elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: Mystic Hospital Collector's Edition

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 15, 11 5:56 AM
(Disclaimer here--commenting after about 20 mnutes of the demo)

I'll keep this short (which is sometimes hard for me to do!) because there have been beaucoup really good Cs & Rs already.

Didn't take me long to find the "Buy It" button! Reminded me of Green Hills Sanitarium and Redrum 2--both great (but sobering) games. The intro, with the voice acting, is excellent and sets up the storyline perfectly; the options menu "walks the walk" and includes a cursor choice (the game one was a bit sluggish on my system). Keep the speakers on--the sounds are something else!

The game offers two play modes, for folks who like "sparklies" and for folks who don't. The hidden-object scenes are clear and fair--the hint system (like a sonar scope) re-ups quickly. Only mini-game I encountered was "5 switches--this one turns on these lights, that one turns off one of those but turns on these" (there is a Skip). The graphics are over-the-top terrific, as are inventory-item-based interactions. The Strategy Guide is available in the demo, but it requires exiting to the Main Menu.

Did you like the two games I mentioned? Then this one's a winner!

Edited on 04/15/2011 at 5:57:00 AM PST

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: Mystic Hospital Collector's Edition

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Apr 15, 11 6:18 AM
poppy85 wrote:Having read the comments already made, I wasn't sure about this one. I decided to try it though. The first H.O. scene was ok - light the lantern etc and the objects weren't too hard to find. I wandered around and found the second H.O., when the 'cap' turned out to look like the ones worn by prisoners in concentration camps I gave up.

It might turn out to a good game technically and I've no way of knowing if there turns out to be 'goodies' and 'baddies'. The subject matter so far as I saw is not going to be fun or entertaining. I like being frightened by a spooky game, but not being upset by the subject.

No poppy points on this one.

Edited to include a work I'd missed out.

Poppy, I agree with what you say. I played the demo, and was quite in two minds about this. I won't buy it though, I might be getting old, but I don't like the goriness - did play Redrum and Green Hills, but have had enough now. Too bad about the story, because everything else about this game seems to be perfect!
Good for someone not as squeamish as me....

Edited on 04/15/2011 at 6:20:52 AM PST

orijojo
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by orijojo on Apr 15, 11 6:37 AM
jkuci wrote

Orneon seems to have a Ukrainian headquarters. Orneon developed the "Echoes of the Past" HOGs as well...

Thank U for the info on Orneon.

I loved the "Echoes of the Past" games, I think they may be the the only two games in a series where the second one is as good as the first.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Apr 15, 11 7:33 AM
fishies,have you noticed the name on pedestal of statue?tepès is the last name of dracula,whose real name was vlad tepès earl dracul?and i think the hospital is in east europe after the 1 st world war near by romania....the castle in the lake looks like the castle i saw in romania and the people say to be the real dracula's!i think also it is a good thing not to have pinapples,bananas and other ridiculous objects to find
just one thing:the stethoscope was too recent,the old one was in wood!lol!

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Apr 15, 11 7:33 AM
I loved it...the graphics, the puzzles, the game play...Fabulous!

but...

Way. To. Disturbing.

I am not a flinchy person....I love all the dark games (well most)...But the abuse isn't tolerable. Just a personal decision...Enjoy this one fishes

Edited on 04/15/2011 at 7:34:16 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 15, 11 7:41 AM
I'm on the fence about this one. Although there is a hard mode and there are no sparkles with it, there is still lots and lots of handholding via verbiage used when clicking on doors or objects or via the journal as per Spoiler that follows: (highlight to read)

After defeating 'ElectroMan', I entered the first building on the left. Before I looked at anything in the room, my journal was flashing, so I looked at the journal and it showed the bathtub and told me there was a key in the bathtub but I couldn't get it because I didn't know what kind of acid type stuff might be in the bathtub. Really?? Thanks alot!! Then sure enough I look in the bathtub and there's the key.

What's the point of "hard mode" if stuff like this is gonna happen all the way through the game. And this is a game where you either have to use the journal or write your own walkthrough in order to avoid it.

So I don't know if it's gonna be worth the time or effort. I'll have to wait and see how long the average play time comes in at.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Apr 15, 11 7:53 AM
Thanks to all for your comments. I agree with all the favorable reviews and am off to buy this right now! I've played 20 mins of demo and had no tech problems, I changed the screen resolution and cursor more to my liking and appreciate the developer/designers giving us the option to do so.

Have a wonderful weekend fishies

Faylyn

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Apr 15, 11 8:04 AM
I bought this game because I needed something to play. The game yesterday wouldn't work right so I can afford to buy any game so why not this one. So far it seems funish so I'll finish it then comment again.

Krissy41
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Krissy41 on Apr 15, 11 8:24 AM
FANTASTIC GAME!!! It's nice to see a CE game that has more than one task per scene/page and not alot of wasted art. It's a really fun game well put together and worth the CE price IMO....Kudos BF for offering a good game on a rainy cloudy day here in Indiana

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews/Game length, etc

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Apr 15, 11 8:50 AM
Took me about 45 min to complete the sample/demo. Must admit that I did skip at least 1 (maybe 2) mini-games. That means that the game (including bonus material) would take me about 5+ hours. I'm okay with that.....

Liked it okay, as long as I didn't get caught up in the "bad" creatures being good soldiers who volunteered and were transformed by experiments. A little bit of the Bourne Identity series there, with a supernatural twist. Not a huge fan of the story line, it's very "graphic novel" 'ish (formerly known as Comic Books).

I'm on the wire about buyinging as it's an interesting game with good play time. Just felt like it was a bit too easy - may hold on and see what else comes out this month.

Did anyone else notice the girl on the poster where you get the 7/7/1914 date? She looked a little more 1930's/1940's than 1914. Don't think the bikini (bandeau) top was fashion that early - at least not in public!

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Apr 15, 11 9:18 AM
Hi Everyone

I really really like this game, it's a buy for me. Sppoky, creepy, different, all in all, it's great! I played in hard mode and the demo took me 43 minutes, no skipped puzzles and few hints in the HOG's but it is not too hard or too easy, perfect for me!
The atmosphere and graphics of the game are excellent, the music is sufficiently creepy. The HOG scenes are some of what we have seen before a milliuon times but I liked the one where you had to put the object where it belonged, that was different and fun. the mini games in the demo are the usual mix of pipe puzzles, switches and the inventory puzzles are easy to figure out.
I like the awards you get for the various accomplishments in the game. They are fun to aspire to, and I used the strategy guide for 1 item and it is pretty comprehensive so anyone can play this game.
I like that hard mose has no sparkles, but I agree with what someone else said about there being a lot of unecessary explanations given about what you need for a puzzles, etc. That is not needed. People who play in hard mode want it to be hard, so that is a minor complaint. From the cut scenes at the end of the demo there is alot of the hospital left to explore. A definite Buy! A+

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Apr 15, 11 9:24 AM
Have not downloaded this game yet. By some of the comment I have read so far--it has a very dark, disturbing theme. Makes me wonder what kind of person would come up with such an idea. Can't we have a upbeat game every now and then?

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Apr 15, 11 9:44 AM
Very strange, this game. I'm not sure I want to buy it even in SE, don't know, just kinda creeped me out. Graphics, etc were great. So it's probably me.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 15, 11 9:56 AM
The game is really good - graphic, gameplay etc. But I will wait for the standard version, because I have already bought another CE this month

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Apr 15, 11 10:25 AM
adventure777 wrote:Seems like a buy for me . It looks and feels like Green Halls Sanitarium but in my opinion, it's less disturbing.
Haven't read this thread the whole way through but this made me laugh. You find the results of human experimentation less disturbing than the subjects in Green Halls? Seriously? (Thinking about Green Halls' mirror and toys.) Wow.

Coachswife
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Coachswife on Apr 15, 11 10:26 AM
Played for 1/2 hour, and I love having a game to play for the week-end, but I haven't decided if I will buy or not. Do all CE games have to be dark and depressing, getting a little tired of these themes

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by userfree on Apr 15, 11 10:51 AM
Yes, more of the same, but don't we love it! Can't remember when I passed up a CE recently and this one will be a buy for me too. Thanks, BFG, for a good one for the weekend!

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Apr 15, 11 11:08 AM
this game is just plain out horrible.it sure isn't worth 13;99.I am definitely not desperate enough to buy it.The hidden object game did it for me.Coloring is terrible.I am glad my eye sight isn't bad enough to let me think this is a good game.But to those who may like it, happy gaming.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 15, 11 11:19 AM
Just finished playing the trial and found the game to be one I like. Haven't had any problems with HOG's or IHOG's and graphics were clear. Music is ok for the type of game that it is. Haven't really found anything ofensive and so far not scarey... I guess when you play games, you know it's just pretend. I won't be buying it right now as have a few games to play and then the offer of SPRINGFEVER will depend on how many games I want. Game to me is a 4 out of 5 stars..

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Apr 15, 11 11:45 AM
I have played only about a half hour of the demo, but I will be buying the game! I'm buying it for the "game play"...not the story behind it. The stories are important to an extent, but I haven't failed to buy or play a game yet because I didn't care for the story but liked the game play.

Go to: