TGT: Syberia ... Wow!!!

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Re:TGT: Syberia ... Wow!!!

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jan 6, 09 1:52 PM
I'm still trying to decide whether to buy this game. I've heard some comparison to the Myst series, which I really liked. If anyone played the Myst games (Myst, Riven, and I can't recall the name of the third one), please give me your opinion on the comparison. Thanks!!!!!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 6, 09 3:57 PM
ecblisa wrote:I'm still trying to decide whether to buy this game. I've heard some comparison to the Myst series, which I really liked. If anyone played the Myst games (Myst, Riven, and I can't recall the name of the third one), please give me your opinion on the comparison. Thanks!!!!!

Syberia is much more of a story than Myst(s) are/is. Where the Myst Series (played them all, loved 'em, finished only the original ) sort of just flung you into a world and you wandered and figured stuff out that lead to a story, Syberia has a pretty linear story line to follow. The puzzles over all are a lot easier than Myst's. Myst is 1st person (with the exception of Uru), Syberia you control a character.

They are similar really only in they are both adventure games involving environmental puzzles and feature beautiful graphics. I think you hear them mentioned together a lot because they represent some of the very tip top best of the Adventure genre more than them being alike.

There's actually been 5 Myst games: Myst, Riven, Myst III: Exile, Myst IV: Revelation and Myst V: End of Ages. Then there was Uru that was different as it was a free movement environtment with an avatar to control and tried to go on-line as a MMORPG which failed pretty spectacularly. I played it, lag was so bad you could barely move.

Edited on 01/06/2009 at 4:02:03 PM PST

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Jan 6, 09 4:06 PM
I read one review at just adventure and it talks about how the entire game is dark and gloomy. In one scene mentioned. the buildings are decaying and falling apart. I certainly cannot speak for anyone but myself, but I have absolutely no desire to play this game. I don't need anything depressing in my world these days. To spend hours in a dark and gloomy places is not my cup of tea!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 6, 09 4:08 PM
forensicMD wrote:I read one review at just adventure and it talks about how the entire game is dark and gloomy.

Well it is called Syberia...

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Jan 6, 09 4:11 PM
Absolutely on, Poodlebear!

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jan 6, 09 4:46 PM
OOH, thanks for reminding me, Poodlebear, I did at one time play all five original Myst games. I remember liking Exile a lot, but the last two were not as good (maybe just too hard), so I probably forgot them for that reason.

Now that people are mentioning dark and gloomy, I'm hesitant about Syberia. I play games to cheer up, not to gloom down.

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jan 6, 09 4:53 PM
I played this years ago....and could never finish it.
The game size is HUGE!!!!!!!!!
Better to get on a disc????

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Jan 6, 09 4:56 PM
It was a long game, but it was a game I didn't want to end, I loved the world of Syberia, and walkthroughs are an awesome way to get through tough spots Diana

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jan 6, 09 4:59 PM
I didn't know about walkthroughs back in the day, Rose..LOL
Now that I do...and am a bit more "schooled" in the genre...I might try it !!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jan 6, 09 5:00 PM
I enjoyed it but it is a little depressing and bleak in some spots and is not an "uplifter" if you want that.

If you need an upper, play "Mysteries of Treasure Island" or "Steve the Sheriff". Both games had me smiling and I have played them numerous times.

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jan 6, 09 5:01 PM
I have played both..both fun !!
Bur Syberia is a classic...might want to try it again!

MiddleAged
Salmon
Salmon
2,836 Posts

[Post New]by MiddleAged on Jan 6, 09 5:08 PM
Oh! I started "gaming" with Zelda on Nintendo - the boring story of helping my 4 year old son that could not read. I love Adventure (Role Playing Games)! I think I have to do this one.

I was not gaming on the 'puter when Mysts came out - so my big question is ----
Should I play Siberia 1 before Siberia 2.

It sounds like this is an RPG - am I correct?.

Busy topside today - back from "holiday" along with laundry etc - and cooking so I can lose the "few" pounds I gained while away. Tonight - chicken with mushrooms and lemon, asparagus and baked sweet potatoes. Good and healthy too. I'd much rather swimming in the pond and eating in the Cafe. Does the Cafe do takeout????

I'll be back tomorrow if the ice storm does not take out my power and internet. Cheers , MA

SSmitty
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,250 Posts

[Post New]by SSmitty on Jan 6, 09 5:22 PM
MiddleAged wrote:Oh! I started "gaming" with Zelda on Nintendo - the boring story of helping my 4 year old son that could not read. I love Adventure (Role Playing Games)! I think I have to do this one.

I was not gaming on the 'puter when Mysts came out - so my big question is ----
Should I play Siberia 1 before Siberia 2.

It sounds like this is an RPG - am I correct?.

Busy topside today - back from "holiday" along with laundry etc - and cooking so I can lose the "few" pounds I gained while away. Tonight - chicken with mushrooms and lemon, asparagus and baked sweet potatoes. Good and healthy too. I'd much rather swimming in the pond and eating in the Cafe. Does the Cafe do takeout????

I'll be back tomorrow if the ice storm does not take out my power and internet. Cheers , MA

In my opinion, yes play 1 first, as 2 is a continuation of 1. 2 Finishes the task you start in 1.

[Post New]by silkykitty on Jan 6, 09 5:26 PM
I so want to try this game. I have Vista though and I'm a little concerned. Since theres no trial, I'm wondering if it's going to be ANOTHER purchase I can't play. I've wasted 3 credits on large file purchases already. One that won't work and 2 that I hate.

I love these types of games. I wish BFG would offer trials for them though.

MiddleAged
Salmon
Salmon
2,836 Posts

[Post New]by MiddleAged on Jan 6, 09 5:26 PM
Thanks! Is it a RPG?

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jan 6, 09 5:28 PM
Kind of a Nancy Drew type....puzzler thing.

Edited on 01/06/2009 at 5:28:36 PM PST

[Post New]by quidam on Jan 6, 09 5:34 PM
I cannot recommend this game highly enough! I played Syberia and Syberia 2 and had a great time with them. I never got stuck or bored and some of the humor in the story is pretty good. Graphics are good, as well as the sound.

I understand the concern some have with the large file games, I've gotten a few that are still sitting on my PC because they were too frustrating or repetitive. Syberia is not one of them.

Syberia may be a natural progression from Hidden Object to the large file games. It's an enjoyable mystery that keeps you wondering what is around the next corner.

Hopefully, if enough people get the game, they will make Syberia 3! I would enjoy that.

MiddleAged
Salmon
Salmon
2,836 Posts

[Post New]by MiddleAged on Jan 6, 09 5:39 PM
Well, the old Zelda's were like that.

BTW - I am a science Geek - and will send a PM (private message) to SexScientist - a lady scientist new to the Pond and to forsenic MD.

Maybe we could start a Mad Scientist thread?

I'm on the Board and other committees of one of the top 10 hospitals in the country - and lots of the Chiefs play games. Now, one of the tests for many surgical residencies is a video game test. I've tried the robotic simulators and I am much better than most because of my gaming. We have an entire Sim suite where we teach everyone from RNs, med students to advanced surgeons how do perform procedure like central lines to advance robot surgery or react to react as a team to a crisis. I'll copy this into the PM.

Cheers, MA

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Jan 6, 09 6:09 PM
silkykitty wrote:I so want to try this game. I have Vista though and I'm a little concerned. Since theres no trial, I'm wondering if it's going to be ANOTHER purchase I can't play. I've wasted 3 credits on large file purchases already. One that won't work and 2 that I hate.

I love these types of games. I wish BFG would offer trials for them though.

I have played this game on vista, and it worked pretty well, my only issue was cutscenes. I am pretty sure Game Spot may have a demo, or I think someone mentioned iwon or one of the other sites.

Patty60
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by Patty60 on Jan 7, 09 12:13 AM
whogirl wrote:I'm really liking Syberia so far, but I can't figure out how to use the things I pick up, like the cogs that the boy, Momo, had. I did the key, but that was a fluke that I got to use it. Can anyone help a lone anemone?

Cogs will be used on door of church, later in game. Simple place the gears so they make something move.

Go to: