Reviews for Art Mogul

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

Re:Reviews for Art Mogul

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Aug 3, 11 3:04 PM
Hey everybody,

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has been reserved for reviews for Art Mogul only.

If you have a question about the game or are stuck somewhere, please click on the 'Create New Discussion' button on the main page of the Art Mogul Forum and start a new thread.

Thanks,

-bfgHondo

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Aug 3, 11 3:43 PM
FunIt wrote:
maryerbe wrote:hello,well i havent played the game yet because i always come here first to see every one elses reviews,That is what this Thread is right?I really dont want to read about how much you think Bigfish is doing a bad job or your going to Cancel your Membership ,im pretty sure there is some where else you can write that or complain ,As far as i knew this is for comments about the game you just played .thank you sorry but i happen to like it here very much and Bigfish is doing a great job .Have a nice Day

Yeah, right. I want to read reviews as well, and not if someone has or hasn't played the game. Most people in this thread have at least tried the game and are expressing an opinion. You're the one who is NOT commenting on the game.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Funny to me.

[Post New]by Kikiperpie on Aug 3, 11 3:49 PM
I have to say I am an avid fan of the Chocolatier games but I'm not sure about this one. Not sure if it's just the opening map but the range of places to visit (including those locked initially) seems fairly limited. Perhaps things get more interesting once you buy your own gallery. I found the game play entertaining enough and at least a little different (all the recent horror genre HOGs have been a little overkill) and I may purhase if on sale or with a punchcard credit. I agree that the switching between STD pictures was annoying but perhaps this was the challenge. Pictures were beautiful and not just the run of the mill pieces of art. It's a maybe swaying towards I probably will.

havasulady
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by havasulady on Aug 3, 11 5:20 PM
oasis53 wrote:whoa...what a bunch of garbage...definately not a **** game...would not buy ...could not even get passed two minutes of the trial...
Sure hope Big Fish starts getting better **** games or I am cancelling my subscription...

No kidding! This has to be a "joke" on all members!
Anybody want to compare how long it has been since you bought a game from BFG? Membership gives you NO BENEFITS! Just lousy games or CE's.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 3, 11 6:20 PM
havasulady wrote:
oasis53 wrote:whoa...what a bunch of garbage...definately not a **** game...would not buy ...could not even get passed two minutes of the trial...
Sure hope Big Fish starts getting better **** games or I am cancelling my subscription...

No kidding! This has to be a "joke" on all members!
Anybody want to compare how long it has been since you bought a game from BFG? Membership gives you NO BENEFITS! Just lousy games or CE's.

This wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't what I want right now. May later.

As for BFG, I belong to 2 other game distributing membership clubs and sometimes I buy direct from the developer but my BFG membership is the best decision I have made in this area.

I appreciate the BFG way of delivering games, the general selection of games, the pricing and the great customer service.

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on Aug 3, 11 7:57 PM

I've only played the demo for a few minutes and I'm already hooked. A very good art-related game that appears to be somewhat similar to Chocolatier, Winemaker Extraordinaire and Rare Treasures: Dinnerware Trading Company. I happen to like strategy and simulation games, so this is right up my alley. I can really become engrossed in these simulation games. Nice job to whoever developed this game, and thanks to Big Fish for another "something different" for a change.

Edited on 08/03/2011 at 8:00:06 PM PST

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Aug 3, 11 8:49 PM
I never play or buy games that have frenzies or buying in them. That is not a game, that is a chore. Not for me.

kateinaz
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by kateinaz on Aug 3, 11 10:15 PM
hate timed games and tasks and dislike mogul games in general, but I like art and I like this game a lot. Imo, there's nothing confusing or frantic about it. There's some very mild time pressure in the auction parts, but it's no big. And I can't stand any kind of *pressure* from games. jmo

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Aug 3, 11 10:31 PM
I was hoping that this game would be one that I could really embrace. Although I can see that others may enjoy the unique aspects of the game, I quickly realized it was not for me. I do not in any way think it is a bad game, it just didn't strike a chord with me. I believe this may very well be one of those games that people either like or dislike without a lot of ambiguity of feelings. Despite it not being something I was looking for, I do appreciate seeing a strategy/HOG without a dark theme.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 4, 11 2:20 AM
snapnhiss wrote:There are a few of us that like find-the-difference games.

Exactly.

heatherington wrote:I lasted until I got to the first STD. How many times do we have to tell the developers that we don't like those things?

Well, you can speak for yourself but not for all of us. I know there are quite a few peeps here who don`t like the STDs, and I always wonder why.

I happen to like them, and think it`s a pity there aren`t more of them in the HOGs as part of the mini games.

I exited the game the moment I realised I wasn`t able to add my own profile name, but was forced to use the one that I call my computer.

Edited on 08/04/2011 at 6:31:37 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Aug 4, 11 8:59 AM
Still loving the game. See my initial post giving more of a run down review. I thought I'd just add that it is a long game for sure. Strategy is involved. So for those of us who enjoy strategy & art... ENJOY! So far I've made more then a million dollars!!! Just wish it was real!!!! LOL

Edited on 08/04/2011 at 8:59:40 AM PST

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Aug 4, 11 9:01 AM
This game is different from the norm. However, I became bored and didn't finish the demo time. It was fun in the beginning, but as time went on, it became a chore and not fun. Might reconsider if it becomes a DD.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Aug 4, 11 9:43 AM
I did not care for this game at all. I found the bidding and selling boring and having to find the same items over and over again did nothing for me. I did not like the "find the difference" games. I did not like the scrolling back and forth to view the picture or scene. I also did not quite get the whole concept. Guess I am not just not into this type of game. Oh well.

I will not be canceling my membership over this one type of game though. Some liked it, some did not. that's the way it goes sometimes. There are lots of other games that BF offers and I want to be able to take advantage of them.

Not a buy for me this time.

perrik
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by perrik on Aug 4, 11 10:28 AM
After playing 50 minutes of the demo, I bought this game. Tycoon-type games don't come around often, and I was glad for the change of pace. It's not really on par with a true tycoon game, but it'll do for now.

I'm not a big fan of spot-the-difference games, especially when you can only flip back and forth between the two pictures, but so far it seems to be optional to play those mini-games unless you're going for certain achievements.

The one bit I don't like is the auction. It requires both a quick eye and quick reflexes, and then a quick mouse or trackpad. If you're too slow you can still win the auctions, but you'll pay too much for the artwork. My laptop has a touchpad; once I plugged in a mouse, the auction games were a bit easier to play. Still, the auctions are frantic sessions within an otherwise untimed, restful game - and are too important to be avoided.

There is some strategy involved in selling the artwork, if you want to get the highest selling price, but otherwise it's not much of an intellectual exercise. Well, it's summer and too hot to think anyway...

unanymous
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by unanymous on Aug 4, 11 11:11 AM
After adding my rant on another thread to so many others' about the increasing technical issues on some of the recent games lately from BF, I just HAD to express my delight with THIS game! It is infinitely playable and enjoyable, especially for art lovers. I disagree with others who have posted that this is not really a HOG: every time you want to buy a painting, or bid on one, you have to find the hidden objects in ALL of the offered paintings first. And, for those who don't like STDs, you can decide just not to visit the cafes and play only the **** parts--the more auction requests you go after, the more HOs you get to look for! Similar to accomplishing purchase goals in Chocolatier, this game offers hours of entertainment and awards for accomplishing goals. It plays for hours, and even when you've reached your goals, you have the option to continue playing, which extends the replayability factor tremendously.

For those of you who have indicated that there is not enough explanation, help, or instruction, I suggest that you give it another try and allow the tutorial to assist you at first and have a little patience with it, or use the telephone on the lower left corner for some explanations--this really helps, because the game has a different design than most others of this type. The only frustration I came across in the play is nonresponse to correct clicks or unrealistic time response expectations during the bidding. Other than that, a truly satisfying and enjoyable play. KUDOS, BF/developers!

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Aug 4, 11 1:01 PM
I demo-ed this game yesterday due to the comparisons to Chocolatier (I'm just desparate for a new one to come out!!) Chocolatier games use the "Shooting gallery" as an interior game, where Art Mogul uses object searches and "STD's" as interior games.
I found myself getting very frustrated from not remembering all the variations on the gameplay, where different paintings where, and, for that matter, where I was
One aspect of the game which I don't believe has been mentioned is the borrowing from banks. I was told in the tutorial that I had to borrow, but then totally forgot that I was supposed to repay the loan, so when I found myself out of money, I had no credit to borrow again!
Upon finishing the demo, I had decided not to buy, just because of being so frustrated. But what happened next really belongs to the various spooky, supernatural games we've been treated to. I dreamed about playing Art Mogul last night!! YES! REALLY! Now I figure since it's so entrenched in my subconscience, I have to have on my computer!!

[Post New]by Browneyegirl99 on Aug 5, 11 9:48 AM
I realize that plenty of people like HOG games. However, when it is an HOG game, it should be labeled as such. I, however, avoid them like the plague. C'mon, Bigfish, let's label the games accurately. Or at least give a two-game description - strategy/hidden object.

[Post New]by danweldy on Aug 8, 11 3:03 PM
FIVE Stars!

If you like art, I think you will love this game.

After only about 10 minutes I knew this was not your run of the mill hidden objects game. I purchased this long before the demo timer was up and just reached the end.
Plan a full weekend if you want to play this all the way through to the end. Yet by its design and with the large number of painting images to lend additional variety to the free form game play I am finding the replay value to be high. Worth the 6.99.

The difficulty varies with the task. Finding the defects in forgeries
can be challenging but you don't even have to attempt them.
That's one of the nicer aspects of this games design.
You have several methods available each with it's own play style
in order to acquire and sell your portfolio of paintings.

The paintings in Art Mogul are images of existing art.
Many are familiar to anyone who has ever taken an art history
class, yet there is a vast number of paintings that will be new
to you. In some ways this game is part art education.

Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did.

Edited on 08/08/2011 at 3:09:26 PM PST

Yetses
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by Yetses on Aug 9, 11 8:28 AM
Love the game -although maybe not as much as Chocolatier. The good thing is that they've tried to spice up the same old HOG game with strategy. I am definitely hooked.

[Post New]by MossyWoosy on Aug 10, 11 9:53 AM
It's kinda like an acquired taste of a game...but honestly I am enjoying it so far.

Not a lot of people are going to appreciate this kind of "HOG"/"Adventure" game, but it's interesting with all the painting I"m seeing, the weird strategies the game's focing me to make and the whole gameplay itself.

It's something different...though I highly recommend not to play it in just one sitting coz it could easily get tedious.

Go to: