CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

Re:Reviews for Sacra Terra: Angelic Night Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Jul 31, 11 10:18 PM
This is a first class game from the get-go. Great graphics, un-annoying music/sound effects. Puzzles look to be challenging but not so difficult that you would stop playing the game and pout (something I've been known to do...)

A definite buy for me - just have to wait till August 1. What time is it now in Seattle?

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Jul 31, 11 10:23 PM
CynthiaV wrote:This is a first class game from the get-go. Great graphics, un-annoying music/sound effects. Puzzles look to be challenging but not so difficult that you would stop playing the game and pout (something I've been known to do...)

A definite buy for me - just have to wait till August 1. What time is it now in Seattle?

Does it have to be midnight in Seattle? Or midnight where we are? I'm hanging out waiting to buy this game and also the incredible Macabre Mysteries Curse of the NIghtingale CE.

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on Jul 31, 11 11:29 PM
Just played the demo and brought the game. Lovely and dark, just my thing. And while the haunted hospital/sanatorium has been done to death, I personally still enjoy games set in those places.
So far there is a nice collection of varied puzzles, although they do seem very easy. I only hope they get harder the further into the game we go.
I like the collection items that you need to find.
The art and animation are beautiful, as beautiful as can be in such a dark game.
The **** scenes are somewhat interactive, which makes a nice change from just find things.
The music, as usual is turned down but the sounds effects and such are lovely. The voice acting seems decent, though I haven't seen/heard too much of it so far.

The only thing I'm annoyed at is how slow the game play seems to be. Maybe it's just my puter, but moving and clicking things takes a few seconds for it to register. I've clicked the same item more than once to highlight to use. I've turned off the custom cursor as I usually do with these games but it hasn't made much difference. Odd, but I guess it will make the game longer for me than it normally would. ~rolls eyes~

Finally, two CEs (this and Macabre Mysteries Curse of the NIghtingale) that are worth buying and have decent game play. Kinda sad it's taken weeks for some good games to come out, but at the same time, it makes the wait all worth the while and I'm sure we've all saved some $$ because of all the cruddy games that have been released lately.

Great game so far, definite buy if you like dark creepy games. And now, back to playing the darn slow thing. ~laughs~

je_peche
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by je_peche on Aug 1, 11 12:29 AM
This was definitely one of the best games I've played in while!

Everything was well-done - the graphics, music, storyline, length - this game gives you a lot of bang for your buck! good balance of adventure, mini-game and H0s, and the cut-aways are flawless! Props to the DEVs and thanks to BF - provided me with a great sunday afternoon activity - sitting on my **** and playing an awesome game!!

I give it !!!

--Pam

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 1, 11 12:38 AM
Alawar`s new game was excellent. At first, I was in doubt whether I would like it, because the game started out in a dreary, cluttered and dirty asylum-style hospital, and I have played enough of those games lately. But I was glad to see that not the whole game consisted of just those scenes.

The graphics are well done, and the gameplay and puzzles, which were often different from what we usually get, were fun and entertaining.

There are 42 morphing items you can also find, although for me they have lost their excitement. I rather just concentrate on the story itself, which was really great.

You can choose custom or system cursor, and since your character is the only person in the game, there is no need for voice-over.

There is also a map, which you can use to see where you still have something left to do. Alas, you can`t use this map to jump from place to place. That was the only thing I didn`t like so much, because there is quite a bit of running around to do.

There are lots of different things to do and find, and the H0 scenes were well done - not too hard, but not too easy either - and each scene has a unique item that requires an extra step to complete before you can get it.

I can`t say how long the main game was (I played the game over 2 days), but the game is definitely long enough, and I never got bored.

The bonus game was very well done - won`t say what is included or it will spoil the surprise - and took me an hour to finish.

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Aug 1, 11 1:27 AM
I also played this game from the Developers site and was disappointed with the Bonus chapter. I did use the SG a few times, but a Walkthrough will surely be available without having to pay the extra price. No voiceovers and the Map is not interactive. Great game, but I'd rather wait for the SE.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Aug 1, 11 1:34 AM
Great game! The graphics, the storyline, the music and the ****'s were all good. I'd buy it , but it's a bit expensive for me right now. I will keep it on my wish list though.
Already marked it down. I would rate it a 9 out 10.

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Aug 1, 11 1:51 AM
admiral1133 wrote:....I am in the "extra" game and having fun, except I can not change the code numbers in the mortuary to see what is inside. Anyone have this problem, or can someone suggest what I could do so I could continue the game.

If I remember correctly there are two places where you need a code. SPOILER, highlight to view:

I think the one you are probably looking for is in the Operating Theatre. You have to use the defibrulator to charge the battery before the digital lock will work.

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Aug 1, 11 3:09 AM
This was a gorgeous game but guess I'm in a minority.. The objects were so hard to see, I have a headache now and it would've been nice to be able to use map to move- you don't really need it otherwise. There's a lot of back and forth(my sneakers worn out ) and hscenes don't really change much; puzzles are easy.
It just didn't grasp me until I was midway through (had to get all those morphing objects! ) ...then it was over. It was great that you could see videos after finishing though
I think maybe this reminded my of Anomalies, which I loved so maybe I'm biased.
Also might be playing too fast but it took me 5 hours to play + the bonus...which it was short, very confusing and left you going: "huh??" .Least I got my credit for this n FACES (loved that!...which also reminds me of this Anyways, I'm sure other fishes will enjoy it more than I

swissraven
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by swissraven on Aug 1, 11 3:40 AM
This is a fabulous game in every respect and the graphics are just breathtaking, five stars all the way!! Needless to say, it is a must have for me.

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Aug 1, 11 4:04 AM
This is my first post ever, but I absolutely loved this game. Had played demo on devs site about a week ago. was happy when I was able to get the game on BF yesterday. One of the best games I have ever played.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 1, 11 6:49 AM
Wonderful game! Beautiful graphics, intriguing storyline, lots to do and find, plenty of running back and forth (apparently in my nightshirt!) and a hero rather than a heroine for a change.

Overuse of the same hidden object scenes spoiled it; one after another in some cases which for me is just boring. Spreading them out a bit more would have made this game perfect.

The theme is perhaps one that many will not like, however it's a game, not real life. And if the developer felt it wasn't spoiling the game to list the morphing objects as one of the highlights, then posting about it in the forum hardly matters.

LadyWyntre
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by LadyWyntre on Aug 1, 11 7:01 AM
Good game. I had two minor questions/issues related to the plot and one thing that the game did that I liked, but let me be clear that the game was well done. I like asylums *and* demons! Yay.

Spoiler alert:
My first issue: the character was male. Why? Bah. Many of these games do a great job of the main character being gender-neutral, and that would've been nice here.

Second, bigger issue: your character wonders why he (grr) is in the asylum. This question is never answered. That is irritating.

One thing I liked: many of these games ask for my name. It was refreshing to see, even briefly, my name in the game. I liked that. A lot. It's such a tiny thing, but it adds *tons* to the immersive factor. Why do you ask me my name and then tell me it's Susan? It isn't Susan. (Of course, that's what made the gender thing all the more jarring; I tell it my name is Elizabeth, see it in the game, and then I find I have 5 o'clock shadow?).

Now I must weigh in on the morphing objects debate:
kdubs wrote:As to the side topic of mentioning "beyond" items aka morphing items, I knew I had read about morphing objects before this even came to BFG. Yep, there it was right there on dev's site, 1 of 5 Key Features they listed for the game: * 42 morphing objects to find. [emphasis mine]

They apparently didn't feel it was a spoiler. Now off to play.

kdubs for the win.

I'm sorry, but the idea that there are morphing objects is a spoiler?! Ridiculous. Might as well say "this is a hidden object game" is a spoiler. Personally, if there are morphing objects, I want to know from the first moment. I find it irritating to get halfway through a game and THEN realize there are morphing objects. Do I go back and try to find *all* the others? Are some of them in now-inaccessible locations? Like everyone else, I don't want *plot* spoilers, which is traditionally what "spoiler alert" means. Urban dictionary has a great definition of spoiler alert: "1. A spoiler alert is where someone gives away the main plot or turning point in a movie, book, show, etc." Plot. Hint: "This is a movie!" is also not a spoiler.

Why does this matter? Because if people begin "spoiler alert"ing *everything*, then there's no way to know which are gameplay details (which many want to read in a review) vs. which are plot details (which few want to read in a review).

To sum up: "You will have to find objects" =/= spoiler.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Aug 1, 11 8:40 AM
LadyWyntre wrote:
I'm sorry, but the idea that there are morphing objects is a spoiler?! Ridiculous. Might as well say "this is a hidden object game" is a spoiler. Personally, if there are morphing objects, I want to know from the first moment. I find it irritating to get halfway through a game and THEN realize there are morphing objects. Do I go back and try to find *all* the others? Are some of them in now-inaccessible locations? Like everyone else, I don't want *plot* spoilers, which is traditionally what "spoiler alert" means. Urban dictionary has a great definition of spoiler alert: "1. A spoiler alert is where someone gives away the main plot or turning point in a movie, book, show, etc." Plot. Hint: "This is a movie!" is also not a spoiler.

Why does this matter? Because if people begin "spoiler alert"ing *everything*, then there's no way to know which are gameplay details (which many want to read in a review) vs. which are plot details (which few want to read in a review).

To sum up: "You will have to find objects" =/= spoiler.

OK......(Can I have a drum roll please) "brrrrrdddrrrrddDRRr"
The walkthrough is available to provide details of the gameplay; so that the player can determine if there are things there they may miss (as you say it irritates you; to not know of the presence of specific things). A review is for the critique/evaluation of a game, but not to provide gameplay details. To say H0G games require you to find hidden objects is a description of the game genre, but does not give details of the specific gameplay. There are big differences in a "review" of the workings of a game, a description of the game's genre, and giving gameplay details. "ba-dum-TSH"
I'm not sure why this is soooooooooooo difficult to grasp. When providing gameplay details, a spoiler should be noted, it's the right thing to do, it's courteous to those that have not played the game. Despite personal preferences, here within the BFG forums, at the beginning of each thread, it requests we all do so .

Carolest
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by Carolest on Aug 1, 11 9:16 AM
I just adore this game, it's brilliant!
The scenes are clear, and detailed. The story is gripping, the HOGS are fantastic. I just cannot fault this game, it's one of the BEST I've ever played, and I'm still in the middle of it.
I love games where you give yourself a break and say "right, no more for tonight" but then your brain keeps niggling to go back and play.

I think the developers of this game should be very proud of their work! Well done, you've done a brilliant job!

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Aug 1, 11 9:54 AM
Gotta use a four letter word for this game - COOL. Fab intro, (altho you do momentarily think - hello another asylum/demon/possessed child game). But this goes beyond that. Easy enough to follow where you are supposed to go and what to do. Map - love having those for when I get stuck. **** scenes, not too tricky altho I did have to use the hint sometimes, but mostly because I don't have the patience to search for things when I just want to get on with the game. Two play modes - perfect. Text, not voiceover - just how I like it. Puzzles a little on the easy side even in expert mode, at least as far as I have gone which is the demo.
The tricky thing now is, which games to buy this month? Thought I had my decision made then this came out - rats!

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on Aug 1, 11 12:13 PM
I guess I will be in the minority also. My biggest complaint, after the constant retracing of my steps to use an item I just found but needed 4 or 5 screens back, was the custom cursor. I usually like to stick with the cursor the developers put in the game, but this one was kinda hard to control and floated around on its own. One last gripe was the trickiness of the down arrow to exit a screen. It was hard to locate and was almost on top of the inventory box. The uncontrollable custom cursor and the back arrow being difficult to find and hold onto are frequent complaints, so they almost aren't even complaints. Apparently the developers are aware of the problems and choose to continue to build the games with those two flaws in them. I guess you either live with them or don't buy the game.

I wasn't aware the 42 hidden items were morphing. I just happened to get a hand on one of them and picked it up almost accidentally.

It looks like it will be a nice long game, with lots of extra things to do to extend the length of play (the 42 morphing items), so I will definitely consider it when it comes out in SE. I just don't think it is good enough to pay the CE price for it. Just my opinion, of course. Those of you who did consider it worth the extra $ -- Enjoy!!
I will enjoy it later.

Blitzmiz
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Blitzmiz on Aug 1, 11 12:38 PM
I enjoyed this game - there was a cohesive plot (which so many games just don't have), excellent graphics and a good flow through the game. My only quibble - would have preferred less click-backs and more challenging puzzles. The game was a bit on the easy side - don't think it would really be necessary to refer to the guide unless a new gamer. Some explanation or story about why Angel had returned to help our hero out would have been welcome - she kind of just floated about looking bright. Excellent and genuinely spooky sound effects added to the atmosphere of the game, and the music was good without being too "in your face", repetitive or annoying as some are (e.g. the otherwise excellent Joyville series). Some CEs are a bit disappointing for the money, but this one kept me entertained for about 5 hours all the way through.

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Aug 1, 11 3:55 PM
What a good game.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Aug 1, 11 5:26 PM
spiritdog51 wrote:Who ever heard of a nose sucker?

i was surprised to see it actually called that because that's what my niece called it when she was a toddler and we were having to use one on her... the correct term is nasal aspirator and they can be found in your local drugstore

as for my review, i find the game a very interesting piece of work... there are a number of ideas and ideals battling it out here, and i think that gives the game a more 'human' feel although it's very much steeped in fantasy with a side of religion... lots going on and plenty of things to make you go "eek," "hmm," and "huh?"

the graphics are top notch - beautiful with a touch of grunge - and the scenes mostly well-lit... the background music, ambient sounds, and 'cinema-esque' cut scenes show brilliant showmanship from the folks at Alawar who never cease to amaze me

i have yet to finish the game, but am definitely looking forward to that long good night as i meander through these abandoned halls and not so hallowed grounds... yes, that good...

Go to: