yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 28, 11 8:09 AM
This looks like a fabulous game and I'm looking forward to playing it. Thanks again for releasing another great game!!!

bobobear
Flounder
Flounder
2,315 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bobobear on Apr 28, 11 8:24 AM
Okay, I only played 20 minutes of the demo but I gotta say this game is awesome. The graphics are incredible and I like the little thing that says Area Clear when you finish looking for something. I also noticed that the devs are using some different items to find. Yes there are the usual wrenches and gears but I dont think I ever had to find sunflower seeds and some other items that I won't go into. After 20 minutes I have only seen a small portion of the game. But it was enough for me to buy. Thanks Gogii and , another winner in my book.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 28, 11 8:47 AM
I played the demo from the publisher's site (don't think I can say "GOGII" ), and thought, "CE Thursday over at --I wonder--Hmm"! Well, BFG, you delivered! This is one beautiful game that Mudrock predicted on the money!

Evil has enveloped the Big Easy, and it's up to us to get things back to normal. The intro drew me right in and set the mood perfectly. (The antebellum mansion reminded me of a classic home in Charleston, SC, where we used to live). The voice acting is WAY professional, but I'm not sure if it shows up later in the game. The graphics are detailed and colorful (as can be for an occult (ooh--there's that word) adventure). Keep the speakers on for the game soundtrack (unless you've absolutely gotta listen to a ballgame play-by-play)! Now hear this, other developers--the Strategy Guide is available with the demo! And it has a memory during the game--it remembers where you left off! Can't wait to dig deeper into this winner!

Hey Puzzledone--Good observation about a comparison to Deadtime Stories--that one set the bar pretty high for this kind of theme--hopefully, this game will even go one better.

Hey Kelvarda--Your "Comments" are some of the best "Comments" I've ever read, but I'd put your "Comments" in the "pure, in-depth Review" category! You've got me fired up about playing this game! And thanks for the heads-up about the "GUI Tool Tips" (I was half expecting Tim Allen ("Home Improvements") to show up on the monitor and show me how to use the different cursor icons! LOL).

Hey AvgSpock--Kudos for a great post! I liked your comments about the game's "usability"--couple of things I didn't think about, like the cursor in the middle of the magnifying glass. (I'd send you a GZ "Good Tip" kudo if I could!)

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 9:03:16 AM PST

[Post New]by Crystalscove22 on Apr 28, 11 8:51 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:
Crystalscove22 wrote:One of those sleepless nights so why not check into TGT? And was I ever thrilled not only to see a great looking game (and a CE)! but a SUPER REVIEW by DragonLadyOz! Lately the reviews have been very short & vague & not too helpful...DLO's review was a sight for sore eyes! Many thanks to her! Especially mentioning that she plays in hard mode and that there ARE no sparkles...makes this a buy without question for me. I will double check that once I download I have no problems getting into the game...if that goes as planned..I'll buy & then play! Happy Spring!

Well, thankyou Crystalscove22 for your kind words - I hope the game plays OK for you, but regarding the sparkles.... spoiler...highlight below if you really want to know
....in the expert mode, there are sparkles, but they are ....now that would be telling!!!
Cheers.

Game running beautifully! Thanks for the sparkle tip...LOL...I'm still chuckling!

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Apr 28, 11 9:18 AM
Ive played thru the first chapter and it is longer than some games to me. I really like it. I walked so much my legs , eyes and fingers are getting tired. LOL. I think this will be about a 5 Sitter for me. Im off to take a nap. Nice Reviews today. Thanks Big Fish and Developers this has been a good week.

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Apr 28, 11 9:23 AM
Well, I wasn't going to buy any more games this month since it is so close to the end and I am far away from another punch card credit, but I caved when the demo for this game was up.

What a fantastic game!

there are so many things to like about it: the HOG scenes are challenging, the grpahics are stunning, the music is great, the puzzles, although a little easy, fit the story, and the premise of the gakme is compelling as well. But, what I like the most is the using of spells and ingredients to solve puzzles in the game( the morter and pestle, combining items is brilliant and different from what we have seen before.

So far, i am still in the mansion, but it has a lot to do there. I am in advanced mode, but i am finding it to be worthwhile( no sparkles, have to really look around to find things) and it is also not too hard to figure out what to do or where to go, although there is quite a bit of running around.

One of the better gamesto come along in awhile, this has been a good week , with this and dark ritual, i am a happy camper! AA

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 28, 11 9:43 AM
@ elldee2728

Thank you for your comment. Most appreciated.

Regarding the GUI Tool Tips. I've had to remove my original explanation as I needed some room to add a couple of comments about the Grimoire and the Mortar.

For those wondering: In Options there is the ability to untick GUI Tool Tips. Now I know GUI stands for Graphic User Interface, but don't know what unticking this does. I did untick it and played for a while, but didn't really notice anything different. So I put the tick back in and carried on playing. If any-one can enlighten me on the difference unticking this would make I would be most appreciative.

Maybe if GogiiGrace is still around she could answer this one for me.

I am really enjoying myself with this game though. It's brilliant.

Kel

Proxyman
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by Proxyman on Apr 28, 11 10:14 AM
Forgive me, as I'm not GogiiGrace, but the tooltips in the GUI are what you see in the upper black strip. It removes only those containing descriptions for GUI (mortar, grimoire, exit, guide etc.). Ingame texts are still there... some might consider the GUI tooltips disturbing as they are really not about the story itself. Hope that helps.

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Apr 28, 11 10:31 AM
Proxyman wrote:Forgive me, as I'm not GogiiGrace, but the tooltips in the GUI are what you see in the upper black strip. It removes only those containing descriptions for GUI (mortar, grimoire, exit, guide etc.). Ingame texts are still there... some might consider the GUI tooltips disturbing as they are really not about the story itself. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the heads-up! I am often unclear about the "mechanics" of the game and am delighted to find insights into this stuff.

I also want to complement you on a trip through memory lane. I love to see the old labels and containers from long ago. It brings back memories of mellower times when the corner store was the hub of the neighborhood and socializing was done from the front porch or over the back fence. I know it was not really as idyllic as it sounds, but I choose to remember the soft interpretation of those days.

I loved this game. The graphics were stellar. The "area clear" signs were wonderful (I tend to spend a lot of time looking in the wrong spots). The quality of gameplay in this game is truly remarkable. Thank you!

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Apr 28, 11 10:38 AM
Proxyman wrote:Forgive me, as I'm not GogiiGrace, but the tooltips in the GUI are what you see in the upper black strip. It removes only those containing descriptions for GUI (mortar, grimoire, exit, guide etc.). Ingame texts are still there... some might consider the GUI tooltips disturbing as they are really not about the story itself. Hope that helps.

@Proxyman

Thank you for the explanation, It is most informative. Shows how much I notice when I'm playing a game!

Kel

GogiiGrace
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by GogiiGrace on Apr 28, 11 10:42 AM
Ahh, it seems I was a little too late to get back to you, Kel! But thank you Proxyman for providing the answer!

Proxyman's correct. Turning on the GUI Tooltips makes a black bar show up at the top of the screen when you hover over things like City Map, Hint Spell, Grimoire, Task List, etc. in your HUD. It just tell you what those are, where as turning off the Tooltips makes nothing appear at the top of the screen.

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Apr 28, 11 11:00 AM
Just finished 34 minutes of the demo in Regular mode and my first impressions are very good. Very little hand-holding, only small sparkles and when you find inventory items, you must figure out how to use them. (Some are obvious, but most are not.) From the MAP, it looks like lots of places to investigate, so should be of good length. **** scenes are challenging, all so far in tones of brown and beige, but graphics are clear. And just the right amount of creepy music, lol.

Come May 1st, this will be a definite buy for me.

[Post New]by monagodfrey on Apr 28, 11 11:49 AM
having trouble finding the Try It for free download, any help out there! Thank you

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Apr 28, 11 11:55 AM
While I really liked this game, I didn't LOVE it, and for me that's an essential for me to think of buying.

Like others have said, the graphics are lovely. Reminded me of a cross between Shiver: The Vanishing Hitchhiker (one of my fave fave games ever), and MCF 13th Skull. The gameplay was good, well standard really - travelling back and forth to find items and solve little puzzles. The mini puzzles so far were on the easy side, which was a bit disappointing for me. I played in Advanced mode so did have to cheat a little and use the SG, especially towards the end of the demo when I was worried about running out of time before completing a task I think the game is pitched right in terms of game play - not too easy, not too hard, but challenging enough to keep most people happy. There were plenty of scenes to explore (on Ch 1 anyway), but not so many that I got lost. HOG scenes were beautiful, vintage/retro style, and fairly easy for the most part, with one or two tricky to find items.

The main thing for me, was "does it grab me enough for me to not be able to wait to find out what happens?" Although I think it IS a great game, the breathtaking anticipation is just not there for me, so I will be waiting for the SE, bonus content or lack thereof aside. I think that, for $6.99, this will be one heck of a game, but for me right now today, $13.99 (or £10.80 as we Brits like to say) is just a bit too much to pay.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 28, 11 11:56 AM
Purchased the game. Playing in Advanced Mode, using no hints, no strategy guide skipping no puzzles total game playing time - 4.5 hours. Publisher - Gogii Developer Funswitch.

I'll start with the storyline. New Orleans voodoo isn't new; however, the city (or at least part of it) is being possessed. This story takes us back in time (late 19th century) with a female heroine who has studied with Marie Laveau II. (Yes, it has to be the daughter). An evil spirt has possessed some of the people of the city (actually just a few) and our heroine has to use her powers to de-possess them and find out who (or what) is behind this evil. You find ingredients, make spells, talk to the dead and lift curses. All in a days work - and actually kinda fun. There are some things that could have been done better to maybe make it MORE fun and more voodoo like maybe...you know spice it up with a little more drama...but maybe we'll see that in the next offering. So the storyline gets some original marks, but I found it slow in developing.

I found the graphics and fx good. But after awhile, the dull-colored hidden object scenes began to wear on my eyes. They were colorless for the most part, but they were staying true to their backgrounds (outside at night, etc.). No scene was repeated more than twice. However, I did find some objects questionably labled: a "domino" was a mask; a "boneshaker" was a bicycle. And because there was no wide screen selection or aspect ratio for full screen, I noticed at least one item that was almost totally off the screen - a circular box - that I could only catch a glimpse of in the far upper right corner. However, there are no extraneous sparkles in advanced mode (yeah!!!).

Puzzles - I want to be gentle here. The first word I'll use is unoriginal. The second is redundant. There are three basic types you'll see: those you'll find combinations for (easily) those you'll spin/match dials to solve and those you'll match pairs for (leaving odd man out).

Bonus Play - This developer had a clever idea. They added an extra map section in the middle of the game rather than a bonus game play at the end. Depending on your views, you may see this as brilliant or you may feel cheated. Personally, I see this as brilliant, becaue this means the buyers of the SE don't get stiffed at the end of the game, as they do in most CEs . Unfortunately, this didn't mean any longer game play--it only added 30 minutes for me. (continued)

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 9:11:21 PM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 28, 11 11:57 AM
(continued)
Conclusion: My greatest disappointment with this game is the ending. I won't go into detail so as not to spoil it, but suffice it to say, I think it could have been handled much better, provided a resolution of sorts and still left room for more.

But my overall rating: For storytelling/originality; technical merit/gameplaying mechanics/fx; puzzles; hiddden object scenes/ bonus gameplay; Three out of five stars.

I'm withholding 2 stars for shortness of bonus gameplay, questionable labeling of items, redundancy and ease of puzzles, lack of widescreen support and dissatisfaction with ending.

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 9:13:55 PM PST

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Apr 28, 11 12:06 PM
Amazing game...The graphics were fantastic, the music was bearable, the puzzles were difficult...

I started this in the advanced mode because I do all games in advanced mode and skipped tutorial...boy, was I lost...which is good! I think I will buy this game even as a CE

[Post New]by dylansmom1979 on Apr 28, 11 12:12 PM
sassylassie wrote:
dylansmom1979 wrote:I LOVE scary games, the scarier the graphics, sounds and music the better. I even enjoy some pop ups at the screen from time to time (Mishap)

Scary games and Scary HOGS are the MAIN games I buy from Big Fish or anywhere. LOVE, LOVE them. This game will be mine once I notice the mouse cursor plays nice.

I think the voodoo woman in the game put a curse on my CURSor, LOL.

I agree with you 1000%. I am the same exact way. It keeps the adrenalin going lol. Especially when you are so immersed into the game and something makes you jump out of your chair. It's fun!

Yeah, I loved Mishap and the first time I played it I had headphones on so the first time the woman in curlers jumped out and screamed I literally jumped back and said, well a not so clean word. It startled me for a little while because at first you didnt know when it would happen, sometimes after a few wrong clicks sometimes after a good amount of wrong clicks and sometimes after just 1 or 2 wrong clicks so it wasnt like you could time it on how many wrong clicks you made.

And another game that I liked was the Salem Witch Trials, that one had a few things here and there like the eagle face jumping at you from the gate door and screeching at you and other things like that.

But about Voodoo Whisperer, I LOVED what I played of it so far and I will be trying taking it off custom cursor and switching back to see if that helps,

But Big Fish, I think this game is a winner for me and make more games that have Haunting music, Scary sounds, Beautiful graphics and GREAT voice overs (I dont mind reading, but NO voice overs can make a GREAT game get boring before too long)

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 12:14:47 PM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 28, 11 12:38 PM
Well, I purchased it before finishing the demo. The game is great, and I did not experience any lag or technical glitches. Will be good to play during the weekend.
Dark theme doesn't bother me, as long as good is fighting and winning over evil ;-)

Good weekend coming up to all.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Apr 28, 11 1:20 PM
Ooh Yeah! Ooh Yeah! Ooh Yeah! My kind of game with magical potions, spectacular graphics, dramatic theatrics, and that you are invited to play. I accept the invitation, but first I must gather up all my good luck trinkets, just in case.

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 1:23:37 PM PST

Go to: