mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 23, 11 8:21 PM
Its an ERS game, its Venice (wonderful place). Good graphics, Lots of beautiful scenery and a great adventure. Love it.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 23, 11 10:20 PM
I'm Italian so I love anything related to Italy. I loved the storyline behind this game. It was interesting and I liked reading a little of the history. The costumes and scenery were fitting for the time period and the game as a whole was really beautiful, if a little dark, to look at. I thought the villian was pretty cool. A thank you to the developers for at least including a strategy guide for the first chapter although it would have been nice to see the number of chapters listed as well.

That said, maybe I am getting tired of the same type of games, but while I really enjoyed playing the demo, I can definitely wait for the SE version. According to the length that was posted in another thread, the game would only be about 4-5 hours for me. Not enough for the additional cost of a CE. I also thought the game was a little too easy...and I played on advanced mode. Overall a definite purchase for me, but only once it comes out as a SE.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 23, 11 11:10 PM
Graphics great. HOGs easy. Story pretty good. Some puzzles are very difficult. Overall, worth the money. I enjoyed and enjoyed the bonus game also. Thanks BF.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Jun 24, 11 12:16 AM
Was a good game. I miss the dark and eerie tho. It was more of a mystery to me, but all in all a really good game. Thanks ers and bfg.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Jun 24, 11 12:16 AM
Oh, wow. I'm going to have to buy this game--the collector's edition. The graphics are beautiful, the strategy guide is helpful, the story is great, the games are doable and the button doesn't take too long to refill. It's just perfect.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 24, 11 3:14 AM
This game easily makes my Top 10 List. I loved EVERYTHING about it. This is how a CE should be.

Not baffling to the point where you are skipping just about ALL the puzzles, but not so simple that it's a little insulting. SG was excellent and necessary so I didn't mind paying CE price.

Very enjoyable. A lot of devs out there could use some lessons from these guys.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 24, 11 3:56 AM
Slight Spoiler Alert

Bravo ! for yet another GREAT game! Have been looking for this one, and am glad it is now here.

I played the demo (and am going to buy this game right after my review), and unlike some other gamers, I have had no problems with the game.
The download and installation of the game took 3 minutes, and neither the cursor nor the scene changes or anything else is lagging behind.

I never had any problems whatsoever with any of the other ERS games (absolutely adore them), and so far, haven´t had any problems with this one either.

Great graphics again, great gameplay, and love having to find gold pieces to be able to buy stuff (love it, love it, love it), and having to find fans for extra hints. Makes the game more interesting.

What else can I say, except that I just adore ERS. *runs off to purchase the game*

NikkiBikki
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by NikkiBikki on Jun 24, 11 4:57 AM
campfire29 wrote:I absoulutly love the game so far ( graphics, storyline ect.) but they could have used a much better Italian accent, the actual Italian spoken is pretty lousy too LOL

I was thinking exactly the same thing, the mother's italian accent sounded more like a Russian accent was terrible then the other charaters had mostly American accents, very weird! If they are going to do voice overs at least get someone who is Italian to do the voices so they sound authentic!

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Jun 24, 11 5:01 AM
So far looks like a nice game, but not challenging enough, even in the harder mode. Not a lot of ambience (there is a lot of quiet in this game). Will definitely buy it once it comes out in SE. Also, runs a little slow on my computer and I never have problems like that.

shark46
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by shark46 on Jun 24, 11 8:18 AM
Love ers games but this venice one not as good as usual i found to many hog scenes close together not as much adventure element but thats only my opinion i enjoyed the last ce game better than this one

tishythree
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by tishythree on Jun 24, 11 8:27 AM
lovely game very compulsive and absorbing would love to buy it but theres no point in mje getting any more punchcard credits as there is never any ordinary hog games to spend them on

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Jun 24, 11 9:51 AM
I ended up getting the game because I had 2 game credits sitting around. It's a nice game, but it's VERY, VERY short!!! They could have done so much more with the overall premise and concept. I had hoped that you were really going to see more of Venice, but there are only really a handful of major locations and several minor ones. It was good, but it shouldn't have been a Collector's Edition. I wouldn't have paid $13.99 if I didn't already have the credits. Overall, it felt more like an appetizer instead of the main course. I would actually recommend "Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden" over this one. Although, that one is short, also.

Playing Time Main Game (easy mode):
3 1/2 hours - no hints, no skips, but I did use the strategy guide.

Bonus Section:
45 minutes -1 hint plus strategy guide

TOTAL TIME:
4 hours 15 minutes

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Jun 24, 11 10:38 AM
I had made a promise to myself that I will not buy anymore CE's. I knew once I saw that yesterdays CE was a ERS game that it would be hard to keep that promise. I simply ADORE ERS....

I bought the game... So my new promise is not to buy anymore CE's unless it's an ERS game lol.

Anyway, my short review. The game is what you would expect from a ERS game. Great graphics, great music, great gameplay. While not as good as some of the others, I am still enjoying every moment of it

The hint and skip buttons refill quickly, and the strategy guide is detailed and nicely laid out. I didnt see that misclick pentalty yet, so thats a good thing! Objects are not too hard and not too easy, which is perfect for me.

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Jun 24, 11 10:54 AM
I liked this game even in the trial. I am debating on whether to purchase it or not. but today I saw that I had 60 min. left and opened it to play and got message that game file was corrupted. had to start. then game finished at candle in lamp. bed bugs loose again on BFG.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Jun 24, 11 12:01 PM

Five thumbs up! A very good adventure game indeed!

I really like that when you are done with an area you are done with it. There's still some walking around but within a prescribed area rather than all over the place. The game doesn't tell you when you're done with an area but it's pretty obvious. The H0 scenes are fair, nothing looks like something else or is hidden tone on tone. And no boomerangs! The puzzles are solvable: I only skipped once and that was because I was bored with it rather than because I couldn't figure it out.

The bonus gameplay is fun too, and of a decent length.

Highly recommended.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 24, 11 12:22 PM
Just finished the game, and I am very happy with it!

I have only one question: Why does the daughter not speak with an Italian accent? I was rather surprised when I heard her speak.

Can`t WAIT for the next ERS game to come to BF (Redemption Cemetery: Forgotten Ancestry). Which reminds me... I think it`s time to replay "Redemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven".

Oh, and I noticed that the full game played a little heavily, if I can use that word. Several peeps have complaint about the game lagging, and I have noticed that, although there was no lag as such with me, the full game did have the feel as if you needed to give it a little push each time you changed the scene - if you know what I mean.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Jun 24, 11 12:45 PM
This was a fairly typical ERS release. Beautiful graphics, highly predictable story and easy game play (on advanced mode) and fairly short playing time with a very short bonus. The wallpapers were locked until completion of the game, then did not work, which has happened before with ERS games. Widescreen adjustment is not offered, as is typical from these developers - I hate that. The music was somewhat annoying on this game and the area to explore seemed more constrained than previous games. Also, there were several hidden object scenes that seemed to be drawn by a different artist - very odd.

Overall, the game was still enjoyable, but mainly a disappointment - although I should have expected as much from ERS lately. The formula is getting old as far as I am concerned - I really need to stop buying the CE version of ERS games. It is so not worth it, compared to almost every other CE release. They do make a beautiful game from a visual standpoint, but that just doesn't measure up enough against the developers who are doing it all, in terms of beautiful graphics and complexity of game play. I do enjoy their games when I want a very relaxing and predictable game, but the features for the CE editions really need to start showing some improvement.

jazzl2010
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by jazzl2010 on Jun 24, 11 2:30 PM
LOVED this game..graphics were great..voice overs...and in general the game play
flowed so that you could figure out yourself what to do next.instead of sending you
all over the place confused...loved the music also...wish there were more games like this..good developer..there have been a few like this I loved that I purchased here..but looking forward to this developers next game

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jun 24, 11 3:28 PM
Well, this 'game' has already been deleted from my GM. I have never said anything bad about ERS before, but this time I feel totally and utterly 'ripped off'! The slowness between scenes I could put up with, the 'sticky' cursor I could overlook, but the thing that has 'done it for me' this time is the length of the game overall, and especially the length of the Bonus gameplay. I don't want to spoil it for anyone reading this column, but it is 'very limited' to just a few 'new' scenes, and mainly H0G junkpiles.

They have been teetering on the brink of poor quality for the last games they brought out, and I could forgive them the occasional slip up, but this game is just not up to their usual brilliant standard. I have loved (and purchased) every CE of everything they have produced in their 'Dark and Eerie' genre, but this isn't one of them, and to say I am disappointed is an understatement.

What's that old saying Buyer Beware! Well it's certainly true in this instance

Kel

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jun 24, 11 4:52 PM
Excellent!! Enjoyed all aspects of the game. Art work was superb. The development team produced a winner.

This game is more than doable without a Strategy Guide. As with most HOG's attention to detail is a must.

It is a game that provides hours of entertainment.

I truly enjoyed and if you choose to play I hope you do as well.

Go to: