lemarmot
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

Re:Reviews for Around the World in Eighty Days: The Challenge

[Post New]by lemarmot on Aug 25, 11 1:44 PM
I enjoyed the game and the puzzles so far, but got stuck at the train station - can't find the last crate of coal - even with the hint that circles a pile of stuff - can't find it there - anybody else?

[Post New]by janetthepug on Aug 26, 11 2:44 PM
Enjoyable BUT...

I liked this game (first one I've done from this designer). It's not really a HOG, more of a "Count the Objects" game. A few quirks in the puzzles (be sure to use the right/left shift). My main complaint was that it's SO SHORT!! Especially for the money! Just getting to do the puzzles again (the "bonus") is not enough.

I always check the credits on any game - I'm curious about the nationality of the designers - it affects the objects pictured (especially brands in a "store" scene), some of the terms/names use, and the amusing misspellings. This game called a life preserver a "MUD" and used "buffaloes" as the plural of "buffalo." No big deal, of course, just one of the fun things about these games.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Aug 27, 11 3:55 AM
In order to simplify things I've decided to cut and paste my last review of a Hdo game to this and all future Hdo games. Their games are all variations on the same theme(and a pretty dull theme it is) so why should my review follow suit?
Sooooo.....
I was excited to see this game this morning because I thought that the storyline would lend itself well to a HOG.
Downloaded it.
Opened it up.
Saw the HdO logo.
Closed it.
Deleted it.
Better luck tomorrow everyone!

Not For Me

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 27, 11 5:57 AM
I tried out this game and I didn't like it. It's not my cup of tea. I remember trying some other games from this company before and didn't like them either. Basically, it's a pure Hidden Object Game (HOG) loosely held together by a story. Since I don't like HOGs, I didn't like this game, so I didn't buy it.

However, if you like HOGs, you'll probably love this game because that's basically what the whole game is about.

Happy Gaming.

Edited on 08/27/2011 at 6:00:29 AM PST

[Post New]by patriciablake on Aug 27, 11 1:08 PM
I think this is the best game put out in a long time. It was relaxing, just enough challenge and I had a lot of fun playing it. If you find too much dialog just hit the skip button and move on quickly.

Hortense
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Hortense on Aug 28, 11 9:57 PM
I'm hoping you've finished the game, at least as far as where I got stuck. Twice starting from the beginning, I get as far as the buffalo herd, first the slider game, which I finally conquered, and went on to the buffalo elimination immediately after. After clicking seven or eight buffalo, it tosses me right back to the slider game. In both go-rounds, I've done this five or six times, and it never changes. I'm hoping you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, if anything. Hortense

[Post New]by stitchdesigner5 on Aug 29, 11 7:05 AM
I almost uninstalled when I saw HdO games. This one does run properly ( more or less), surprise, surprise. It is still a game that drags a lot, program wise.

The entire book is told in dialog, so you can imagine how much superfluous dialog there is. The game is, therefore, as exciting as watching sand stand still. When it goes to the one day only freebie on BFG's competition, I'll probably play it. Free is about what it's worth.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Aug 30, 11 2:50 PM
HdO?

Not for me...

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Sep 6, 11 3:35 PM
More dialogue than game, to me. Anyone else catch where Phileas introduced himself to Passepartout "I'm John Passepartout. I've heard good things about you." I did a double take on that one. (and never mind that Passepartout's name is Jean)

The puzzles and settings weren't too difficult and I enjoyed that part, but there was far to much dialogue. For someone who has never read the novel, all the dialogue helps explain what is going on. For someone who has read the novel or seen one of the movies (either the David Niven one or the one with Pierce Brosnan), the dialogue just gets in the way. I clicked through it without even reading it, but there was so much that even that took a lot of time.

No buy for me.

[Post New]by klassylady25 on Sep 8, 11 2:02 PM
I, too, liked this one. The games were challenging.

[Post New]by klassylady25 on Sep 8, 11 2:03 PM
I, too, liked this one. The games were challenging.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 13, 11 7:56 PM

Well...I bought the game and played it all the way through but I definitely wouldn't characterize it as "challenging".

I had a headache and really didn't want to be asked for any brain activity and so, I bought the game and it was pleasant.

I've always enjoyed the story - plus there were little illustrations sprinkled throughout that looked like they could have come from the book - circa 1870's.

Gamewise, I enjoyed the classic M3 version of the story better....and that game is definitely more challenging.

Happy Gaming!!!

Edited on 09/13/2011 at 7:59:37 PM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 3, 11 1:57 PM
Okay...I'm going to try and be nice. Actually made it through 20 minutes of this awful game.....way too much dialog that you have to endless click through to move through the story...whatever that is. Very simple HOGs and mini games...good grief, maybe this would be a good beginner game to practice on or great for small children. Certainly not worth $6.99 and wouldn't even waste money or time on it if it was $2.99.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Oct 10, 11 4:45 PM
How many times do I need to say...any HdO games are lame...uninstalled immediately...

Go to: