Annabellum
Salmon
Salmon
2,531 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper

[Post New]by Annabellum on Aug 30, 11 5:22 PM
I played most of the hour demo of this game...Jack the Ripper...here is my take:
Graphics very nice, I love good graphics...
Voiceovers were ok...
Play was pretty easy..
Story concept was interesting in that you were different people with different points of view...fortuneteller, newspaperman.etc..
Oh yes, you are definitely in England...If you are not a BBC-ophile you might miss some hog scene references....
If they had just chosen a different story...one that everyone in the world doesn't know backward and foreward...it would have been on my definitely buy list...I want a mystery that is one....The story is important to me....
Anna

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 30, 11 6:53 PM
crazy8club wrote:Holy guacamole , this is one long game. I started around 9 am and just finished it at 7;10 pm. Course I took a lunch and din din break .

Can't figure how this would have to do with the occult as I only saw signs of the zodiac.Oh well this was one heck of a game to play with no walkthrough.

graphics A
music A- way down low
voice A volume down low
costume design A+ with the time
length A+

Thanks for the length information!

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Aug 30, 11 8:58 PM
I enjoyed the game myself. It was different. I enjoyed the hunt and find, and deciding what had to be put together. I took my time and it was a decent lenght. Was a little gorey with the details of murders, but its a game.

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Aug 30, 11 9:36 PM
What a pity!! Good concept, new angle on the story by using a clairvoyant predicting the murders, good graphics (I loved the scenes, so very Victorian London), but the mini-games/puzzles were far too easy, a no buy for me I'm sorry to say.

[Post New]by emilialucinda on Aug 30, 11 11:21 PM
cherbtoo wrote:First of all let me tell you that if you do not like crystal balls and tarot cards this game has them because you play the part of clairvoyant Emma de Ville who uses both. I haven't heard a cockney accent for a long time but it sounds to me as though whoever played her got it right .

There are two modes of play and I chose the hardest and there was nothing to tell you that something was hidden in the area until you found it however a couple of random clicks on something gets you penalised and the cursor shakes . To my way of thinking when you are playing a HOPA which has adventure type elements you should have the freedom to click on something if you think it looks useful and penalties (if the devs must put them in) should only be incurred when you click incorrectly in the hidden object scenes.

Talking of the hidden object scenes, some of the items are blended into the background thus making them difficult to spot, particularly the wrench.

While I like wandering around in some games I was pleased to see that Emma had a street map and all you had to do to get to the police station was to click on it . The sound of the footsteps adds to the atmosphere .

So far I have incurred the click penalty several times because I also involuntary click and they get counted as bad clicks too and after 40 minutes I got fed up of being told off and so will not be purchasing this game no matter how good it turns out to be.

Cherb

THANK YOU!!! re: if you do not like crystal balls and tarot cards this game has them

[Post New]by sharkbaitoohaha on Aug 31, 11 2:06 AM
I didn't get to play more than 30 min's worth. B/c my son woke up b/c of growing pains, so I had to stop and take care of him. When I tried to come back to the game and pick up where I left off, I couldn't.

The main menu of the game showed Jack the Ripper, "options", "welcome (my name)" and that was it. I couldn't get back to my game. I clicked all over that screen,...nothing. I mean NOTHING happened.

Why would I want to buy a game, that I can't return to? I'm a single mother, I need pause buttons, and being able to return to the game.

I thought it would be a pretty decent game, but I can't give an honest opinion b/c that whole messed up menu threw everything off and now I want nothing to do with the game.

crispypot
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by crispypot on Aug 31, 11 2:16 AM
a lot of us are enjoying the game but sadly it has come up with a blip, we all picked up a jug of water, went to use it, and its vanished, cant move on with the game.
so frustrating to say the least because i did buy it, any tips anyone ?????
Do we start again ? do we re dowmnload or do we just bin it ??

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 31, 11 6:01 AM
elldee2728 wrote:This game is an improvement from the developer's first attempt--"Real Crimes--Jack The Ripper."

Regards, elldee

I didn`t care for Real Crimes: Jack the Ripper and I really don`t like this game either.

This is not a bad game, but it has a very old-fashioned feel: graphics are not excellent, the images look like the game has been made some years ago, and gameplay is somewhat boring. Also, the game is not very smooth. I click on things and in many cases I need to click once or twice more in order to get a reaction.

Sorry, but this is a no-buy for me.

[Post New]by ehicks002 on Aug 31, 11 6:45 AM
Does anyone have the KEY to open the game. I found the game on Wendy's Forum but htere was no key to open it. I'm desperate here. email if so... [removed by moderator]

Edited on 08/31/2011 at 11:01:16 AM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Aug 31, 11 7:27 AM
I don't think that anyone is going to post a key to a cracked game you got elsewhere, on the site that is selling the legal version of the game - lol.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 31, 11 8:30 AM
crazy8club wrote:Holy guacamole , this is one long game. I started around 9 am and just finished it at 7;10 pm. Course I took a lunch and din din break .

Can't figure how this would have to do with the occult as I only saw signs of the zodiac.Oh well this was one heck of a game to play with no walkthrough.

graphics A
music A- way down low
voice A volume down low
costume design A+ with the time
length A+

I totally agree with you. It is a long game. I have been playing it all day and enjoying it very much.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Aug 31, 11 9:46 AM
Click, click, click, click - mundane game. would never buy.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 31, 11 12:39 PM
Actually not a bad game. Graphics nice, voice over very nice, clothing appropriate, music nice. Some of the items are extremely small and very difficult to see, games very easy. Nice game for a beginner, but not for me. Next time.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 31, 11 1:05 PM
Definitely not for me. Way too much occult, too much blood and gore, etc. Granted it is about Jack the Ripper, but since when does Jack the Ripper have anything to do with the occult?

The game play itself is fine. I played on the advanced level and didn't really have trouble finding any of the objects. There are ample hints in case someone were to have trouble. I think I got to about 10 minutes into the game and deleted it simply because of all the occultic images and references. Sorry BF, but not buy for me.

For crazy8club, the whole game is basically occultic. In just my ten minutes of play, I saw crystal balls, healing crystals, tarot cards, etc.

Edited on 08/31/2011 at 1:07:45 PM PST

suzyoz
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by suzyoz on Aug 31, 11 1:47 PM
Well I've played for about 2 1/2 hours (just stopped for a cuppa) & I am really enjoying this game. I always play with the sound off but may have to turn up voices to hear this great accent (I love ALL accents). Have always enjoyed stuff from the late 1800's (have you watched Murdoch Mysteries?). Re: the occult stuff I believe there was a HUGE interest in the occult in this time period.

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Aug 31, 11 1:48 PM
I totally enjoyed this game. Good graphics and smooth game play.

bluesea30
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper - Review and Comments

[Post New]by bluesea30 on Aug 31, 11 6:20 PM
layzeedaisy wrote:
anubischick I do have to correct you on one point, though You would have found baseball bats in 19th Century England. It actually started in England. There's even a mention of it in Northanger Abbey and that was written just before 1800. wrote:

Well, I never ! We sent baseball to America, how about that !!! And dare I say it's the best place for it ?

Your comment was rude and unprovoked..FAIL..

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Aug 31, 11 6:36 PM
Hmmm....not too sure about this one. I really don't like not being able to click thru the dialog but have to wait on it. The game seems a bit "slow moving"...not technically - just gamewise. H0 scenes were OK for the most part although some objects are partially hidden behind others. Cannot comment on voices or sound as I have the speakers turned off. I really don't care for this type of graphics....I like the "real life - looking ones" such as in DG. I could probably "live" with the tarot cards, etc although I really dislike them.

I've gotten to chapter 3 in about 40 minutes so would like to see a walk-through just for length of game. No technical difficulties encountered thus far with the game.

I just don't know....will have to think about this one for a while before deciding.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Aug 31, 11 6:55 PM
I don't have a problem with the bloody aspects of the game; I've read lots of books about the Ripper and watch movies far gorier than anything here. I also don't have a problem with Tarot cards; I have a Tarot deck myself. But I don't like mediums/psychics solving crimes. It bores me.

Found one amusing aspect of this game. Medium needs laudenum. Click on bottle it says only enough for one dose. Watch her take medicine in video, the bottle is full! So one bottle is only enough for one night?

Also, way too much dialogue. A little is not bad, but this was way too much for me. I liked the trial version of the other Ripper game and it is still on my list of future buys. But this one won't be.

AmberKB
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by AmberKB on Aug 31, 11 7:33 PM
I wanted to try and like it, but I got an error as soon as I attempted to start off the game, so maybe that was a warning!

I got through a few minutes, but the blood...all the red just turned my stomach. I usually have a strong stomach but...just something about the red. It's a no-buy from me.

Go to: