vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

Re:Reviews for My Kingdom for the Princess III

[Post New]by vingilot on Aug 31, 11 7:27 PM
For Mac players, this game works perfectly in CrossOver, no issues with menu bar or dock showing or popping up. It doesn't display in widescreen, so graphics a wee bit on the tiny side. Same basic game mechanic.

Narrator still unnecessarily enthusiastic, and now tells you when you won trophies during the level, rather than just waiting until the end of the level to show you what trophies you won. (A little banner displays under your resources bar and doesn't interrupt game play.) There are still the wolf attack levels, but much more reasonable, wolves not as fast or rabid. I didn't feel harried once while whacking those wolves. They added a pop up warning whenever you get too many resources and put a red-light indicator as well. During power ups, there's sparkly lights on whatever the power up is for (extra worker, speedy boots, renew resources faster, etc).

The story - it's 25 years later and Arthur and Helen's sons are vying for the hand of a Princess Forgot-her-name-already. Map is different - doesn't show the different islands and therefore no progress road through the islands. Castle is some sort of ice palace. You also have little hearts to collect on each level. Each round has 12 levels and there are 5 rounds. Got to level 10 of the first round before the hour demo cut out. There's also developer's records to break again.

Seems like a worthy addition to the MKFTP franchise.

Edited on 08/31/2011 at 7:30:47 PM PST

[Post New]by chris122049 on Aug 31, 11 8:36 PM
I'm a little confused............was the bashing of the wolves and snakes just in MKFTP 2 but not in MKFTP 1?? And I know the bashing of the wolves seems to still be in 3 but are the snakes still in 3, too?

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Aug 31, 11 8:49 PM
chris122049 wrote:I'm a little confused............was the bashing of the wolves and snakes just in MKFTP 2 but not in MKFTP 1?? And I know the bashing of the wolves seems to still be in 3 but are the snakes still in 3, too?

No bashing in #1.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Aug 31, 11 9:04 PM
I have not played the games in this series before because I find TM games stressful. But I went ahead and played the 1 hr demo and it's a very nice TM game - I can see why so many fishies like it. But anything timed stresses me out to no end. I play games to relax. Had there been an option to turn off the timer I would purchase but I did not see an option for that. Now I've got to get my blood pressure down and take a few deep breaths! (Maybe a )

[Post New]by aweber on Aug 31, 11 9:06 PM
For all you haters of the animal-bashing levels, you can essentially skip them - I just let a wolf reach the house and then clicked no when it asked if I wanted to try again. Then it let me move on to the next level without completing the previous one. Only downside is you get a silver shield instead of the gold one for the level.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Aug 31, 11 11:10 PM
To continue my earlier review (which I wrote after the demo):

This version really isn't much different from MKFRP 2. The story is different, but the game play really isn't and, I must admit, seems easier: I have gotten gold on most levels the first time through, although I have had to replay a few of them. The different placement of the power-ups doesn't bother me any more; someone asked where the timer was, and it took me ages to notice that--it's in the upper left-hand corner.

The artifacts vary from level to level: on the first, you have to collect hearts (for the love of Princess Elizabeth); on the fourth it's a crown (because you are fighting to regain your lazy brother's jungle country).

The part that I am finding harder is the minigame where you have to make it through an obstacle course avoiding various hostile objects (tornadoes, bats, a dragon, birds, etc.) as you ride to your brothers' house. The course is trickier than in the second game and the enemies are more aggressive--the first bat even follows you! These levels I have had to play several times. The animals in the bashing levels do vary; I've encountered wolves, hornets, snakes, and specters. They seem overall less aggressive than in MKFRP 2.

Some of the music is the same--in at least some of the desert locations, it's the old desert music from earlier versions, but some of the levels have a bright tune in 4/4 time, which actually helps win the level IMHO.

For the fans of this series, these new scenarios will be fun. I'm enjoying it, but I'm hoping that Royal Envoy 2 will be better!

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Aug 31, 11 11:29 PM
I am enjoying the game, except for the mini-games where you have to get throught the obstacle course - with a bat that follows you and gets me at least three times and then - if I get passed that - you get to the end and have to hit some silly creature with a crossbow - only if you hit it - nothing happens and it just hits you back and voila you lose (well that is my experience).

I hate playing a game without being able to get gold and I know gold is impossible, for me, on that level - very disappointing.

If there is a fourth in this series I won't be buying if it continues with the bashing of the animals and these silly mini-games as not being able to actually get gold on them and thus complete the castle means you can't complete the game itself.

ShazPG
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

[Post New]by ShazPG on Sep 1, 11 12:13 AM
Didn't #1 have the levels where there was no building, but you just had to have everyone running around to collect gold? I really enjoyed those levels. Would be more than happy to play them instead.

[Post New]by foxglove2248 on Sep 1, 11 3:10 AM
I enjoy MKP and purchased all 3, I only have 2 complaints

1. I had hand surgery so doing the thumping minis are difficult for me
to do, I wish I could bypass it & still get the gold shield, I will have
go with the silver..

2. I don't like that the next level & replay buttons are next to each other, ..........
I don't know why, but by accident hit replay.... sometimes

I hope they keep developing them, great fun!

Edited on 09/01/2011 at 3:13:40 AM PST

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Sep 1, 11 4:52 AM
This is a great game and not as easy as the title might make you think. It's like Wedding Dash..you cruise along and then it's all of a sudden "WOW! This level is tough!"

Highly recommend! YAY!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Sep 1, 11 6:23 AM
emmyjayne wrote:I have not played the games in this series before because I find TM games stressful. But I went ahead and played the 1 hr demo and it's a very nice TM game - I can see why so many fishies like it. But anything timed stresses me out to no end. I play games to relax. Had there been an option to turn off the timer I would purchase but I did not see an option for that. Now I've got to get my blood pressure down and take a few deep breaths! (Maybe a )

this is one of the few builders where you cant continue if you dont finish,,,,most are timed just to get gold score(still want builders to have thier own catagory) try this thread http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/165507.page ( a new love building games from tm,
it has a lot of games you might like ,

Liz_Lemon
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by Liz_Lemon on Sep 1, 11 7:43 AM
And here goes another weekend.

rumtmtiger
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by rumtmtiger on Sep 1, 11 10:14 AM
I bought the game because I enjoyed I and II. This one is not my favorite. What I really don't like about this one is that I am in the second chapter and for the past few segments there is no way to built a lot of buildings you need. Like a sawmill, mine, etc. Why have you build 4 fisherman's huts and no sawmill? I find it really limits you on how you want to play the game. Not my favorite. Also, don't like the bashing. Does not do my arthritis fingers any good.

mom68
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by mom68 on Sep 1, 11 11:13 AM
Yep...I hate the voice in this game as well as the time limit, and agree that not giving the game purchaser time to even finish a level before the time ends is not a way to have people still buy the game. I won't buy this game. I'm checking out "Hidden World" right now. And BTW, fellow Fishes, I noticed that a new Farm Frenzy game is also coming out...Viking Heroes!

So, hopefully we'll have two really good building, TM games out really soon on BFG!

Happy Gaming!

rumtmtiger
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by rumtmtiger on Sep 1, 11 11:59 AM
You may want to wait. I found Roads of Rome III on a different site. Should be here shortly. MUCH better than this game!

mom68
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by mom68 on Sep 1, 11 3:13 PM
Roads of Rome III? I'm in heaven! Thanks for the great news!

BTW...I just demo'd "Hidden World" and LOVED it. Cannot wait to have in BFG!

Happy Gaming!

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Sep 1, 11 4:18 PM
Hi fishies,

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has been reserved for reviews of MKFTP3 only.

If you haven't played this game yet, or if you're looking to chat with other players about this game, please feel free to join the conversation already in progress over in the 'My Kingdom for the Princess III' thread.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Sep 1, 11 4:36 PM
TMs are not my favorite, but I tried Royal Envoy not too long ago and really liked it so I gave this one a try. The gameplay is fun and the first few levels are fairly easy. However, my biggest complaint would be that you can't progress if you run out of time before completing the tasks. I'm stuck on a level right now and have tried it so many times, it's not fun anymore. So I guess I'll have to wait awhile and come back and give it another shot. Otherwise, that's pretty much it, I can't go any further. One other aspect of RE that makes it vastly superior IMO, is that you decide which types of buildings to build, where as with MKFTP, you're stuck with what's there.

Edited on 09/01/2011 at 4:38:41 PM PST

kimberph
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by kimberph on Sep 1, 11 6:52 PM
I'll admit I'm only about 3/4 through with the second group so I'm still hopeful that this will get harder, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Why have they made this so much easier? I'm blowing the developer's record away on almost half the levels on my first try. Where is the challenge in that? I was so excited that 2 was actually harder than and more interesting than 1 (a rarity in sequels where they usual regress toward the mean) and I had high hopes for 3 being at least as challenging as 2. I don't regret buying, but I am disappointed that the developers apparently caved into the whining of the people who don't want a challenging game.

And I have the same complaints as others about the arcade levels. If I wanted to play arcade games, I'd buy them. I don't. I want to play strategy games.

OK, I've finished the game now. Got gold on every level on my first try (excluding a few of the arcade levels, but I'm trying to pretend they don't exist) and the pattern of blowing away the developer score on about half on my first try persisted. So, definitely way to easy. Developers, please take note. There are millions of easy games out there. I get that you want to appeal to the lowest common denominator to maximize sales, but some of us like to work for our wins. How about it?!?

Edited on 09/04/2011 at 8:54:08 PM PST

rebeccak
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by rebeccak on Sep 1, 11 8:21 PM
The first two games in this series are my favorite games from Big Fish. This current one is far too easy and so I don't really have a reason to replay it. It seems it was rushed in production compared to the first two. I also don't like the sparkly graphics when you select the power-up that replenishes resources faster. I will have to look elsewhere for a challenge.

Go to: