stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

Re:Reviews for Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost

[Post New]by stingstungme on Aug 25, 11 5:18 AM
I don't like this game and regret buying it.

I hate the mini games and having everything light up for you makes it to easy. I switched from the casual mode to adventure mode because I didn't want all of the hints.

I honestly didn't see much of a difference. The game is a big gimme. Who needs a walk through when the game holds your hand and walks you through it?

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Aug 25, 11 6:02 AM
At first, I didn't think I was going to like the game, but after playing for twenty minutes, I decided I did. Cartoonish graphics are a change of pace for me and I don't spend so much time gawking at the extravagant graphics in games like 'Sonya'.

Also, the adventure type is a different pace for me and although there is a guide to help you, it doesn't always answer the questions or point out what you need to do for the next step.

I'm buying with my last punch card credit. I know the game will take me a long time as I have not found the first ghost in the hour trial.

Happy in OK

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Aug 25, 11 8:33 AM
woodspinner wrote:Way too short! Without using the guide, but in casual mode, I finished three ghosts in the hour trial. I don't buy two hour games.

I think you skip puzzles, since some of them are so difficult, you can't possibly finish three ghosts in one hour trial... well that's my opinion and I'm used to difficult adventure games...

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Aug 25, 11 9:02 AM
What a beautiful little game. I love the music, the graphics, the humor, the dark side, the puzzles... A+ for me !

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Aug 25, 11 9:54 AM
Just doesn't grab my attention. Sometimes a little too difficult and other times a bit too easy. Wouldn't buy this one.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Aug 25, 11 10:41 AM
M_E_M_O_M wrote:This was too dark for me. Don't like cartoon-y graphics, found it easy enough to navigate, but won't be buying this one. Yuck!

Just asking, do you mean too dark as in screen & graphics or too dark in game matter ? (story line)

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Aug 25, 11 10:47 AM
Menesa wrote:M'mmm turned out to be just another game where the developers didnt do much historical research.. .
Seems they skipped their ancient history lessons at school to play with computers. Dont they understand the word... research.
**** Hum so what's new!!!!!!
It is a very shory game with only a couple of hours game play...just wish I hadnt wasted my credit on it.

So my rating is smelly sock.=4
My rating can be as low as OMG Whats That Stink =1 to Evokingly Fragrant=10

Just pure curiosity, what history lesson was skipped here ? I thought it was all from fairytale land And in my defense we didn't have computers when I was at school, but we did have history.

Snookie1100
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Snookie1100 on Aug 25, 11 10:50 AM
cottoncandy2 wrote:Am I the only person who didn't like this game? I thought the puzzles were stupid. Some I thought just plain didn't make sense and others I couldn't even bother trying. When I got to the murals on the wall I deleted it. What was the point of that one?

Have to agree with you.............those murals took up most of my time and why oh why did the devs think this would be a fun touch to a game? I found it most irritating, but did attempt all of them, but got only about half correct.......finally just skipped the rest. NO BUY for me. Oh well, onwards and upwards............here's to hopefully some great games for the weekend.

BTW......love your name and wish I had some cotton candy right about now--love that stuff!!!

AmberKB
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by AmberKB on Aug 25, 11 12:12 PM
Y'know, it's not a bad game. Not a terrific game either. I'll admit, I'm a fast player. I tend to pick up on things quickly, and perhaps that makes the game go faster?

I loved the concept of the game. There were a few things I didn't like, some of the puzzles about drove me nuts, and didn't like them. The ONLY game I skipped was the Bonzai tree. I ended up getting partway through the 3rd ghost before my time ran out.

I have to say that I LOVED the music. There's one particular tune when you're putting together some of the puzzles that was just so haunting and melodic. I loved it. Would love to get a copy of it.

Overall, I may end up purchasing this with a future credit, or maybe a DD.

Happy gaming, all!

[Post New]by iluvgames55 on Aug 25, 11 10:48 PM
I thought it was an excellent game as well. I'm not one for cartoony looking graphics either, but the game was so clear and the storyline so engrossing, I forgot about the cartoony look.

I liked the puzzles; most of them were easy for me, but there were a few that were quite challenging and all were original, which was very refreshing. It was a nice change to play a good adventure game without any **** scenes. I like being able to pick up things that I need as I go along to store in my inventory to use at the time or later. I liked the hint system too in the "guide". I did have to check the walkthrough a couple times on a couple challenging puzzles, but I didn't have to follow the walkthrough exclusively, which was nice.

It was a very enjoyable game and I hope that more like this one is offered. I agree the end of the game suggests a sequel. I hope so. It would be nice to continue the storyline and see what happens next with Ashley. Well done Casual Box. Looking forward to more!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 26, 11 7:44 AM
Well, the reviews are all over the place on this one! I'll take the positive side. I'll bet a lot of gamers enjoy an occasional cartoon-style Adventure game--I know I do. There's a Dark and Eerie theme here, but don't be mislead--quite a bit of fun, wit, and humor.

Even though you type in a profile name, you'll be addressed as "Ashley," the heroine. The mission? To free six ghosts that are trapped in a house from your dreams. The intro is good, with some voice acting (don't know if it carries over); decent Options Menu (sound sliders, cursor choice, screen choice, and, eventually, two gameplay modes). I suspect a rather easy time of it, regardless of which mode you choose--maybe a bummer to hard-core gamers.

The game is inventory-based (no H0 scenes)--find items to either use where you're at, or somewhere else. There's a journal (which gets updated as you find rather obvious "envelopes"). No hint system, but a "guide" system in the journal, which can give some almost-walkthrough-type help. The graphics aren't "dark," by any means--I had no trouble "finding" and "focusing." I liked "Isaac" the pooch--reminded me of "Tramp" from "Lady and the Tramp."

Game length? If you take your time to enjoy what the developers have given us, rather than "racing" through, like some folks ("three ghosts in the hour trial"--perhaps misleading to call this a "two-hour" game), then I'll betcha you'll have good time here!

Regards, elldee

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Aug 26, 11 3:16 PM
would have really loved this game if there was more access to info or hints to keep going and not guessing all the time...like the fact that inventory can combine b4 placement...

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Aug 26, 11 3:41 PM
My husband downloaded this demo for me so I didn't pay any attention to what it actually was
I just assumed that it was a CE because the play is great and it is so unique.At that point I was very disappointed with the Strategy Guide! Imagine my surprise when I realized it was SE.
I am off to purchase right now. Looks like a great game with good length.

Yee Haa!!!!

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Aug 26, 11 5:24 PM
"I like it!", "I like it!", "I really, really like it!" Variety is good for the brain . . . . because boredom stunts the brain. You have to stretch it out by making it work/entertaining your neurons/brain stems. Good graphics, story, interaction and lots of pop-ups/strange things happening (like scarey ghosts). "Oh my!"

jennipurr
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by jennipurr on Aug 26, 11 7:08 PM
To buy or not to buy???? I read the reviews and since I only got as far as ghost #2 and the tree, then to find out that my time was up because the story line grabbed me, this will be a buy. A SE game with voice overs & a nice help guide built in! Wow a lot of the CE games don't have those. Keep up the nice work (and low price!)

Mixed Reactions

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 27, 11 9:05 AM
I agree with gingergal. I wanted to like this game more, but it was lacking something. Everybody else has already mentioned most of the game's features, so I'll just focus on why I really didn't care for it.

The game was okay and I played the whole game, but at the end, I felt unfulfilled. I'm not giving anything away here, but in the game you have to find 6 ghosts in the house (one by one). Then, after you find each one, you have to complete a few objectives in the house to go to the next scene. Then each ghost takes your hand and you go to the ghost's native habitat. For instance, with the pirate, you go to the sea and with the pharaoh, you go to the tombs. Then you have a biigger quest there and when you solve it and free the ghost, you're transported back to the house, to find the next ghost.

I found the map pretty useless because in most environments, there were only 3 scenes. I didn't even read the Journal, but the Guide was good. It gave you progressive hints, plus there is a Walkthrough available. I also liked the music. However, I didn't like the graphics at all. They were cartoon graphics. It's not a HOG game and the objects you have to pick up are right out in the open and pretty easy to find. However, the game didn't play like a true Adventure game. There was talking during the cut scenes, but not in the rest of the game and there were many dialogues. The big problem was that I didn't like the mini-games. A few were good, and they were original, but most of them were not fun.
The good news is, if you're having trouble, you can play at the first easier level and if you want more help, there is a second easier level. Plus, you can Skip the puzzle immediately, if you want. You don't have to wait for it to recharge. Again, you could skip every mini-game immediately, if you wanted to. However, there are no Hints. It wasn't that big of a deal because it's not a HOG game, but a few times I couldn't find something and the Guide didn't say what to do next. Since there were no Hints, I had to consullt the Walkthrough a few times.

In the past there were games where I loved the voice acting and many people didn't like it. In this game, many people did like the voices and I couldn't stand it. I thought the voice talent was corny, like a High School play.

The game was about 3.5 hours long and at the end, you can replay any of the mini-games. The bottom line is that the game didn't really appeal to me, so I rate it a C.

Happy Gaming.

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 1:12:47 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Aug 27, 11 11:18 AM
A beautifully crafted game with a brilliant story-line. Really different and very enjoyable.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Aug 27, 11 7:16 PM
This game had a lot of technical issues for me. As far as I can tell, there are one mini game to solve after another. Because of the problems, I got so I just hated this game. For those who like mini-games and not having any technical issues, have fun.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Aug 27, 11 10:55 PM
I did not enjoy this game at all. Slow, puzzles are mostly number oriented (boring). I'm sorry I bought this one. Story line okay, but got really tired of the main character and her ignorance. The bad guy sent me to hell. But I got out...(smile)

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Aug 28, 11 8:19 AM
Not sure why I didn't care for this one - maybe a little too cartoonish.

Go to: