Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

Re:Review for Midnight Mysteries 3: Devil on the Mississippi

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 4, 11 7:15 PM
I've tried the demo, it was okay but the story isn't strong as "Salem Witch Trials." It didn't really grasps my attention that much. Graphics quality similar to the "Salem Witch Trials." Music/sounds are okay.

I'm not going to purchase this. For those who did - Happy Gaming!

Loren55
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Loren55 on Jul 5, 11 12:15 PM
WARNING! CONTAINS SPOILER!

I just downloaded this and played it last week (been stuck on a rock waving my tentacles so couldn't get here right away). The minute I saw it was by Mumbo Jumbo, I knew it would be a good game. All the scenes took part at night (so far as I rememer) and the graphics were a bit fuzzy , but there was more animation than in most games, which I did appreciate. The characters were appropriately aggravating or helpful, and the story behind the game was fascinating for those of us interested in the controversy regarding Shakespeare's authorship of his works.The hidden object scenes were few and far between which in this case I did appreciate; there wasn't an incredible amount of running back and forth, but considerable thought was needed to get through the game without help. I enjoyed the music as well.

The only part that I didn't like was the faces of Twain's children. Their expressions ranged from bored to down right creepy. These were kids, and their only roll was to whine if you didn't have a tea party with them? Otherwise, outstanding. The game took me ten hours to get through (I was very tired and played in three blocks of time), so I consider it well worth the $6.99 I paid for it.

Now I'm just saving up my credits so I can by the next CE from Mystery Case Files!

bachlein
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by bachlein on Jul 6, 11 2:16 PM
I liked this game mostly because it took me longer than just a couple of hours to play. I managed to spread it out over a couple of days. I didn't pay much attention to the story...it got very convoluted. The mini puzzles were fun and some even a challenge...especially the building walls, etc. It was a GOOD GAME! I paid the 6.99 and felt I got my $$ worth.

[Post New]by 4pawwhite2 on Jul 7, 11 8:03 PM
I,m sorry, but I bought this game after reading great reviews,I find this game confusing and disconected.The ghosts popping up every minute really slows the game,I've played for quite a while and I still don't know what I'm doing.I don't think I'll bother to finish it.

[Post New]by catfromaus on Jul 8, 11 12:35 AM
okay game. I guess after salem witch trials, my expectations were high. It is nowhere near as good as the last game.
The story is pretty boring, and some of the minigames I found really tedious (and the skip button seemed to take forever to refresh!)
But the graphics are fantastic. I enjoyed the Hidden Object scenes. Glad I bought it.

Edited on 07/08/2011 at 12:36:12 AM PST

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Jul 9, 11 9:01 AM
GREAT GAME !!! I thinkit was better than" Salem" although the story was a bit convoluted.. Graphics superb... mini games not too difficult but interesting loved the battleships !!!
I was so involved in gameplay that I forgot to keep looking for clovers so did not get 70 !!!
I have never replayed any game but I am tempted to play this again to collect all the clovers !!!
Yes I can recommend this one

VelvetRose55
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by VelvetRose55 on Jul 9, 11 9:57 AM
Just finished this game. Loved it. Lots of fun. I love spooky games and games with supernatural elements so I went for this one. I'm glad I did.

I love the bonus games at the end. And unlike some games, in this one you can go back and look at the scenes again. In fact, you are encouraged to. If you didn't find all the crows or clovers you can go back and find them.

I haven't played the other Midnight Mysteries games but I wil go back and have a look.

JCesme43
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by JCesme43 on Jul 10, 11 8:35 AM
I like this series a lot! The graphics/special effects are beautiful & the puzzles aren't too hard for me, although I did have to cheat on one of them. I LOVE when they throw little side goodies in that aren't essential to the game but are fun to look for, like the clover & the birds. I feel like I'm getting a little bonus. And I love the achievements...something to stive for, like not using any hints, etc. I didn't find all the clover, so will have a new goal which gives me incentive to play again. There was a ton of "travelling", which is what I buy these games for, & enough hidden object scenes, but not too many. I have all 3 of the games in this series & can't wait for the next. Also, enjoy the stories, as well.
This one gets a 5 star rating from me. :-)

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Jul 11, 11 10:29 AM
..............I played the first 2 Midnight Mysteries, and this one was good too. Great graphics and good cut scenes of demons flying at you.. ...ha! My only gripe was figuring out what they wanted me to do in some of the games......there is a brief blurb, but then it goes away and you can't see it again. LOVED PLAYING POOL [more like this please.. ], and keeping up with a confusing and convoluted story line [that after awhile I just ignored.. ].............also not enough HOG scenes for my taste. I do, however, like how MumboJumbo puts "achievement" awards [think I got 5] in their games [makes them re-playable]........unfortunately I only found 67 's so I didn't unlock the extra play. I would give this one ......... ..... .......happy gaming e1

iamlindy
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by iamlindy on Jul 14, 11 2:52 PM
Almost passed up on this game but decided that I had a coupon so got it. I am really glad I did. One of the better games I have played. Great lenght, good puzzles, many that were new to me. I didn't get all the clovers. I forgot to keep looking sometimes as I got wrapped up in game play. Really lots of fun for a rainy summer day and no gardening to do

[Post New]by Fireball_12 on Jul 20, 11 7:24 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but this game had a bug in it. I was not able to play the game. I'm greatful I didnt purchase it. I have actually had some problems with a few of the games on here just recently. I hope it's not my computer. Has anyone else been experiencing any problems?

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Jul 29, 11 8:55 PM
Good game. For those who like games dark and scary, this is definitely one to buy. The developers of this series actually seem to be familiar with the authors that the games are about. (I recently played a game with Notre Dame in the title and wondered whether the developers had ever been inside a Catholic church, much less Notre Dame.) I loved the Twain quotes spoken by the steamboat passengers, for example.

Plenty of places to go, inventory items to use, and hidden object scenes. However, there were a lot of transition scenes where all you did was get a clover and raven and maybe pick up one thing. While this added to the atmosphere, it seems like it was a lot of development dollars (or whatever currency) for very little game play. Although it added to the atmosphere, you could have eliminated half the scenes without affecting game play. If this trend in game design continues, we are going to have to start paying a lot more for games.

I was very disappointed with the unlimited mode, since it only had about eight scenes and there were items found at those locations during story mode that weren't asked for in unlimited mode. I guess the Spintop series with unlimited mode has me spoiled. On the plus side, the unlimited mode has some scenes from the collector's edition.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Jul 31, 11 9:24 PM
I think I am in the minority, but I actually liked this game better than Salem Witch Trials. The story was more interesting to me and it made more sense. I was a bit confused about the motives and connections between some characters in Salem Witch Trials, and I found the story in Devil On The Mississippi to be less confusing. I also enjoyed the game play more. I found myself a bit bored during some parts of Salem Witch Trials, but didn't really get bored during this game. My only gripe with this game is the fact that the skip button on the puzzles takes forever to load. Some of the puzzles didn't interest me and I wanted to skip them, but ended up having to play them anyways, since it was either do that, or sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting for the skip button to load. It seemed like it took at least 10 minutes to load, and since I am not a very patient person, that is too long of a wait for me. I prefer when it loads within a few minutes, and wish it had loaded that fast. Other than that, I found the game play to be very enjoyable, and there were some puzzles that I did like and chose not to skip. I also liked the fact that the game was more adventure based than hidden object based. I know other people here might not like that, but I do not like doing H0 scenes back to back, I like them spread out and mixed in with the puzzles and the adventure, and I thought this game did that very well.

The game is very aesthetically pleasing, I think it's nicer looking and more life like than Salem Witch Trials was. I also thought it was scarier (beware of this game if you do not like things having to do with evil and the devil in games you play, the title of it should be taken literally), and I found the length to be very good. I was able to stretch the game play over a few days, playing a couple of hours each day. I am a slower player, so it might not be as long of a game for faster players. I would guess it took me around 6 hours to play, and for faster players it could take around 4 or 5 hours, or maybe even less depending on your speed.

I was also excited about the fact that I found all of the clovers the first time I played this game, since I wasn't able to find them all in Salem Witch Trials the first time I played that. The clovers are just one of the many achievements that gives this game re-playability, so if you like to re-play games to complete new achievements, you will like that. Overall, it was a very enjoyable game which I would recommend.

Edited on 07/31/2011 at 9:29:10 PM PST

KATE60
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by KATE60 on Aug 2, 11 2:59 AM
I really liked this game mostly for the game value not as much for the storyline. It did get a bit confusing but i loved the games and the puzzles. Worth a credit in my book.

Duetgirl
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by Duetgirl on Aug 12, 11 6:38 PM
Absolutely fantastic game! Kept me literally glued to the computer-- I had no idea that I spent so much time straight on! Story was intriguing, HOGs were great, puzzles fabulous, and I really liked having to look for the clovers and ravens. The first time I didn't get enough clovers for the bonus round, so turned right around and played the game again! (The bonus round was great too!) So glad I bought it! This is one that I'll probably play quite a few times! Also enjoyed a lot of the historical aspects-- there were quite a few that were surprises to me!

fauxgina
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fauxgina on Aug 21, 11 2:03 AM
I feel a bit mixed about this game. I'm glad I've bought it -- sometimes I buy something and play it and feel cheated that I spent my hard-earned money on it. I certainly don't feel that way about this game. It's more the story element that has left me wondering what the game itself was trying to do.

In the previous Midnight Mysteries game, "Salem Witch Trials," the developers did an excellent job of weaving together a story that combined Nathaniel Hawthorne's guilt about the history of his family (i.e., Judge Hathorne) with his literature to create an interesting amalgom of truth and fiction. "Devil on the Mississippi" does not do this very well, I don't think -- not in relation to "Salem Witch Trials" -- and I think that's what disappoints me most about the game. I wanted to see far more of Twain's literature in the game. Sure, there were nods to "Tom Sawyer" (and perhaps a couple other works with which I'm not as familiar), but the game also missed out on Twain's razor-sharp wit and humor. They tried to incorporate it a bit (in the opening scene with "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated," and again on the stairs in Samuel Clemens' home about someone's money being tainted -- "t'aint mine and it t'aint yours"), but I think they largely failed.

This game seemed to be far more about Shakespeare, Marlowe, and the demon Mephistopholes than Twain. I can sort of see the connections they were trying to make, but I don't feel they did Twain justice in this game like they did Hawthorne in "Salem Witch Trials." I think the developers tried to do far too much in this game and lost sight of what it is advertised to be about: Mark Twain.

As far as other aspects of the game, I can't really fault the it (nor do I want to). Graphics are great, music and sound effects are good and there are very few that are annoying (the electric zapping in Tesla's lab really got on my nerves though), I love the combination of hidden object and adventure, etc, and the puzzles were good. The story element just really let the game down, in my opinion.

I hope they return to more like "Salem Witch Trials" in the future -- creating games about great American authors that take a bit of license and create a story that plays with what the public knows of them, what they public doesn't know of them, and how it all ties together in their works. Maybe the next author could be Herman Melville. Think of all they could do with "MobyDick" and "Bartleby the Scrivener"!

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 2:05:34 AM PST

retroFish
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by retroFish on Aug 30, 11 1:09 AM

Edited on 05/08/2013 at 3:45:20 AM PST

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Sep 17, 11 7:46 AM
I purchased this during the CE sale, and just finished it. I found this game very disappointing compared to Salem which I loved.

Some parts felt unfinished - for example there are interact-able elements with no message to indicate what you might want to do there.

I found 69/70 clovers by the end but could not revisit the game to look for the last one.

I clicked on the raven (hints) so many times by accident.

Adventure progression is very linear. You can't go back and forth the way you could in Salem.

No map. The "goals" tab was very vague and didn't update right after completing an objective.

Puzzles were inadequately explained.

This series of games is still superior to many HOGs out there. I enjoyed the game in spite of the above, and my criticisms are based on the fact I enjoyed the preceding chapter more than this one.

[Post New]by MoonChild02 on Oct 5, 11 10:23 PM
I loved the first two installments of this series, so when I saw that a third had come out, I was excited. However, much to my disappointment, after downloading the game and running it, I saw a major flaw in it.

The game does not load.

I have run it from the game manager and from the executable file itself, and it shows up in the Task Manager, but the game window never comes up at all. I have tried running the program in compatibility mode, running it in 256 colors, running it in 640x480 resolution, disabling visual themes, restarting the computer, running it in windowed mode with DXWnd, and all combinations thereof. Nothing works.

If the game is fixed, then I will change my review, but my grade for this game right now is F, because it does not even work.

[Post New]by violinist1981 on Nov 11, 11 10:42 PM
I thought that this game was really entertaining, and the puzzles were different then other hidden object games that I have played. I really enjoyed the storyline of Mark Twain, and the tie in that they had questioning the identity of Shakespere. I have enjoyed the other two previous Midnight Mysteries games, and think that the games keep getting better. I would definitely play a 4th one if the make another game.

Go to: