angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Novel

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 11, 11 7:37 AM
edmee1947 wrote:about piggy or not piggy bank:why piggy?in french the name is:tirelire,and has nothing to do with pigs,so every one can understand what it is!i know what a piggy bank is,but i know also that all money box are not looking like pig!mine was a big heart when i was a little girl(so,so far ago!!!!)

The term 'piggy bank' derives from the material they were originally made from and dates back to the 15th century. It was a type of orange clay known as 'pygg', which was used to make household items. People saved their money in 'pygg jars'; one theory suggests that a potter simply misunderstood when asked for a 'pygg jar' and shaped it as a pig. It may simply be that they sound the same but whatever the reason, the name stuck and when banks became the place you saved money, the 'pig jars' became known as piggy banks.

Nothing whatsoever to do with a review of the game but since you asked....

[Post New]by izzybird10 on Apr 11, 11 7:49 AM
I spent 20 minutes playing this game, and can't take anymore. It's slow and jerky, and each cut scene seemed to take forever to load. And who named the objects in the search scenes? This one will be deleted pretty quick.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 11, 11 7:53 AM
sinshack wrote:

BFG sells globally, and not just to English-speaking countries. But even if we just consider the English-speaking ones, I'm sure that the UK gamers get just as irritated to see their ladybirds called ladybugs, their boots called trunks, and their spanners called wrenches - and I'm perfectly happy to have a game that increases my vocabulary.

Not irritated, just confused...when I first started playing these games, I thought ladybug was a typing error!! Until of course it appeared in almost every game, by which time I had realised it was the Americanised term for ladybird!

Yes, trunks are for elephants and we call them boots; odd really since they're also footwear! Car boot sales are popular here (filling the boot of your car with unwanted items). We use both terms, spanners and wrenches.

My favourite was looking for a 'purse'. Here we call them handbags! There are others but eventually you get used to the differences in language.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 11, 11 7:58 AM
I found the graphics to be quite good and have had no trouble finding any of the required objects so far nor with the names of some of the items because they are logical plus, because I used to do a lot of crosswords, I already knew that a samovar was a Russian urn ... I know nobody likes a smart @$$ .

I am however a long, long way from being a genius alas but I too am not keen on sparkles and, in an ideal world, would like to see every game giving us the option to play in Casual Mode with or Adventure Mode without them.

I do find it nice playing a man for a change and I found the music OK playing quietly in the background although I wasn't conscious of it all the time. All in all this isn't a bad game and I am leaning towards purchasing it.

Cherb

ETA ... I forgot the most important comment of all

AUTUMN YOU GET TO USE A CHAINSAW !!!

Edited on 04/11/2011 at 9:11:56 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 11, 11 7:58 AM
IMO everyone should try this game!
I had similar views to some of the posters, that it was too easy and basic!
Options Slider controls for Sound and Music. Click for full screen or windowed. On my PC it has black bars either side, this never bothers me.
At first I did not like the sparkles, as I felt it made it too easy but things to pick up, do not always sparkle and can be missed. There is a lot of use for your sneakers!
After playing a while, you really DO have to remember things and THINK! LOL!
It is nice to see "British" terms used, in some instances, like "jimmy bar" and money box. The "stirrups", were definitely not right but again, this is part of the fun of deciding what the heck the Dev's mean! ROFL!
It appears to have some length to it, please remember that I am possibly one of the slower players...........
The H0 scenes are clear and you can still see the word, greyed out, in the list, when you have found something. I hate it when even the word disappears and you do not know what you have found!? LOL!
As I said at the beginning, Give it the full trial, it will not cost you anything but your time!

Harriju
Clownfish
Clownfish
593 Posts

[Post New]by Harriju on Apr 11, 11 8:01 AM
Any game I have to change my resolution for..........I ain't trying or buying!!!

LaDeeDah
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by LaDeeDah on Apr 11, 11 8:04 AM
Looks intriguing thus far. Only complaint I have is that the cursor is a bit iffy and no option to change cursor.

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Apr 11, 11 8:11 AM
jojo_the_joyful wrote:Good morning all & happy Sunday.

i have played 40 mins of this game & I have had my fill.

The story is gruesome enough about a state execution or legalized murder if you like & while the bloke was being electrocuted his chair caught fire, but TBH, so far into the game it is irrelevent.

You play a camp looking guy who ages 30 years after fixing a medallion worn my the mayor before he was killed by the guy they fry.

Jojo

Thanks for that review Jojo, enough to not make me even try the game!
I can't even relate to the idea of state execution, it doesn't happen here in the European Union, and I think both developers and BigFish has crossed a line in it being a part of a game.
Yes, I know many games are gruesome in their way, but this is a political issue - very different from, say, vampires....

My opinion....

Edited on 04/11/2011 at 8:15:15 AM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Apr 11, 11 8:18 AM
FYI

Re: piggy bank vs money box

Quote:
Originally Posted by reka39
Hi!
I mean, can I define a container in the shape of a pig *money box*?
I would think a "container in the shape of a pig" would almost always be called a "piggy bank."

It you must call it something else, I would say coin bank, or the less elegant but more literal money container. "Box" means, to me, something cube-shaped.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 11, 11 8:46 AM
barbee44 wrote:FYI
Re: piggy bank vs money box
Quote:
Originally Posted by reka39
Hi!
I mean, can I define a container in the shape of a pig *money box*?
I would think a "container in the shape of a pig" would almost always be called a "piggy bank."

It you must call it something else, I would say coin bank, or the less elegant but more literal money container. "Box" means, to me, something cube-shaped.

"A common storage box usually has the shape of a cuboid or right rectangular prism, although boxes of almost any shape may be used"
The above is just to help out! LOL!
Unless we all decide to "box" each others ears?! ROFL.
I do agree with all the comments on the language, I just take the Dev's errors as part of the "silly" fun of the game! LOL!
No offence to anyone at all.
Have fun everyone

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Apr 11, 11 9:02 AM
@puzzledone, clutchola and others who were looking for the sidebar...scroll down on the page where you Try the game....it's underneath the description of the game rather then alongside it now.

LaDeeDah
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by LaDeeDah on Apr 11, 11 9:13 AM
PowderMonkey wrote:
jojo_the_joyful wrote:Good morning all & happy Sunday.

i have played 40 mins of this game & I have had my fill.

The story is gruesome enough about a state execution or legalized murder if you like & while the bloke was being electrocuted his chair caught fire, but TBH, so far into the game it is irrelevent.

You play a camp looking guy who ages 30 years after fixing a medallion worn my the mayor before he was killed by the guy they fry.

Jojo

Thanks for that review Jojo, enough to not make me even try the game!
I can't even relate to the idea of state execution, it doesn't happen here in the European Union, and I think both developers and BigFish has crossed a line in it being a part of a game.
Yes, I know many games are gruesome in their way, but this is a political issue - very different from, say, vampires....

My opinion....

The execution is not portrayed in the game. Besides, it's only a story. For that matter, there are those with certain religious views who find vampire stories just as distasteful as you find this one. Not to mention the games which portray little children as innocent victims of all sorts of diabolical behavior. If you find the subject of the game distasteful, you're entitled to your view. I just don't think it's necessary to make it a "political issue". It's just a game, for pete's sake. JMO as well.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Apr 11, 11 9:15 AM
I am suprised how well this game is turning out, I love everything the game has to offer, Fishes give the game a chance you want be sorry, After 20 minutes I bought the game and i am enjoying every moment, I love it when there is interaction..wish I had the whole day to play but since i have company i have to stop, Good luck Fishes the one's that bought the game..
Happy Gaming
Thx big fish and DEV's

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Apr 11, 11 9:25 AM
clutchola wrote:You know what, Jeffory? I sort of consider myself a genius and I like the sparkles, too!
I love the sparkles and I'm definitely a genius lol. I still dislike this game, sparkles or not.

jsfurman
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by jsfurman on Apr 11, 11 10:00 AM
So So in my opionion. Trying to turn a puzzke piece was a major challenge. It said to just click on it. I ended up having to click about 7 times on each piece since it would not move. Too much work.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Apr 11, 11 10:43 AM
peglegann wrote:IMO everyone should try this game!
I had similar views to some of the posters, that it was too easy and basic!
Options Slider controls for Sound and Music. Click for full screen or windowed. On my PC it has black bars either side, this never bothers me.
At first I did not like the sparkles, as I felt it made it too easy but things to pick up, do not always sparkle and can be missed. There is a lot of use for your sneakers!
After playing a while, you really DO have to remember things and THINK! LOL!
It is nice to see "British" terms used, in some instances, like "jimmy bar" and money box. The "stirrups", were definitely not right but again, this is part of the fun of deciding what the heck the Dev's mean! ROFL!
It appears to have some length to it, please remember that I am possibly one of the slower players...........
The H0 scenes are clear and you can still see the word, greyed out, in the list, when you have found something. I hate it when even the word disappears and you do not know what you have found!? LOL!
As I said at the beginning, Give it the full trial, it will not cost you anything but your time!

She is absolutely right. The game is pretty good. I like it. I wasn't even going to try it because of the bad reviews... so don' t let that stop you from trying something free. I was at first a bit mad. I didn't know what a "besom" was. I had to back out of the game and google it. Then when it came to putting the medallion together I did it twice and nothing happened. I was missing a part that didn't look like it was a part of it. So it wasn't the fault of the game but the gamer.

I like that the story is unique. No girl named Anna... no father, brother etc. No haunted house (not yet anyway). The graphics are excellent on my Vista. I guess the only bothersome thing is that some of the items are called by unfamiliar terms... and so far that's the only dislike. So Pegleann was right. Give it a chance.

I'm just happy as a pig in mud to have so many nice 6.99 games... there for a while the only good games were CE's. So I'm happy and have already used up my store of credits.

I often see people remark on things they don't like about some of the less known developer's games, when the same thing happens in the CE's it goes without remark, go figure.

Edited on 04/11/2011 at 10:49:02 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 11, 11 11:31 AM
Aah! Thank you barbee44.
I do appreciate that some fishies have a DL limit, which I have not mentioned here today.
Another fishie claims to have finished the game in about 2 hours, I am on my third hour and have not finished yet.
BUT remember, we all play at different paces, I consider myself to be slow, I hate skipping any mini games, although I did give up on the keys I can never do those and it is not for lack of trying

pilimai729
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by pilimai729 on Apr 11, 11 11:32 AM
you mean state executions being gruesome, as opposed to being beheaded; drawn, and quartered. guilotined, etc... geez it's a game folks, and playing it isn't mandated by anyone. I only want to know how the gameplay is; such as clarity of the graphics, length, difficulty of the puzzles, etc. We are a world of people who have different customs and ideology. accepy that and learn. Now happy gaming.

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Apr 11, 11 12:09 PM
cherbtoo wrote:I found the graphics to be quite good and have had no trouble finding any of the required objects so far nor with the names of some of the items because they are logical plus, because I used to do a lot of crosswords, I already knew that a samovar was a Russian urn ... I know nobody likes a smart @$$ .

I am however a long, long way from being a genius alas but I too am not keen on sparkles and, in an ideal world, would like to see every game giving us the option to play in Casual Mode with or Adventure Mode without them.

I do find it nice playing a man for a change and I found the music OK playing quietly in the background although I wasn't conscious of it all the time. All in all this isn't a bad game and I am leaning towards purchasing it.

Cherb

ETA ... I forgot the most important comment of all

AUTUMN YOU GET TO USE A CHAINSAW !!!

WHAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

iF I wasn't having such bad luck lately with games I would probably buy without playing.......just to get started on chainsawing stuff

Thanks Cherb!!!!

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Apr 11, 11 12:19 PM
pilimai729 wrote:you mean state executions being gruesome, as opposed to being beheaded; drawn, and quartered. guilotined, etc... geez it's a game folks, and playing it isn't mandated by anyone. I only want to know how the gameplay is; such as clarity of the graphics, length, difficulty of the puzzles, etc. We are a world of people who have different customs and ideology. accepy that and learn. Now happy gaming.

Yeah, but as I said, my opinion. You don't have to agree...
And still, a review can be about anything you find good/bad about the game, right? Don't get your knickers in a twist!!

Edited on 04/11/2011 at 12:20:31 PM PST

Go to: