles/mini-games
Animated, colored cutscenes, text. No voice.

You are some woman looking for her ex-husband Robert. (why bother?) He disappeared in Cornwall while you were talking to him on the phone. So you go to Cornwall to look for him. (again, why bother?) He is with a group of people that are on the trail of some demon. You are the idiot who wants to save him.

Options include sound, music, screen size, custom cursor, mode, credits. Mode can be set to casual or advanced. As usual, casual means hints refresh faster, puzzles/mini-games are skippable (faster?), a single sparkle indicates an area to be explored, and multiple sparkles are used to indicate HOGs (hidden object game scenes). I played in casual mode.

Off the main window are options, strategy guide (calls on internet), achievements (18 possible), credits, quit. At the beginning of the game, the tutor is offered.

Play area: text is shown at top and has to be clicked away. Central bottom is the hint circle. To the left of it is the inventory (clickable) box. To the right of it is the clickable journal. HOG text list is to the right when needed. At top right of the play area is the menu button that leads to options and/or quit. Games are automatically saved on exit.

HOGS. Scenes are clear and easily viewed. Some color on color used (cheating, in my opinion). Some small items used (items are smaller than you would normally expect). Otherwise is straightforward mostly except that a few text items are misleading (eg. "badge" used for ID badge or a metal wearable object or "horn" as a bullhorn or trumpet or antler - that type of thing). I did not notice any intentionally misleading text - only some that may mean other than what comes to mind first.
There is no penalty for rapid incorrect clicks. Hint refreshes in 30 seconds. There are about 4 HOGs per area. Areas are separated by cutscenes and there are maybe 6 cutscenes. There are at least 4 puzzles per area.

Puzzles/mini-games. I must admit I had to skip several. Puzzles are usually my forte and I can't explain it. I don't know if they were harder than usual or if it was that I was tired (I hope). Whatever the reason, I do know that I ran out of patience. Perhaps some were unusual. In any case, I would rate the puzzles as being beyond a beginner. <<more>>

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on May 2, 11 3:06 AM
Certainly experienced or expert level for at least half of them. (the other half were as one normally expects: like master mind solvable in 6 steps or a row/column/diagonal puzzle. I don't remember any ridiculously easy puzzles (that I call activities) like color by number.) Puzzles are skippable after only a few minutes. There is an i(nformation) button to click if you need the very basics of the goal. I found this information less than satisfactory several times (so ended up skipping) nd at least in 2 cases it was downright annoying since 'info' followed my cursor around no matter what I did - even resorting to closing the program. I shied away at one puzzle that a lot of people had a problem with and simply skipped it. probably a mistake and I should have tried it. So basically, I think the puzzles were good ones and it was a combination of lack of real information as to goal AND my impatience that made me skip some - 4 I think.

The downside: sorry to say it was the sound effects and music. Sound effects included howling monkeys and dogs. Yikes! Enough said! Music became repetitious and annoying even though I could tell there was an effort to make it varied. The music wasn't bad. Just not sustainable. Sound effects were unfortunate.

I liked the graphics and the different locations. I didn't feel they were 'strange' mainly because of the cutscenes. I didn't have a feeling of disconnect with the locations, HOGs, puzzles or separate areas.

There are two pieces of advice I'd give to anyone playing this game. First, keep notes. Note your location and indented below each one, note the challenge(s) and what might be needed to solve. Having said this - small sorta SPOILER - if you can't figure out what you need, if you use an incorrect object on a problem/task
the text will tell you what you DO need. Any kind of note system would be helpful even though there are maybe 8 locations per area. Maybe a few more. The journal is good, but when you have gained an item, it's nice to be able to remember where it might be useful. If you have an A+ memory, forget this advice. :-) I found this game to be average in my note system: Three 8.5x11 face sheets and 1 for figuring/estimation/deduction. So 2 pieces of paper needed. Front and back. Maybe 3 (and I'm not telling) :-). Line out each item when done. This may be good advice for all adventure gamers. Wish I knew. :-)

sigh, more

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on May 2, 11 3:14 AM
For the most part, single sparkles go away when you no longer need to go to any particular location. They always go away for completed HOGs. This game is directed: you can only do certain things after you have done other things. And you only get certain items you need by doing certain things that are only provided
to you if you have done other things .... Another good thing for at least beginners: locations are no longer accessible if you have gained every object you need/can get. These locations dismiss themselves once you have clicked on the item(s) you need.

There was only one resource hog in the game that I noticed. This kind of activity (eg. water moving, fire billowing) caused my (old) laptop pause and resulted in cursor stutter and it slowed way way way down. This was near the end game. SPOILER - skip to next paragraph!!!!!!! It was fire in the warehouse and you
only needed to get one item - keypad - and then use one item - sand - on the location.

And I do have to admit that I referred to the walk through once. Therefore I'd rate this game at least challenging and wouldn't recommend it to beginners. However, intermediate and even expert players would probably enjoy this game. I hate to say it: I didn't feel any real urge to play this game. But once I started, I was engrossed. This game was easily put down; however I did feel a desire to come back and finish it. I can't explain the ambivalence. I know, right now, I want to play it again. After a few days, who knows?

I would recommend this game to those who like a challenge. Who prefer an adventure game over a HOG. Someone who likes challenging puzzles, and wouldn't mind the theme. Someone who likes puzzles. This is not a fluffy game. I very much liked it and look forward to playing it again. (BTW, don't remember any snakes. There's only one spider, I think, and it's knitted.) No children are depicted. Don't remember reading any other phobias.

Similar games: not sure of any right now. However, adventure games I liked include the Treasure Seekers, Clumseys, Mystery Case Files and Murder She Wrote. And RTR, the best! Maybe Shivers or Siberia.

(inspired by Genkicoll, thank you. I never would have reviewed without her encouragement.) So you all have her to thank for this overly long review. :-)

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on May 2, 11 10:40 PM
I enjoyed everything about this game. The graphics, the soundtrack, the Hidden Object Scenes, the storyline. It was a keeper.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on May 3, 11 9:51 AM

Just replayed the CE and loved it just as much as the first time I played. A very good blend of H0 and adventure, good graphics, interesting puzzles. However, as far as we know Cernunnos was the god of forests and the cycles of nature, not a demon. Still, it makes a welcome change from vampires.
Highly recommended.

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on May 7, 11 8:28 AM
I don't know about this one....it came recommended from the Mac forum, but, despite some beautiful work on the cut scenes, it just left me cold. Too much pointless running around, the mini-games were uninspired, and the game just seemed a bit too formulaic and easy. Disappointing.

TWO OF FIVE STARS

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on May 19, 11 1:10 PM
This game was OK. The puzzles were hard. I didn't understand the instruction's on most of the puzzles. I felt lost most of the time and used the hint button all the time, which I don't like to do.

Go to: