Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

[Post New]by Shannon282007 on May 3, 11 4:21 AM
HdO games are a BIG waste of time! How are they still in business? I have yet to come across anyone with half a brain who likes these games! They have great ideas but the follow-through is AWEFUL!

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on May 3, 11 4:21 AM
I usually just read some of my favorite reviewer's comments, but today I have to add that this game is really NOT fun. I lasted one minute.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 3, 11 4:21 AM
Those of you who have read my reviews know that usually I am willing to give any game a decent try, and I did with this game even though I knew it was an HdO.

It's not that it's bad, it's that if you have played one HdO game, you've played them all. There is no difference at all except for the titles and graphics - gameplay is exactly the same, controls are exactly the same, and progression is exactly the same.

What I don't understand is why on earth do they have to start each game with the stomach-churning movement on the title screen? Why replay the same scene multiple times, first with finding (for example) blue butterfiles, then orange ones, then white ones, etc. Why do the jigsaw puzzles always start out with the first one a 6-square that only requires 2 moves to solve, the next one is a 6-square that requires a couple of the squares to be turned before moving, and the next one has more squares, some of which require turning? Why do the slider puzzles always have the same ratio of single-square pieces, two-square pieces, and L-shaped pieces?

Like I said, not BAD in iteself, but so repetitive game-to-game that it's obvious they paid ONCE for the skeleton of the game, then just plug in the different themes and re-sell it as a different game. There is no progression in style, no innovation by the designers, nothing NEW at all except swapping out the pictures and title.

As much as I hate it when I see review after review that simply say "boring," I'm going to have to agree on this one. And it's not the game itself that is boring, it's the "series" if you can call it that. I don't like to bash developers because most of them put a lot of time and effort into their games - but HdO simply does not put in the time and effort I expect, nor do they live up to the title "developer."

The dictionary definitions of "develop" are "1. to bring out the capabilities or possibilities of; bring to a more advanced or effective state" and "2. to cause to grow or expand" and "3. to elaborate or expand in detail."

I know that BFG can only buy what is offered, but when a developer doesn't develop, it's time to check out new sources for material.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on May 3, 11 4:28 AM
After realizing who the Devs are and reading the reviews(clear and detailed btw) and comments about this game I thought about stamping it "no try". But, it IS Alice in Wonderland (my namesake ) and I have a large collection of "Alice" games and a big plus is no Tech issues listed at all so far so I had to at least d/l and try it. I played 45 minutes and I almost hate to admit it but, I enjoyed it. Yes, many objects are small but the couple I had to use a hint on were obvious, in my face ones that I should have seen (a tiny mouse I found, a big butterfly I couldn't lol). It may take me a while to finish it, however, that is just what I am going to do.
It's a buy for me. I usually pass on these Devs but I think there is merit in this one.
I'm sorry that so many didn't care for it, maybe tomorrow will bring something better. Happy Gaming All

robinbucy
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by robinbucy on May 3, 11 5:30 AM
Glad to see you back, Goofyduck. We've had some really great people step in to do reviews, but I still missed your thoroughness and impartiality. Welcome back.

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on May 3, 11 5:36 AM
another HdO game.....
I tried for 7 minutes and then deleted it...
not my cup of tea...

this is what I wrote this morning...and then I wanted to give it another try...
I cannot say I really love this game, but I like the puzzles
and it´s not that bad as the other games from HdO
and I had a free coupon...so I thought why not

perhaps I will feel sorry for myself in 10 minutes, but till now I´m enjoying it

jerseyd1
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by jerseyd1 on May 3, 11 5:45 AM
When will BFG realise that this is a really bad game developer? No buy!

[Post New]by Coronagold on May 3, 11 5:46 AM
As soon as I saw the HDO sidebar in the 3 small screenshots on the download page I ran away screaming like a little girl.

Rosedene
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Rosedene on May 3, 11 6:11 AM
I played the game for ten minutes and then trashed it. Found the quality very poor compared to the usual Big Fish Games.

lorilolo33
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by lorilolo33 on May 3, 11 6:13 AM
okay, am i the only one that realizes this game was already put out. i bought it awhile ago. so i peeked into my list of purchases and there it was. don't remember if i cared for it then either. but still, how can it be a new game if i already own it through bf?

Frogmort
Manatee
Manatee
3,812 Posts

[Post New]by Frogmort on May 3, 11 6:26 AM
lorilolo33 wrote:okay, am i the only one that realizes this game was already put out. i bought it awhile ago. so i peeked into my list of purchases and there it was. don't remember if i cared for it then either. but still, how can it be a new game if i already own it through bf?
Quite a few "Alice" games in the catalogue (not to mention not in catalogue, such as American McGee's version - unlikely to show up here ).

Might you have bought "Alice in Wonderland", a different game, released last year? (as opposed to "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" - this one). There was also a "Fiction Fixers" Alice.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on May 3, 11 6:28 AM
Like almost everyone here, I thought "Oh, no! Not another HdO game," but I was willing to give it a try. I wouldn't say that I thought this a great game, but I will say that I thought it was a whole lot better than the other HdO games that I have tried. At least I played the full demo hour and found it sort of mindlessly fun. As GoofyDuck pointed out, it's a straight hidden object game with mini-games thrown in.

Some of the objects are small (the magnifier button helps), and a couple were unclear (I used the hint button for "pile of dust"), but the mini-games are quite varied, ranging from matching (but in groups of four) to sliders.

The perspectives are somewhat strange, which is why some fishies found the game unpleasant. I can understand why they caused people with vertigo to feel nauseous, but they didn't bother me that much.

I didn't like the game enough to purchase it, but I wouldn't have minded if the demo had lasted another half hour. I hope that Alice is a sign that HdO is trying some new techniques to improve their games.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 3, 11 6:45 AM
IT's reallly too bad that this is an H2O game, what a mess.

Ok, it starts out hopefully, upswing music, nice cut outs of Alice and the gang..looks hopeful. You try to put the developers name out of your brain.
Sure enough, the awkward start page is in your face..that really really needs to be reprogramed. It's unfriendly, and if your not used to these games, which frighteningly we all are, it is a real turn off..looks much too software engineery...change it.
Immediately your in the world of small is better. Smaller and in the dark is even best.
You spend, at least I did, waiting for the hint button to hurry up so you can get on with it. I didn't even try to find a rusty key..I'd had it by then.
Developers, if you haven't gotton the idea yet...get it. This game had a possibilty, as all your games do, but you keep repeating the same injurous mistakes. We don't like squinting and getting new eye glass prescriptions. YOU look for items on a lap top, not your big dev screens, You look at the same old, same old programming and wonder why no one is excited and encouraging each other to buy. When we are excited, notice the games that we are excited about are VERY popular and sell like crazy.
Prove us wrong and tell whoever it is who is telling you to just crank another squinty small game out that that is a poor business model..your name is your dollar. Your name has a terrible reputation. We'd love to see things tun around...please do that.
kris

heartless500
Catfish
Catfish
1,605 Posts

[Post New]by heartless500 on May 3, 11 6:59 AM
oh joy - yet another HdO game...

Sorry but as soon as i found it was an HdO it went bye-bye. I dont like them, i wont buy them, period, end of that discussion.

I really have to question Big Fish's thinking on making ANY HdO game the main release of the day - use them as a soft release if you must use them at all - but the main game??? Really??? After all of the negative reviews on these guys???

Sorry, but I just wont buy ANY game from this "developer" (and i use the term loosly here) unless and until they can actually prove they have "developed" a real game!

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on May 3, 11 7:07 AM
The developer is Solilabs. HdO is just their Hidden Object adventure moniker.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on May 3, 11 7:16 AM
Like so many others I love Alice in Wonderland and dread seeing HdO. On another thread regarding another HdO game I said I would delete the game without trying if I saw Hdo was the developer. I almost did this time, but the Alice story kept me from doing that. The mechanics of the game have not changed-I agree there. It's the same game in that respect, just a different story. I ended up playing the whole hour, which surprised me. Maybe it was the Alice in Wonderland story that kept me going. It's been a long time, but it seems to me the game stayed fairly true to the story. I could be wrong though. I still won't buy because all the other issues remain unchanged.

mcscooby
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by mcscooby on May 3, 11 7:17 AM
As soon as I read it was HdO stop downloading and deleted! Not even going to waste my time.

[Post New]by colorsplash on May 3, 11 7:18 AM
not really a reply just a question What is Hdo or for that matter any of the initials used to categorize these games. I have been a member for years but too embarassed to ask. By the way I am so grateful for all the reviews of the games. I have been saved hours of playing stupid games that looked ok but became Blah later. Love all the big fishies in the pond!!

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on May 3, 11 7:23 AM
I would think BFG would get the message if NO ONE BUYS HDO GAMES! We vote with our dollars, after all. Even using a free coupon counts as a buy, so we should refuse to buy any of them and then maybe they will go away.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on May 3, 11 7:25 AM
colorsplash wrote:not really a reply just a question What is Hdo or for that matter any of the initials used to categorize these games. I have been a member for years but too embarassed to ask. By the way I am so grateful for all the reviews of the games. I have been saved hours of playing stupid games that looked ok but became Blah later. Love all the big fishies in the pond!!

HdO is the registered trade mark name for the developer Solilab. This is the name they use for their Hidden Object Adventure Games.

(thanks to textrekkie for this info)

Kel

Edited on 05/03/2011 at 7:47:55 AM PST

Go to: