staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Re:Reviews for Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek Collector's Edition

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Sep 1, 11 6:02 PM
Hi everyone

Overall, this is a great game, and worth every penny of the CE price. I bought it after the demo and I have enjoyed every minute of playing it, which has been a long time, over 7 hours of play time without the bonus game. I have been playing on and off all day, so much so that I don't really know where all my time has gone

I played in hard mode( no hints, no help) which is tough, although I did manage to find my way around. I only needed minimal help from the SE( if you don't find every piece of evidence when you need it, the game goes nowhere until you do, so look EVERYWHERE!) The HOG scenes are very challenging( a little bit junkpile) and the puzzles are excellent. I also loved the graphics, voiceovers, cut scenes and the music. The story is awesome, involving and complex for this type of game.
The detective deduction page feature really gets you involved in solving the mystery that is at the heart of the game. This is one of the best ones to come along in quite awhile, and should appeal to many players, although it is dark and full of demonic themes, so those who don't like those kinds of games you are warned. Otherwise, this is a great game that everyone should try.

My grades:

Special Features( voiceovers, cutscenes): A+
Graphics: A
Music: A
Gameplay: A
Puzzles: A
HOG scenes: B+( they can be hard)
Mode of play( hard mode) -A ( excellent and challenging)
Game Issues: none

Overall Grade: A

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 1, 11 7:10 PM
I started out really liking this game. I think the best parts are in the beginning. It started out promising and then got real boring. It goes from one junkpile HOG to another and not much else inbetween. Not very many puzzles. A waste of 13.99 in my opinion. Jack the ripper was better and it wasn't a CE and it was longer. I know everyone is loving this game so I don't want to be a spoil sport but there isn't a whole lot happening in this game thats fun. IMO.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Sep 1, 11 8:50 PM
What can I say! I LOVE this game! It is my #1 type of game!

The story is good but the graphics are absolutely beautiful. The in-game animations are nice!! I haven't found the H0 scenes to be too difficult yet. Some of the minigames are a bit hard for me to figure out even with the "instructions" but that is OK...it wouldn't be much fun if they were all easy. There is quite a lot of "back and forth" for me but I tend to "go my own way" and not follow the SG...actually, I prefer to use the hint and haven't used the SG for game play. The hint will direct me back on track if I veer too far off, then I can figure out from there what I need to do.

I stopped playing after about 50 minutes of the trial and checked the SG to see how much longer the game was...it is long! But, in checking the SG, I found there was a map which I always like to see.

All in all, this game will be the first one I order this month!

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 1, 11 9:10 PM
So many of the reviews were positive so I decided to play the demo and I was really enjoying it. I thought of using my two credits on it but I wanted to check the rest of the reviews, first, to make sure I would like it. I was thinking, great! I'll like this one-until I got to the last page of reviews and read staciepie27's review which mentioned that the game is "full of demonic themes". I was so disappointed. I really hoped this would be a game I could love. The graphics are so well done and the voice-overs are great. I guess I just have to accept the fact that I am in the minority when it comes to these dark, demonic games. I just don't understand why there has to be so many of them. It's just sad to me that there can't be a few more really good mystery IHOGS that don't incorporate the occult themes. Thank you, staciepie27, for pointing that out. It prevented me from wasting a couple of credits.

Menesa
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by Menesa on Sep 1, 11 10:35 PM
After reading all the download/tech problems I was a little hesitant to even try the game but after a 14min download time of the trial and 15 min into the game I was hooked so its a buy for me ...
Thanks BFG a good game in my fave genre,.dark thriller fantasy .
So far the game rates a pretty well with me and I dont give credit unless its due lol

[Post New]by BrandyKeyWest on Sep 1, 11 11:47 PM
We need more games like this! Smart and interesting.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 2, 11 1:46 AM
I just want to say thank you to the developers for doing something out of the box. The theme might be the same old same old but who doesn't like a good mystery. I absolutely LOVEEE the concept of the evidence board and showing what is written in the journal at the same time. I hardly ever read the journal in games because its tedious and I don't need it for anything BUT this game shows you what is being written in there using the evidence board YOU put together. It makes me feel like an actual detective. I played the demo on hard mode, I was very intrigued with it. It looks like there will be lots of things to discover and it kind of reminded me of "Camp Crystal Lake" like in Friday the 13th only I didnt see a lake lol but the point is its very cabin in woods, creepy camp feeling to it. I don't buy CE's out of principle, unless there is a sale like last weeks but I CANNOT wait until this game is released on MAC because the graphics will be even more gorgeous and its a SE. Thank you developers for creating a game different than all the rest. I look forward to more

Id also like to point out Im usually the debbie downer in the group as I never seem to find games anymore that live up to my expectations SO me telling you this is a fabulous game should really not be taken lightly. Its very rare I give praise but this game definitely deserves A LOT of it =)

Edited on 09/02/2011 at 2:03:23 AM PST

dashes
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

Re:Review for Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dashes on Sep 2, 11 2:16 AM
TeamSD wrote:This game is AMAZING!!! Graphics are really high quality, great! Story is interesting and the atmosphere of the game is really creepy.... Voice overs are also very good, puzzles are fun and HOG scenes are not too much and they're not hard also. I've bought the game since the first 10-20 mins of gameplay cuz i loved it very much and 'm glad i did that because according to the SG, the game should be long and the bonus chapter should be also quite long!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A
Music: A*
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!
love your grading for games

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 2, 11 3:16 AM

I felt the same way, the first chapter looked really promising, I thought this is going to be a great game, but later in the next chapters I got more and more disapponted!
don't get me wrong, the game is good, but lately, I noticed, than the C E of some productions and devps, have become a mirrror for the skylarks!
I appreciate and undurstand the whole work behind these games, and I buy often C E, but I definetly miss some games of the previuos years, maybe am I just tired?
I don't know, it could be!
Don't forget, above dvlps, that in these ponds, there are skywalkers as well!!!

mhatfie wrote:I started out really liking this game. I think the best parts are in the beginning. It started out promising and then got real boring. It goes from one junkpile HOG to another and not much else inbetween. Not very many puzzles. A waste of 13.99 in my opinion. Jack the ripper was better and it wasn't a CE and it was longer. I know everyone is loving this game so I don't want to be a spoil sport but there isn't a whole lot happening in this game thats fun. IMO.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Sep 2, 11 5:13 AM
I played about half the demo last night before I got annoyed and closed it out. I will probably finish the demo when I'm less tired, but honestly I didn't like this one all that much. It is indeed an extremely well-made game, great graphics, clear H0 scenes, lots to figure out ( I always play on hard mode). But the voiceovers were, in my opinion, way too "dramatic" ...hammy, sort of, and the woman sounded older (voice) than her picture. The only other voice I got to so far was the young man who falls by the fence (presumably the boyfriend)..how old is he, maybe 20ish?? And his voice was hammy, overdone, and sounded the wrong age to me too.

I know many ppl like voiceovers, I for one usually dislike (and sometimes hate) them, because they are rarely done to my liking. Yea I'm fussy about it lol. There have been many games w/ great voiceovers but I just don't think this is one of them. Seems a shame they had to use "out of the box" voice actors since the rest of the game seems quite promising.

Won't be buying the CE as I rarely do, but when the SE comes out I will probably buy.

juleslorraine
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by juleslorraine on Sep 2, 11 7:05 AM
This is a fantastic game! It sort of reminded me of MCF format which I totally adore! I couldn't even take myself away from the game yesterday to do my much needed laundry..So guess what I'm doing today?

The graphics are superb and voice overs are very well done. Not to mention, the game is quite lengthy. What I did do was play on casual mode first just to see how the game was and I loved it so much, that I will play it on the harder level this weekend...unless of course, another game comes out that I just have to play!

Thanks BFG for another winner IMO!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 2, 11 9:23 AM
I saw 3 screenshots of this game at another site, and was awed with the graphics. However, most of the graphics, when I played this game, didn`t exactly keel me over with excitement.

I played the trial version for an hour, but I didn`t really feel the urge to go and buy the game this minute. Usually I know after 10 minutes whether I want to buy a game or not, and I didn`t get that feeling with this game.

I didn`t like the overly cluttered H0 scenes, which had graphics that were clear, but looked somewhat like those from older HOGs.

I like the gameplay and the puzzles, and I love rainy games (love storms and rain), and this is one of the very few games that actually fill my whole screen on my widescreen laptop monitor. That is a plus.

However, after I played for an hour, I really wasn`t enthusiastic enough about the game to buy the CE. But I will be buying the SE version when it`s out.

ETA: The voice of the woman was, IMO, first class. This was a nice even English voice, not too high, not too deep, not with some silly accent, but just a nice English accent, and not over the top.

Edited some more to add: I take back some of my earlier statements. I did buy the game the next day and looked at it from a different angle. I suppose that sometimes you just have to go away and then come back at a later time to appreciate something you didn`t in the first place.

Edited on 09/05/2011 at 4:22:04 AM PST

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Sep 2, 11 11:22 AM
This is such a gorgeous game, so even though I just bought 3 others, I could not help myself and picked this one up right after the demo. The graphics are lush and fun. I am playing in hard mode, and the game makes you work, which is great!! No hand holding. No sparkles (except HOGs) Yeah long weekend, this is going to be a fun challenge.

freakgrrl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by freakgrrl on Sep 2, 11 7:47 PM
so much fun - excellent graphics, game play, and story.. and it made me jump a couple of times - awesome!!

nance91947
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nance91947 on Sep 3, 11 12:07 AM
Finally--a game that you can actually "love"!!! And you truly feel it's worth the CE price!! Was tired of the evil genre--the werewolves and vampires. True, this is a tad macbre, but not foreboding evil. The plot is interesting, complete with twists and turns--a few surprises along the way. Liked everything about this game--stunning, crisp graphics, challenging yet not overwhelming puzzles. Mainly, this game does not insult one's intelligence--huge KUDOs to developers! It maintains one's interest, and I'm elated to know there will be a sequel (sorry folks if I spoiled it for you by disclosing). BFG, we need, we want more games like this! I'd rather have one great game per week similar to Enigmatis than muddle through the rather dull, mundane offerings we encounter. Mind you, IMHO, BFG simply rocks--it's the absolute best game site in existence--but, as of late several games just make me shake my head and go "DUH!--what were you thinking?!?" Thanks BFG and developers for offering to us a truly well developed game!! It's a "10"!!

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Sep 3, 11 9:08 AM
Not even halfway into the demo, and I decided this is a buy. The graphics are outstanding (almost 3d like), and the cut scenes, animations and voice overs are very good, not to mention that the story seems interesting. Plenty of game interactions, music befitting and no technical glitches thus far, that I've experienced. What more could one ask for?

Based upon the reviews from others, it also looks like a decent length in game play... 42 locations as someone mentioned? GREAT!

Soooooo, off to purchase now.

A great gaming weekend to you all & a Happy Labor Day weekend for those whom it applies to.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Sep 3, 11 10:17 AM
Seems I'm in the minority here. Finished the demo and was left feeling a bit - duh, what is all the fuss about? Didn't like the HOG scenes, a bit too hard to find objects for me, partly cos graphics were not that crisp in my opinion and scenes too overloaded. Music inoffensive enough. Will go on my list of may buy's on SE version, but there are others I would prefer to have first.

[Post New]by Nan1011 on Sep 3, 11 11:44 AM
This is my first post and the first time I have ever felt compelled to write about a game.

This game was awesome! Loved the graphics, voice overs were a little hammy but I liked them anyway. The game had me totally intrigued from the beginning. This was also the first game where I left the music on. I usually shut the music off within the first 10 minutes.

My opinion, best game ever!

Thank you Big Fish and the devs for this game!!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 3, 11 5:01 PM
Well if you want to click your brains out, this is the game for you. Although this game has a multitude of areas to explore and twice as many puzzles and HOG's, I became bored with the HOG scenes. The items are miniscule and some impossible to find without a hint. I did enjoy this game and spet quite a bit of time solving it even with some help. I am not sorry I bought it but would not play it again. Thanks BF

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Sep 3, 11 6:48 PM
lately, it seems that nothing interests me, then this little gem comes along and the spark is back!

there's a lot more going on here than one would believe at first, the surface is barely scratched before the story really takes off... and perhaps i don't know kate, but i'm thinking she must be fairly interesting if the body snatchers have grabbed her up right in the full light of an investigation and i'm wondering just how involved this preacher man really is...

the graphics are stunning and the soundtrack is truly wonderful, something i look for in a game of this caliber... taking a look at the bonus play - features a romp through HOG after HOG - and i'm thinking the CE price is probably worth it all! i don't feel like this is one of those that will give over easily to boredom or fizzle out in a race to the finish, but i could be wrong.... only one way to tell

Go to: