Reviews for F.A.C.E.S.

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,373 Posts

Re:Reviews for F.A.C.E.S.

[Post New]by sandebeach on Aug 22, 11 5:13 AM
I give this game a for good gameplay. Graphics were very clear, text dialogue could be skipped, and the music and ambient sounds were appropriately creepy. The HOG scenes (and there are many!) were welll done, I kept missing items but when I hit the Hint button, the item was right in front of my face! The game took me over 3 hours to finish, and at times I needed to use the walkthrough to figure out where to go next. There was a lot of back and forth on the elevator, exploring the floors of the institution. The ending set the game up for a sequel, so I am curious if the CE ending had more content. Definitely would recommend buying the SE if you like games where you do a bit of traveling back and forth between scenes.

Gwennoel
Guppy
Guppy
189 Posts

[Post New]by Gwennoel on Aug 22, 11 7:08 AM
I can't get past the first chapter, the briefcase code won't open it .

[Post New]by southie1947 on Aug 23, 11 9:41 AM
TeamSD wrote:It's another game set in the asylum, i know lots of fishies here are getting tired of this but this game comes with very interesting plot, try it to see whether you like it or not!

Bought this one as CE version, the game is quite long, great puzzles and music with spooky atmosphere. A bit too many HOG scenes but overall this game is great, worth the SE!

However, i highly recommend this game as CE. It may not worth the CE price??? but in my opinion i've used a lot of guide (but there's walkthrough available now!) and the ending of the SE version would make not much sense......at least the CE did!

Grades:

Graphics: A
Story: A
Music: A
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: B
Fun: B
Gameplay: A
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A or as low as F!

[Post New]by rebeccartist on Aug 23, 11 3:46 PM
I was very disappointed in this game. The HOG scenes were well done, but the puzzles were too easy. However, I only played the trial version, so take that information for what it's worth.

The creepiness factor was a little much at the beginning, and perhaps if I had been in a more receptive space for that aspect of the game I might have had a different overall impression. I wasn't that receptive to begin with (and knew it), but the game gets such good reviews I thought I'd give it a shot.

My main disappointment was the puzzles. They just.... meh. Didn't seem very hard or challenging. I realize that puzzle-difficulty is a personal preference. I know not everyone has the same level of raw brain power . But me -- I like things to challenge me. The first hour here did not accomplish that. Spot the difference in 4 or 5 or whatever # of x-rays? Meh. Arrange tubes so that light can make its way down a path? Meh, again - I've played *much* harder versions of that puzzle and this one was too obvious.

I think I'm tired of all of the gorgeous and flashy graphics which can sometimes bling "Wowie!" in an effort to distract from some pretty basic and easy tasks. I'm sure this game has a great storyline (seemed to). The design was different than the norm, which is great. The puzzles/tasks *looked* different, but the actual puzzles themselves were the same as many others, and not nearly as challenging.

It's like a huge, fancy, ridiculously blinged-out kitchen.... and the only cooking is done in the microwave. I think that metaphor is apt?? Or not, lol.

Did not buy.

knfarms
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by knfarms on Aug 23, 11 8:06 PM
Just finished the regular F.A.C.E.S. game and it was awsome! Great game that kept me interested from beginning to end. I didn't realize that there was a CE of the game, because I would have loved to see what happened next. Too bad that BF doesn't allow us to "upgrade" the game to CE! That would be great. I will be looking forward to the sequal. Perhaps in the sequal they could make the HOG's a bit harder to find the objects. I'll give this one an A+

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Aug 24, 11 3:12 AM
knfarms

You can upgrade to the CE I *think* it works in that you contact them to upgrade and then you buy the CE at the usual price and get a coupon code back for the SE (so you only pay an additional $6.99).

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Aug 24, 11 1:16 PM
I played the CE demo and finished it with a fair amount of time to spare. Ergo, I thought the game would be fairly easy. I was wrong.

I found the HOG scenes fairly hard. Items were not clearly deliniated. And, to make matters worse, the developers definitions of the items were often totally off the wall. Since when is a wingnut defined as a BOLT? Since when is a grasshopper not a BUG? There are at least twenty other examples, but you get my drift.

This is a game that could truly have used an interactive map. There was much more backtracking than I thought necessary.

I needed to resort to the walkthrough on three occasions when I was totally stymied as to what to do next. But in doing so, I also learned that the sequence described in the WT was totally different than what I had just done. For example, it's possible to solve a valve puzzle in the boiler room far in advance of when the WT says you need to do it. As a result, when the door on the 1st floor opened it came as quite a surprise, and I wondered whether this would be a problem with my completing the game. It wasn't.

While the puzzles seemed new, most have been seen in other games. I will say though, that the invironments surrounding the puzzles, e.g., the train slider puzzle or the 1st floor ball puzzle, made them seem new.

I did find the puzzle hint/explanation clues to be skimpy. And sometimes they were misleading if not downright wrong. Although, as I said above, most iHOG players have seen these puzzles often enough that we know what to do despite a less than satisfactory hint system.

While this might seem contradictory, I would grade F.A.C.E.S a B-, but I also enjoyed the game. Perhaps this is because the game offered a solid 4+ hours of play. Maybe I enjoyed it more for the value than the content. I would certainly recommend buying it.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Aug 27, 11 3:15 PM
I just finished this game and LOVE it! It is a hog and an adventure game. There is a lot of running around and finding things to continue. I found this game to be fun and did not have any technical issues. It was worth the price for me. I'm off to try of the other games by this developer.

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Aug 28, 11 12:56 PM
Yes an interesting game , no glitches, that I noticed anyway,.. The hint system was useless, most of the time, but it did not spoil my enjoyment, as the game was not difficult , and I do like to use the grey cells sometimes !!!
I thought this was a long game, as I did waste a lot of time going up and down in the elevator !!! Do the developers omit maps to stretch the game time ? But I always seem to take longer than most as I read everything and enjoy the graphics..
Everyone is right about the ending it left me feeling a bit cheated, but then .. I cannot wait for the sequel !!!!!
Five stars( I cannot find a star icon with a smiley face)

[Post New]by triquetra33 on Aug 30, 11 11:15 PM
Rachieroos wrote:knfarms

You can upgrade to the CE I *think* it works in that you contact them to upgrade and then you buy the CE at the usual price and get a coupon code back for the SE (so you only pay an additional $6.99).

Can someone tell me if this is accurate? I actually thought I had purchased the CE version (my own fault for not paying more attention to my shopping cart) and would love to upgrade.....

[Post New]by brainybetty2009 on Sep 6, 11 8:54 PM
A lovely game! I really enjoyed it and well worth the price.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Sep 6, 11 10:02 PM
I just finished the SE version as I did not know that the CE was available. I usually purchase the CE versions and was kind of disappointed to find out that I could have had the CE.

But, for a CE, that was a great game. It lasted a really long time. I love the dark and spooky games. I read in the reviews that some are tired of these kind of story lines but I think that they are great. I really do not want to tip-toe through the tulips. I am a senior and that maybe why. We get grouchier in our old age you know. lol

Anyway, Everything about the game was great. Storyline, graphics, HOGs, and lots of adventure. I turn off the music as I usually find it annoying so I cannot comment on this part.
Glad that I purchased.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Sep 8, 11 2:57 PM
Well, I just finished this game and... what a relief. I really loved the demo of both the CE and SE and couldn't wait to buy. And then - got past the first hour and it became a massive drag. Don't know if it was 'cos I went away for a week and then went back to the game afterwards and just lost momentum, or what. The H0 scenes became repetitive, the puzzles boring and that bloody lift - !!! I made myself finish it as I hate to waste a credit, but really didn't enjoy it that much. Shame, because I like most of the other Vogat games (Elixir aside).

I honestly can't recommend this game, as I found it just seemed to go on and on and nothing happened. I had to cheat and use the WT several times because I got so bored I'd leave it a day or two before going back to it and then forgot where I was and what I was doing

DeeBeth
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by DeeBeth on Sep 8, 11 6:34 PM
triquetra33 wrote:

Can someone tell me if this is accurate? I actually thought I had purchased the CE version (my own fault for not paying more attention to my shopping cart) and would love to upgrade.....

Yes it's accurate. I've upgraded twice. You go ahead and buy the CE and then contact customer service or live chat if you're a member and let them know that you upgraded. They'll either issue you a coupon or refund what you paid for the SE. Both times I did it I got the coupon code.

[Post New]by triquetra33 on Sep 8, 11 11:31 PM
DeeBeth wrote:
triquetra33 wrote:

Yes it's accurate. I've upgraded twice. You go ahead and buy the CE and then contact customer service or live chat if you're a member and let them know that you upgraded. They'll either issue you a coupon or refund what you paid for the SE. Both times I did it I got the coupon code.

Thanks! Been a member for years and did not know this was an option!

[Post New]by faithh1964 on Sep 11, 11 12:39 PM
Brilliant game. Loved it.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Sep 12, 11 4:45 PM
liked it...wished i had gotten C.E....long game with lots to do...cant wait for part 2..

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Sep 19, 11 11:34 AM
I really loved the game (could care less about the SE vs CE drama) but one thing irked me. The ol' wrong names for items thing...A Eyebrow brush is not the same as a Toothbrush and there is a difference between nuts and bolts. They spend so much time and money on the game play, puzzles and graphics but can't seem to translate well.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Oct 6, 11 3:47 PM
I just finished the standard edition and it left me with lots of unanswered questions. I may have to buy the strategy guide just to finish the story. I enjoyed the story, the graphics, the flow of the game, and the music! It's quite different from other asylum games i've played. I'll replay it at a later date because I depended on the walkthrough too much. I had problems moving about. I could have set up housekeeping in the elevator as much as I was in there! Vogat is one of my favorite developers and F.A.C.E.S. fits that top tier category!

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
581 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 8, 12 11:35 AM
This is a very nice game I wish I had bough the CE but I tough the game was not that good, I was mistaken the demo doesn't give enough of what the game is all about.

Great game.

Go to: