Zooey2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

Re:Review for Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Zooey2 on Jul 1, 11 1:27 PM
It's likely that you didn't need the screwdriver and screws because you hadn't yet picked up the 2 pieces of the saw (in the same scene) that needed screwing together.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jul 1, 11 2:07 PM
Delightful. Enjoyed immensely. This game is kid friendly. Hint system is useful enough that the Strategy Guide I found not needed. Areas where the kid gets lost a little help from parent is useful and that is not a bad thing.

awvines
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by awvines on Jul 1, 11 5:13 PM
Enchanting! I loved the integration of the story into the game. Rarely am I intrigued by a story, but this one drew me in. Of course it's full of the usual silliness of these types of games, I need to cut something and have a cutting tool but it's the wrong one! Enjoyed the mini-games withing HOG scenes, and for once really liked the music and sounds. Every time I was at the Witch Doctor's tree I rang the chimes just to hear them!

No the game isn't monumentally difficult, but on the other hand it's nice to be challenged just enough but able to complete the tasks without a lot of hand holding. I did discover that the extra content was unlocked for me despite lacking a few origamis!

An enjoyable, relaxing game for all ages. Thanks, BFG!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 1, 11 8:49 PM
layzeedaisy wrote:
Annoyed that I found a screwdriver and screws but not allowed to collect them as "you don't need them at this time". Means I have to trek all the way back there eventually.

actually, no, the item that you need to use it on is right there!

given the lack of extras worth grabbing - unless you're in the pot for the built-in SG - i'm going to wait for the SE on this one...

there was plenty of eye candy in the various scenes, very reminiscent of drawn as other players have noted, and i will agree that it is very story-driven and light on challenge... i would say that it is virtually the daydream of the HOPAs as it is something you can breeze through without worrying your little grey cells too much or too much hair-pulling...

i'm going to go out on a limb [as i have yet to read many other reviews] and say that the game is probably a lengthy one... if we were to judge by the drawings, there should be several locations to visit, including hot and cold places - as confirmed by the warm coat we collect - and several friends to rescue... but that length is what i think will make this a great game at regular price, but only OK at the doubled, CE price...

to those diving in - congrats and enjoy! to the rest of you - sweet dreams!

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

pretty good, could be longer, Extra game play better than game

[Post New]by eedebeep on Jul 2, 11 11:24 AM
Good- hidden object scenes, the artwork plot, oragami, some puzzles. Love the little lizard!

Bad- plot makes little sense the way they try to tie everything together, need harder puzzles and more hidden object scenes. Too bad it also had to be so tragic instead of scary.

The developers really should have take the "extras" plot and used that for the main game. Would make more sense for "nightmare realm".

NOTE- due to the plot I totally disagree that this is kid friendly. Too sad.

B+, raised it slightly due to that cute little lizard!

Edited on 07/02/2011 at 11:26:19 AM PST

anyone know if the demo is chapter 1?

[Post New]by robinbobbin on Jul 2, 11 12:37 PM
I liked this game. Unlike some other reviewers, I was VERY glad to see no voiceovers. Voiceovers are pointless - they take far longer than reading the same words; plus they have to pay someone to record them. Spend the money on the gameplay.

I usually skip all cutscenes, but found myself drawn into these; the graphics were lovely, and the story interesting. They left a lot to the imagination rather than force a lot of background into it, which made me more interested.

The gameplay was interesting and the puzzles were challenging without being overwhelming. I really liked the interactive portions of the hidden object scenes; they were clever and inventive.

Someone said there are eight chapters in the game and 4 chapters in the extra content, and I think the demo covers just the first chapter; if so this is a nice long game and would be worth the CE price. The content limit kicked in with only 6 minutes left, which is pretty good.

Anyone who bought it, could you tell us where the chapters end? Specifically:
when you bring the Spirit back to life and the drought area blooms, that is the end of the demo. Which chapter does that correspond to? Thanks!

Edited on 07/02/2011 at 12:39:50 PM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jul 2, 11 1:57 PM
i played the beta and was so-so because of hint not very helping and some wondering in the game without knowing what to do
and my good surprise is the hint system is better,and the story more coherent now!
beautiful graphics,very interesting puzzles,music very simple (i loved the bell puzzle,the sound is exquisit!)the length is good and i want to say one thing very important:
for the first time i play CE(i think i have only not play 2)it is the first time i found the bonus level is upper than game(which is good yet)
1/it shows how certain person could be safe and complete the story totally
2/the ambiance of this desert is marvellous and the idea is a great idea
3/puzzles are harder(not too much)
4/ the story of bonus is very poetical and make me remember of some Salvador Dali paintings,strange and out of time
a great game indeed
i 'm a little sad for these who are waiting for SE for they are loosing an important part of the game,and as i said upper,the best for me

Edited on 07/02/2011 at 2:01:55 PM PST

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Jul 2, 11 2:54 PM
This game is just amazing!!

The artwork is stunning, just so beautiful. I read some comments comparing this to Drawn, in fact it's a much better game and nicer artwork. I like all the cutscenes.

The story is compelling and interesting. For those who don't like hidden object scenes, this one has fewer compared to other ihog. On the whole, game has more interaction than **** scenes.

Puzzles are easy to normal difficulty. Game length is longer than most CE, so it's very good value.

I don't mind the lack of voiceover. Sometimes it's better not to have it if it's not done well.

Definitely one of the best CEs to date.

[Post New]by bwittn on Jul 2, 11 4:30 PM
CasualGran wrote:Played the entire demo.

Pro:
- Different story (though it reminds me of Drawn a bit...)
- Objects to collect for extra features
- Interactive H0 scenes
- Nice, doable puzzles
- Lock or unlock the inventorybar

Con:
- No voice-overs.
- In expertmode still sparkles to indicate a H0 scene
- Music proportionally soft, if you want it you have to adjust
- Doesn't seem worth paying a double price for (could be just me)

Nice game, 3 out of 5, but should I buy?

Agree with this review 100%. I actually bought the game and was a bit disappointed with the abrupt ending.

NULL
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by NULL on Jul 2, 11 4:42 PM
I am a little disappointed with this game as I have found a bug and now I am going to have to reload it. Beware for those of you that are purchasing the game if you can not get the game to take the 12 eyes it is not you but the game.

jaybird3939
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by jaybird3939 on Jul 2, 11 5:01 PM
I am definitely in the minority here, but couldn't really get in to the game. It seemed really slow to start (played 30 minutes before 1st hidden object scene), lots of introductory frou-frou...seems like I wandered a lot. Anyway, played full hour & decided not to buy. It was a beautifully rendered game, & I enjoyed the origami aspect, but story wise, it just didn't grab me. I'm glad others enjoyed it so much, though. Happy Gaming!

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Jul 2, 11 9:16 PM
This is very fun and interesting game. I am about half way through and am enjoying myself immensely. This game is very interactive which is what I look for in a game.
It has great graphics and story line. The HOGs were done just right. Not too easy and not too hard. Glad I purchased this.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 3, 11 7:13 AM
I have played this game. It really good, I might consider to buy this game when the SE comes out.

(This game sort of reminds me of Drawn.)

[Post New]by moggiemoo on Jul 3, 11 7:39 AM
Hi, am on the hidden object in the tree house where you have to use the enchanted magnifyer and find all the eyes, i click on all the eyes but nothing is happening, am i missing something, please help XX

Edited on 07/03/2011 at 7:40:09 AM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 3, 11 10:52 AM
moggiemoo wrote:Hi, am on the hidden object in the tree house where you have to use the enchanted magnifyer and find all the eyes, i click on all the eyes but nothing is happening, am i missing something, please help XX

hi moggiemoo, and welcome to posting here!
Look at the top of the forum in the thread "UPDATE! New version available for Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition! July 2, 2011.", also for the instructions on how to re-install -- the new version should repair that bug. I'm afraid you'll also have to start over with a new player profile for it to work.
However, that was a relatively quick fix and the game is worth it, IMO.

Happy gaming!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 3, 11 11:04 AM
robinbobbin wrote: [...]Someone said there are eight chapters in the game and 4 chapters in the extra content, and I think the demo covers just the first chapter; if so this is a nice long game and would be worth the CE price. The content limit kicked in with only 6 minutes left, which is pretty good.

Anyone who bought it, could you tell us where the chapters end? Specifically:
when you bring the Spirit back to life and the drought area blooms, that is the end of the demo. Which chapter does that correspond to? Thanks! [...]
hi robinbobbin, the amount of chapters is correct, but your question is not so easy to answer, as the chapters have a different length.
Anyway, Spoiler, highlight to read:
<When you're done talking to the Spirit and the first area blooms, you are in the middle of chapter 3, according to the SG's setting of pages. But chapter 1 is very short, and chapter 3 is rather long; goes on from there for another 4 - 5 pages. And w/o counting all pages, my personal impression is not that you'd have done a third of the game play there. Including the bonus game, it took me a bit more than 6 hours. >

IOW: Didn't feel short and is a great game all around, IMO. I also liked the bonus content, it isn't just another series of H0-scenes.

Hope this helps; have fun!

hubbasa
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by hubbasa on Jul 3, 11 11:48 AM
Just finished the game and the bonus play. This was a great game and worth the CE price if you stop to enjoy all the subtleties. I see several comments about the bonus play ending abruptly... The bonus play fills in the story (possible spoiler: highlight to read) starting when the heroine loses contact with Peter up to the point where they meet again. I thought it was an excellent and ingeneous way to add content without ruining the story line of the regular play.

I am looking forward to seeing more work from this developer!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 3, 11 12:09 PM
hubbasa wrote: I thought it was an excellent and ingeneous way to add content without ruining the story line of the regular play.

My thoughts exactly.

elde
Catfish
Catfish
1,597 Posts

[Post New]by elde on Jul 3, 11 2:09 PM
I truly loved playing this game and finally, after some technical issues, finished it. The technical issues (12 eyes was solved pretty quickly, uninstall and reinstall AND change profile and if you reach that H0 scene start immediately looking for the eyes, the other one...black screen for ages nearly at the end in the scene where Peter is tryng to save Emily, I ctrl alt del - ed and started again..no problem).

IMHO it's a good storyline, a good mixture of adventure and H0 and the extra game play is cool too, like some others said. The origami is fun and I learned a thing or two..lol.
Great graphics!

Overall, I'm happy to say that I overcame those minor technical issues and was able to play the whole game b/c it's really worth your money.

From one happy fishie

[Post New]by robinbobbin on Jul 3, 11 3:10 PM
_DD_ wrote: hi robinbobbin, the amount of chapters is correct, but your question is not so easy to answer, as the chapters have a different length.
Anyway, Spoiler, highlight to read:
<When you're done talking to the Spirit and the first area blooms, you are in the middle of chapter 3, according to the SG's setting of pages. But chapter 1 is very short, and chapter 3 is rather long; goes on from there for another 4 - 5 pages. And w/o counting all pages, my personal impression is not that you'd have done a third of the game play there. Including the bonus game, it took me a bit more than 6 hours. >

IOW: Didn't feel short and is a great game all around, IMO. I also liked the bonus content, it isn't just another series of H0-scenes.

Hope this helps; have fun!

Thanks, _DD!!

Go to: