Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Unsolved Mystery Club: Ancient Astronauts Collectors Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 18, 11 4:04 AM
SPOILER ALERT

Well, I am impressed! Just played the demo, which took me 51 minutes, and so far this game has everything you would want in an iHOG.

Great graphics, fun and interesting gameplay, nice puzzles, having to find gems on the way (love doing those extras).

I also love the fact that my name comes up every so often - makes the game more personal. And I love the voice-over and having to deal with foreign languages that need to be translated.

I am now off to buy this game. Thank you so much, developers, for this really wonderful and all-round great game.

Oh, and although I did misclick in the H0 scenes 3 or 4 times in a row, I never got a penalty for it.

What a great start to the week !!

ETA: Completely forgot to mention: This is the first time, that I click on the "widescreen" button in the "Option" section, and the game actually fills out all of my widescreen screen. It never worked with other games, and usually when I click on the "widescreen" button, the screen narrows even more. So this is really great.

Edited on 07/18/2011 at 4:13:17 AM PST

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on Jul 18, 11 10:19 AM
did the demo with out reading reveiws.. I liked this game interesting blend of truth and fiction. Alien theme unusaual which is refreshing after all the vampires and lost kids lately. After the intro it doesn't take long to get off the boat.. I played in advance mode without hints using the stragey guide only if completely dumbfounded. I liked the graphics nice and clear, puzzle were simple so far ( I have only played the demo to this point) I found that the clues as to what to do where were basically commonsense and led well into each other. I found that the demo was too short as once you enter the temple your demo is over even if you have time left over which I had a lot of left. I growl at this but in the postive in was a good place to end the demo as it made me want to play more and I had played enough to know that yes I liked it. I will be buying this game in the near future. great game very refreshing. A person should at lest do the demo and decide for themseleves.

Also should mention this is one the few times I've seen a mute button in the options menu.

Edited on 07/18/2011 at 10:20:44 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 18, 11 6:00 PM
The first Unsolved Mystery Club game was good, but very short (2 hours if I remember right), and the gameplay was so la la. But this game seems much better - graphic is great, also the gameplay. Gamelength seems also great (depending on other reviews). I will definete be buying the SE, but not sure if I want the CE - I hope I can resist lol (but I don`t think so lol).

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Jul 18, 11 9:07 PM
I agree totally with TimeKilla......after the first few chapters, the game just diminishes to a D minus.

I've played through the regular game, but not the bonus part, and I'm not sure if I even want to finish it. This is probably the first time in all the CE's that I've purchased, that I feel this way. Very sad.

I get the feeling that the devs just got bored with the game, or, maybe they got taken over by aliens who thought to stall the dev's efforts to let the world know the truth. The story just becomes silly and disjointed and rushed, and short!

I feel bad dissing the game like this, but I feel cheated....both my pocket book and my expectations, this could have been a really interesting change of pace, instead it was a slow crawl to the end.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Jul 18, 11 9:36 PM
I just finished the 3rd chapter and am enjoying the heck out of this game. Some of the reviews said that the next chapters will not be as good. I hope not.

This is an example of a really great game. Story line, graphics and HOG scenes are all very good. The game has a lot of twists and turns and a minimum of HOGs. As I am a a fan of the adventure aspect of a game and not so much of a HOG fan, this is a really good game for my tastes. Well the money for a CE.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Jul 18, 11 11:22 PM
I've only played the demo & I really enjoyed it even though on advanced mode it took me 30 minutes...I like how even though we are looking for explorers, it has an alien, roswell sort of feeling to it and thats new and refreshing. I won't buy the CE because I HATE the strategy guide. I like being able to go to the point I can't figure things out easily without having to flip page by page to the point I need. What I mean is, the first part was 129 pages I believe? and I didn't need help until I was on page 66 or so and I had to click 66 times to get to the page I needed each time with an annoying BEEP BEEP BEEP 66 times. That doesn't work for me. Strategy guides need to be well done and easy to access. IF its going to be something in this format then it needs to progress with you as you move along not stay at page 1 when you are up to page 66. What if I had played the whole game and needed help just at the very end? Would I have had to skip through 300 pages one by one? & because of that I can't buy the CE because thats the point of a CE, the bonus game & the walkthrough, at least for me. Hopefully the SE will get released soon. Happy gaming

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 19, 11 4:26 AM
SPOILER ALERT

I have now finished the game, and the only negative things for me were:

1) The Hint button took an ice age to load, and the SKIP button took eons. Why do some developers still make us wait for ages for the buttons to fill up? And this was in easy mode where the hint and skip buttons are supposed to fill up faster. So I don`t want to know how long it took in advanced mode.

This really annoyed me towards the end, when I had to do the fingerprint sliders, which were really impossible to do, for me anyway. I like this particular game, but the three I had to do were rediculously hard.

Same goes for the mini game where you had to find 2 of the same kind. Again, there were 3 games, and with the third one I didn`t even try to find doubles, but made myself a sandwich, and when I got back to the game, the skip button was still loading.

2) I would have liked to see separate volume choices for voice and sound. In order to hear properly what was said, the volume had to be all the way up.
However, the other sounds made during the game needed to be turned down (all that moaning each time I clicked on an object wasn`t something I wanted to hear with the volume all the way up).

So there was this conflict. I had to strain my ears to hear what was said - yes, I can read the text, but if there are voices, I like to hear them properly. And I don`t want to keep turning the computer volume up and down all the time.

HondaTrike
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by HondaTrike on Jul 19, 11 7:42 AM
This is the first review I've ever posted. I've been playing Big Fish games for a year. I'm an oldie but a goodie. ha ha. 59 years old, and love these games. BUT --- I met my match on this game. I don't know what it is, but I'm having to pretty much follow the Strategy Guide that comes with the game. I cannot seem to figure anything out. Most of the time I'm able to play a game on my own. It's like I have a mental block on this game. I keep reaching points I don't know how to work a puzzle, or what to do next, so I look at the Strategy Guide. I think it's a great game, beautiful graphics, and all, but for some reason I'm finding it a very difficult game. There is also a "hint" system, where it takes you one question at a time that you might need help with. But once you have it answer one question, you have to wait till the hint timer comes back before you can ask another question, so I follow the Strategy Guide. But the biggest thing bothering me on this game is the click penalty. I think you get 3 clicks on items, and that's it, then you get that shaky, can't do anything until it gives you back control. Three items I find it very bothersome. At least some games give you a few more clicks before they penalize you. I'm not saying I don't like the game, but it has been a difficult game for me. I bought it, but wished I had tried it first.

jennipurr
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by jennipurr on Jul 19, 11 10:30 AM
HondaTrike wrote:This is the first review I've ever posted. I've been playing Big Fish games for a year. I'm an oldie but a goodie. ha ha. 59 years old, and love these games. BUT --- I met my match on this game. I don't know what it is, but I'm having to pretty much follow the Strategy Guide that comes with the game. I cannot seem to figure anything out. Most of the time I'm able to play a game on my own. It's like I have a mental block on this game. I keep reaching points I don't know how to work a puzzle, or what to do next, so I look at the Strategy Guide. I think it's a great game, beautiful graphics, and all, but for some reason I'm finding it a very difficult game. There is also a "hint" system, where it takes you one question at a time that you might need help with. But once you have it answer one question, you have to wait till the hint timer comes back before you can ask another question, so I follow the Strategy Guide. But the biggest thing bothering me on this game is the click penalty. I think you get 3 clicks on items, and that's it, then you get that shaky, can't do anything until it gives you back control. Three items I find it very bothersome. At least some games give you a few more clicks before they penalize you. I'm not saying I don't like the game, but it has been a difficult game for me. I bought it, but wished I had tried it first.
I agree, I'm having a hard time with this one too. maybe it is a mental thing, but if I have to work this hard on a game it stops being fun. I might buy it a s a SE, but I'll save money here.

sheilafaye
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by sheilafaye on Jul 19, 11 11:01 AM
I loved this game as I have with all the games by these developers [Vogat]. I only have to see that they're the developer to make it a buy for me.

Some of the more recent CEs have been better value, IMO, due to reasonably lengthy, interesting bonus chapters that have production values equal to the original game. I greatly appreciate that. Many of us,[me for certain] find little to no added value in having access to the artwork, screen savers and the like. But a good bonus chapter, coupled with the in-game strategy guide makes the extra cost worth while.

Having said that, many of the criticisms written in other reviews I agree with. This game was hard to play without the strategy guide. And the strategy guide could have been better constructed. The sound needed better controls.

One thing I'm not appreciative of is the dreary feel of many of our CE games. I know that it's important to establish the environment as mysterious. I just wonder if it's possible to do that and make the games interesting, without the sort of grey, drab, dreary feel to the game. I find that when I finish a game like this, I feel sort of stressed---entertained in the sense that I was absorbed by the game play for several hours, but not refreshed as I hope to feel after "playing". It feels more like work somehow with the dreary cast to it all.

Perhaps it's because I come to the gameplay already ill and looking for something to give me a break from that...I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here.

It's not the story line or subject matter that I'm addressing--though I suppose to be fair vogat and others may feel that they need the dreary factor to create the setting for this type of story.

Anyway--superb game for the most part, and thanks. I'll look forward to the next one and buy even if it is dreary.

Sheila

Edited on 07/19/2011 at 11:05:37 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jul 19, 11 11:05 AM
So far, for me, a good game. Glad too, because I have not cared for any games advertised in the past two weeks. That is unusual for me, since even in a dry spell, there is at least one TM or HOG I like. Oh well, it gave me a chance to replay some old purchases, and finish others I started long ago.

I have not even played the full free hour, before deciding to purchase this game. I guess I'm feeling that game desperate? LOL.

I like the story line, graphics, and the overall smooth gameplay. So for me, this is a winner.

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on Jul 19, 11 3:00 PM
I am not sure what the big hoopla was about regarding this game. Waaaay too easy puzzles. Required no thinking at all. Since I had already bought it, i had to finish it. Oh yeah, and the ending was horrific. Abrupt and again way too easy. Total waste of money.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jul 19, 11 4:54 PM
I just finished this game, altho I haven't played the bonus as yet.....tomorrow. This IMO is one of the very best ever. All the things we Fishies have asked for is in this game. The extremely interesting story, graphics and voice-overs are excellent. The only thing I can't comment on is the music as I play with the TV on. It's Adventure with some H0s and puzzles. It's truly an awesome game. The Devs worked very hard and very thoughtfully. Great quality. Thanks BFG.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jul 20, 11 6:23 AM
i found the demo of this game boring. the recharge for the skip and hint buttons took waaaaay too long, h.o. scenes i found to be somewhat fuzzy.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Jul 20, 11 6:34 AM
Yep - gotta love this one. totally hooked. Loved the accompanying sounds, to clicks etc. Even had the music on. Might even be tempted to buy the CE as it looks like it might be a long game and worth the extra.
Only slight downer? Bit slow to change scenes and why do we sometimes get a hand and sometimes we don't when there is something to do. Feel like I have to click on everything just in case. Puzzles a bit different too.
All in all, one of those games to just have to have.

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Jul 20, 11 4:30 PM
I agree with what TimeKilla said, after the first 2 chapters the game went downhill.

Frankly this game isn't CE worthy, on the whole it isn't as polished as say a ERS or Vogat game. The artwork is average looking, not that nice or detailed (my native resolution is 1920X1200) compared to other CE.

After the first 2 chapters, each chapter seemed to be hastily put together: several hidden object scenes, some puzzles and a couple of inventory items. When I really like a game, I can try for an hour to figure out something but with this one, by the time I got to the 5th chapter, I kept looking at the strategy guide so that I could finish the game asap.

The bonus part was kinda boring like I described, best to wait for SE.

[Post New]by Jhenny739 on Jul 20, 11 7:56 PM
This is my first post but have to say I am not sure what Timekilla and Jawfish are referring to when they say the game falls after second chapter.. I remember correctly there are 2 **** in every level except the bonus content contains 4 HOs with one that I played twice but I think you guys are missing the point. The inventory item is well placed and useful in telling the story and some of the most beautiful art in the entire game is at 4th chapter Nazca lines. The caves look like they have been scuplted by gods or something and the ambience outside the caves takes me to peruvian landscape. The antarctica base is ugly but I dont think it is supposed to be pretty even though the room is really colorful where you find the girl in. This level also has one of the best **** scenes in the game I like the graphics which is very detailed and accurate for each area. I played it on my 23' monitor and looks so great to me. Sorry guys the story is really interesting and it does end a little quick but cause I want to find out more about UFOs. I only wish I saw more real videos about UFOs cause there are so many if you look at the internet. Really cool game!

Jenoli
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Jenoli on Jul 21, 11 1:19 AM
I do't usually buy CEs but I have bought this one. It is such a welcome change from the dark games we so often get. The graphics are good and the **** scenes are a bit more of a challenge than some games. I agree with all Jhenny739 has said. I think all the chapters I have done so far have been a real challenge - I have just finished chapter 3. Buy it - it is worth CE price!

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jul 21, 11 3:28 AM
Maybe it was just me, but what an awful game..........The story tried to give you some educational insight but really fell flat on it's face with trying to make it into a game. The play was jerky, story was lame, and a total waste of the monies as far as I am concerned. Worst game I have played thus far!

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Jul 21, 11 11:01 AM
This game was a mix of good, bad and really bad. It is the kind of game that you play and wonder a couple of things about the development team:

1- Did they ever read reviews of any similar games to see what players say they really hate about game design before they went to work to develop a game?
2- Does the deadline for getting a game rolled out appear at random with no advance warning?
3 - Do multiple artists and designers work on a game together without ever having a meeting to check for overall consistency and quality?

These questions come to mind based on the following:

1 - The click penalty - screen shaking and swirling cursor - was absolutely the most horrible thing I have ever seen in a game of this type - it actually made me nauseous and gave me a migraine - I suspect it would trigger seizures in some people. Also - the length of the hint timer was the most ridiculous thing I have ever experienced. Maybe if the various puzzles I was trying to skip towards the end of the game were not so frustratingly repetitive and boring, I would not have noticed.

2- The game took an abrupt turn for the worse slightly over half-way through, at which point it was obvious that the designers either did not have the time or interest to produce a quality product.

3- The artwork and game play was polished and of high quality in parts (primarily the beginning), and extremely poor in other sections (about halfway through and including the bonus) - as if you suddenly found yourself in another game drawn and designed by amateurs. The story had interesting background information, but was put together incoherently.

In terms of a CE, well, please read the above comments. Also - what do I want concept and character art for, if the game is not set up for me to use as wallpaper? In terms of length, the game was fairly long - I was glad when it was over.

I have enjoyed previous games by these developers - in particular The Woman in White, although I seem to remember that also seemed to go downhill towards the end. Perhaps they should stick to their winning formula such as Amelia Earhart, which was way too short, but of overall good quality. Maybe they just run out of steam after a certain point in their development efforts.

In any event, l will read reviews before purchasing the next game by these developers to see if any improvements have been made. Overall, a disappointment.

Go to: