Laura29
Clownfish
Clownfish
833 Posts

Re:Review for Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse

[Post New]by Laura29 on Aug 21, 11 1:17 AM
I wasn't sure about trying this game. I admit, I have a bias toward games that don't have a walkthrough, assuming they are either straight HOG or they are so childishly simple a walkthrough is unnecessary. Well, the reviews were pretty good, so I decided to try it. After playing it for 15 minutes, I bought it. It's a very fun game. Graphics are pleasing to the eye, but simple and clean at the same time. No junkpile hidden object scenes, which is a nice change. Given the story (a cursed town) it could be a very dark and dreary game. But it isn't. Possible spoiler?.... even in the areas that have changed appearance, it is still not a gloomy game. I really must go to bed now, but I am looking forward to continuing it tomorrow... happy fishie here

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Aug 21, 11 2:53 AM
What fun this game turned out to be. The graphics and game play are not as involved or beautiful as Moonfell Woods and some of the newer games - but for those o us who enjoyed those early fun adventure games without gruesome nail bitting and want relaxing play this is quite good. The graphics and play remind me of the old King's Quest type games, which I dearly loved. I am fairly strong with mini games and figuring things out and it still took me 3.5 hours and I skipped two puzzles toward the end as I wanted to finish up. I agree the journal and some of the characters could put a smile on one's face, especially if you caught onto the quirky humor.

Will be looking forward to another adventure.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Aug 21, 11 7:13 AM
Guess I'm the odd duck. I didn't like this game. It was boring to me, and I was tired of the medieval scenery very quickly. Played less than 10 minutes before I turned it off. The game and I just didn't click I guess.

vibrett
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by vibrett on Aug 21, 11 10:04 AM
I found this one disappointing. The games were repetitive and I didn't like being in the same places all the time - it didn't feel like I was progressing.

It was also way too short.

Wish I had not paid for it - would have been OK if it had been a freebie.

:o(

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Aug 21, 11 10:14 AM
Well I'm another dissenter, I hated it, boring and quite childlike just didn't flow to me. I should have liked it(had all the genres I like) but I didn't.Am I the only one who just plays for an hour but doesn't buy even if they quite like a game? Loads of people seem almost obsessed that they have to like a game just so they can buy it.Maybe having a limited budget helps I only buy the games that I really can't bear not to finish rather than buying loads of just ok games.CEs never come in my budget so always have to wait for SEs and really good games are thin on the ground at the moment(well in the genre I prefer anyway).

Areal
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Areal on Aug 21, 11 10:19 AM
Sorry to disagree with the majority, but I didn't like it at all. Too short, too simple, too "plain". Not even a well constructed and developed story. Bought it 'cause I thought that the story could improve along the game and show some sense of humour, I usually don't mind the sound, and not much the graphics if the rest of the game is worth. But this game hasn't covered not one of my expectatives. Very dissapointed.

janetwhat
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by janetwhat on Aug 21, 11 10:36 AM
Unfortunately if you de-select the honking huge clunky custom cursor you lose most of the functions of the cursor which tell you to investigate the item your cursor is on. Would have purchased this game otherwise.

Oh well, on to the next one.

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 10:37:53 AM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Aug 21, 11 10:45 AM
I like it, but won't buy it until there is a walkthrough... I haven't played many adventure because I always get stuck and then can't finish the game. I only look when I"ve been stuck more than a day. Anyone know if there is one yet?

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 21, 11 11:18 AM
barbee44 wrote:I like it, but won't buy it until there is a walkthrough... I haven't played many adventure because I always get stuck and then can't finish the game. I only look when I"ve been stuck more than a day. Anyone know if there is one yet?

I usually never buy without a W/T either, but I took a chance with this
one and was able to finish. The three times I just couldn't figure it
out, I did find my answer in the forums. There are quite a few
questions answered there.

And most times with adventure games, I'm stuck way more than
3 times.

[Post New]by lisav6 on Aug 21, 11 12:56 PM
I feel that this, along with a lot of the other recent big fish games was much to short. A waste of money as I completed it not long after buying it. Very disappointing. This seems to be the main problem with most of the games on here, they are much to short. I had reinstated my membership to buy this but will be cancelling again now as I don't feel that big fish games represent good value for money anymore.

KICKI56
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:Reviews for Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse

[Post New]by KICKI56 on Aug 21, 11 3:04 PM
It is a good thing that we don't all like the same kind of games. This one is not a Hidden Object game, it is an adventure game.
I found this to be one of the most enjoyable games I have played this summer. It is not glitsy will huge productions, it is just a good game with good graphics, a cute story, written with humor, and with what I call nice 'Castle' music.
The hint system recharges very quickly. The map is the key to finding your way thru this game. You don't need a walkthru if you use it. All of the puzzles are fun and doable. The puzzles at the very end are very challenging, but I was able to do them after a few tries. All puzzles can be skipped, which is good because we don't all like the same kind of puzzles either. It is neither too short nor too long. It was just right and I had a great time playing it.

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 3:05:00 PM PST

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Aug 21, 11 6:50 PM
This one is kind of middling for me. I've only played the demo and wasn't really impressed enough to want to shell out the money. The graphics are okay but nothing too impressive; the music is nice but not memorable; the plot is a little weird but okay. It didn't bore or aggravate me the way some games on this site have, but it also didn't fascinate and delight me the way some others have. I found it mildly amusing, not much more.

[Post New]by hottwotouch on Aug 21, 11 11:09 PM
I have the sword and hung it up and I need to get the soup ingredients but dont know where to start. Please help. Thanks

[Post New]by FragmentFour on Aug 22, 11 2:25 AM
Now this game I really enjoyed! Anything that's fun is going to be too short, but I found this to be a huge improvement over games requiring that you strain your eyes trying to find umbrellas that have nothing to do with any storyline, or pixel hunt for hours with no discernible plot.

As adventure games go, this is a lightweight - but I like it.

[Post New]by baggie581 on Aug 22, 11 4:18 AM
Sorry to say I'm a dissenter too ... waste of my game club credit. Very pretty and very slightly humourous, but no depth to it, too easy and too short (took me one hour). Only thing I would say is that it's nice to have an adventure game that isn't a HOG (where would HOG developers be without the hourglass lol?).

[Post New]by lcat46 on Aug 22, 11 7:00 AM
I have the sword and have placed on the oyster shell but not sure what to do next? Help..thanks

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Aug 22, 11 7:08 AM
I loved this game. Not a lot of HOG = great... Looks more like an adventure game, but with more puzzles in it...= great. A bit short, but you can play a lot of bonus puzzles after you finished the game... = great too.
A lot of humor, good music, great art... More of those please
- Raska -

Fantastic Game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 22, 11 7:42 AM
I just played a bit of the game and this is my initial reaction. I will post a full review when I finish the game.

This game must have been a sleeper. It's a fantastic game. It's NOT a standard HOG game though. It's an Adventure game. No voices, but plenty of interactions with other characters. You navigate through the scenes, talk to people, pick up objects for your inventory, and solve puzzles/mini-games. So far, there was a list of soup ingredients I had to find, but it was NOT a standard HOG scene. It was quite simple to find most of the objects over a few different scenes.

There is a journal, with a Task List, and a map, but the map doesn't let you transport yourself. There is no random click penalty (because it's not really a HOG game) and there is a Hint system that points you in the right directions of where to go next, and it recharges quickly. The mini-games allow you to take some Hints or Solve the puzzle and the Skip button recharges quickly.

The game is offbeat and very humorous. The graphics are quaint, but very appealing. The text is also very large and most things are very bright, so there was no problem for me to see and read everything easily. The music is very good too and the game has been a ton of fun so far.

I'll post my final comments after I finish the game, but so far, I like this game a lot.

Edited on 08/22/2011 at 7:44:34 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 22, 11 9:26 AM
I am about 3/4 into this game and I still love it. Every once in awhile a nice surprise comes along and this is definitely one. There is no walkthrough but if you perservere you will get through it. Using you little grey cells is a good thing. LOL. I'm so glad I bought this game.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 22, 11 1:06 PM
The game looked much more promising than it actually was. It was quite short and that was disappointing. There were some challenges, but really, far fewer than I expected from a short trial. Perhaps I should have played longer before purchasing? It would have been OK as a DD or COTW, but it was simply not all that great. If I were to give it s, it would be three out of five.

Go to: