Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Detective Agency 2: Banker's wife

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 4, 11 5:31 AM
This game is definete a NO BUY for me, because the game isn`t interactive enough for me, too easy and also uninteresting

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on May 4, 11 5:50 AM
I see that most of the reviews didn't like this game. I can't say it would be my favorites but not a bad game. I didn't like having no options. Tutorial for instance. I rarely use it.
The hidden objects were on the small side in some cases but not unidentifiable. The mini games I thought were fun even if they were a bit on the easy side. It does seem that they were getting more difficult the farther I played.
The dialogue popping into the middle of things kind of irritated me.
I don't think I will buy this right now but if it came out in a DD I may.

It would be a great game for a beginner. Just a bit simple for a person that plays every day.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 4, 11 6:00 AM
Just like the last game, this game is getting many bad reviews. But let's not jump all over BF. I read an article recently which said that HOG games are so popular that it is difficult for these game sites to provide enough games for their users. So, this is probably all that is out at this time. Tomorrow really looking forward to the CE. I just don't waste my time anymore on these poorly developed games.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on May 4, 11 6:26 AM
I was playing it and it froze on the door knobs part so I quit and deleted because I'm not in the mood to try and wait for it to fix. I'm not that crazy about this game.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on May 4, 11 7:03 AM
Kebbielebbie wrote: I think I am getting picky and opinionated in my old age...

1) I have a problem with any game that changes the speed of my mouse pointer

2) The dialogue is painfully boring and slow (the sliding two-dimensional characters don't help)

3) The H.O.s are very small and not clear at times

4) I gave it 5 minutes and deleted

So this is the 3rd game in a row that gave me a frowny face...Give me a smiley face, BF! Please!

LMAO!!! That's exactly what I was thinking. Those characters popping in and out with their dialogue drove me crazy and needing a key to get OUT of a room? Really? I mean how can you be locked IN your office?

Another good game for kids I think.

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 7:04:37 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on May 4, 11 7:17 AM
It is possible to be locked in your own office if you have a
deadbolt lock that requires a key both inside and out. After
two break-ins, that's the type my nephew has on his office.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on May 4, 11 7:47 AM
I'm one of those people who always follows the story in a game, and I do have to give the developers credit for putting in some real effort to make this a true detective mystery. But to follow the mystery, you do have to read everything, look at everything you can, and remember details from previous chapters.

You don't need to do any of that to just play through the game, but if you do enjoy that kind of thing this game does have it.

Some of the mini-games have a sort of Towers of Hanoi feel. They can be quite long (one solution is over 50 moves), but they were an interesting visual twist on the usual type and the solutions were logical, so I myself enjoyed the length of them.

I'm going to put up another post explaining about the plot logic since that's a major spoiler.

Robin

[Post New]by satexasgirl on May 4, 11 7:51 AM
I sort of recall playing the first. I don't own it so I really don't remember much about it, & yeah, purple t-shirt boy caused me to recall a bit more. Maybe 2 has improved over 1, but I just can't say. I did play the whole hour. It's safe to say I won't be buying the game at all. As others have said, I really hate being forced to use a hint. Yes, there are four and yes, they recharge relatively quickly, but why insult my intelligence once you've pointed out here's where the hint button is, click it if you can't find something." I realize the developers think they're being helpful, but the fact is, at least in my personal opinion, I feel more insulted than inclined to feel grateful. I don't know if this a case of British vs American English or a case of an erroneous translation, but a door handle and a door knocker are two different things where I come from. On the plus side the story does take an unexpected turn that did make me wonder. I didn't have any buggy or technical issues I have a Windows 7 laptop. Do give the game more of chance before you decide. Have fun, y'all.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 4, 11 8:02 AM
I agree satexasgirl, for everyone that can......"Do give the game more of a chance before you decide! 25 Chapters, I am estimating, on my usual slow speed about 4 hours play. I have not read all of the comments and reviews but early on I read sinshack's, Kelv's and goofyducks. I have nothing to add. Apologies to all others that did a review and I missed them out.
Have fun all.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 4, 11 8:28 AM
"Excuse me Mr Banker I think you need to get a new maid ... not only is your house an untidy mess with strange objects everywhere but I had to use a crowbar to open your fuse box because I couldn't find Sophie to ask her for a key ".

This game is OK and the graphics are very good for such a small download but it does have an annoying aspect to it. I'm sorry devs but I really hate the way the characters move backwards and forwards when there is dialogue. IMHO this is totally unnecessary when there is a cameo of the speaker next to the dialogue. I would have liked some of your objects to be slightly larger and I thought that the ink looked like a small box of chocolates .

The story is promising and the puzzles are quite easy ... LOL at finding the correct combination of colours to open the safe ...

Spoiler Alert ... highlight to read

I just clicked on it and the safe opened so I didn't have to solve anything

Wouldn't it have been great if we could have driven round the map ourselves in that snazzy sports car just like Nancy Drew did in one of her games.

I started writing my comments over 7 hours ago (congratulations Dobbie you had just become a ) and I have only just finished it so apologies ... and "great minds think alike" ... if I have repeated anything anyone has posted during that time.

The more I played this game the more it grew on me and it is now on my list of possible purchases.

Cherb

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on May 4, 11 8:34 AM
I bought the first one and I loved it. This one looks to be a little better, more to do than the first. Not every game is a CE and I'm glad. I like them but I still love a simple HOG-lite-iHOG to just relax and enjoy. Games like this first got me hooked on HOGS and and I will always love them! HOGs with lots of items to hunt for, that aren't right in your face. Something about most of new CEs H0 scenes are just too easy. When I can click through every H0S in under 30 seconds then tear my hair out on some mini I hate I miss games like these! This is a good solid developer, the items are not impossible to see, no blurry blobs here unlike HdO! But not too easy, I like thier unique minis too! I usually like most HOGs that gets bad reviews just because its not a CE, ERS, MCF etc..So THANK YOU DEVELOPERS for making games like these, some of us still enjoy them and love seeing sequels like this remain SEs! Sometimes you need to keep it simple stupid, with good quality.
I also like the comic book type stories, pop-up characters and even FTDs lol I enjoy the story just as much as the game play, never rush through either. I fell in love games like Nick Chase, Little Noir Stories, Special Inquiry, Strange Cases, H.E, etc while many dislike them, I'm still hoping for more. This series reminds me of them. Its old school HOG, done right with a bit of a iHOG twist in this new sequel.

One note; I had not updated Java, Adobe (flash and shockwave) or direct X in awhile. I had to update all to play this demo and the 1st I was getting lag and the floating cursor. So if anyone has this problem its an easy fix.(I know it never did this when I played the 1st game So tested yup same problems and after updates it ran fine too) Even tho my game manager ran them recently, I had to go to each website and update from them also Java had me uninstall 2 older updates. Never got that prompt from just BFG GM updates. I rebooted PC and they ran no problems then, quick load times.

I didn't play long since I decided to replay 1st and don't play a full demo when I knows its a buy. I won't give an in depth review now, tried it, saw it worked (after updates), and all I need to decide, Buying now with PC credit. To each his/her own, sometimes I just want a good old fashioned HOG to enjoy without all the headaches, getting lost and stuck. Try it, you might like it.
A must buy and for now, will review/rate after I finish.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on May 4, 11 9:04 AM
Thank you, WiccanWoman, for expressing my feelings so well.

I, too enjoy this type of game as a break from all the dark, intense
types. I don't want either type to go away.

This will be the game I play right after I finish Voodoo Whisperer.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on May 4, 11 9:22 AM
peglegann wrote:
janspack wrote:I'm torn with this game. It's perhaps not up to the standards of some but it really isn't as bad as some people seem to think (IMHO anyway). Yes, it's annoying with all the pop-ups and not being able to skip the tutorial and the items can be very small but actually, they are also pretty clear even though tiny (and my eyesight is terrible )
I think people should at least finish the trial before writing it off. Saying it's dreadful when you have only played 5 or 15 mins seems a bit premature. I found myself enjoying it more once I'd played it for a few scenes and began to understand the way the game workes.
For me, it's a playable game and I might well buy it at some stage when I've got a spare Bonus Card voucher.

I have been reading comments, in between working. I have only managed to play 16 minutes of this, while I was waiting for some offices here to open.
I FULLY agree with your comment on spending more time on demoing a game, than some fishies do. I have even encouraged others to try some games for longer and we have all ended up buying them! This is not a criticism of anyone. Just sometimes, some games are worth trying for the whole demo. LOL

After reading a few more reviews, and paying particular attention to the two comments quoted here, I have to agree with these posters. I am sometimes so wrapped up with trying to ’write a review (or an overview) or simply my observations’ of a game, that I don’t play the whole hour (or demo time) and sometimes therefore, don’t give a game the attention it deserves.

I spent about 20 minutes play with each of the profiles I created for this one to see if it had any replayabilty factor (ie: different objects to be found in H0 scenes) as this is sometimes a question asked by other players, unfortunately this game didn’t.

But I take note of these comments and will in future try to play the game for the whole hour (or demo time). In fact, I will re-download this to my other PC and play it again, this time giving it ‘more attention’. I will then amend my previous post if necessary.

Kel

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on May 4, 11 9:26 AM
I purchase alot of easier h o games to play inbetween the darker ones and this game looked good for this.

The graphics in this game were very clear and colorlful. Nothing fancy. It was a different style h o in how you found some items. Liked the mystery story.

This game is not a buy for me simply beause the h o items were way to small for me to identify

Hopefully other fishies have better eye sight

Happy game day to all fishies

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 9:28:42 AM PST

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on May 4, 11 9:48 AM
Wow! Good thing it's the beginning of the month! There's a whole month of possibilities just waiting around the corner of the month of May and I am hoping it improves from this!
I really did not enjoy the sliding characters! The thing I found really hilarious was the wiggling "leather jacket" on the first "sliding character" on the left side of the screen that actually turned out to be the telephone on the desk that was ringing during their conversation but it looked like it was his leather jacket sleeve wiggling to me! Ha ha ha! I thought "WHAT IN THE HECK???" LOL!
Okay, but that isn't what did me in on this game, it was the relentless having to go get other items off of other lists to finish the items on the current list you were looking at. It just made it really unenjoyable! And that annoying blinking arrow for that tutorial that was completely unnecessary. REALLY? I get to click on a hint button if I'm stuck? Well, I'll be!!! Thank you SO MUCH BECAUSE I DID NOT KNOW THAT BECAUSE I AM A COMPLETE IMBECILE! Thank you for insulting my intelligence AND wasting my TIME and ANNOYING me all at the same time, developers! THAT takes TALENT! I am usually pretty patient about annoying tutorials... I have never complained about one until now, LOL!
This is a game that I honestly do not think I would get for a daily deal. And if I get half crazed and say I'm going to get it will one of you lovely fishy friends please remind me of this post? PLEASE!!!

cherbtoo wrote:"Excuse me Mr Banker I think you need to get a new maid ... not only is your house an untidy mess with strange objects everywhere but I had to use a crowbar to open your fuse box because I couldn't find Sophie to ask her for a key ".

Oh Cherb! You gave me a chuckle! LOL! I quite agree!

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 9:52:34 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 4, 11 10:51 AM
Didn't know if I shoiuld try this game or not but I did. It's not a bad game, I really don't like the music but you can turn it off or down. Had some good puzzles and sometimes I didn't know what you were supposed to do next. I didn't think it was handholding at all. It did have you doing too many things at once. You would just start one thing and then you were told to do something else. Would really have to think about buying this one. Might be a good DD game in the future.

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on May 4, 11 2:44 PM
I actually forced myself to keep playing the demo for 23 minutes, then quit and deleted this game.

The gameplay has been set up in a very specific style and is forced upon you. Plus, there is almost constant interruption with tutorial type texted dialogue.

But my biggest complaint is that when I exited this demo, all the Icons on the right side of my desktop had been slung to either the left side or the very middle.

Would not have this game on my computer if it was free.

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on May 4, 11 3:36 PM
I don't like games that mess with my monitor settings and then don't reset them when I exit the game. Plus, my mouse felt like I was moving it through sludge. This looks to be a long game, but not in an exciting way. The concept was okay and the H0 art was clear, but I know there will be a better game to spend my money on.

johnandi5
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by johnandi5 on May 4, 11 3:53 PM
I played the demo for the full hour. It was an OK game no surprises and I found the things to find very small. It has interaction and mini games which you play to get certain things off the list. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be according to some of the reviews but it is a no buy for me as it's too easy. I didn't have trouble proceeding through the game and I think if you've played a lot of these games the use of the inventory (briefcase) and things to find (notebook) fairly obvious.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on May 4, 11 7:09 PM
The demo was okay. For me, the graphics just weren't what I want. Graphics are important to me in a game. Many items were too little or too blurry to find easily.

Go to: