bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

Re:Comments and other Chaos for Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collectors Edition

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jun 23, 11 6:36 AM
Kelvarda wrote:
bella81762 wrote:devs,,,when will you listen, if you want me to buy the ce, then let me demo the ce, anything unlocked at purchase(STRATAGY GUIDE) needs to be unlocked in the demo.....i will not buy, cause i cant estimate length

I don't know bella - but it could be to do with copyright! You onl get the full SG when you purchase the full game (maybe). If any fishie knows would be interesting...

My gripe is the over-click penalty! My mouse is playing up, and is 'over-clicking' without me doing anything. I got sick of my cursor exploding during the H0 scenes in the demo!

Kel

nah, cause some games they are unlocked, just not most ers,,,..i agree about overclick...maybe i like clicking like a madwoman

TigerJo714
Stingray
Stingray
5,122 Posts

Re:Comments and other Chaos for Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collectors Edition

[Post New]by TigerJo714 on Jun 23, 11 6:52 AM
At the risk of being used as bait, my DL went quite fast - both demo and full version.

ERS = auto buy for me. I think I demo'd like 6 min LOL then hit Buy now.

Lucky I had some credits saved up. No idea when a decent SE will appear (what to do with all those Groupons I bought LOL), and I really needed a new game - wasn't thrilled with last week's CE.

Happy gaming fishies.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jun 23, 11 7:28 AM
Morning y'all

I love ERS games and have always been at the very least, satisfied with what they put out. I liked the game, don't get me wrong, but I'm not thrilled with it, especially for a CE price. I'll leave a more detailed review on the review page. I didn't have any problems downloading the game, and it only took a few minutes. I've always had a cable modem and downloads seem to be generally faster. It used to be back when I got my first last top as much as I loved Big Fish, I hated downloading games because it ran the slowest. Now it runs pretty fast-as I'm no tech guru (unless you compare me to my father ) so who knows why computers decide to do what they do. My personal theory is there are little computer gremlins that feed off of our frustration whenever there's a slow download, a virus, or general weirdness. Lol.

@ Bella As far as this game goes I think we only get one chapter of the SG because that's all we play. I could be wrong though, it's just a guess.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 23, 11 7:54 AM
LizzieK wrote:Length of game:

Grim Façade Mystery of Venice – CE

The Strategy Guide has 50 pages. Here is how they break down.

Chapter 1: The Redemption Society – 7 pages
Chapter 2: Bartolomeo's Mansion – 12 pages
Chapter 3: Gaspar's Residence – 13 pages
Chapter 4: The Ship – 3 pages
Chapter 5: The Theater – 7 pages
Bonus Chapter – 8 pages

This info is in the text folder in the game program. Many times even if the game demo is shorter than the whole game and does not include much of the game play, they will include the "other stuff" in the game demo program. You can download the demo and see how many chapters there are by looking into the game program folder.

Yikes! Is it just me, or does this seem REALLY short for a strategy guide???? 3 pages for chapter 4? Really?

I posted in the review thread that I am leery of ERS games lately...I used to be a huge 'they can do no wrong' fan until the last three or so games they produced when I realized...(wait for it)...that I was getting...BORED!! The last several have been so-so in terms of game-play, I constantly have that feeling of "Haven't I played this before or seen this in one of their other games?" AND they seem to have gotten easier and shorter. I know they possess some creative talent on their development team...their first few games were exceptional! But I haven't been happy with the last several sooo...I will wait to demo as well as to hear what others have to say once they've played through for a few hours before making up my mind on whether or not they, perhaps, have gone back to some of their previous excellence.

But for now...

Cheers!

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 23, 11 8:00 AM
praireraven wrote:Why do i have that red x and no one else does, or do i want to know
hummm

LOLOLOL. This cracked me up!!! When I first started posting I did the same thing! I had to PM one of the 'bigger fishies" and ask because I thought it meant the MODS had me on their 'bad fish' list.

I have lived with that little secret for a couple years now. I am so glad to hear that it wasn't just me having a brain-dead moment and that it really IS confusing at first when one sees that!

Prairieraven-you made my day. You are on my official list.

praireraven
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,707 Posts

[Post New]by praireraven on Jun 23, 11 8:30 AM
@mycatluna: i was beginning to get paranoid, I though that I
was beginning to smell like 3 day old fish. a warning to all others fishies
OH NO!! here a post from ole stinky

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jun 23, 11 8:57 AM
Well...just a few comments before I go to play!

TigerJo said
At the risk of being used as bait, my DL went quite fast - both demo and full version

Tig I'll use you as bait!! three and a quarter hours for the full download!!

prarieraven said
Why do i have that red x and no one else does, or do i want to know
hummm

Had to laugh at this one as well! sorry prairie Did you think you had the plague!!
All we can do to someone else's post is press the ! to report it as offensive.

dootney said (in the review thread)
I havent run into a click penalty

Hey dootney Do you want to swap mice!! I got sick of it!

So I am now going to attach my wireless mouse to my notebook, and go and play this game again, from the start, with no overclicks!!

Have fun all and I'll BBL

Kel

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Jun 23, 11 9:17 AM
Excellent game so far - no download issues (took ~ 3mins but I have a very fast Win7 computer (I'm not bragging, just thankful!)). ERS games usually have beautiful artwork and this game is no exception. The storyline is intriguing and so far the game seems worth the money. I'm playing in expert mode and I haven't used the strategy guide yet but I'm not that far into the game. I wish the custom cursors didn't spin, flash, wiggle, but I like everything else about the game so far. A definite buy for me.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 23, 11 9:24 AM
praireraven wrote:@mycatluna: i was beginning to get paranoid, I though that I
was beginning to smell like 3 day old fish. a warning to all others fishies
OH NO!! here a post from ole stinky

Lol. I think you just nicknamed yourself. Too funny.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 23, 11 9:32 AM
emmyjayne wrote:Excellent game so far - no download issues (took ~ 3mins but I have a very fast Win7 computer (I'm not bragging, just thankful!)). ERS games usually have beautiful artwork and this game is no exception. The storyline is intriguing and so far the game seems worth the money. I'm playing in expert mode and I haven't used the strategy guide yet but I'm not that far into the game. I wish the custom cursors didn't spin, flash, wiggle, but I like everything else about the game so far. A definite buy for me.

I have Vista and don't like it that much. How is Windows 7 in comparison? If you get a chance, can you PM me and let me know? Or anyone else that runs Windows 7? Almost time for a new PC...

CplDave
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by CplDave on Jun 23, 11 9:44 AM
mycatluna, I have to agree with you on the ERS games. They've become formulaic and the story is rather lacking in imagination. Here's a few things I've noticed lately about these games:

1, There were a few different mini-games and I give them credit for that. However, for too many of them there was little or no challenge to finding the solution. In fact I thought some actually insulted my intelligence. More than once I thought, "Is that all there is to it?". There was one game that a kindergartener could do, all you needed to do was match the colors. What a waste of time.

2. These games always start out heavy on the adventure and light on the hidden object which usually means the demo looks like a really interesting adventure game. About half to 2/3 of the way through the game it always reverses noticably. By then all or most of the inventory is gone, and gameplay generally turns into "hidden object scene, get an item, use the item (you already know where it goes), repeat when you find next sparkles".

I'm not sure if this is an intentional part of the formula. More likely, they simply ran out of ideas for inventory items that could be relevent to the story. Either the game was too short if they went directly to the final scene or the ending too abrupt. So they load up the back end with more hidden object scenes to lengthen it.

3. I really dislike the way they use the hidden object scenes to control the flow of the game. Since they decide which object you get when you complete it, they are also dictating which puzzle you are allowed to complete or where you are allowed to go at that time.

Sometimes the hidden object scenes are triggered by clicking on something in the game, which accomplishes the same thing in reverse. This makes the gameplay even worse because the whole game becomes nothing more than a scavenger hunt for the the next hidden object scene. Too often I feel like the game is playing me rather than the other way around.

Just my humble opinion.

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 9:59:16 AM PST

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Jun 23, 11 10:17 AM
Hi Kel, Im still using PS2 mouse hooked into back of computer. Besides Im old and slow. You probably have finished the whole hidden object scene while im on probably item number 2, In between sips of coffee, puff on a cigarette,slice of pie, etc. LOL. Have a good day Kel. Give that mouse of yours a couple of slaps on the back. I am really enjoying this game.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jun 23, 11 10:41 AM
i was not enchanted,nor enthousiastic,nor anything
good and solid hidden objects game without genius,fair and pleasant no more!perhaps ERS had made enough games this year and they are a little stucked with ideas and inspiration!not the best from them ,but the next(in beta) seems to reach the level of excellence we are expecting from ERS
i found the game easy,and too much linear,but it is worth trying ; i think i would not have bought as CE,as SE is enough
i would give this game 3 1/2 stars(it is not bad!)try it and make your mind!

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 23, 11 11:29 AM
CplDave wrote:mycatluna, I have to agree with you on the ERS games. They've become formulaic and the story is rather lacking in imagination. Here's a few things I've noticed lately about these games:

1, There were a few different mini-games and I give them credit for that. However, for too many of them there was little or no challenge to finding the solution. In fact I thought some actually insulted my intelligence. More than once I thought, "Is that all there is to it?". There was one game that a kindergartener could do, all you needed to do was match the colors. What a waste of time.

2. These games always start out heavy on the adventure and light on the hidden object which usually means the demo looks like a really interesting adventure game. About half to 2/3 of the way through the game it always reverses noticably. By then all or most of the inventory is gone, and gameplay generally turns into "hidden object scene, get an item, use the item (you already know where it goes), repeat when you find next sparkles".

I'm not sure if this is an intentional part of the formula. More likely, they simply ran out of ideas for inventory items that could be relevent to the story. Either the game was too short if they went directly to the final scene or the ending too abrupt. So they load up the back end with more hidden object scenes to lengthen it.

3. I really dislike the way they use the hidden object scenes to control the flow of the game. Since they decide which object you get when you complete it, they are also dictating which puzzle you are allowed to complete or where you are allowed to go at that time.

Sometimes the hidden object scenes are triggered by clicking on something in the game, which accomplishes the same thing in reverse. This makes the gameplay even worse because the whole game becomes nothing more than a scavenger hunt for the the next hidden object scene. Too often I feel like the game is playing me rather than the other way around.

Just my humble opinion.

Hit the nail on the head. WELL SAID.

P.S. If you haven't already it is my suggestion that you re-post this in the Reviews section as well so the developers are sure to get a look at it. You stated it brilliantly.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 23, 11 11:31 AM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:
mycatluna wrote:
emmyjayne wrote:Excellent game so far - no download issues (took ~ 3mins but I have a very fast Win7 computer (I'm not bragging, just thankful!)). ERS games usually have beautiful artwork and this game is no exception. The storyline is intriguing and so far the game seems worth the money. I'm playing in expert mode and I haven't used the strategy guide yet but I'm not that far into the game. I wish the custom cursors didn't spin, flash, wiggle, but I like everything else about the game so far. A definite buy for me.

I have Vista and don't like it that much. How is Windows 7 in comparison? If you get a chance, can you PM me and let me know? Or anyone else that runs Windows 7? Almost time for a new PC...

Let's put it this way: if Vista and Windows 7 were cars, 7 would be a Lincoln. Vista would be a 1972 Pinto in primer grey with two doors missing and a self-immolating gas tank.

Seriously, Windows 7 has some issues, too (what version of Windows hasn't?), but nowhere near as odd as Vista. Really, Vista should have been shot as the lame horse it was right at the starting gate.

That absolutely answered my question. Thanks! LOL.

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Jun 23, 11 11:42 AM
@DarkDisciple: I love your Win/Vista analogies, LOL!!!!!

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Jun 23, 11 11:46 AM
ERS does good HOGs, but they consistantly run sllllloooooooooowwwwww on my computer so I must not have enough juice to run it properly. So, on one hand I really enjoy their games, on the other I find myself wanting to scream "GET ON WITH IT!!" at the screen.
Still I liked the storyline enough that I may buy this as a SE when it comes out later on.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jun 23, 11 11:52 AM
dootney wrote:Hi Kel, Im still using PS2 mouse hooked into back of computer. Besides Im old and slow. You probably have finished the whole hidden object scene while im on probably item number 2, In between sips of coffee, puff on a cigarette,slice of pie, etc. LOL. Have a good day Kel. Give that mouse of yours a couple of slaps on the back. I am really enjoying this game.

dootney - Bless ya and love ya! We could be twins!! I'm enjoying it as well. Been playing since I posted and only just started Ch 2. LOL. Mine was a fresh cream merangue!

Just stopped now for me Korma n Naan bread!

Kel

juttertje
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by juttertje on Jun 23, 11 12:05 PM
as always, ERS games are an absolute buy for me. great game, beautiful graphics, good storyline.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jun 23, 11 12:17 PM
emmyjayne wrote:Excellent game so far - no download issues (took ~ 3mins but I have a very fast Win7 computer (I'm not bragging, just thankful!)).

I also have a very fast Win7 computer! I just DON'T have very wizzy wizzy BB or fast Fibre optic cables. The building I live in was built in the 60's and the telephone cabling coming into it it from the same era! I also live a few miles from the local exchange. All this affect's my Broadband not how fast my PC is. My ISP has even told me 'You are not in our Technological sights for upgrade at the moment, because you live in a Rural Area!!'

My G-D, were are only just one step up from Dial up!!!

There - now I've got that off my chest - Night all

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 12:21:03 PM PST

Go to: