dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Review for F.A.C.E.S. Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dlb628 on Jul 14, 11 1:07 PM
Thanks to the people who let us know that the bonus chapter is necessary for the full storyline! Looks like I'll be purchasing this one.

jmwillo
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by jmwillo on Jul 14, 11 1:40 PM
The game was ok but more than anything I liked being able to play with no problems ie: the cursor sticking a black screen game won't play etc. This is the first CE game that hasn't had any of these problems for me. After saying all that I will wait for the SE to come out as it is very rare that I buy a CE. Thank you Vogat for easy playing.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 14, 11 1:54 PM
moonladydi wrote:<snip>
Don't normally buy CEs, but the Bonus chapter is an integral part of the story, and brings it to a satisfactory conclusion. Serious kudos to Vogat for another great HOG adventure.

Does this mean that those of us who do not buy the CE are going to be left with a story that has no satisfactory ending???

Because if this is the case I won't be buying the CE or the SE

Kel

lakegurl
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by lakegurl on Jul 14, 11 1:54 PM
Caveats: I am a graduate student desperately in need of a diversion today, and I have only played about 45 mins so far. But that being said-

I couldn’t buy this game fast enough! Only played a few minutes of the demo, and went straight to purchase. Absolutely stunning graphics, (some seriously twisted minds at work on this one lol), loads of areas to explore and things to do in each scene, intriguing and compelling storyline, nice movement and look to the cursor, just the right amount of “creepy”, super light on the sparkles (whew!), lots of HOG’s if that’s your thing, plenty of little not-too-challenging games/puzzles sprinkled in, and an excellent strategy guide. I don’t mind the absence of voices, so that’s not a deterrent or disappointment to me- I like being able to click through dialog at my own pace, rather than waiting for audio/voices. Didn’t explore the bonus yet (no dessert before dinner!), but I can’t wait to get there. By the look of things, it will be spectacular.

I can’t even articulate what exactly it was that drew me in so quickly, (art, art, art?!), but it was no surprise- I happen to have all other games from VOGAT, (except Columbus, which I can’t get to work on my PC), and they are among my all time favorites. I have no doubt this one will be a treasure too.

Edited on 07/14/2011 at 1:56:59 PM PST

[Post New]by kalliopeia on Jul 14, 11 4:19 PM
I'm totally loving this game so far! I am partial to the creepy kinds of games, and this one fits the bill perfectly. I can't comment on music because I always mute that right away, but the background sounds are nice and spooky and atmospheric. About 40 minutes into the demo I'm not seeing an unusual amount of hidden object scenes, or at least it doesn't seem so. Maybe I just don't mind them? I'm kind of disappointed that there's only been on mini-game so far. I want to get an idea of how long this game is before I buy it (nothing I hate more than getting a game, liking it a lot, buying it, and then it ends 30 minutes later), but I more than likely will. Love it!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 14, 11 4:31 PM
Good quality game but the graphics are too dreary for me to pay extra- plus there is nothing special here to set it apart from the very very many CE's I already own.
The sheer numbers of CE's now is making it so easy to say no and wait.

If this game had one of the following I would buy the CE
1. Amazing graphics with pleasant cheery colours
2. Something different in the gameplay to make it interesting
3. Original storyline and setting
4. Less HOG scenes More adventure

None of these apply so will save my $$$$$

Edited on 07/14/2011 at 6:51:00 PM PST

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Jul 14, 11 4:43 PM
Hi to all ! Just finished playing the demo, honestly, as the demo began to play and VOGAT games came up... was my first thought! I really love VOGAT games. Not too much else needs to be said...this will be my next purchase ! Thanks BFG, and to the DEVS of VOGAT keep the good games coming !!

candybrand
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by candybrand on Jul 14, 11 5:26 PM
i'm with you campfire29, BF is puting out a lot of CE games and no good SE games, what is going on, the more CE games we buy the more credits we get and we don't have any SE games to spend them on, come on BF, get on the ball, got credits i need to use and i would like to buy some of those CE's too but not until i use my credits

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jul 14, 11 6:51 PM
satexasgirl wrote:The game filled my widescreen (16") I don't know if it normally would or if it was because I changed settings to "scale full screen" (right click your desktop about 2/3 of the way down click graphics options then select panel fit). Since I've done that more games have filled the widescreen.

I run windows 7 hp 64bit. While I enjoyed the game, I'll probably wait for the SE to come out. I'm not thrilled with it enough to pay the CE price.

Thanks so much satexasgirl for this tip!!!!!!!!!!! I also run Win7, 64 bit... Can't wait to try this as my biggest peeve in most games is that they won't fill my widescreen.

Thanks so much for sharing this info!! ((((((BIG HUGS))))))

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 14, 11 7:22 PM
I don't buy CE's, but I have to get this one. The graphica are amazing and I love the story. The edition of the bounus play seems to be worth the purchase of this CE. Not to mention that "Vogat" make's the best games ever. So, I'm breaking my own rule not to purchase CE's and buying this game. I think this is going to be worth it.

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jul 14, 11 7:32 PM
Kelvarda wrote:
moonladydi wrote:<snip>
Don't normally buy CEs, but the Bonus chapter is an integral part of the story, and brings it to a satisfactory conclusion. Serious kudos to Vogat for another great HOG adventure.

Does this mean that those of us who do not buy the CE are going to be left with a story that has no satisfactory ending???

Because if this is the case I won't be buying the CE or the SE

Kel

It certainly looks that way, and I find it irksome. When an independent review describes any CE bonus chapter as "bringing the story to a more definitive conclusion" it would seem the SE is being sold as unfinished. Why would a developer be willing to compromise his pride in a product that way? Ah yes, the almighty buck.

ETA: Having finished the bonus chapter, I would like to amend my comment as it pertains to this game. The CE truly does contain bonus play connected to the main story, BUT either way. CE or SE, the game is left open to a sequel.

And, the bonus content -- at least a taste of it, is available from the beginning of the core game -- that is actually a very generous inclusion.

Edited on 07/14/2011 at 11:36:30 PM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jul 14, 11 8:15 PM
I just finished the demo, and while I thought the artwork was gorgeous and gameplay very smooth, I have to admit to a bit of confusion. Am I supposed to be that angel-girl who appears and disappears? If so, am I dead and reappearing to my previous self, trying to change events? Or is that angel-girl someone else completely? I started the game on the Advanced mode, so maybe I missed out on something?

The music was quite innocuous - I don't think that it added much to the story, and possibly detracted from it because it didn't really create any sense of tension in the scenes I visited. I did like that eyeball cursor, though.

This seems to be basically a find-an-object-immediately-use-it type of game, or at least it was up until the point I played, which was going down into the security room. I don't really like the obviousness of that in games; I prefer to have those "WTH" moments when I'm looking at an inventory that consists of marigold seed, a stone fragment, a pile of lint and a pretzel.

The game was engrossing and the demo time went by quickly, but I didn't have that "I-MUST-BUY-THIS" feeling when I finished it. I wasn't really invested in either the character or the storyline - probably because one of my first thoughts was that anyone who willingly walks into a place with the word "asylum" in its name - other than to visit a relative who's a resident there - is too stupid to live anyway. So I don't really care enough about the game to be upset that the extra gameplay in the CE version apparently adds a lot to the story. I'll probably wait until it comes out in the SE version and use a coupon on it.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Jul 14, 11 8:56 PM
Bpup, I'm just going to follow your reviews from now on, they're exactly how I feel. I had to laugh at the ad welcoming people to the asylum. Really? And you went? As ridiculous as calling your business a "centre of excellence," it's way more people friendly than "asylum."

I know you have to suspend belief sometimes but this one was too big a stretch.

[Post New]by riskfree on Jul 14, 11 11:47 PM
full screen option is not working for me..any solution ?

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Jul 15, 11 12:04 AM
i was not disappointed in this game at all. yes there were alot of hogs but they were not easy ones at all they did a great job making us work at thoses No glitches for me the game ran wonderful from start to finish. I wish there was more interaction with people more voices instead of just straight background music It was well worth the price and you in my opioion needed to get the CE to get the whole story of the game the length was great I consider myself an old pro at these kinds of games and I played 8 hours total No use of the guide and i did skip one puzzle I even played the demo and when purchased started over so i can take my time instead of rushing before time ran out and it wasn't the same hog items they do switch so you can replay and have to find new stuff all and all another great vogat and can;t wait till part 2

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jul 15, 11 12:09 AM
I had to step in and have my say on this game and I wonder if Askold & Vogat team will be around again, as they have not been here for some 17 hours. I know there is a time difference.
I can see that a lot of work has gone into this game, I agree with some other fishie, that the chapters are way too short, I am a slow player. I cannot see the bonus chapter making this worth a CE price.
PLEASE will you stop treating us like children and stop the click penalty! Your items are so well blended in some of the junkpile H0 scenes, that overclicking can happen! I can never see the point of a penalty anyway.
I got very bored with the same few scenes for such a long time, so dark and dreary, except for the lounge/bedroom scene.
As I said, a lot of work has gone into this and I appreciate it but if the bonus is the "conclusion" to the game, then I will not buy the CE or the SE as this seems unfair to many fishies that cannot afford the CE and wait for 4/6 weeks for the SE to appear.
Well done for trying but to me a disappointment from a normally excellent developer.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jul 15, 11 1:49 AM
Great game BF! I really liked it. Was disappointed when the demo ran out ......A definite buy for me. As soon as I get my new monitor in on my desktop , which should be by tomorrow. (I have been using my old laptop this week and boy, what a difference!) Anyway, the graphics , the ease of play, the ****'s games, the mini games all played a part in my choice. Thanks BF for another good game! I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

Edited on 07/15/2011 at 1:50:50 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jul 15, 11 1:50 AM
the bonus chapter is NOT something which ends the game ,it is another way to let us think it would be a sequel!nothing definitive here,just something which let us with the sensation that the story will go on it is a plus,not the end of the story

Edited on 07/15/2011 at 1:51:40 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 15, 11 3:07 AM
Well... I took the whole hour I am allowed in a demo and still didn`t finish the trial version. I saw that some peeps only took about 20 minutes or so, and I guess I just don`t move that fast. It also means that this will be a nice long game for me to play.

I don`t really enjoy the type of rooms we are encountering in this game - have played several asylum games and never liked the dirty and untidy look of these rooms. I always want to go right in there with a brush and a bucket of water and clean up the place before touching anything.

And yes, the H0 scenes seem rather cluttered (something I really don`t like either), but strangely enough I have no trouble finding (most) objects without too much trouble.

Kudos to the developers for allowing us to view the whole of the Strategy Guide in the trial version.

I also like the way the HINT button works outside of the H0 scenes, and I just have to hover over the journal to see what tasks I still have to do.

Although I am not too fond of the graphics, nor do I really care for yet another abandoned, dirty, and cluttered place I have to search, I am intrigued by the story, and I do enjoy the gameplay, so this is a buy for me.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Jul 15, 11 4:14 AM
Personally, at this point, I would label Vogat with the distinction as “The Master of Creepy Games".

The story arc of this game works by messing with your mind more than by visually assaulting you. I didn’t really get the constant sense of immediate danger that some of these games create but, rather I got the persistent sense of imminent doom and uneasiness at what might be discovered. Sometimes it was in the background and subtle. Other times it was more in the foreground and yet, still more subtle than one might expect.

There were times that I breezed along from one task to the next without being too involved and other times, I found myself hesitating to go through a door or explore an environment. It is a grisly tale. The graphicness exists more in the words and because of that, I went away with the feeling that it was more visually disturbing than it actually was, in retrospect. I believe this requires more artful skill. That’s why I call them, “The Master”.

Although not pretty in scenery, due to the storyline, the graphics are quite realistic and very finely detailed. One can’t help but notice that. I found myself greatly enamored with the eye and hand cursor, as well as catching myself constantly admiring the OK button, too.

The cursor changes were a little picky at times in the action elements. I seem to have adjusted as I played the game because by the end, I didn’t notice it as much.

I found several of the H0 scenes interesting especially as I used the cursor to search along with my eyes. Scenes do repeat at times and were less interesting at those times. I wish that there had been more consistency in adding little touches to all of them because, there were many H0 scenes in the game. It would have helped avoid the fatigue after a long stretch of playing. Finding some of the items was challenging. I was glad of that because it helped to make the scenes more worth playing.

The puzzles ranged from easy to some that were more challenging. I don’t think that any were too hard, though.

I found that I encountered a story continuity problem with the Bonus Chapter vs. the Main game that had me scratching my head at first but, it was based on a minor detail from a photo and could easily be overlooked.

I don’t know if I will replay it because, it’s creepier than I would usually play. However, I don’t regret my decision to purchase because Vogat has proven to listen and care what players think and I cannot help but be glad to support them for that.

Go to: