mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 2, 11 1:05 PM
megwoman25 wrote:I couldn't wait to get the SE of this game & I just should have known better. Its a pretty game. The graphics are nice, the voiceovers are nice, the hidden object scenes are nice, the puzzles were nice, the storyline was nice but I swear with all ERS games, its the same thing over and over and over and over again. They are recycled games to make money. I keep saying "ok, im not going to buy anymore" and then I keep demoing them thinking "okay well its kind of different..." until I get past the demo time and its the same thing over n over n over n over again. Im bored with ERS games. Its the same music, graphics, puzzles, themes. I feel like I am walking through the same houses, riding in the same boats, picking up the same items. They are always 8 chapters, they always play about 3-4 hours for me n by the end im so bored I am falling asleep. I am done with ERS games. There is nothing original about them anymore. Its a waste of my money even with the $4.99 sale price but on that note Im now sleepy enough to go to bed happy gaming.

Our posts are almost identical! Lol. I too, think they are focusing now on QUANTITY versus QUALITY. I used to be a huge fan but they are taking shortcuts left and right. And yet the fan base is still solid with mostly rave reviews. I don't get it. The last three releases have, IMHO, stunk. Same game, different titles. Yawn. If they don't get their act together and use the talent I know they possess instead of trying to make as much money as possible with those %$#^*@ weekly CE's, then they will have lost another fan in me as well. So sad to see greed outweigh talent, especially when I KNOW they have the talent!! Frustrating.

[Post New]by nellyandjohnny on Jun 2, 11 3:01 PM
I finally think I've played enough games now to feel confident in reviewing..and I have SO used reviews in my decisions to purchase. Anyway, really liked this one. Nice adventure game and good graphics..my only downer and it's a mild one, is that the HOGs seemed to come in bunches and sometimes, it's nice to have a gap between them...you turn the corner and 'ooop there's another one'. Liked the mini-games a lot and I agree, it was nice not having to move back and forth too far to find clues. Thumbs up! - plus got it in the sale so double whammy!

viv76
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by viv76 on Jun 3, 11 10:20 AM
No buy for me, I was enjoying it but I have bought far too many games that I completed an hour after buying, this time I checked what point I was at in the walkthrough and noticed I was nearly half way through the game, I'm no longer going to buy games that offer less than 5 hours gameplay, and I reckon this one would have been 2 and a half hours at most

[Post New]by fishiegamer on Jun 3, 11 6:10 PM
A great surprise after a few lately (Notre Dame, etc). Clear graphics, fun, interesting HOS & puzzles.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 8, 11 11:24 AM
mycatluna wrote:
megwoman25 wrote:I couldn't wait to get the SE of this game & I just should have known better. Its a pretty game. The graphics are nice, the voiceovers are nice, the hidden object scenes are nice, the puzzles were nice, the storyline was nice but I swear with all ERS games, its the same thing over and over and over and over again. They are recycled games to make money. I keep saying "ok, im not going to buy anymore" and then I keep demoing them thinking "okay well its kind of different..." until I get past the demo time and its the same thing over n over n over n over again. Im bored with ERS games. Its the same music, graphics, puzzles, themes. I feel like I am walking through the same houses, riding in the same boats, picking up the same items. They are always 8 chapters, they always play about 3-4 hours for me n by the end im so bored I am falling asleep. I am done with ERS games. There is nothing original about them anymore. Its a waste of my money even with the $4.99 sale price but on that note Im now sleepy enough to go to bed happy gaming.

Our posts are almost identical! Lol. I too, think they are focusing now on QUANTITY versus QUALITY. I used to be a huge fan but they are taking shortcuts left and right. And yet the fan base is still solid with mostly rave reviews. I don't get it. The last three releases have, IMHO, stunk. Same game, different titles. Yawn. If they don't get their act together and use the talent I know they possess instead of trying to make as much money as possible with those %$#^*@ weekly CE's, then they will have lost another fan in me as well. So sad to see greed outweigh talent, especially when I KNOW they have the talent!! Frustrating.

Me too. I certainly wouldn't buy any more ERS collectors editions. The latest Puppetshow I've got down for a DD. Really enjoyed the game. And did like that there wasn't as much running round. But I too am getting a bit cheesed off.

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Jun 8, 11 4:16 PM
mycatluna[/quote wrote:Our posts are almost identical! Lol. I too, think they are focusing now on QUANTITY versus QUALITY. I used to be a huge fan but they are taking shortcuts left and right. And yet the fan base is still solid with mostly rave reviews. I don't get it. The last three releases have, IMHO, stunk. Same game, different titles. Yawn. If they don't get their act together and use the talent I know they possess instead of trying to make as much money as possible with those %$#^*@ weekly CE's, then they will have lost another fan in me as well. So sad to see greed outweigh talent, especially when I KNOW they have the talent!! Frustrating.
That is true for ERS games. And the same can be said for Gunnar Games games. Have you ever been to one of those "art" shows where you can buy the same landscape in any one of four different sizes? Same thing. What they do, they do very well. But that is only because they do it over and over again. Boring yes. But I like boring if this is the type of game I want to play...and, of course if the price is right.

mtgirl
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,151 Posts

[Post New]by mtgirl on Jun 9, 11 7:32 AM
Barney is a BERNESE MTN DOG!!!!!!!!!!! MY rescue Bernese Greta ,died 15 years ago,and I still miss her every day.Great dogs,but short life span.Greta lived til she was 9,which is actually long for a Bernese.Anyone here have/had one?

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Jun 11, 11 9:15 PM
I just completed the sample version in 50 minutes with no skips of puzzles, dialog, and no hints used. Since there are only 7 chapters, and the sample was 3 chapters, that puts my completion time at ~ 2 hrs... and that fact alone is why I will NOT be purchasing this game... sigh... that really bums me out.

I love fantasy style games. The graphics here were all you could ask for and the story, although not really orginal, was well done... though I thought the spoken dialog was a little slow... I can see why since the game is so short. I enjoyed the puzzles I encountered even if they were on the easy side... I was all ready to add this to my wish list when I checked the walkthrough for legenth. sigh again!

Oh, and one pet peeve of mine: as much as I like the "double hidden" objects that are "yellowed" in the HOG list, I think that the items should be "un-yellowed" once they are "visible"... After all, sometimes opening a cabinet can actually block other items you need to find. Yes, the "color-toggling" can give away the location for some items but that beats searching for something until you are cross eyed only to realize it is BEHIND the cabinet door you opened. grrrr!

Generally I won't even pay 2.99 for a game this short but I MIGHT make an exception for this one if it is ever a daily deal... but I have way too many games on my wish list to buy this short of a game otherwise.

Edited on 06/11/2011 at 9:18:55 PM PST

omoomo
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by omoomo on Jun 12, 11 11:18 AM
bfgArnoStyx wrote:Hey Fishies,

Just swimming by to sticky this thread.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

If you are experiencing technical issues with the game, please refer to our Technical Issues thread <a href="http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/162383.page">here</a>.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy reviewing!

omoomo
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by omoomo on Jun 12, 11 11:23 AM
At first I had a lot of problems....game finally froze...had to completely restart...and I also remembered a hint from another game to change to custom cursor...did that the second go around...and even thought very very slow, ( I believe that may be my computer age!) I did get to play the entire game the second go around! I really did enjoy it...the puzzles were fun...just challenging enough...I will re play it one of these times. Yes, I too got it on the $4.99 special...and the money was more than well spent...once I sort of ironed out some of the kinks. I would recommend it to others for a good time.

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Jun 14, 11 6:15 AM
sheilaclown wrote:Thankyou BFG for this lovely game. I thoroughly enjoyed it throughout. It has a good storyline, no dripping body parts and is long enough to be interesting but not boring. THANKYOU x5

I agree sheilaclown. I absolutely loved this game. I was fortunate enough not to have any tech problems and took my time enjoying this game. It was also great not to have the dark, dreary evil that so many games have had over the last year.
I give it

[Post New]by dmickey on Jun 21, 11 9:18 PM
What became of the Princess' puppy??

Edited on 06/21/2011 at 9:19:20 PM PST

sandyca
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
450 Posts

[Post New]by sandyca on Jun 24, 11 11:28 AM
Loved this game and it seemed to last a bit longer than some others, although I tend to take my time at games.

Some of the puzzles were challenging but not impossible, nice graphics, music and good storyline. Great game, many thank-u's!

[Post New]by EllesLangille on Jul 3, 11 1:58 PM
Absolutely the best **** game I've played in a long time!

The graphics and artwork are both detailed and beautiful;
the voice-overs were pleasant enough;
the storyline is interesting and above all - coherent;
the music/sounds seemed to fit and weren't unbearable to listen to;
the length of play is above average;
many more scenes and areas to investigate than most other HOs;
puzzles were not so difficult (or senseless) that you had to continually rely on the walkthrough for assistance.

Well worth the money!
I'm going to search the web to see what other games these geniuses have come up with!

KUDOS to the creators!!

streamrdr
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by streamrdr on Jul 4, 11 11:18 AM
Beautiful graphics. Hidden objects scenes are very well done. Nice music and story. Primarily an adventure game. Hints are very slow in renewing, and for that reason seemed a bit tedious. Most of my game time was trying to figure out what to do next and most of my hint usage was for that purpose. I got through it, but was glad when it was over.

Edited on 07/04/2011 at 11:18:52 AM PST

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 7, 11 9:18 AM
Well now, it seemed that ERS developers has release another superb game; hats off to them. The game can be played on either causal or expert mode. The game’s graphics are crisp and clear. I didn’t find the music/sounds intrusive at all. The game play mechanics – the hidden objects (most where you have to do something to actually to get that particular item(s) on the lists) Back tracking after finding an item or items that’s required in the previous area. I didn’t mind back tracking. There are mini puzzles; I didn’t find them too easy or hard. I found this game enjoyable and there is a possibility that I might buy it.

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Jul 12, 11 9:58 AM
Excellent game. And though I often buy CEs, for some reason I didn't on this one. But I'm not the least bit sorry; this game was easy to follow without having a SG and I didn't have to refer to the blog wlkthru either.

Medium difficulty ** scenes, voice-overs, and very nice graphics.

Really enjoyed this one.

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Jul 18, 11 3:39 PM
Beautiful! Beautiful game !I had such adood time playing it ,I even finished the mini-games I hope to see more like this one soon

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 28, 11 9:21 AM
Even though I enjoyed playing this game, I was SO disappointed at how SHORT, the game actually was, and I took my time and didn't skip anything .
At 500 and some megabites, which is a lot for a game download, especially a SE version, I expected much more game play.
Of course there was extra content that was locked, and it said you had to purchase the CE, to play it, why even have that on the SE version, if its impossible to get too.
So another trick to add to my list, when developers are trying to make a game seem longer, than it actually is.
I didn't get it on sale, so for 2 1/2 hrs, from start to finish, is unexceptable in my book, Ive cut back on buying games, just for this reason.
Now as far as the game goes, I did enjoy playing what there was of it, loved the story, graphics and thought the mini games and puzzles were different, and quit enjoyable.
Loved breaking the amber curse, and the way each section was set up, so you didn't have to go all of the way back, to pick up a needed item, well done and that alone, made the game more enjoyable.
I thought the H0 scenes were done very well, and liked the interaction with the different items.
I am also glad that the puzzles were not frustrating, the right amount of difficulty was perfect, for me, it made the game flow, very good.
SO had it been longer, I wouldn't of had any complaints .

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Aug 6, 11 10:55 AM
Beautiful graphics. Excellent game. Really enjoyed this one.

Go to: