Reviews for Magic Farm 2

Re:Reviews for Magic Farm 2

[Post New]by defloweredrose on Sep 5, 11 8:37 PM
Was a little disappointed with this game as it seemed to be much too short. Magic Farm was great it lasted me for more then one day.

[Post New]by sdanni on Sep 5, 11 8:51 PM
I loved the first two so of course I just went ahead and bought this one as well, even with a few tech. diff. I love it!! I kind of hope it is not as short as people are saying, that was one of the reasons I liked the the prior two, you could play for hours and still have things to do, I also hope that I can get the tech. diff. taken care of as well!!

Cheetarah
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Cheetarah on Sep 6, 11 4:28 AM
I usually don't post much on these, but his was worth putting in a review for. I was SO EXCITED to see a sequel to this game until I bought it and found out that there are only two different farms to play. Way too short for my tastes. The HOG's were ok, didn't mind them. Not a big HOG fan. I do love FROG's though. Would have very much like to have seen at least 3 more lands with new bugs and flowers to collect. Would have also liked to have had a reason to buy more things from Tobi. The graphics were beautiful. I loved that some of the plants had a little personality. The music was pretty much the same as in the first Magic Farm. Robin's dialog was pretty creative. Going to go back and complete the trials now. The side quests were ok. Where exactly were the fairies. All I saw were some kind of elves and a dwarf (Tobi) or whatever he was. Wasn't too overly impressed with this game. Sort of sad that I bought it. Hoping that something will be added to this game, like they did with the original and adding that last quest. That would be awesome! Also if the pirate- initiated HOG games were more like the opening HOG game, I would have like that more. Where you have to find things and then mix them or fill them or do something with them other than just collect them. Overall not a bad game if you like doing challenge mode and casual play.

DoobieBear
Flounder
Flounder
2,169 Posts

[Post New]by DoobieBear on Sep 6, 11 4:57 AM
As much as I like the game, I must say it was a total waste of money to pay for such a short game. The only saving grace for it is that I bought it while the sale was still going on for $4.99. They sure can't count on me purchasing more of their games. Still can't believe they didn't put more into this game than they did. After 3 years between the first and the second one I expected much more out of them. Why have such a huge map if they were only giving us two places to play in?? Not happy!!

[Post New]by wahwomana on Sep 6, 11 8:07 AM
was very disappointed in this game bc i was expecting more out of it then just 2 farms

[Post New]by audra1010 on Sep 6, 11 8:55 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ultimate Flower and consider it to be one of my favorite games. Like several others on here, I replay Ultimate Flower constantly, and did not even think twice when my 60 minute trial ran out... I immediately snatched this game up.

The gameplay was very similar to Ultimate Flower and did not disappoint. I was very put off by the Hidden Object component to the game. I think people usually fall in one category or another... HOG or TM. I'm a TM all the way and completely avoid games with a Hidden Object component. It almost felt like the developers damaged the reputation and value of this game by squeezing in an HOG element just to please the overwhelming HOG community. As it is, I feel like the BFG calendar week includes about 6 HOGs and maybe they eek out one TM game and possibly a Match-3 game every so often. Why infuse HOG into games that are otherwise favorites of ours? Fortunately, the HOG component was small enough that it did not take away from the game too much. I tolerated those parts to get to the good parts.

What was a MUCH huger disappointment was when I finished the tasks on the second farm only to find out the game was over. WHAT??? The previous title had like 4 or 5 farms. The map was huge and suggested there would be other locations. It almost feels like they had bigger intentions for this game and putzed out at the last minute. Why in the world would you have ALL of these huge ticket items in the shop, but only require your players to get the smallest one as part of the game? The shop becomes just a silly extra and something to do once the disappointment of finishing so quickly hits home. I think the only way to redeem themselves would be to do a free upgrade with additional farms. I seriously hope we find out that they screwed up and released the beta version by accident. Wishful thinking... I know.

Jennifer

[Post New]by BudSmellman on Sep 6, 11 2:35 PM
I normally don't admit to playing the farming games, especially ones with flowers? (a little un-manly like :-p) Still, for some reason the original Magic Farm did appeal to me. Was glad to see a new one and bought it after about 20 minutes of play.

Now that I've finished, have to say, definitely prefer the first one.

First the good:

Graphics are very colourful and well done.
Retains many of the original gameplay mechanics that made the first one appealing.
Plant upgrades work fun to work towards.

Now, the not so good:

Like so many others have said, keep the HOG out of the TMs! This was blatant pandering to the HOG fans, and even for HOG game play, it was done very poorly. Left a bad taste in my mouth. The one exception was the very first, that combined HOG with puzzle elements to create a potion. That was kind of fun.
The overlay of elements collided. Too often I couldn't pick a given flower without having to water the plant above it because the graphics overlapped. Particularly frustrating since holding off on watering plants until necessary is one of the strategies.
Somewhat related to the element overlay, when gameplay gets advanced and fast paced, there is a lot of clutter on the screen: picking flowers, watering plants, squashing bugs, and picking up items. All of this is in a small playing space and it gets very easy to lose sight of things or click on items you didn't want to.
Game seemed to end abruptly. Only two yards to play with? Seem to remember 4 or 5 in the original. My take? Game is half done.

All that being said, I'm not really sorry I bought it. It was still entertaining enough to earn some of my $$$, especially at the summer discount special.

Final Rating: 6.5 / 10

[Post New]by bitajafari on Sep 6, 11 3:13 PM
3 years of waiting to get a new version to this game and it only has 2 FARMS????!!!! how disappointing i like the original so much better

Edited on 09/06/2011 at 3:18:47 PM PST

[Post New]by BudSmellman on Sep 6, 11 3:29 PM
Hate to write more after my lengthy previous post, but had to downgrade my rating to 5/10. After finishing the measley two farms and the game, I thought I'd go back to maybe buy some of the interesting items from the global shop. After reviewing the benefits of said items and their cost, which start at $10K, have to say: rip off.

As an example: $75K to buy an item that would increase the sell value of bouquets by a paltry 4%. Are you kidding me? This, when the most I've been able to sell one at in the first farm is $150. It took me over an hour to generate $10K. Is everyone here missing something, some hidden area besides the two farms that you can generate some real cash???

Now I am actually sorry I bought this game. Lesson learned: read other's reviews before buying.

sherheff
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by sherheff on Sep 6, 11 4:53 PM
Cheetarah wrote:I usually don't post much on these, but his was worth putting in a review for. I was SO EXCITED to see a sequel to this game until I bought it and found out that there are only two different farms to play. Way too short for my tastes. The HOG's were ok, didn't mind them. Not a big HOG fan. I do love FROG's though. Would have very much like to have seen at least 3 more lands with new bugs and flowers to collect. Would have also liked to have had a reason to buy more things from Tobi. The graphics were beautiful. I loved that some of the plants had a little personality. The music was pretty much the same as in the first Magic Farm. Robin's dialog was pretty creative. Going to go back and complete the trials now. The side quests were ok. Where exactly were the fairies. All I saw were some kind of elves and a dwarf (Tobi) or whatever he was. Wasn't too overly impressed with this game. Sort of sad that I bought it. Hoping that something will be added to this game, like they did with the original and adding that last quest. That would be awesome! Also if the pirate- initiated HOG games were more like the opening HOG game, I would have like that more. Where you have to find things and then mix them or fill them or do something with them other than just collect them. Overall not a bad game if you like doing challenge mode and casual play.

Would you please clarify? I do not know what a FROG is. Also, how is an IHOG different from a HOG? Thanks in advance.

Edited on 09/06/2011 at 4:55:13 PM PST

[Post New]by kimj371 on Sep 6, 11 5:05 PM
I am in total agreement with all the people that said it was too short. The first Magic Farm took me days to finish playing off and on. This one only took me a few hours. I was so excited when this new one came out and then only two farms?! Extremely disappointing!!!!

Aamaretto
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Aamaretto on Sep 6, 11 6:19 PM
I just did the trial for this and Magic Farm 1, and I love them. One of the first reviewers said that this reminded them of Fiona Finch, so I was super-excited since that is one of my favorite games. HOWEVER, the gameplay is NOT like that, the storyline is. That's ok, though, because this is like The Fifth Gate, one of my OTHER favorite games.

I did like Fifth Gate better, but this is fun and cute and challenging. I'm not sure if I want to buy it right now, since everyone is saying it's so short, though :/ That's the only drawback for me.

[Post New]by Scarlian on Sep 6, 11 8:21 PM
I to am a rider on the disappointed train with the lot of you. I LOVED the original game, and have played it more then once. When I saw this was the next game releasing I immediately downloaded and started to play the demo, finished the hour and bought the game. Grabbed a cup of coffee ready to get down to a whole day of selling flowers and competing for the ultimate title. To be highly devastated when two and a half hours later I completed the second farm, had a high score screen pop up and that was all they wrote. I can not believe that first bigfish backed this big of a dud game, and second there was not a single warning that is was a small level game. Fortunately/unfortunately I used a free credit, however I would rather they took the game back and gave me back my credit.

mirror75
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by mirror75 on Sep 6, 11 8:58 PM
Looks like the majority of reviews are negative and all the negativity is focused on the length. It's so weird that after you "finish" the game you still have so many things left to buy. It would probably take someone 20 "days' to make enough money/leaves to buy just one item and what's the point of using it anyway?

The development around the ending fell faaaaarrrr short on this one. It's literally like a developer quit mid development and the boss said "aah just slap an ending on there and release it wherever it's at"

[Post New]by akafn2 on Sep 6, 11 9:38 PM
I completely agree. why is the map so big? why is there so much stuff in that balloon when you can never buy it? The point of the game for me is not to upgrade my farm. I like the tasks and the story. The first game was excellent. This one is a severe disappointment. And the end. Come to the castle, we have many things to do ... and then no castle? wth?!? Adding in a couple of crappy HOG sections does not make the game more entertaining when the people who like the game in the first place didn't buy it for that. Please remember developer, you have an audience. Don't alienate your audience to bring in more people that may never buy another game from you. If there is a magic farm 3, I don't know that I would buy it after this experience. Very disappointed.

[Post New]by Peggyt_13 on Sep 7, 11 4:16 AM
I have never felt soooo cheated!!!! It was a beautiful game. Loved the new things! They could have done so much more with it!!!! So beyond disappointed! Even though I only paid 4.99 for it, I wish I would have saved my money but I thought that the first one was sooo wonderful, I too still play it, I thought this would be even better!!!

[Post New]by shoestringplayer on Sep 7, 11 10:46 AM
The gameplay was wonderful....what there was of it. What started out as a very promising game ended in extreme disappointment, mostly because there were only two farms. After the quests are finished the game becomes tedious and redundant...BORING!

mirror75
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by mirror75 on Sep 7, 11 2:53 PM
aiforte wrote:EVERYBODY!!!! There are mulitple levels to this game. Check out the home page and you will find the rest of the game that you so desperately wanted to play!!!!!

Which home page are you referring to? The home page of the game or the website??

smiliedaze
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by smiliedaze on Sep 7, 11 6:05 PM
I have not found the multiple levels that you speak of... just two levels of difficulty, and that isn't any different than normal.
I am here to echo the sentiments of everyone else, I loved the first versions of this game and was so so so excited when this one came on the screen. But it was way to short and such a let down after waiting so long for the new one. Guess I'll wait for My Kingdom for the Princess IV instead.

[Post New]by rayjoesask on Sep 7, 11 6:16 PM
Like most of you - I am also terrible disappointed in Magic Farm 2 - I also HATE HOG - sorry I purchased it and have been disappointed in the last couple of games that I purchased from BF. Maybe they will hear our cries and create an update with more farms - but no more HOG.

Go to: