AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

Re:Review for The Secrets of Arcelia Island

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Aug 28, 11 8:25 AM
This game started out looking good, but then for the 2nd hidden object scene, it took me to the same place where I'd done the 1st one, and that was a real turn off.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 28, 11 10:27 AM

I vote to support darkdisciple1313 to say how he/she feels about any game or subject he/she likes, within the rules of the forum, which he/she has not violated.

Plus, one fishy member does not have the right to suggest to another fishy member that "its time you gave up gaming"!

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 10:29:10 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 28, 11 10:28 AM
I just finished the game, and oh... what a GREAT game this was.

I loved everything about it (and had no technical or any other problems with the game).
I loved the graphics, I loved the gameplay, and the puzzles were not bad either.

The H0 scenes were crisp and clear, and the objects easy enough to find.

Hint and Skip buttons both recharched/charged very quickly - no long hanging around a puzzle if you can`t manage it and want to skip it.

There was just one thing that puzzled me: Every once in a while, if I put an object into a wrong place, I got a FRENCH exclamation, most likely telling me that this was not the right place for it. LOL And next time I added the same wrong item, it came up in English.

I don`t know how many hours I played, but it was a long enough game for me.

I didn`t find all the pieces for the last page in the book, but that is because I was so immersed in the game that I kept forgetting to look for them.

I also liked the fact that I was always able to return to any of the previous areas, which were done with because, as I said before, I kept forgetting to look for pieces of the pages, and was glad I was able to backstep to the previous areas to look for more of them.

All in all, fantastic game.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 28, 11 10:41 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Oh, hack, gag and puke.

I know I'm getting more and more jaded with these games lately, but for the love of all that is holy, can these developers not come up with any original ideas at all?

I could accept this harsh negative criticism, but I was curious which games got the highest positive rank from you, and checked your critic posts (clicked on your user name).

And this is what I found:

"What an incredibly fun game! It combines the best parts of hidden-object games (searching for things you actually need, as opposed to the ridiculous, such as wrenches, feathers and screws) and time-management games, which I usually don't enjoy playing. I'll be getting this with one of my tokens next month, and I thank those who recommended this in the forums of other games. Cheers!" (about 'Settlement Collossus').

The majority negative criticism was mainly about HOG/Adventure games.

Well, Lady, after I discovered which genre you like - I know which genre you hate... . This is not a constructive criticism - this is pure genre hate - and I find it redundant. It's like a Time Management genre player comments about Match-3 or HOG genre.

Really naughty.

You are so thin skinned in your protective attitude about this game I wonder if you are associated with the dev or related to the dev in some way...

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 10:42:16 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 28, 11 10:58 AM
jkuci wrote:You are so thin skinned in your protective attitude about this game I wonder if you are associated with the dev or related to the dev in some way...

Oh dear... not again. I keep hearing this about being associated with the developers, just because someone defends a game.

I too defend a game if someone slams it out of proportion, and if I think it`s really a great game.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 28, 11 11:10 AM
Valdy wrote:
jkuci wrote:You are so thin skinned in your protective attitude about this game I wonder if you are associated with the dev or related to the dev in some way...

Oh dear... not again. I keep hearing this about being associated with the developers, just because someone defends a game.

I too defend a game if someone slams it out of proportion, and if I think it`s really a great game.

Valdy, I know you would not suggest, "Perhaps it's time you gave up gaming"....

[Post New]by sphinxvictorian on Aug 28, 11 12:14 PM
What a great little game. After playing all the way through, I loved the design -- very attractive! -- and the pulp/fantasy atmosphere. The characters were diverse and interesting and the plot (for once) made some sort of sense. Although the HOGs were a little mundane without being annoyingly so, the puzzles were quite interesting if a touch on the easy side. Thank heavens, the heroine wasn't an idiot, and any game with incidental snarky fairies has a point in its favor IMHO. All in all, great value for my money and a fun afternoon. I'll certainly be buying the sequel if there is one.

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 12:16:10 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 28, 11 12:26 PM
jkuci wrote:
Valdy wrote:

No, I wouldn´t. As you said yourself in answer to my post in the other thread: Each to their own.
But I don`t recall seeing that comment in Rebeca_Lily`s post either, unless I missed something.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 28, 11 12:45 PM
Valdy wrote:
jkuci wrote:
Valdy wrote:

No, I wouldn´t. As you said yourself in answer to my post in the other thread: Each to their own.
But I don`t recall seeing that comment in Rebeca_Lily`s post either, unless I missed something.

No, netnanna said that in a tag-team effort. Everyone should be able to have their opinion within forum rules without being told to basically shut up and go away....

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Aug 28, 11 2:59 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:
netnanna wrote:Well aren't you just the cynic!! Reading through the forum, you've been outvoted by the majority of players. Perhaps it's time you gave up gaming and did the developing you're so critical of.

Cynical? Maybe. Tired of seeing the same plotlines, the same tired gamplay, the same puzzles with little variation (pipes, sliders, assembly, etc), and so on and so forth? Most definitely. If that makes me cynical, fine. I expect better because I've played better. BFG has numerous games that are high-water marks in this kind of gaming. I don't think Arcelia Island is one of them, by a long shot.

If I feel that a game is less-than-stellar, then I have the right to say so, the same as the rest of you have the right to love it. Since this isn't a democracy, in and of itself, "outvoted" is an irrelevant concept in a forum like this. Since I am only disparaging the game itself, and not those playing it, my post is as valid as anyone else's.

Finally, a website that only includes positive posts about anything is not a place that is welcome to all: it is merely a fan club. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I agree you have the right to have your own opinion, and to air it on the forum, especially if developers actually DO read the comments, because I agree with so many you have made, however, I felt the developers really tried in this game, to bring a variety into everything. Between fairy woods, shipwrecks on evil islands waiting to be saved by hero/heroine, I was waiting for ET to show up!! Anyway, keep up the comments you lovely fishies, whether they be negative or positive opinions, they are all valid.
(Still, I did enjoy the game!)

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 28, 11 4:28 PM
This was a pretty good game... I did not think the puzzles were to hard. Enjoyed playing.

Kathyju77
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyju77 on Aug 28, 11 9:05 PM
I am really enjoying this game, for one it's running w/o any glitches, etc. It's a simple, fun game and very relaxing! My kind of game!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 29, 11 2:15 AM
jkuci wrote:
I vote to support darkdisciple1313 to say how he/she feels about any game or subject he/she likes, within the rules of the forum, which he/she has not violated.

Plus, one fishy member does not have the right to suggest to another fishy member that "its time you gave up gaming"!

Totally agree with you here. Stronger. I see darkdisciple1313 as one of the best, if not THE best reviewer.

Keep up the good work darkdisciple! Always looking forward to your reviews!

CasualGran

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 29, 11 8:08 AM
"Well, bless your heart, DarkDisciple"! You do, indeed, have every right to spin your gamesmanship opinion about this or any other game. I must admit, though, that your opening line was a bit graphic ("Hack, Gag, Puke"), but it definitely got your point across right away!

I'm not too sure that this release deserves quite that much vitriol, but it's not by any means a star-studded performance either. The first two H0 scenes are repeaters, and a venture into a "Fairy Forest" just doesn't seem to go with the overall theme.

I hereby agree, though, that you didn't warrant being called on the carpet, and then invited to exile yourself to somewhere else! Technical foul there!

Regards, elldee

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Aug 29, 11 11:32 AM
Dear ELDEE 2728
You put that very eloquently.Dark Disciple didnit do anything wrong and followed the rules and her review was very good.I have to say the game was all right but it felt like I played it already and that is some of what I felt Dark was saying Dark Desciple please keep writing there's always some fishies that don't know how to swim in the pond nicely Also I'm with CherbToo just out of principle I won't buy this game from the dev trick of sending you to the net when you exit

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Aug 29, 11 2:27 PM
Let's keep in mind that everyone has a right to post a review, as long as the review is based on the game and not on someone else's review.

The moderation team is here to handle anything else one may find questionable.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Aug 29, 11 3:20 PM
Can we please keep the review section for reviews? I came here to get an insight on the game, not to read two pages of backstabbing. Please keep your personal opinions of each others comments to yourself or take it somewhere else and let the rest of us get on with gaming.

judithg315
Herring
Herring
371 Posts

[Post New]by judithg315 on Aug 29, 11 3:48 PM
darkhalf01 wrote:Can we please keep the review section for reviews? I came here to get an insight on the game, not to read two pages of backstabbing. Please keep your personal opinions of each others comments to yourself or take it somewhere else and let the rest of us get on with gaming.

DITTO!!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 29, 11 7:31 PM
darkhalf01 wrote:Can we please keep the review section for reviews? I came here to get an insight on the game, not to read two pages of backstabbing. Please keep your personal opinions of each others comments to yourself or take it somewhere else and let the rest of us get on with gaming.

Well said

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Aug 29, 11 11:54 PM
So far I've only played the hour demo, but really liked it. I enjoy a little fairy land now and again. That being said, no, the story is not an original, but as I learned in my creative wrtiting class, there are only 11 original stories and everything else is a variation. I am enjoying this variation and will probably buy it.

Go to: