rentonwa
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,075 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightmare Realm

[Post New]by rentonwa on Jul 30, 11 9:08 PM
What a great game! I must have missed it when the CE came out, but I liked the regular version. I was sad when I finished - I could have gone on and on with this game. Thanks for creating it, developers

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on Jul 30, 11 9:19 PM
PuzzleDone. I think the answer to the GM is here http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/show/2156.page in one of the top two threads. (lots of pages! :-( ) I think I read you only have to have IE 6 or greater and it does NOT have to be your default browser.

Thanks everyone for such quick reviews! I am certainly going to purchase this one. Can't wait.

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Aug 1, 11 10:22 AM
After a technical glich I was finally able to finish this game. I loved it!

Ge0rgs
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Ge0rgs on Aug 1, 11 5:17 PM
Just finished this one and highly recommend it.I give it 10 out of 10

hendicky
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by hendicky on Aug 1, 11 11:36 PM
I was a bit put off by the opening part of the game when I tried the CE, but tried for longer onthe SE and then realised what a great game it is.
Loved it all, the graphics were sooo pretty, and the length of the game made it wel worth a buy.
Would recommend this to anyone.
Thatll teach me not to judge a game too early!

cleep100
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by cleep100 on Aug 3, 11 12:46 AM
I thought the long opening sequence was well-done and spooky! I sat back and got ready for an engrossing game.

Unfortunately, that was not to be the case. The storyline was weakly developed, the required actions often had little or nothing to do with what story there was, inventory items became available in an illogical order, and things just didn't hang together in an interesting way.

I have to say I did like the mini-puzzles, as they were not frustrating but did require a little thinking.

I've recently played a couple of games with strong storylines and cohesion, so this one suffered in comparison. I even object to the game's title, since, although the subject matter may be disturbing to some, it had nothing to do with nightmares.

I have to give this one a thumb's down.

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Aug 4, 11 7:56 AM
cleep100 wrote:I even object to the game's title, since, although the subject matter may be disturbing to some, it had nothing to do with nightmares.

The majority of the game takes place inside the young girl's dreams, which her mother and uncle are able to enter. This dreamworld has been taken over by sinister forces that have snatched the child away and twisted her dreams into nightmares.

[Post New]by jfuehrer1 on Aug 5, 11 12:32 PM
I have been a member and purchasing games for many years and never before have I felt compelled to review a game.

I purchased this one with a Game Club Credit after reading the first page or two of reviews all of which seemed glowing. I just finished the game and while I can agree that the graphics and sound quality were very good and the game was beautifully done in those regards I have to say I have never been more disappointed in a story line and game ending!

I am completely baffled as to why no one mentioned this shortcoming in any of the reviews I read. Maybe they played only the demo before purchasing and that was what the reviews were based on...I'm not sure.

I only know that this was the first game by this particular company I've ever purchased and I will be extremely careful in the future about spending any money on any of their creations.

One of the dumbest story lines I've seen yet in any game.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Aug 7, 11 8:11 AM
Well I thought this game was AWESOME and so UNIQUE, and just a breath of fresh air, with so much to do, and the BEST game play EVER, it is up there as one of my all time favorite, games to play !!!!
Are you kidding me, the originality these developers used in the mini games, graphics, artwork, the entire game for that matter, just blew my mind, this game should win an award, on artistry alone, not to mention the MOST fun and exciting game play, I've found in a long time.
Talk about INTERACTION in an H0 game, this had a TON of it, which made this gem go above and beyond, in the game play factor .
Making the potion for the factory master, is just one example, so COOL, carving the wooden head, and the interaction at the witch doctor's, were you needed to make something, not to give to much away, these were some of my fav's.
AND the GRAPHICS were positively stunning, through out the entire game, some of the best I've seen, loved watching the flowers bloom, at the witch doctors area, the beauty just took my breath away, I could have stayed there forever..lol.
Also kudo's to the developers, for making the collected items, automatically go into your inventory, they came up into a box first, so you could see what you were collecting, but you didn't have to than, click on the box to get the item, like in other games, so this made it even more enjoyable to play .
I also liked collecting the origami, REALLY wish I could have been able to afford the CE, of this game, so I could of gotten the extra game play, from collecting them..SO SAD :-(.....its not often I find a game, that I enjoy playing, as much as I did this one .
The STORY, well the story was SUPERB, it had me completely absorbed, and again, very original with the extractors and how it tied in the father, very well done from beginning to end, and I thought the ending was good, don't want to go into details, for others who haven't finished it yet.
The game also had a decent length, would I have liked it to be longer, of course, only because I LOVED playing it so much.
There was nothing about this game that I didn't like, so I would like to THANK the DEVELOPERS for a PERFECT game, it gets and a ..all of your hard work paid off on this one, it shows in every aspect, of this game.
Waiting for test results, to see if I have suspected Lymphoma, game has been priceless

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Aug 7, 11 3:04 PM
............what an absolutely darling, imaginative game that I thoroughly enjoyed. This is the second time in a month that I was lucky enough to buy a SE that had all the detail usually found in CE's. Outstanding artwork/graphics [loved when the scenery changes to look like a lush valley with vibrant colors everywhere!! ] Liked the duality of "through-the-looking-glass" theme, and really, really liked gathering all the things to put in the potion for the Factory Owner......mixing them in the fantastic machine. Puzzles were fun, and I managed to collect 30 of the 33 origami [although I think the "bonus" is only in the CE]........some of them didn't even look like origami figures . A great homage to Big Fish at the end when Emily's gift is finally opened, and sweet pocket dragon........just dig the extra attention to details!! Recommend this one for those with a sense of fantasy........... ......... ....... ...........

Edited on 08/07/2011 at 3:06:39 PM PST

[Post New]by astwere on Aug 9, 11 1:14 AM
Best game ever!

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Aug 9, 11 11:52 AM
What a beautiful and innovative game! Graphics, colours and animation were all first class as was the storyline and places to visit. Being picky, I would have liked instructions with the mini-games and why, oh why, did the witchdoctor have to look so miserable? LOL

Many thanks and more of the same please.

Tootlestwo
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Tootlestwo on Aug 9, 11 7:58 PM
I didn't not even know this was a CE and was glad that I read the reviews before I bought it. I have been saving 2 for a good game and I guess this looks like its the one! Thanks for all the good reviews fishies

ASForbes
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightmare Realm - SPOILER ALERT!!

[Post New]by ASForbes on Aug 10, 11 3:11 PM
I just finished the game today. Restarted it immediately cause I didn't collect all the Origami. I liked the ending, but maybe it's because I'm a sucker for a semi-happy ending (the father is still dead after all). Beautiful graphics. This one is definitely a keeper!

Edited on 08/11/2011 at 3:06:32 PM PST

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Aug 12, 11 2:08 PM
Poem123 wrote:
cleep100 wrote:I even object to the game's title, since, although the subject matter may be disturbing to some, it had nothing to do with nightmares.

The majority of the game takes place inside the young girl's dreams, which her mother and uncle are able to enter. This dreamworld has been taken over by sinister forces that have snatched the child away and twisted her dreams into nightmares.

I still don't think the word "nightmare" applies. I saw nothing nightmarish about it.

The strategy guide became unavailalbe or ran out or whatever before the demo ended. I would think that it would be available for the entire demo.

I thought that this was a very boring game. The graphics weren't impressive and certainly didn't warrant the term "nightmare." It was more fantasy than nightmare but I have seen more interesting fantasy graphics in other games.

The demo did not make me feel that I wanted more. When a trial version gets close to ending and I am desperately trying to get farther into a game before I run out of time, that is the sign that I want the full game. I did not get this here.

This one is a no-buy for me

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Aug 15, 11 6:24 PM
astwere wrote:Best game ever!
Before you make that pronouncement, I suggest you try Dire Grove or any of the truly great great games.

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Aug 17, 11 5:51 PM
The demo for this game was waiting in line. Gave it a shot today. Lasted about 15 minutes before pulling the plug. Shoddy design. Shoddy graphics. Shoddy interface.

What's more to say?

Seeing as I'm not going to buy this game, and I'm assuming the demo is representative of the game's style, I grade this game a D.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Aug 21, 11 11:50 AM
Stupid. Overtly obvious that it's a Drawn wannabee, and it fails, imo. Slow load time between scenes and too many movie clips throughout. Too easy, clunky and I just didn't like it.

Couldn't even get through the demo.

My opinions only. Yours will vary.

[Post New]by bobintrouble on Sep 4, 11 6:26 AM
This is the first time I have ever posted a review for a game and I have bought and played hundreds (sad I know) but this game is superb, the puzzles are fun, graphics brilliant and story touching. Loved everything about it.

[Post New]by nellyandjohnny on Sep 5, 11 2:10 PM
Really LOVED this game! I love adventure games where HOG's/IHOG's don't dominate and this one is perfect. Great story (even got a bit weepy at the end) and lovely clear graphics. One I will definitely play again!

Go to: