bonniesgrandma
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

Re:Haunted Hotel 2 - Believe The Lies

[Post New]by bonniesgrandma on Jan 3, 09 1:36 AM
I couldnt play it at first so I went on tools on IE and changed some settings, and then it worked

Ynibor
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by Ynibor on Jan 3, 09 1:41 AM
Played the hour demo ... flew by ... love the game ... will buy even though don’t have a credit, will sneak into budget under ... hmmm ... I will think of something ... Thanks PCKILLER great job!!!!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 3, 09 1:50 AM
bonniesgrandma wrote:I couldnt play it at first so I went on tools on IE and changed some settings, and then it worked

What settings did you change?

Pckiller
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Pckiller on Jan 3, 09 1:57 AM
Hey guys, we are working on the described problems. And we are trying to locate and fix them. Possibly it has something to do with the protection. Cause none of our testers run into described problems.

Thank you all for feedback and comments!

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Jan 3, 09 2:02 AM
I'm having problems with the cursor (hit and miss if its visible, and when it is it flickers, and occasionally has a box round it), even if I turn 3D hardware off (no specific 'custom cursor' option). Unfortunately, I can't even toggle to windowed mode (the usual fix for this) - it did at first, but now its refusing to switch, telling me my screen resolution isn't high enough for windowed (1280x800 - which may not be perfect, but if i hide the taskbar, i can move the window enough to see the screen perfectly, so not sure why they're complaining).

Looks like it could be a fun game, but at this rate I'm going to have to just call it a wash-out

PS. What's with this insistence on only ever having profile names of 7 characters, or less - never mind those games which don't allow a hyphen, but with this game (as some others) i end up having to be 'AnnMari' .... personally, I'd rather name my profile correctly - Ann-Marie (or Elkestra if need be, but even that is 8 letters)

Edited on 01/03/2009 at 2:15:28 AM PST

shuttlegrannyjo
Catfish
Catfish
1,575 Posts

[Post New]by shuttlegrannyjo on Jan 3, 09 2:10 AM
Played the demo with no problems and really enjoyed it....couldn't believe it when my time was up!

Great game!

Definitely will buy it next time I get my credit (gotta wait til next month coz I already used this one )

Awesome job!

[Post New]by kos_malakhov on Jan 3, 09 2:27 AM
Hi everyone.
I'm another member of Specialbit and was also developing this game. One of the parts under my control was the story.
So I really want to hear your opinions about the story, questions perhaps.
First a little explanation:
Maybe some of people think that make a good story for casual game is simple - because game is simple so we can not to worry about detail characters etc.
But in real we have opposite situation. For the first Haunted Hotel I wrote short story,but with details and characters. Parts(not the whole one) you can see on
story screens between the levels.So we have a real story and we have to cut it and modify to fit casual game format. But I must admit that casual games in Adventure genre
is growing and developers can allow themselves to pay more attention to the story (like Return to Ravenhearst). Haunted Hotel 2 atmosphere was partially inspired by some TV series.
We took a style of storytelling from them.So sometimes its not really correct to compare,for example, Return to Ravenhearst and Haunted Hotel games.Both games tells the story in its own
individual way. Sometimes these ways are totally different,despite they are both HO/Adventure games.
On the other hand,now the player have to (and I hope they will love it) pay attention to some details,movies and other things

I really waiting for your comments and hope we can discuss everything, especially the end :-). Everyone who completed the game will understand what I'm talking about ;-)

shuttlegrannyjo
Catfish
Catfish
1,575 Posts

[Post New]by shuttlegrannyjo on Jan 3, 09 2:58 AM
Hi, kos_malakhov!

Welcome to the pond!

I only demo-ed this game and won't be able to get it until next month.

Wish I could answer your inquiry, but I don't usually read the story while demo-ing unless the game forces me to (and then I won't buy the game) because that takes time away from playing the game, itself.
Once I own the game, tho, I will usually take time to read the story.
Even tho I know that's not going to help you right now...maybe I can let you know what I think about it at a later date.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 3, 09 2:59 AM
Really enjoying this, have purchased (did so after 1/2 hour of the demo) and have had no issues running it *except* twice now, once in the hunters room and once in the garge, when I went into the puzzle the screen just went black with the music playing. I waited, nothing happened, I hit the windows key to do task manager to see if still running, it said it was, popped back in and after a beat the puzzle came up without incident. Perhaps I am not waiting long enough for it to load or something and windowing out is just using the time necessary rather than actually causing something to happen. *shrug*

I am running XP, SP3, 2.15 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP, RADEON X1650 PRO Video Card, 2 gigabytes of memory.

As for the story line, um, there doesn't seem to be much of one at all? Ok, so we got a FBI guy investigating a hotel, there's a hacker feeding a professor info and then... well it just hasn't gone anywhere. Why did the guy fix the car? It wasn't his car, why did he need it to drive to the woods? So the boiler room has a security badge, who's badge? In the one room the FBI guy says "Our Room" and there's women's things, but that's not explained (maybe later?) I don't know, so far I find the story lacking, sorry, or more just not there. I like stories in my games (tho many don't care abt them) and always read them and loved the pages of the first. Ok, maybe a few less pages? I have just now gotten to the boiler shed, so unsure how far I've progressed. Maybe the story will pick up?

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 3, 09 3:07 AM
Oh, and by the way, I really really really (and that's a lot of really ) appreciate you guys from the developement team being here for this launch. That ROCKS! It's a very good game, an improvement on the first (which I also bought and enjoyed, but this is better) and I knew almost immeadiately I would buy because I like to support good work.

Looking forward to finishing it, but wanted to pause and give it the patented Poodle Salute.

[Post New]by kos_malakhov on Jan 3, 09 3:11 AM
Poodlebear wrote:
As for the story line, um, there doesn't seem to be much of one at all? Ok, so we got a FBI guy investigating a hotel, there's a hacker feeding a professor info and then... well it just hasn't gone anywhere. Why did the guy fix the car? It wasn't his car, why did he need it to drive to the woods? So the boiler room has a security badge, who's badge? In the one room the FBI guy says "Our Room" and there's women's things, but that's not explained (maybe later?) I don't know, so far I find the story lacking, sorry, or more just not there. I like stories in my games (tho many don't care abt them) and always read them and loved the pages of the first. Ok, maybe a few less pages? I have just now gotten to the boiler shed, so unsure how far I've progressed. Maybe the story will pick up?

First of all another explanation:
Yes, HH2 has its own story and you can play it without need to play HH1 before and enjoy the game. But,if you want to get deepin story you have to play HH1.
FBI agent is coming to the Hotel “Lonely Dream”. In the intro movie we are saying that about a year has gone since agent started his investigation about this disappearing hotel. His investigation has led him to the current hotel. So he is already knows, that he should look not only for certain people, but for strange rooms, priest, and some machines. The game begins with his arrival to the hotel.
As I see you got a little bit confused - why the line is so simple and what badge and other things are doing in the rooms - its great,thats expected reaction.Play further and you'll understand a lot I hope.If not - PM me and I'll tell you.
As for car - agent is trying to be unnoticed,so he decides to take Hotel's car.Noone will pay attention to it while its amoving across hotel's territory
Woman's things - thats a kind of joke of our artists)

shuttlegrannyjo
Catfish
Catfish
1,575 Posts

[Post New]by shuttlegrannyjo on Jan 3, 09 4:03 AM
Bumping so that others might answer your inquiries.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jan 3, 09 4:37 AM
I was so hoping..... sigh. I got bored with this one about half way through. Never finished the demo. Good game for beginners I think.

Too many HO's to find in one scene makes it tedious.
Mini games were too easy.
Continuous "in your face" instructions were not needed (for me anyway).
Sound effects were kind of weird & usually didn't fit the scene.
I had to turn off the graphic acceleration mode for the graphics to look right.
The whole atmosphere of the game was not "haunting" or intriguing to me.

Sorry, not one I will buy.

BIRDRED
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by BIRDRED on Jan 3, 09 4:37 AM
im already in trouble how do you open the silver box and ive used the pencil on the register to no avail HOW!!!!!

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jan 3, 09 4:45 AM
BIRDRED wrote: im already in trouble how do you open the silver box and ive used the pencil on the register to no avail HOW!!!!!

I just clicked on it and it opened after I did the pencil thing. You need to just click the pencil on the register. I thought "rubbing" was involved, but no.

Edited on 01/03/2009 at 4:47:47 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 3, 09 4:49 AM
Welcome to the Pond Kos_Malakhov

Like Poodlebear I enjoy the story too so, until I can find out why I can't play HH2, I am going to go and replay HH1 because I enjoyed it last time (just hope my arthritis is still up to "entering the lift/elevator" LOL)

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jan 3, 09 5:10 AM
I enjoyed the first game very much so I bought this one without trying and am not disappointed. It's a good game in the traditional HO style for the most part. Like the first game, there are some hot spots to click on but in this game you must find all the HOs first. Missing are the Bonus, silhouette items that the first game had. Missing too (at least so far, I haven't played long) are the hallways with more than one door to choose from. I have also not seen an elevator yet (may be one later). The rooms have lots of objects to look through but they seem to fit the locations pretty well. Only a few too tiny items.

What I didn't like: For me (could be my computer?) the music is a bit jerky, coming in fits and starts. I find some of the background noises annoying. Yes, there is less to read but, the comments that appear at the bottom of the screen don't last long enough. OTOH, what I missed could be read in the journal.

I can't say one way or another about the storyline. It will develop as I go along.

Something New is the acquiring of inventory items to be used "later". I haven't really seen a need for these as we have the hot spots to click on. Although the items are used on or in those spots, there just really seems no point to them and they could have been omitted without damage to the gameplay. OTOH, having inventory items seems to be the trend these days, almost a Must, and players look for them in HOs now.

Many thanks to BF and the game developers and designers! I expect to continue to enjoy this for a while

[Post New]by kos_malakhov on Jan 3, 09 5:35 AM
Thanks everyone for comments
For everyone who read the story - after (or even before) completing the game try to think why the sequel is called "Believe the Lies"

Waiting for most of people to finish the game so I can discus with you the story and answer some your questions. Because some things and texts were cut during development and I don't want to publish them now to not spoiler

In this game we tried to bring you the new experience thats why we dont have repeating rooms or hallways. Game's flow tries to drive you through the story and its locations along with FBI agent. Yes,Inventory was made because its popular now and we trying to bring the best for our player. Our team is always working on new ideas and projects and considering the period of developing we should think far ahead about gameplay (for example it was only few good adventure games with inventory when we started to plan HH2)

Edited on 01/03/2009 at 5:40:57 AM PST

LUVSYABABE
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by LUVSYABABE on Jan 3, 09 6:37 AM
I also played the hour demo it played no problems so I decided to buy it but now I am getting a error message....ERROR; Access violation at 0x00401AD0(tried to read from 0x00000000) program terminated. I have tried a couple of times but all I get is the error message

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Jan 3, 09 6:45 AM
Sounds like a wonderful game (enjoyed the intro, and the look of the first room)... but since I can't see the cursor (see earlier post), I'm not going to be able to play, or read the storyline.

Thanks for looking in on us, Kos. Hopefully, I'll at least be able to enjoy discovering the story here - even if I can't discover it first hand.

Edited on 01/03/2009 at 6:54:18 AM PST

Go to: