Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Inn: Driftwood

[Post New]by satexasgirl on May 29, 11 9:23 AM
I did something I rarely do, checked out this thread while the game was downloading. I was pleasantly surprised. Others have done a thorough and excellent review of this game so I'll just comment. I played the full hour and as others have mentioned found it similar to the Little Shop, Yard Sale, and Gardenscapes games. There are others out there as well that have a similar premise. The only thing that really bothered me, was the manager, or whoever she was, looked so young, yet dressed like a granny. I don't know why that bugged me, but it did. I've got my free game coupon from the promotion? BF ran earlier in the month so I'll use it and comment further upon completing the game.

voiceofreason
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by voiceofreason on May 29, 11 9:26 AM
mcbay111 wrote: Thank you Goofy! Love your reviews and actually look for them to help me decide if I really want a game or not. The best thing of all is that
you are totally unbiased which is very refreshing. I know there are a lot of fishies in the pond that also appreciate your great reviews. Not that others aren't good because I read them all. Have a great memorial day everyone. I was born on that day and am turning the big 60!! LOL funny I do not feel any different. lol. Jacki

A Very Happy Birthday to you when it arrives. why not join shadowfax in the Chit Chat thread here in this Dream Inn forum, it is their birthday today
60 is the new 40, enjoy it! LOL!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 29, 11 10:00 AM
I also beta tested this game. Could not finish the test because I was going insane with boredom. Not my cup of tea as well. Too cute, too adorable for me. I also don't like endless scenes of HOGS. For those who just can't wait to locate thousands of well hidden items scene after scene, you will really enjoy this one.

This has been a really bad week, BF. A real stinkeroo for those of us who like HOGS with more puzzles than HOG scenes. PLEASE!!! Give us some more of the CE's without the CE price. I am giving this a grade, but don't take it personally. I grade these according to my personal preference. Grade: D- (I never like to give anyone an F, but I am certain somewhere there will be a game that will test my resolve)

TYVM

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on May 29, 11 10:00 AM
I had trouble with this one. The "Oops, you lost" music was distracting, but the most aggravating aspect was that I kept putting the items in the right places...and yet the game wouldn't accept the place as right until I spent a hint or two to tell me what I already knew. This happened repeatedly throughout the game.

Another problem was that I couldn't always identify what I was supposed to be looking for. "Lamp glass" was a problem; I couldn't figure out if the game wanted me to pick up the chimney of an oil lamp or a light bulb or what.

On one occasion, the item that I couldn't find was right on the left edge of the picture, to the point where it was not visible. I clicked in the circle indicated by the hint button and hoped for the best.

It was like that for the entire game--poor descriptions and poor placement. Toss in a stiff cursor (I ended up with a sore arm from fighting that thing) and...well, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

I've been playing some stellar games lately--Amber Maiden, Dream Chronicles: The Book of Water and Gravely Silent: House of Deadlock. I was hoping this one would be another Gardenscapes. I'm sorry to say that it's not.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on May 29, 11 10:20 AM
Seems like one of those love/hate games. I'm in the middle.

Agree with some of the annoying things mentioned, but still
found myself playing when demo ended and mostly enjoying.
So, with some Groupons still left, it was good enough at the
bargain price to give me a break from Gardenscapes.

As good as Gardenscapes, no; but different enough to give
me a change.

Edited on 05/29/2011 at 6:41:36 PM PST

birdie5
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by birdie5 on May 29, 11 10:25 AM
I love victorian homes so the idea of fixing one up is what grabbed me with this game. It is a simple HOG but very upbeat and nice go-to game after playing something more intense. Definite buy for me for $4.99.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 29, 11 10:26 AM
After reading the reviews here, I played the hour demo and enjoyed it. I did not have any tech issues with it. I'm sure I'd buy it as a daily deal. For the style of this game, it probably helps that I'm a 50-some year old woman - I enjoyed the music and the decor and all.

I'm not sure how much I'm willing to spend for this game or when - I'm currently still busy playing Dragon Keeper, and my game collection runneth over lol.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 29, 11 10:48 AM
well... didn't know how a person could get stuck in a game like this, but... i did

played for about 45mins and then got to a point where i didn't have enough stuff to put back in the rooms that were started, didn't have access to go looking for stuff in the rooms that were still locked, and didn't have anything left to sell to free up rental space... what? how does something like this happen??

but i did get the chance to dress up the inn a bit before i left

i tried the game with the custom cursor both on and off, and found that either way it dragged a little, so i'm guessing that some little thing somewhere in my computer's brain needs to be tweaked... i took the advice of a previous poster and turned off the tutorial to quiet down our little lady, and for the most part she was rather quiet... but that also meant that i had to figure out how to use the bonuses in each scene by myself which i finally did... the magnets were actually pretty cool once i figured them out and i have to say the cat was awesome!

overall, i kinda liked it, but not enough to overlook the flaws in mechanics or the fact that it is possible to hit a stalemate in the game... given that one glaring flaw - i'm passing on this one and wishing no one else my bad fortune

happy dreaming

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on May 29, 11 11:09 AM
This would make a good DD on a cold rainy day. It's a poor imitation of Garden Scapes. The coins are hard to find in some of the rooms. The Inn Keepers voice is extremely annoying. I just didn't enjoy playing this game and became bored with all the nonsense in about 30 minutes. It could be a better game, but the developers fell way short. Even at the discount price of $4.99, I didn't find the game to be worthy of the price.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on May 29, 11 11:53 AM
Well, I played the demo! I enjoyed it! I used one of my punch card coupons for it. The lady's voice did not sound whiney at all to me, LOL! Her voice sounded clear and pleasant. Granted, I skipped the tutorial and just arrowed through the bubble pop ups like AvgSpock suggested so I didn't hear her voice that office, but I didn't think she was THAT annoying, LOL! Everyone is going on and on about Gardenscapes and I hated garden scapes. I liked this game. It reminded me more of Antique Road Show, really!
Anyway! Happy Gaming and for those of you in the US...Happy Memorial Day!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 29, 11 12:30 PM
Well, I'm a hard core gamer and I do like the challenging games. However, I sometimes like to relax with the likes of this game. Yes, I have Gardenscapes and Dream Vacation, Dream Wedding, etc. I like them. I also have Antique Road games...I like those as well. I agree that this could easily have been better, e.g., the woman does need to look the age she dresses, the placing of items in the rooms does get a bit old, but I like "fixing" up things. Definite buy for me. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on May 29, 11 12:40 PM
Comments after finishing the game (sort of): For the most part I did not have any tech issues except: as I finished more rooms I noticed that I had issues with the cursor. I resolved by switching back to the system cursor (not as pretty, but less trouble). I played in relaxed mode. In the game you visit each room three times after completing you can play on further which I am doing. It took me not quite 3 hours to complete the main part of the game. All in all it's a fun little game.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 29, 11 1:14 PM
The first eleven reviews about this game were negative and I thought another "no buy" but then I read goofyduck's great review and, now, I'm not so sure. I think I will at least try it. When I played the video, I liked how cheery it looked and I love the cat. The only thing I didn't care at all for was the music. It was much too jazzy for me. Anyway, thanks goofyduck for a great review. I'm off to try the demo.

[Post New]by junebug49 on May 29, 11 2:00 PM
I downloaded the trial of Dream Inn-Driftwood but it was very slow. Scenes and stages open painfully slow and even though I was interested in playing the game, I had to give it up. Maybe tomorrow it will work better as the game of the day. Any tips would be appreciated!

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 29, 11 2:26 PM
Well, I played all but 9 minutes of the trial and I like it more than I thought I would. It's a really cheerful game and quite colorful, too. And even the music isn't all jazzy-some of it I really like, as it, too, is cheery and quite pleasant. This game certainly is a welcome change from all the really "dark and eerie" games we've been bombarded with lately. It's a buy for me, after all! and a half stars.

maziemom
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by maziemom on May 29, 11 3:15 PM
Itsupikachu wrote:Well, I played all but 9 minutes of the trial and I like it more than I thought I would. It's a really cheerful game and quite colorful, too. And even the music isn't all jazzy-some of it I really like, as it, too, is cheery and quite pleasant. This game certainly is a welcome change from all the really "dark and eerie" games we've been bombarded with lately. It's a buy for me, after all! and a half stars.

I played completely through the trial and then purchased the game before I hit the wall. You may want to wait until a fix is announced before buying it.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 29, 11 4:01 PM
I suppose this forum wasn't created to honour Gardenscapes but after all the good comments...I bought it ! No irritating Lady, just a fun butler and a dog !!

SeaDreams
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by SeaDreams on May 29, 11 4:09 PM
I really liked this game It is a nice combination of HOG scenes, and decorating the inn with 3 choices for each decor item, paint, roof, patio, flowers, etc. I love the decorating The scenes are bright and cheerful, great combination of different themed rooms! Some objects were easy to find and some were small or well hidden but had plenty of Hints and with the cat, magnets and firecrackers hidden in the scenes as "extra helpers", didn't use the hints very much. I would recomend this game if you want a nice HOG with a "few extras". Relaxed or timed mode.(I prefer relaxed) Thank You

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 29, 11 5:07 PM
Am I to late to make a comment ?.....".IT" sucked! Sorry , But someone needed to put more effort in to a game !!!! Surprise !!! Not the first " Won't be the last ..

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on May 29, 11 6:04 PM
I loved it. I loved Gardenscapes, too, and I've been waiting forever for a sequel. I assume this is it, because the similarities are very strong. Instead of a butler with a dog, you have a housekeeper with a cat. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same. You hunt for stuff and get paid for items, and then you get to fix up the exterior of the house and the yard. Also, the housekeeper will chat with you, and the storyline is nearly identical to the Gardenscapes one, with a few small changes. She's also kind of obsessive about fixing up the house, just like the butler was. There is something about this particular format than I love. It's like Antique Roadshow, only more fun, because the decorations are more interesting.

Some things I'd change: The cheesy click penalty that kicks in after you misclick. It just seems old-fashioned and intrusive. Leave me alone and let me play! Also, it was a bummer that I had already bought all of the upgrades before finishing the game. I guess they did that so that really terrible players would still be able to get all of the upgrades, but after I've purchased all the upgrades, I sort of feel like I should be done. I do wish it had been a touch longer. After waiting so long for this, I wanted it to last!

Overall, a very fun game. I think that anyone who enjoyed Gardenscapes should give it a try and see if they like it. I already can't wait to play the next one in Italy promised at the end of the game.

Edited on 05/29/2011 at 10:47:43 PM PST

Go to: