deelberger
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Emma and the Inventor.

[Post New]by deelberger on May 20, 11 7:38 AM
The trial took me 29 mins. to finish. Seems that a lot of these games now are not giving us the full 60 min. trials. I find they are usually the short games...I remember I used to be able to finish the short games within the 60 min. trial. Seems to me rather than cutting us off after we get to a certain point, the developers should make the games longer! I especially get frustrated when I finish the game within 20 mins. after making the purchase! Guess I'd rather get cut off before the 60 min. trial ends than to buy a game and wind up playing for such a short time before finishing...either way, I wish they'd make them longer!!!!

I did like this game as far as story, graphics, and play goes. If it were longer, it would be a buy for me.

Dee

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on May 20, 11 7:47 AM
The game had a bit too much hand-holding for my taste because sparkles alerted you to hot spots everywhere, although I realize that many people like and count on sparkles. IMHO the target audience for this game is more novice players than experienced ones, which may explain the length of the game. I enjoyed the graphics, the hidden object scenes were fairly easy (though the Egyptian one in the basement was a little on the challenging side), and I felt ridiculously pleased with myself for figuring out the Fibonacci mini-game without any help.

People who don't like snakes or spiders should know that the game has a few of each, though certainly not as many as some of the recent "dark" games.

Overall, I found the game fun, if not very challenging, but I finished the demo in 37 minutes, and I don't intend to buy the game given the many comments on the length.

Happy gaming!

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on May 20, 11 7:55 AM
I ditched it after about five minutes of that annoying magnifying glass. When are the developers going to figure out that we're more interested in a good game than useless gimmicks that add absolutely nothing to the game?

weissvonnix
Marlin
Marlin
8,067 Posts

[Post New]by weissvonnix on May 20, 11 8:02 AM
Tried this game and was at first really curious. The graphics are nicely done, the cursor is something l never have seen before (made like a tong), the scenes a good change between light and dark, the music kind of light and nothing really scary in the whole demo.

But.. and those are real big But´s:
This game is way too easy, the few mini puzzles l got aren´t worth mentioning them, the hidden objects are easy to find. There are sparkles wherever you go and even more it´s a bit confusing, that those sparkles (leading to a mini game) don´t disappear right after finishing the puzzle, but sparkling some more seconds.
And the worst point, this game seems to be so very short, that l didn´t found another to compare it.
l wouldn´t call it a game at all. The demo was done for me in half an hour, including reading the credits, listening to the music a bit and making a coffee in between. And this demo looks like it includes the whole first chapter out of only three of them.

Absolute a no buy for me.
Only (because of the lenght) of

[Post New]by Coronagold on May 20, 11 8:50 AM
A few bugs in this game, like the magnifier when on the front gate buzzer simply doesn't want to retract. I had to quit to the menu screen and continue to get back to normal. After completing building the radio it brought me to a static inactive background shot of the radio with no tool bar or menu links. After a full minute it advanced out to the kitchen again, all on its own.

Though I liked the gameplay and puzzles, there was something very disconnected about it visually in certain spots. When I finished the outdoor mill area, I clicked on that jungle gym in the upper left on the screen and landed back facing the front porch of the house. I don't mind tricky stuff like tiny rooms becoming huge, but it should make sense within the story instead of randomly throwing that concept at us with no explanation.

The real kicker is...(SPOILER!)
When Grandpa comes back he begins telling her of the amazing things he saw and did when he was on his journey. I couldn't help but think, "Gee, I wish this game followed his adventure instead of his granddaughter rummaging around in his house."

Mavism
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Mavism on May 20, 11 9:29 AM
Too easy and short. No buy.

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on May 20, 11 9:32 AM
Coronagold wrote:How do certain game studios manage to pack nearly a gigs' worth of download into an hours' worth of gameplay?

Don't know, Corona, but I'll bet the developer splash screen, scrolling credits that include the janitor and "awesome" hints for the sequel might be part of it.

Tredz

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on May 20, 11 9:33 AM
Double post oopsie - sorry.

Edited on 05/20/2011 at 9:36:11 AM PST

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on May 20, 11 9:33 AM
Good grief! Triple post oopsie.

Note to self: check if mouse has a short in it.

Tredz

Edited on 05/20/2011 at 9:37:59 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 20, 11 10:12 AM
Wow, do developers not ever read reviews! Slow, choppy movements, but removing custom cursor helped a bit. Extremely long cut time between scenes...waste of time and makes it boring. Magnifying glass was a bit annoying. Some items were very small and hard to see and hint system wasn't really a hint at all. Graphics weren't bad, music was okay. Did not care for the sparkle when you found an item.

Had 20 minutes left when demo stopped. According to the WT, I was a bit more than half way through. Developers, when are you going to understand that we would spend our money on games, if they were worth the time. Short games are not, no matter how much or how little you charge, and I would not waste a credit either. No buy for me. Hopefully tomorrow will bring something much better.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on May 20, 11 11:24 AM
Thank you goofyduck for your insightful review, otherwise I would not have downloaded the demo.

True, the story has been done before, but the graphics were excellent and the presentation was new. The music was haunting.
I had no technical hiccups or slowdowns. I would consider purchasing the game, if it were longer. After looking after the posted walk-through, I can see that the demo ends half way through the full game.
Thank you Tricky Software for developing this game, but please make your next title at least longer.

Edited on 05/20/2011 at 11:31:39 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on May 20, 11 11:25 AM
Really enjoying this game and there is now a walkthrough posted.
Have to confess I needed it for the cycle puzzle:
Spoiler:
(didn't realize I could only switch pieces one space at a time. LOL)

As far as length, I'm slow so demo ended while I was still at the end
of Chapter One and with a Groupon, I'm getting it cheap., so it's
Okay.

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on May 20, 11 12:00 PM
This game could have been much much better without all the hand holding. Not only were there sparkles to indicate areas of interest (why can't they have a mode without sparkles), but there were also sparkles to indicate inventory items if the player fails to find them within seconds. Really, what's the point of an "adventure" type game if the player doesn't have to think. Having said that, the graphics were really nice and the hidden object scenes were well done.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on May 20, 11 12:01 PM
I stopped playing with about 38 minutes left of the demo. The graphics were nice and clear, it was nice not to see snow, rain or fog. I didn't like the sparkles telling me what to do, I'd rather figure it out myself. The magnifying glass was annoying and I am sorry, but I found it to be boring.

Jenoli
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Jenoli on May 20, 11 12:14 PM
I finished the demo with 28 minutes to spare, and then I looked at the walkthrough and found that the demo is about half the game so I won't be buying even if it is a good game and takes us out of all the dark games we have had a lot of recently.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on May 20, 11 12:48 PM
That was a quick demo. Seems like I'd just started and then time was up. Found the game a bit too easy for me including the puzzles, nice graphics, sparklies unnecessary, and the magnifier annoying. Plus another missing grandfather. Been there done that far too many times in other games.

Not a purchase for our household.

Edited on 05/20/2011 at 12:50:50 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 20, 11 1:07 PM
I beta tested this game. I found it a good game, not terrific as some of the CE"s. However, if you have any coupons to use up, this would be one I would recommend. The graphics are decent and the game play is only slightly challenging. Again, not a masterpiece as some in the BF line, but fairly good. Grade: B+

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Emma and the Inventor.-SHORT

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 20, 11 1:52 PM
This was a very very cute little game...but frankly, it was so short it is not even worth the DD price, and I used a coupon. EEpers. A lot of you noticed and notated that it was short...but I had no idea HOW short.
Mind you, I'm not a fast player at all. But if I hadn't run into some video card updating issues, I would have finished the game before thehour was up. So, it was too short for buying. My bad,
On the plus side...this really was a well drawn and thought out game. The usual grandaughter looking for the wacked out grandfather with the MACHINE but you got to poke around thier home and play for a bit,
The graphics and hand painted backgrounds were really nice...very clear and clean. A few buggies...as in spiders,,but not scarey particularly. No flashing lights. Pretty well behaved game once I updated my video card, which surprised me, frankly. Live Chat figured that out.
So, if you want to burn a coupon, go ahead. Otherwise, wait for the DD if it becomes available orcall upon the developer to keep developing.

Much too short, developer, you get a bad name for that around here. We'll bite once but unless you lengthen your game as well as keep up the fine graphics you offer, you'll lose market share.
kris

[Post New]by slick609morgan on May 20, 11 1:55 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey DeadRiver,

thanks for opening this thread!

I've just went ahead to sticky it!

Fishies,

What do you think of Emma and the Inventor?
We value your reviews, as do many of he other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/160799.page#3140590>here</a>.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

[Post New]by slick609morgan on May 20, 11 1:59 PM
I have started to play this game Emma and the Inventor. There is no skip options. There are some mini games that I just do not wish to play. I have a hard time with some and chose to play on. This game has no option. If that is the case I would like to reconsider my purchase. Am I doing something wrong?

Go to: