CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

Re:Review for Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 25, 11 1:41 PM
Very nice looking follow-up in this series. Cute gamefigures and enough puzzles to solve. But... everything is so easy I mean, even in normal mode...

I fear I don't need that SG at all, and since I don't care for wallpapers and concept art, I don't see the point paying the CE price...

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 25, 11 1:57 PM
I have Dreamless Castle and Moonfell Wood and liked them both. This one is nice, graphics are nice and clear; music gets annoying but can turn it off; not much in the hidden object scenes but nice combo between HOS and "find this to make that work," which I do like; a bit choppy and slow in movements, which I didn't have problems with on either of the other two.

I like an SG that stays on the last page I visited. It's a pain to go through page after page every time. Either have voice-over or no mouth movement. Seems weird to have the mouth move and nothing coming out. Overall, I like this game, just not sure it is worth the price of a CE. I need to see how long it is first, but will most likely purchase anyway. As I said, I liked it. Thanks for the great reviews.

Edited to correct spelling error.

Edited on 08/25/2011 at 1:59:44 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 25, 11 2:05 PM
Wow! What a great game. Definitely an A+ for me. I personally like more games and less HOG screens. Games are not too hard. A definite buy for me. With school beginning again, just with I had more time to play. One of the best games in some time. To me, better than the other two Awakenings. Graphics are clear. There is some voice over, but not with all characters in the game. A++

maggisaxby
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by maggisaxby on Aug 25, 11 2:16 PM
Is everyone so sure this is a good one? I found the graphics clunky....Very styalised...Plus not very hard. played about 30 mins. Not for me..........I might be difficult to please... **** HUM!................ But do try the demo. for fun!

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

Re:Reviews for Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dogma45 on Aug 25, 11 2:29 PM
thanks BFG this is a really nice game and is fun to play! Graphics and all are beautiful . Just purchased and off to play!

[Post New]by woodspinner on Aug 25, 11 3:19 PM
SG seems to show 4 chapters plus the epilogue. I got 1/2 way through Chapter 3 in the 1 hour trial. So not even worth it to wait for the SE. What a disappointment.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 25, 11 3:38 PM
hey dark,,, how short is short.....that is my barometer also...

SantaBanana
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by SantaBanana on Aug 25, 11 3:41 PM
woodspinner wrote:SG seems to show 4 chapters plus the epilogue. I got 1/2 way through Chapter 3 in the 1 hour trial. So not even worth it to wait for the SE. What a disappointment.

How did you get to Chapter 3 in the trial?

My trial ended in Chapter 1, and then I got a message to buy the full version.

Ourself94
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by Ourself94 on Aug 25, 11 4:57 PM
I demoed this game and loved it! Can't wait to try it all the way through.

[Post New]by woodspinner on Aug 25, 11 5:38 PM
Santa - I have no clue and didn't even realize this was a demo and not an hour until I read some other posts.All I know is that I fixed the elevator, rode it down to the train station; mucked about, got another elevator button, rode it down to the mine, came back and fixed the motor to lower the bridge across the train tracks and stopped. Now if this is still all chapter one and you revisit the places I just mentioned, than I'm wrong and it's longer than I thought. Just checked my purchase history and didn't buy it by mistake. Can't find a walkthrough anywhere. If and when I do, I'll confirm how far I got in the demo time.

SantaBanana
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by SantaBanana on Aug 25, 11 5:43 PM
woodspinner wrote:Can't find a walkthrough anywhere. If and when I do, I'll confirm how far I got in the demo time.

Can't find walkthrough? You mentioned in your previous post that you checked the SG. That IS the walkthrough.

aquix
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
433 Posts

[Post New]by aquix on Aug 25, 11 6:00 PM
cherbtoo wrote:I this game and this whole series and I was having fun until HMV interrupted play and insisted I get on with today's chores, spoilsport .

The graphics are wonderful on my computer but there again I too am using an ATI card and I will be sticking with ATI when I buy my next computer. The continuing story is good and I left my speakers on the whole time .

I also love the fact that there isn't a H0 scene at every turn as they get boring when you have to do one for every single item that you need to use to progress to the next section of the game.

All the puzzles I have come across so far were good ... and I even did the Spot The Difference one at the start without becoming frustrated and cursing all those type puzzles. So far I haven't had to skip any of them, ask for a hint or even peek at the SG ... I assume that there is one. In the meantime I am keeping my fins crossed that the game is a long one and also has a good length bonus play to justify my spending the extra money and buying the CE instead of the SE.

Great game so far BoomZap and thanks for keeping the cute pocket dragon.

Cherb

Please let us know about the length and quality of the bonus play! I sometimes like to reward developers of good games (and encourage more good game development! ) by purchasing the CE instead of the SE, but only if the bonus play is not ridiculously short.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Aug 25, 11 7:00 PM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:
sunidayz wrote:This game was okay. A bit too many mini games for my taste. It seemed like there was one every move you made and some of them were confusing. At least there were quick skip buttons and no penalties for skipping them. Another demo which ended when the 60 mins. wasn't up yet. Coming across that more and more lately. Have meant to point that out but always forget. That kind of irks me. You are given 60 mins. of free game time , you should get it. Why are all the developers doing that now? (Just had to get that off my chest.....) I would rate this a 7 out of 10.
You don't get 60 min. It's a trial.

Depends if you're on a Mac or a PC. Macs get the full 60 minute demo. PCs get a sample. Not sure why, but at least there's one advantage to being on a Mac.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Aug 25, 11 7:57 PM
I found the graphics just superb, the music is doable (I turned it way down which I usually do) and although the play was rather simplistic I did enjoy the refreshing change from the dark themes . While I like the paranormal and some of the creepy, it was beginning to get to me, especially the ones that were asylum based. Those were just totally depressing me .

I love the cartoon style and of course the adorable pet dragon . I wasn't going to buy the CE version but now after rethinking it, I probably will just because the devs are listening to what some of the gamers want and I want to support that.

I wished I would have discovered the strategy guide before I ran out of demo time but from the comments it appears that the length is decent (at least for me).

I would have liked more HOG scenes but then that is my personnel preference. The puzzles though many were not difficult. Some I had just clicked to get the feel of and didn't know I solved them until the sparkles indicated it was complete . What a surprise to me!

Maybe it is just my brain slowing down, but sometimes I'm in a HOG scene and don't realize it is one. There I am looking for objects or puzzles or exits, running my cursor around, only to realize that it is a HOG scene and not a location. This is not the only game in which this happened to me. Boy, talk about feeling foolish!

Perhaps it could have been a little more challenging and still kept the light cartoonish feel of the game, but that is just IMHO. Happy gaming to everyone

[Post New]by WebsiteBoomzap on Aug 25, 11 8:22 PM
woodspinner wrote:SG seems to show 4 chapters plus the epilogue. I got 1/2 way through Chapter 3 in the 1 hour trial. So not even worth it to wait for the SE. What a disappointment.

Hi there Woodspinner. Wanted to let you know that by your description of where you were in your later post, you weren't in Chapter 3 just yet - in fact, the game demo ends at the end of Chapter 1, so you can't have made it that far. Even though you opened up a bunch of different areas, you were still deeply in Chapter 1. So don't despair! There's a LOT more game waiting for you.

Thank you so much for your comments and feedback!

____
Chris Natsuume - Boomzap

kimcol
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by kimcol on Aug 25, 11 8:30 PM
I really enjoyed the first two games in the Awakening series was glad to see a new one. I was glad to see the baby dragon again. I enjoyed the demo; I like the look of it and did not experience any problems running the game on my old computer. I prefer puzzles over a lot of H-O scenes.

I want the game, but I'm hesitant to buy as a CE. I can't decide between this and the new Hidden Expedition game.

Has anyone that purchased found a need for the strategy guide? I didn't need it during the trial. Was the bonus play worth it? Thanks in advance for your answers.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Aug 25, 11 9:41 PM
I enjoyed the first two Awakening games. They're light, fun, fairly easy, a good mixture of HOG/puzzles, with nice soothing music and lovely graphics. This one is no exception. Still no voiceovers for the various characters, narration only in the beginning cutscene (so far). One improvement - it plays in widescreen. Once I found the right resolution to display the whole screen, I didn't encounter anymore glitches during the hour demo.

As for the extras, I liked only one of the wallpapers and made sure to load that before the demo ran out. Music soundtracks are not downloadable, so you can only listen to them while the game is opened. I don't really care for concept art. Tangrams are only available once you finish the game, same as the bonus chapter. I checked out the SG (available only from the menu screen) - first chapter alone was 25 pages, I think I got about halfway through by the end of the hour but can't be sure, so seems like it'll be a good length, same as the others. I didn't need to use the SG though. There are achievements to collect, quite a few of them.

As much as I enjoy these games, I think I will wait for the SE on this one. I need to see more reviews on the bonus chapter first.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Aug 25, 11 10:26 PM
I seem to be in the minority here because I found the storyline too simplistic and the puzzles way too easy; no challenge at all. I usually play in casual mode but this time I played in normal mode and I am so very glad I did. There was more than enough hand-holding in normal mode; I can just imagine that in casual mode a hand pops out of your monitor, grabs the mouse out of your hand and plays the game for you.
Graphics were okay, not as good as I've grown used to in CEs. I might buy this when it comes up as a DD but even the SE price seems too much for me.
But....that's why there's chocolate and vanilla! Happy Gaming to all the fishies that enjoyed this game!

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Aug 26, 11 3:46 AM
I'm now in chapter 2 and still immensly enjoying this game. It's is so beautiful, has outstanding graphics a nice storyline and very relaxing music. For me this is a winner game.

But........, although being a winning game it misses out at points. As several others have already mentioned it is a rather easy game. And that maybe just right for a lot of people but for more experienced gamers the game looses points here big time.

I would have liked an advanced mode build in, because the normal mode is still too easy and doesn't provide much of a challenge so far.

The story is light, cheerfull and faerielike, the pocketdragon that actually purrs is adorable. It's a sweet game without ever getting cheezy.
But it could really do with an advanced mode to make it more challenging for experienced gamers because the puzzles are way too easy.

I would rate it a 4 out of 5.
But Boomzap if another sequel is planned please make it a bit harder and more challenging.

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Aug 26, 11 3:58 AM
Catfish - it gets harder in the latter chapters!

And for even more challenge, try getting all the achievements! To get the Kingdom award, you can't use any hints or skips. There are a few trophies for completing some mini-games within a certain time. And to get the Grandmaster award, you should have gotten all the other trophies. I consider myself a pretty experienced player, but I failed to get this!

Go to: