Re:Review for Vampire Saga - Welcome To Hell Lock

[Post New]by pepitogo26 on Jul 9, 11 9:47 AM
For those of you who haven't discovered by now, if there is no walkthrough listed for a game, simply go to [removed by moderator]. Click on the "walkthrough" tab, on "find games, then on the letter in the listed alphabet that your game begins with. Bingo!
The walkthrough you were wishing for! Not all games need walthroughs but with certain games a walkthrough is a necessity (as much as the skip button is for some mini-puzzles!) Enjoy your games!!

Edited on 07/09/2011 at 11:08:05 AM PST

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Jul 9, 11 10:04 AM
I like the game. Its what a Hidden object game should be, or at least what I perceived them to be when I first started playing them. Did I miss the intro or was there one, anyway it doesnt matter. Its not widescreen on my computer. There are multiples of some objects in the Hidden object scenes which makes it difficult to pick just the right one. However, I like the flow and playability of the game, its relaxing and I dont have to overtax my brain to proceed. Loved Pandoras Box and so far I like this one. I havent been reading the Journal so I really dont know what the story is about yet, Anyway, I am going to savor this one because I can play without running around looking for a walkthru. Thanks [removed by moderator] you do give your customers a game worth playing and enjoying. Thanks Big Fish for a pleasant week end.

Edited on 07/25/2011 at 9:13:48 AM PST

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jul 9, 11 10:17 AM
My review (the one you may have seen when you came in) was a bit grumpy. Sorry about that. The game gave me a headache, not good for mood but I could have waited for the aspirin to kick in.

Here's the deal. I want to like this game. Heck, I want to buy this game. This game has a LOT going for it and it's all the stuff that I really like. But those flashes give me a headache.

These flashes of light are really, really bad. I can't look around a scene, soak in the ambiance, and take note of what looks a little odd. Nope, I've got to rush around and take care of whatever flashes can be taken care of immediately and then live with (or rather continue to flinch from) the rest.

It's also not just because playing equals pain but because there's nothing for me to do in the game. I'm just moving stuff around to where the game is telling me it goes. And it's not just psssst...maybe try over here... it's all HEY! HEY YOU! THAT GOES HERE! RIGHT HERE! RIGHT NOW!! DO IT! which is not my idea of fun.

I will buy this game if they offer an advanced level or a version that isn't a constant migraine trigger. If they get rid of the flashes, I will come back and talk about all the stuff I like.

To those who are running around lecturing everyone about the proper place to post so that the developers may/may not see it: If the developers are interested in why their game is not doing quite as well as anticipated, they will read or skim all the threads related to their game. And they will start with the one marked "review." Also, I say the same thing to you that I say about this game - You're not the boss of me! Please, back off.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jul 9, 11 10:40 AM
Played the full demo, so this review is based on that. I haven't played the first Vampire Saga game yet.

I have to say, that after reading the reviews I was hesitant about even trying this one, because of the sparkles issue, but I said "WTH" and downloaded it. I didn't bother with the tutorial - I figured that I could figure out the game, which I did easily.

I agree with them comments about too many sparkles - they do detract from the game, turning into an"Idiot's Guide to Adventure Games" because you really don't have to search for anything since it is all pointed out to you. You open up a sealed space, there's one item in it, and it sparkles. I mean, it's not as if there was anything else in there to confuse you as to what you were supposed to pick up. It's one thing to give a single flash at an item of interest, but this game kept the flashes going until you looked at the item - totally unnecessary. There were no sparkles in the H0 games, but I did notice that the names of the inventory items changed color when you were close to them; I ignored that. The objects were well-drawn.

But what I think overcomes that liability are the gorgeous graphics of this game. It's on par with Return To Ravenhurst, The Phantom of the Opera, and Raincliff, IMO. The game allows you to wander around any of the areas that you've gained access to - either by traveling scene to scene, or fast-jumping to the scene by means of a photo album; I thought that was a very useful feature for those who don't like taking the "scenic" route. I like to wander back and forth in games, so I was happy. It was purely a pleasure to play this game for the graphics alone.

Inventory items weren't of the immediate-find-and-use category, which I liked. Some were even persistent after the first use, which was a nice touch. The story, while not unique, is presented in an interesting fashion, so it held my interest.

An area where I think the developer missed an opportunity was with the music. It seemed to be more of a nice generic spooky undercurrent, rather than a means to influence the player's emotions. There was one specific scene I'm thinking of where the potential shock of the revelation was diluted because the music did nothing to increase the tension. I think that Mystery Trackers: Raincliff has been the best so far in using the music score to enhance the game.

The pluses outweighed the sparkles issue for me, and I bought this game.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jul 9, 11 11:02 AM
I sincerely hope the developers are paying attention to what folks here are saying. I went a head and used a credit to buy the game. It took me about 4 to 4 1/2 hours to finish ( that's including the hour). For the most part I enjoyed the game. My biggest complaint: using inventory items. All too frequently if I did not place the item in just the right spot I would get a message saying something to the effect that it was wrong, never mind the fact that I had already used it successfully at least once before (such as when unscrewing bolts or screws). I pretty much always play on the easiest mode when offered the chance to do so. I have a bit of brain damage so that works better for me. Having said that, I've been playing H0 games long enough to know that there are a lot of folks who do not care for such an easy game and want and require more of a challenge. This is the other area where the developers royally messed up. Why didn't they offer a harder mode? Was it too much work or what?The developers failed again when they put too many flashing/ bright lights in the game. Again, this is not something that affects or bothers me personally, but it's not really fair to the folks it does and for the developers to even think or operate under the assumption that it does not matter-it's a poor way of doing business.

As always I played on my laptop that runs windows 7 hp 64bit. I did not experience any tech issues what so ever. Graphics and music were fine. I didn't much care for the ending, but oh well.

Have Fun Y'all

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 9, 11 11:37 AM
TimeKilla wrote:My review (the one you may have seen when you came in) was a bit grumpy. Sorry about that. The game gave me a headache, not good for mood but I could have waited for the aspirin to kick in.
<snip>
I will buy this game if they offer an advanced level or a version that isn't a constant migraine trigger. If they get rid of the flashes, I will come back and talk about all the stuff I like.

To those who are running around lecturing everyone about the proper place to post so that the developers may/may not see it: If the developers are interested in why their game is not doing quite as well as anticipated, they will read or skim all the threads related to their game. And they will start with the one marked "review." Also, I say the same thing to you that I say about this game - You're not the boss of me! Please, back off.

Hi timekilla - This seems to be a dig at me, but I would like to explain why I posted what I did. Recently in the thread entitled: In regards to Comments and Review threads in the Game Forum (which has recently been un-stickied from the top threads in CCC) bfgArnoStyx wrote the following:
Our first priority with the Comments and Reviews thread is to make sure that we're able to have all reviews about our games in one area. We use this particular thread to collect feedback for our developers on a weekly basis, so redirecting users to this thread will not only help the Game Forum remain organized (as we already lock any outlying tech threads as well), but will allow us to take note of every review.

I'm sorry if you felt that I was ordering anybody to do anything, I was not, merely mentioning that this was the best place to write how much the flashes affected people.

I will keep all such comments to myself in future so as not to 'upset' yourself or anyone else! Thank you for listening.

Kel

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jul 9, 11 11:47 AM
I loved the first Vampire Saga and I like the adventure aspect of this one but I doubt I will purchase because of the sparkles. I can see using sparkles to show where hidden object scenes are, but not for every single thing you need to look at or pick up. I have light sensitivities and I got a whopper of a headache while playing the demo. The graphics are about the same as the first Vampire Saga and the music was just right to create a spooky atmosphere. Please developers, if you are listening, dump all the sparkles so everyone can enjoy your game.

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Jul 9, 11 11:52 AM
I. cannot. stand. this. game. The flashes were so glaring and annoying I had to quit the demo. What is the point of a game if you are just doing and going where they tell you, and they will not stop telling, I mean virtually yelling at you about what to do. This is not a game, its just a glorifed walkthough. The whole point of a game is to be at least somewhat challenged, not Vegas style lights pushing you toward exactly what needs to be done. There is no fun at all for me in this game, no fun at all.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jul 9, 11 11:57 AM
I can't believe how this game makes no sense at all. It has you playing hidden object games with pretty much the same objects in all of them. I found the game head spinning and boring, to say the least. I wasted my credit on this one and that really pi**es me off. Oh well like I've said many times, I'll have to play some of the crappy games while I wait for a great Adventure game to show up here again.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 9, 11 12:07 PM
Have played 35 min of the demo and quite like it.. Now this is what I call a hand holding one.. It takes you by the hand and shows you the IHOG's objects and guess if you want something harder, you wouldn't like the game. As far as I am concerned, sometimes I enjoy not having to do hard games so will wait and ponder whether to buy or not.

lakegurl
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by lakegurl on Jul 9, 11 12:08 PM
Ok, after playing 45 mins of the trial I feel compelled to comment. The good and the not-so-good. (I hear you TimeKilla!) I am not an experienced reviewer, so read at your own risk.
Sparkles: as others have mentioned, these are not “sparkles”, but rather pulsing, exploding “strobe-light” things. What on earth? As a gal who generally doesn’t mind sparkles, (and in fact relies on them on occasion and likes being able to choose a casual/assisted play mode), this was even off-putting to me. It would be funny if it wasn’t so irksome. I have a theory though- perhaps this is some sort of reverse psychology- maybe the Dev’s think after being confronted with a game LOADED with exploding, pulsing, strobe thingys, we won’t find “regular” sparkles so annoying in the future? LOL. I’m going to go put my sunglasses on.
Hand-holding: As mentioned above, I often play in casual mode, and I am not into frustrating myself. There are days I just want to play without brain-drain. I am not afraid of hints, strategy guides, walk-throughs, etc. That being said- I have never seen anything like this. At the beginning of the game when I was directed (by the exploding strobe lights) to put the lever on the generator I was laughing so hard I about peed my pants. Seriously? My dog could have figured that out (no offense to my dog intended). Still only 45 mins into the game, but it seems the hand-holding does lessen a bit as the game goes on. But only a bit.
HOG List Assist: I didn’t even realize the search words morphed green until I read someone else’s post. I immediately went back to the game to try again. I have to say I love this feature. LOVE it. Completely unnoticeable if you don’t want to use it, and there if you find yourself stuck. It’s kind of an adventure in itself, mousing around watching for a word to turn green.
Graphics/Art: Beautiful. The entire movement of the game feels really solid, and the art has a depth and a richness to it. No junk, nothing sloppy, just beautiful, intriguing, creative scenes. So far lots to do and lots to see. The art definitely helps tell the story. Love it.
Music/Sound Effects: Innocuous, and that’s a good thing. Enhances, doesn’t distract, not too repetitive. Just right in creating the mood and ambiance. Voices could have been nice, but sometimes (depending on the voices) voices can make things worse, so I’m cool with this.
All in all, a game enjoyable enough for me to purchase- my hour is over and I want more. Sure wish there was a way to tone down the condescending and over-the-top “help”, wish there were varying levels of play to choose from (as there are in most games), and enough with the strobe lights already, but all that aside, (so far) this is an interesting, fun, beautiful game worthy of my $. I might wait for the walk-through to see how long the game is, but I expect I might purchase by the end of the day.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jul 9, 11 12:25 PM
I really like the game, played the demo for 15 min and was ready to purchase it. I love dark suspense games and with plenty of things to do. No complaints from me. I read a few reviews where some people didnt' like the sparkles, sparkles are in almost all of the games, no big deal. The more you dwell on something the larger it becomes. I'm off to go enjoy it!

vsbash
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by vsbash on Jul 9, 11 12:41 PM
I simply enjoyed this game. It's not quite as "scary" as Pandora's Box but it is creepy in it's own right. I actually like the H0 scene help and found these objects much easier to find than the ones in Pandora's Box. The sparkling was a bit much. I think sparkles would've been sufficient in the photo album alone. Then those of us who don't like handholding would've satisfied as well as those who need a little extra help.

Not too many mini games (although I LOVE mini games over H0 scenes so I could've used more of them) and there is a skip button for them. I think I only used the skip button once and that was *spoiler alert* during the photo develop mini game which I think was very redundant and pointless IMHO.

The game took me about 5 hours (gave me something to do while hubby golfed) whereas Pandora's Box took me a week (only cuz that game scared the heck out of me and I could only play it sporadically ). If you're looking for something eerie but not too jump out of your seat scary this game should suit your needs. It's a nice kickoff to the weekend. Keep 'em coming BFG!!

Edited on 07/09/2011 at 12:45:37 PM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 9, 11 12:45 PM
lionscat wrote:I. cannot. stand. this. game. The flashes were so glaring and annoying I had to quit the demo. What is the point of a game if you are just doing and going where they tell you, and they will not stop telling, I mean virtually yelling at you about what to do. This is not a game, its just a glorifed walkthough. The whole point of a game is to be at least somewhat challenged, not Vegas style lights pushing you toward exactly what needs to be done. There is no fun at all for me in this game, no fun at all.

Welcome to the pond lionscat - totally agree with you!!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 9, 11 1:10 PM
Mixed feelings here. This is definitely of the same caliber of the CE released on Thursday. [removed by moderator] has wonderful games. However, I must agree that the sparkles are getting ANNOYING! Too many. Many of us are not nitwits. We can figure things out without all the sparkles. I will probably purchase this as a relief from Black Mirror 3 which is extremely, extremely difficult!! to say the least. Sometimes, in that game, I need to think to get answer to the puzzles and what to do next. I still refuse to pay $13.99 for a game without voice and in the same mode as this game which costs me only $6.99 and Black Mirror 3 which is going to take me hours to solve only cost me $11.99 on another site. I have some free games coming so this will be one of them. Not bad, but geesh, get rid of the sparkles! Grade B

Edited on 07/25/2011 at 9:14:01 AM PST

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Jul 9, 11 1:13 PM
Edited to add: the monitor I am using came with another PC which was brand new last year. I was on a web site playing a game when monitor went totally black. The tower was lit up and I still had cable and phone.I called company and heard a recording that said: Internet provider was doing an update to service along with a little maintenance work. It was about 2:30 am when this happened.

My fella took the tower to a company in the county he lives in, and they found that a part of the mother board was severly damaged. That PC had Windows Vista. I could play just about every game there was with no problems. Their advice to me was to NOT play any game with explosions in it and beware of hackers that give you a nice present of a virus and keep track of time when on PC.

The tower cost way too much too repair what with new parts and labor costs. This PC cost me close to $900 which I scrimped and saved and went without things to purchase. My fella tossed in a couple hundred because I forget the tax of all things. It came with Windows Vista and I loved that PC. He then purchased a new tower out of the goodness of his heart so that I had a way of staying in touch with my daughter and grandkids in Texas and to relax me so that I could get a restful night. Kinda hard to do with sleep apnea and no C-pap machine.

My new PC came with Windows 7 and also included zip files (which I totally hate) I could at first wwitch between 32 bit and 64 bit with no problem. that came to a hault with so many game sites telling me I needed to this and that to my PC so that I could play the games.

So if I stepped on anyone's little fin I am sorry. I like BFG games and [removed by moderator]'s too. I keep going there if I cant finish a game here in the trial. So hopefully the developers of this game will find a solution as to why I can't start playing the game like everyone else. I'll even send copy of the error message I get when I go to options to change game mode.

Edited on 07/09/2011 at 1:38:27 PM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jul 9, 11 1:27 PM
I don’t think I have ever seen a game like this, and I don’t think I would ever want to see another one like it. This game takes about as much skill as a connect-the-dots picture geared to the 3 to 5 year old level. All you do is follow the flashing lights and the dialogue instructions. The game plays itself.

I forced myself to play 20 minutes and then quit as a headache was coming on. After a rest I went back and played another 30 minutes so I could comment on the game after playing a little longer.

If you want to play a game where you can totally veg out and not use any brain cells, this is it. You can have a total stress free romp in vampire land. This may be a great way to kill a rainy afternoon, especially if you enjoy watching someone else play games. Even the hidden objects find themselves.

giddiup101
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by giddiup101 on Jul 9, 11 1:39 PM
Kelvarda wrote:Devs: [removed by moderator]/Go Games. Options: Music, Background Audio, Sound Effects. Windowed Mode, Custom Cursor. Overclick Penalty: Swirly Cursor. Music is Eerie and full of suspense.

No Voices, and click to continue 'boxes' for readable story

Does any-one else think some of the games lately seem to be 'taking a step backwards'! No difficulty options and 'Sparkles, Sparkles everywhere, And never a need to think!'

BIG Light Flashes and you MUST click on CLOSE to close the box, I've got used to clicking anywhere outside the box to close them!! You cannot miss the GIANT directional Arrows. And why the need for 'Warm, Warmer, Hot!' of the Hidden Objects scenes, although for those that find H0 scenes a 'bloody nuisance' this will get them over quicker!

You have a Journal, and instead of a Map, you take a Photo and can use this to travel where you want to go. (Saves on Footwear I suppose). Where you 'see' the bloody handprints - take a closer look after you've taken the photo!!

I will (and not for the first time this week) have to think long and hard before I use a Game Credit or Punch Card Coupon on this game.

Maybe those of you who ARE Light Sensitive could post to that effect in this Review thread, as this is the thread used to give developers feed-back!! You may get a re-build as they did with Princess Isabella II

Kel

I agree Kelvarda !! I like games that really make you think and I have really been disappointed lately with these games. At least give us options to turn off sparkles if we wish. To me there is no fun in playing these games if they are going to hold my hand the whole time. And yes if does feel as though we are moving backwards instead of forward/more advanced with these games of late. I have not been using my credits because I'm trying to hang on for something more challenging.

Edited on 07/25/2011 at 9:14:35 AM PST

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Jul 9, 11 1:47 PM
Played 50 minutes of the demo and thought I would check in to see what others had to say

I guess I am in a minority - I liked the game and yes there were some issues already discussed but not enough negative to not buy - have a couple extra credits and this was a good game to spend one on

Interesting - different - plays well and graphics are clear

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Jul 9, 11 2:11 PM
What can I say that has not already been said. Ok, first those are not sparkles! They are vivid flashes of light where I thought they were ghosts.

I really would of loved to play and buy this game, but not when I do not even see the screen while I am clicking on the light, i.e. sparkles.

If you are light sensitive (which I am not) this will be a deadly game for you and the developers should have a warning on the page. After 15 mins I stopped playing because this game is not worth my money or credit.

If the developers remove the lights or at least tone them down a lot that might be different, but until then.

I give this game a 2 out of 5, for the very easy game play, horrible flashing lights and no options to not have them. Just so you know I usually like the sparkles.

Edited on 07/09/2011 at 2:12:04 PM PST

Go to: