jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Reviews for Twisted Lands: Insomniac Collector's Edition

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 18, 11 10:22 AM
Well, as eager as I was for this game, I certainly won't be purchasing the CE.

First of all, there are the Dreaded Black Bars on the screen and I refuse to change settings for every game. I just finished playing the first Twisted Lands and there were no black bars. One would think a newer game would be just as good, if not better than the older one.

Second: when I quit the demo, I was brought immediately to the "buy page." I resent that.

Third: It is not possible to access the SG during the trial, so pretty much it's a pig in a poke. I don't like buying things sight unseen, thank you very much.

All that said, when the SE comes out, I'll more than likely buy it because I really want to play the game and see what happens, and maybe find out *why Angel killed her husband*, but not the CE. Not a chance.

ezputt
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by ezputt on Aug 18, 11 12:08 PM
Love to Miss Lisa,

I'm so surprised you called this a fine swine. I read your reviews when a new game comes out but this one is a yawner. First time I disagree with you but thanks for all your reviews, enjoy them.

EZPUTT A.K.A. Claire from Ontario Canada

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Aug 18, 11 12:28 PM
Completed the Game:

I love a story where it is presented as a puzzle or mystery to solve. I like being confused and wondering how to connect the dots on the plot. This game and it’s predecessor went to great lengths to accomplish that. This is their greatest asset, in my opinion.

I do think there were just a bit too many cut scene interruptions during the demo hour, though. Thankfully the frequency lessened during the rest of the game.

Yet, I have to say, I was intrigued by the story and held in suspense from start to finish.

I also really enjoyed the music so, I left it on the whole game. I rarely do that.

Like the first game, there was a little more thought needed in how to apply inventory items than the usual offerings. I was very pleased to see this. However, the challenge was often hampered by the close proximity that item collection and application came together.

I did enjoy the playfulness of the comments while clicking on certain items. I chuckled a few times.

H0 scenes are clear without tiny hard to see items. There was no eye strain required. That’s wonderful but, I think they have gone so far as to be just too easy. One scene was interactive and took a little more effort but that’s all.

Puzzles were also on the easier side. I was disappointed that they weren’t more of a challenge.

I did check the Strategy guide for one puzzle in the Bonus section. I knew how to do the puzzle but, the solution seemed at odds with my opinion. It automatically opened to where I was in the game and there was a video solution. I loved this! It would have been even better if, I didn’t have to go through the menu to access it.

What I mostly appreciate about this sequel is that it held to the roots of the first game. It wasn’t changed to be like all of the others. I just think they went too far in trying to correct the last games excessive backtracking and made the adventure part too easy, as well as the rest.

Bonus Play, Music, Concept Art & Strategy Guide are the included Extras - no Wallpapers or Screensavers

It took me about an hour to play the Bonus Game

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Aug 18, 11 12:28 PM
Can't devs come up with something new? This is just another asylum game. I'm really tired of this subject. I liked the first Twisted Lands game a lot better than this one. I don't think I will even get the SE version.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Aug 18, 11 12:40 PM
Let's all go to Detroit!

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Aug 18, 11 12:46 PM
shadowfax44 wrote:
equusjoy wrote:I went back and played the first one again to see what it was about. It was sort of disappointing because we really never learned anything about what was going on. Now the wife is in a mental hospital? Well, maybe I would be too since I don't know what happened or why. I just played about 15 minutes to see that it is a lot like the first one, so I will try again after I get some sleep to see how I feel about it.
Happy gaming everyone!
Joy

What?? The story made perfect sense in the first game IMO. (First Game Spoiler): Angel was the baddie in the first game, she stabbed the guy to death which is why he fell off of the boat! This in turn got her shanghaied by the Zombies and then he saved her - so she knows perfectly well what happened! LOL I haven't started this game yet, but the first game was really great!! I mean, you have to suspend belief, like you do in most of these games. Unless of course you really believe in Zombies. LOL I am really looking forward to this game and will be back with a review later.

You obviously saw something I missed, because I thought he was trying to rescue her & then the "other" stuff happened after. I did enjoy the game, though, it was just not clear in MHO.

Joy

Edited on 08/18/2011 at 12:57:15 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 18, 11 12:53 PM
Actually, I rather liked this game, but the I also liked the last one. Nice graphics and games play, no running problems at all, music nice. Yes, a weird story, but I don't play for the story, I play for the game itself and for the games within. Not a difficult game, a lot of running around, but I do like the thought it takes to figure out which item is used for what. Hint system works well and is very helpful. Had 16 minutes left in the demo. If we get 60 minutes, I would like to actually have the full 60 minutes to demo.

Not sure this is worth the CE price, will have to think about it. I'm really tired of spending so much on a game that would do quite well, and probably even better, as an SE. I'm just tired of CE games all the time. Might wait and see what may come out over the next couple of weeks.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Aug 18, 11 12:59 PM
I rather enjoyed the demo of this - although it is pretty confusing!!! Evil Dr, creepy hospital, assorted ghosts/ apparitions... what's not to like? A tad on the easy side, however - but that's not always a bad thing especially if you fancy relaxing with a game after a busy day I won't be buying this as a CE because, to me, it's not "special" enough in terms of graphics and/or gameplay, although both are definitely good enough for me to purchase the SE further down the line.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 18, 11 1:23 PM
mhatfie wrote:I bought this game and am really loving it. The graphics are great, they're clear and sharp, and there is nothing blurry. There aren't too many H0 scenes and more interaction and adventure. The puzzles I've encountered so far were fun. I like the storyline, and I think this one is better than the last one.

Thank you, thank you mhatfie!! This is music to my ears because I liked the first Twisted Lands game so much!!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 18, 11 1:29 PM
Thank you also for a great review Spock. As I played a bit of this game, I thought the exact same thing as regards the HOG scenes. A***war has been kind of dropping the ball in recent games, not putting enough effort into having good hidden object scenes. I, for one, still enjoy the hidden object aspect of these games and a good hidden object scene, in my opinion, requires a bit of hunting, not just click, click, clicking on objects that are just set into a scene and are so readily and easily visible. I wish they would go back to putting that little extra effort to make this part of the game play more fun and challenging like it used to be. It lengthens a game too, while using the artwork they already have! JMHO.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 18, 11 1:39 PM
shadowfax44 wrote:
mhatfie wrote:I bought this game and am really loving it. The graphics are great, they're clear and sharp, and there is nothing blurry. There aren't too many H0 scenes and more interaction and adventure. The puzzles I've encountered so far were fun. I like the storyline, and I think this one is better than the last one.

Thank you, thank you mhatfie!! This is music to my ears because I liked the first Twisted Lands game so much!!

After that lead in shadow, don't tell me if you don't like it. LOL. So far I'm enjoying it alot, but it kind of sounds like I'm in the minority here.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 18, 11 1:46 PM
@mhatfie Well if you liked the first game like I did, we were in the minority there too. I never understood it either, it was a really great game with a good story that had a very surprising ending!

Edited to clarify.

Edited on 08/18/2011 at 1:48:20 PM PST

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Aug 18, 11 1:56 PM
XtreemNorth wrote:Why do some even bother to leave a review if you havent played it? I read the reviews but not interested in someones negative comment who hasnt played the game.

This game is really enjoyable, fantastic scenes, and lots of things to do. For one I am grateful for these games, brings alot of pleasure to me and my family. I have no complaints.

Thank you, wonderfully said

Edited on 08/18/2011 at 1:58:14 PM PST

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Aug 18, 11 2:15 PM
I like this game and also the first one. The original game had a number of loose ends, I thought the storyline was quite intriguing and different from the usual IHOG. Hopefully this sequel will answer questions.

Graphics are first rate, sharp and detailed. I've played over an hour, there seem to be many cutscenes which I like. There is voiceacting which is a plus. Gameplay is on the easy side but it's fun and I want to find out what happened

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 18, 11 2:26 PM
Can't remember if I played first one or not.. but it don't matter. I really don't like this one. Just don't make much sense and lots of running to and fro.. Guess the graphics were ok but nothing to cheer about. Not a Collectors type of game, if there is a type.. There are too many great games out there right now.. so won't be a buy for me..

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Aug 18, 11 3:45 PM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:I enjoyed the first one. And this one takes off where the first one left you. You really have to play the first game to understand the story, I know what's happening, so it make's it alot more understandable to me. The graphics are great and and the story is really interesting. And the overall gameplay, very smooth and it's somewhat easy. Of course this is a buy for me, but I'll wait for the SE. Be sure to check the first one out. At least do the trial period and read the walkthrough and that might give you clues as to what the story is. Enjoy!

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)
I went back and bought the first one SE and used a game credit. I really liked it. So after I tried the demo for a while I bought the CE. I must admit I'm enjoying this game very much. After playing the first one I'm having a ball figuring out where this one is headed.

[Post New]by sistermoon on Aug 18, 11 3:56 PM
KBEAR2045 wrote:
calsmom2001 wrote:
Carole22759 wrote:
jkuci wrote:
Coronagold wrote:Just from the screenshots I know I won't like it. It looks like it's one notch above urban decay. When I play an IHOG I don't want Detroit, m'kay? Something more like Empress or Drawn impresses me. Pass.

Whoa! A little rough on Detroit....

...The truth hurts sometimes.

Actually, considering that there is a plan being seriously put forth to just bulldoze whole blocks of Detroit, I think "one notch above urban decay" is, if anything, kind.

Okay-Enough with the references to Detroit (No, I am not from Detroit). Granted there are areas that need to be cleaned up but there are other cities that have problems too. This forum is for reviewing games, not political statements or slams (unless it concerns the game).

That being said, while I liked the game, I am waiting for the SE versions. First off, no SG to look at before purchase (again!) and I'm not sure it is even needed. Second no bells or whistles in it to make it all that special as a CE. Third, no map and with the back and forth between "worlds" or whatever you call it, it gets confusing as to where to go to use your found items (CRS gets longer and stronger). Yes there are two tabs in your journal for each but a map would really help and it would be quicker.

Thank you. Some very insensitive people on this thread.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 18, 11 3:59 PM
As an SE si, as a CE no

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 18, 11 5:12 PM
calsmom2001 wrote:
Carole22759 wrote:
jkuci wrote:
Coronagold wrote:Just from the screenshots I know I won't like it. It looks like it's one notch above urban decay. When I play an IHOG I don't want Detroit, m'kay? Something more like Empress or Drawn impresses me. Pass.

Whoa! A little rough on Detroit....

...The truth hurts sometimes.

Actually, considering that there is a plan being seriously put forth to just bulldoze whole blocks of Detroit, I think "one notch above urban decay" is, if anything, kind.

Hey, I'm in the greater Tampa area and we're not far from the same treatment with all the foreclosures making swathes of unoccupied houses and sink hole insurance rates threatening to rise 2000% next year. Yeah that wasn't a typo: 2000% rate rise! This will be a ghost town.

Coachswife
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Coachswife on Aug 18, 11 5:44 PM
I bought the first one but waited until it came out a a regular game, might do the same for this one, DO NOT LIKE that you have to buy the game first in order to get the stategy guide, hope this is not going to be this way for all SE games, they will lose a lot of buyers this way

Go to: