Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 14, 11 1:36 PM
I have all the Hidden Expedition games and this one is the best. It does start where the other leaves off but this one is a lot better. I enjoy the different HOG's and how you go about finding them. Music and graphic's were stunning. Good going Big Fish.. Love it..

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 14, 11 2:36 PM
I must admit I have mixed emotions about this game. On one hand, the game is a winner except for the small (to my old eyes) items in the dim light. I would buy it, but BF has not put out a decent SE game since they started with the CE games. I have bought most (Actually I think all) of the CE games and enjoyed them. However, when a new SE game is released it is the modified CE games that I have already played. This leaves me with nothing to use my coupons on and nothing to play until the next CE game. If I buy it I continue the cycle, if I don't but it I have to wait weeks until I have a decent game to play. I may just have to bite the bullet and cease buying the CE games. After all, the only benefit is an extra chapter as I don't need the screensavers, music, sketches, etc.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Aug 14, 11 2:43 PM
Best game of the whole series - loved it!
Clever and innovative interactive puzzles.
Long game play 7-8 hours, good bonus.
Will keep this on my my GM to play again.
A 5 game that was worth the money.
(Much more entertaining than a 2 hr. movie and cheaper
when you consider driving/gas + coke/popcorn price.)

xxybcc
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by xxybcc on Aug 14, 11 2:44 PM
This is a great game. It ties in with the Bermuda Triangle one. I played for more than 4 hours, looked at the clock, and had to take a break. I was having so much playing the time went by without notice. Have fun everyone!

[Post New]by ilmacf on Aug 14, 11 3:46 PM
I think this is the BEST game that has come out in the last six months. LOVED IT!!

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Aug 14, 11 3:57 PM
Good game worth the money.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 14, 11 4:02 PM
This game was okay. I had purchased Titanic and really liked it, but this one has me on the fence. I really dislike hint buttons that don't give you hints...all it does is circle where you need to go next. I can usually figure out which step to take next, just I need a little help as to what I do when I get there! If you are not going to have a working, helpful, hint button, at least have a WT.

Otherwise, graphics nice, music okay, game play seems good, not sure about the story line. I did like the games. Very different. From what I have seen so far, I don't think this is worthy of a CE. I at least like to know how long a game is before I purchase, especially if it is a CE, and a WT helps with that. Need to think about this one for awhile. Will probably buy it if nothing better comes out in the next week or so.

Hey, is it just me, or does Undertow look a bit like Ice-T at first glance? I think it's the eyes.

Edited on 08/14/2011 at 4:04:59 PM PST

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Aug 14, 11 4:38 PM
I bought this game because I liked the previous ones but I'm actually a little sorry I did. I'm having a lot of difficulty with the match similar pairs. Things are very hard for me to see because of the start of cataracts and because the items are too small. Another small gripe I have is there is no reset buttons on the puzzles. I got hopelessly messed up on a slider and couldn't get it back to where I started to try a different tactic. After working on it for over half an hour I finally skipped it and feel like I could have done it if I'd been able to start over. Even leaving and coming back to it didn't start it over. I hate to skip puzzles that I know I can solve.

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Aug 14, 11 4:51 PM
I came back to say that I wish I hadn't purchased the CE. While the extra game time was okay at 1 hour versus the 3 hours of regular play (casual mode), the greatest portion of that was a puzzle that was ridiculous, almost impossible, if you have short term memory or visual memory limitations.

I still recommend the SE version. I loved the related pairs H0 scenes. I wouldn't want all H0 scenes to be that way, but playing two or three per game was fun.

For those of you who wondered if you have to play the first game to know what's happening, the answer is no. There's a recap towards the beginning of this game that summarizes what happened in the last game.

Edited to add that the one thing that made me crazy in this game was the way you had to use inventory items on things in a scene. The active area was not necessarily where you would expect it to be so sometimes you would think you weren't doing the right action only to find that the problem was that you hadn't clicked on exactly the right spot...totally annoying glitch!

Edited on 08/14/2011 at 4:57:28 PM PST

[Post New]by live2tivo on Aug 14, 11 4:58 PM
I absolutely loved this game! The story wasn't overly complicated, so it was easy to follow without having to focus all of my attention on the story rather than the game itself. Devil's Triangle had about three different villains, randomly, and this game is much more clear with who the enemy is.The worlds were well-developed, and it was like having four games in one.

The layered hidden object levels were my absolute favorites! (There was one in DT.) I loved the extra adventure game-type element that they added. (I could have done without a couple of the matching pairs levels, though.)

All in all, it took me about five hours to play (with the bonus level), which is long for me.

The bonus level was totally worth buying the CE. It didn't seem tacked on randomly and it was a full level.

Minor complaints: some of the click areas were extremely narrow, and I was caught up a couple of times thinking that I was using the wrong items, when in fact I wasn't putting them in the right millimeter of screen space where they needed to go.
(Also, a certain hidden object level made me absolutely dizzy and nauseated.)

All in all, 5 stars.

Edited on 08/14/2011 at 4:59:33 PM PST

[Post New]by grinnyp on Aug 14, 11 7:26 PM
The review for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands is up at [removed by moderator] if you're interested: [removed by moderator]

Edited on 08/15/2011 at 4:39:51 PM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Aug 14, 11 10:30 PM
Mapsman wrote:I
Edited to add that the one thing that made me crazy in this game was the way you had to use inventory items on things in a scene. The active area was not necessarily where you would expect it to be so sometimes you would think you weren't doing the right action only to find that the problem was that you hadn't clicked on exactly the right spot...totally annoying glitch!

I agree with Mapsman on this one! I found the spot by accident but it shouldn't be so difficult if you have the correct item or at least a "try a different spot" message.

I felt like the other players who commented that half the time it felt like a kid's game and the other half like a grownups game. This game really felt like it was all over the place. No cohesiveness and left me a little confused. No map either which I've come to rely on for the CE games.

Question: Why would you expect a walkthrough on a Collector's Edition? Especially when it comes with a strategy guide (albeit after you purchase the game)? I've only seen walkthroughs on regular games or even the Standard Editions but never on a CE.

I love the uniqueness of the puzzle box but I am waiting for it to come out as an SE. Not the worth the money if the guide is not an integrated one-guess I am spoiled by the games that are. I feel cheated in not knowing if there is a bonus chapter or how long it is before I purchase it.

[Post New]by sarahbera1218 on Aug 14, 11 11:44 PM
Just got on for the day and saw this was the new game. Took me a minute to realize it was a sequal to a game I absolutely adored. I'm very excited to try it out, because I LOVED the first one and have been waiting for this to come out. Going to download and play the demo and will probably buy it. Excited to see what it's like!

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Aug 15, 11 12:45 AM
Mapsman wrote:..... While the extra game time was okay at 1 hour versus the 3 hours of regular play (casual mode), the greatest portion of that was a puzzle that was ridiculous, almost impossible, if you have short term memory or visual memory limitations......

SPOILER (highlight to read): I found that (for me) the only/best way through this portion was to methodically recreate your own plot-map to then use as a guide for the puzzle's completion.
...I agree, memory wasn't helping me with this one either!

ETA - Forgot to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this game.
Thank You BFG for offering another winner!

Edited on 08/15/2011 at 12:55:54 AM PST

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Aug 15, 11 1:36 AM
I wasn't very impressed by this game at all. First, of all, it was very difficult to follow and the items you needed and finding them when you needed them were hard for me, (maybe it was just me and the need for the Strategy Guide would have been helpful ). I didn't like the music and the graphics weren't that great. It was hard to see things. I would rate it a 6 out of 10 . Maybe with the Strategy Guide , it would have rated higher and I would have enjoyed myself a little more, feeling a little less bit lost.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 15, 11 2:36 AM
I played the trial version for 55 minutes and am not even done with the whole trial, so this will be a nice long game for me. I was just very surprised not to even see the SG anywhere, never mind being able to open it. Would have been nice to have a peek at it, just for the trial version, as we usually get with all the other CEs that come out.

I love the graphics, and I love those puzzles, especially liked the one I encountered in the demo... SPOILER... Go over with mouse to highlight it.

The puzzle at the cliffs with the wooden box, which is like a H0 scene, but a puzzle. Took me quite a while to do this one, but had lots of fun with it.

Hope there are more of the same in this game. Very unique.

Will definitely purchase the CE.

Edited on 08/15/2011 at 2:37:51 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 15, 11 3:33 AM
@sinshack:
Ooooooh, I'm SOOOOO excited!!!

Thanks for your comments. You always have helpful posts. I've been meaning to ask you one thing.

Is your name supposed to mean sin shack or sins hack?

Thanks.

Edited on 08/15/2011 at 3:33:44 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 15, 11 3:40 AM
@CasualGran:
Okay, there are no voice-overs and that's a bit of a pity. But then again, you can't always have it all, can you?

I'm with you on that one. I wish all the games had voice-overs. To me that makes the difference between a good game and a great game. Without voices, I feel like I'm playing in a vacuum just clicking on things. Voices add character to the game and make the characters come alive.

I also like music in the games. But people are different and I am surprised that so many people comment that they turn the music off. I can't really understand that, but as they say, different strokes for different folks.

[Post New]by akuma6 on Aug 15, 11 3:50 AM
Another review site has posted a review on this:

[removed by moderator]

Looks good!

Edited on 08/15/2011 at 11:42:40 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 15, 11 3:53 AM
@akuma6:

Hi. I don't think the Mods here allow you to post links to other sites, but thanks for the effort. They will probably delete it.

Go to: