bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

Re:Reviews for Cursed Memories: The Secret of Agony Creek Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Sep 11, 11 10:56 AM
Hi everyone!

Just a reminder that this thread has been reserved for reviews of this game only. If you're looking for game help, please feel free to create a new thread in this forum by clicking on the 'Create New Discussion' button.

If you're experiencing any technical issues, please leave your comments in the official 'Tech Issues' thread.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

Edited on 09/11/2011 at 10:56:40 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Sep 11, 11 11:10 AM
You're right about the inventory items! A couple of times I needed pliers and I thought 'I just had them! Where did they go?'

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 11, 11 11:11 AM
Oh Woe is ME... "Another great game and it's a CE" Ilove the game and will have to pick the best one as I can't afford to get more than 2 CE's a month! Like VAST studio's and have most of their games. Like the graphics, music and just about everything. It's my kind of game and really really like it..

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Sep 11, 11 11:26 AM
This seems an interesting game, but it's so ugly. That escape bathroom was so gross! And I'm not fond of the gritty, grainy type of graphics. I might finish the trial, but it won't be a buy for me, especially at CE price.

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 11, 11 11:27 AM
WAY too short for a collector's edition: The main game took me 2 - 2/5 hours, the bonus game about an hour. I must admit i skipped some puzzles (partially because the lack of instructions.. a weak point of this game) but still its way too short for what you pay for it.

I can see why BFG is selling more and more CE's because they probably think they are more lucrative. But in the end it will backfire one them i think.
I have noticed a trend lately in CE's getting shorter and shorter, often with bonus games that are nothing more then just a collection of hidden scenes or puzzles with no extra value for the story told in the main game. I also notice more and more people complaining about this, telling they wont buy the CE's any longer.

Personally i think its absurd to ask a double price for a game, when what you actually pay for is like 1 or mostly 2 hours of bonus play and some wallpapers and music-files.
I think its fair to not ask more then 9.99 for a CE, because what you get is mostly not even 'worth' the half of the playing time of the standard edition. 13,99 is simply out of proportion for what is offered.
And EVEN for a price of 9,99 you may expect a CE to 'last' like 5 or 6 hours at least for the average players.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 11, 11 11:54 AM
I am playing on a 23" wide screen monitor. I normally have my resolution set at 1360x768. This resolution works for me for everything. It is the best setting for me to read text on the internet and all of my other programs, such as Word, Excel, other games, etc.

When playing this game at that resolution, in full screen, part of the edges of the game scenes are not there and some items are very difficult or impossible to click. I have to change my resolution to 1920x1080 in order to play in full screen and see the complete scene.

When the game option to play in full screen is chosen, the game should adjust to whatever screen resolution is in use on the computer. I understand that when choosing the windowed mode that I may have to change my resolution but I should not have to change my screen resolution when playing in full screen.

A CE should be superior quality in all aspects and I feel this resolution issue will keep me from buying this game.

The story is ok but it is like so many other dark and dreary games. Dark, raining, dreary, ugly, dirty, broken down, rusty, and on and on. The graphics are not that great either. I think some developers skimp on the clear graphics since the scenes are so dark and dirty.

Overall: Disappointing.

Edited on 09/11/2011 at 11:56:51 AM PST

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Sep 11, 11 11:55 AM
Hi everyone
Overall, this game was good, but not great in my opinion. The game story itself is interesting, and the atmosphere, graphics and music are sufficiently spooky, but the game itself is SO dark and I found my eyes straining to make out images and details within the HOG scenes and in the general scenery of the game.

The HOG scenes are definitely adequate, but not revolutionary, and I thought that the puzzles I encountered were fine, if standard ones that we see in most every game of this type. The voiceover work is good however. I played in hard mode and completed the hour trial ending up in chapter 3. I had no problem finding my way around or figuring out how to solve the puzzles and other tasks required to progress through the game. I was hoping to be more challenged than I was with this one, and I think that is why I only think it’s good, but not excellent.

From what I have heard, this game is on the shorter side so I wonder if the CE price is justified. Maybe I am getting bored with these games lately, but I am finding that what CE’s are being offered lately, like this one and the latest Haunted Legends HOPA , are not grabbing me like they used to. Hard mode isn’t hard, or maybe I am expecting too much. It’s almost like I am “going through the motions” and not having as much fun as I once did. I guess I am hoping that a HOPA game will come along and revolutionize the genre, but I am not holding my breath. I used to spend so much money here and now I am being more selective lately.

Overall, if you are a casual player who enjoys these types of games, not a person who plays on hard mode expecting a real challenge, you will generally enjoy this game in my opinion. It’s not a bad one, it’s just not as good as it could have been.

My grades:

Special Features ( voiceovers, cutscenes): B+
Graphics: B-
Music: B
Gameplay: B
Puzzles: B
HOG scenes: B ( they are somewhat grainy)
Mode of play( hard mode) – B( not too hard)
Game Issues: none

Overall grade: B

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Sep 11, 11 12:58 PM
So so game

k8edidnt
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by k8edidnt on Sep 11, 11 1:04 PM
I really enjoyed this one. Finished it during the demo. Hate to buy CE just for the extras but I think I will. I'll just play it again in casual mode and have fun looking at the sparkles. They really hold me up when I'm trying to zip thru the first time. I hope the extras are worth the $7.

Michou3
Herring
Herring
398 Posts

[Post New]by Michou3 on Sep 11, 11 1:11 PM
I found this game to be quite interesting. The mini-games were diversified and fun to play, and best part of all... the extra gameplay took me about one hour! Finally, a CE where the bonus play is worth the money !

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Sep 11, 11 1:21 PM
I've been waiting for this game ever since I saw the ad for this game when I finished Written Legends, Nightmare at Sea. I think it's well done, and fun. It took less then 5 mins to download, install and activate, and I was ready to go. As soon as my trial time was up, I bought it. I do agree with many other members, that we do definitely need more SE games. Right now I have 2 free games in the wings and with the purchase of this game have just earned another free game for this month already....so that's a total of 3 free games...and nothing to use them on. It's great that you can use 2 game club credits to purchase CEs, but how about it, BFG, if you allow us to use 2 or 3 free full game cards to purchase CEs also? THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE SHOUTING....JUST TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION: SO IF YOU GAMERS AGREE WITH ME, PLEASE FLOOD BFG AND ASK THEM TO ALLOW US TO USE 2 or 3 FULL PUNCHED GAME CARDS TO PURCHASE CES.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 11, 11 1:54 PM
cottoncandy2 wrote:Am I the only one who didn't like this game? It seemed to jump all over the place with no rhyme or reason with some H0 scenes tossed in but no real story line to it.

You're not the only one...we're 2 !

Gathering so many items that you get tired of getting them, using them more or less straight away. Seing this police woman and then she's gone, without noticing that you got rid of your shakles, going down a well, reparing a wrecked car, using your crow bar on and on, again and again, etc, etc...
No thanks.
H0, mini games, easy.

Edited on 09/11/2011 at 1:54:54 PM PST

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Sep 11, 11 3:26 PM
Great game. Liked the flow, you pretty much knew when you were finished at a location and did not have to return altho you were free to do so if you wished. That way you dont feel restricted as when it says AREA CLEARED, etc I found some items in the hidden object scenes had new names or names Im not accustomed to and I like that you had to use your noodle. There were quite a few no see ums so you had to touch everything to find the item, and No Click Penalty, I loved that. That way you dont feel punished. I had 2 frustrating moments, the opening of both the main game and the Bonus Adventure, Almost had to use the SG to find out what to do.Could not believe I was stumped at the very beginning but that was all good too. There were also new items in the inventory and new uses for them. Some you could hardly believe and had to laugh. Overall i thought this was a very good game. Thanks to the developers who went out of their way to make this worth playing. Thanks Big Fish for a nice Sunday game.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Sep 11, 11 3:28 PM
I'm not sure on this one... at first I loved the game. The atmosphere is great and it's a nice creepy story which I love... and I love adventure style ihogs but... this one just seemed... clunky I guess.

First of all you're all over the place and the solutions for opening things and solving problems are so convoluted. It didn't seem like it would be that way at first as you actually keep a tool and use it again. But I hate having a ton of "stuff" to be used at some future point in the game and meanwhile I'm looking for something else right now.

Ok this might be a spoiler... might... so I'll try to keep it generic... but this is an example of what I mean... there's a box that needs opening and you have in your inventory a crowbar, a screwdriver, a sledge hammer and even a blow torch for goodness sake!! Yet for some reason your characer is so stupid that they can't find a way to make ANY of those things open the box... not even the blow torch? REALLY??? That irritates me.

Anyway... it's a good game basically and I'll probably buy it when I don't have anything else to play. But I just found myself wanting to be done with it already which is never a good sign. I think some will love it and not care about the flaws and maybe if I didn't already have a backlog of good games waiting I'd get it now too but since I don't really need a new game I guess I'll wait. So I don't know what to rate it... one thumb up one thumb down I guess?? LOL.

PS: My favorite part of the game (not really a spoiler but highlight to read so I don't ruin it for those who like to be surprised about everything ) I love love love the opening big fish logo and the devs logo... kinda made me feel like I was in a movie theater it was that cool. Really great job on that part devs!!!!

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Sep 11, 11 4:03 PM
I don't know what I'm missing here but I don't think it is that great of a game like everyone is raving about. While it is not a terrible game it is just not worth a CE price. In MHO it just misses the mark.

Yes kudos to the devs for putting the count of the collectibles in the toolbar where we can keep track but there is no map and I find the journal almost useless. It did store a couple of noteworthy clues but for the most part I find journals (in general) missing the mark. Many times they don't store clues I need or put them in after the fact.

Speaking of collectibles, what is the purpose of collecting them to "purchase" the extras? Is it so you can get to them faster? Does this mean if you don't find them all you won't get them or just that you will have to wait until the end of the game?

I did like the game but will wait until it is offered as a SE. Just not enough bells and whistles or spectacular game play to warrant buying it as a CE.

For those of you who did enjoy it enough to get it as a CE, happy gaming.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Sep 11, 11 4:47 PM
a lot of the scenes are dark(i.e. without light) and it is a dark story..lol....liked the demo but understand the bonus is to replay mini games so i think i will wait for reg version

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Sep 11, 11 4:48 PM
Did my hour demo and want this game. I wasn't expecting anything when I started it. I just thought I'd try it out for kicks. Well, the joke was on me. I enjoyed my demo and got excited when I found something that would help me progress (like a key to open a box) Got a little confused here and there, but I really like this game. Love the sound effects! I kept running inside buildings because of the rain!

I don't get a lot of CEs but I really don't want to wait for this to come to SE.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Sep 11, 11 4:53 PM
Its a great little game, I liked it, but not good enough for a CE will wait until it comes out as a SE

Edited on 09/11/2011 at 4:54:06 PM PST

[Post New]by coolest_mommy on Sep 11, 11 8:37 PM
I played this game for about a half hour and I wasn't impressed at all. It is really grainy and the graphics don't appeal to me. I found that some of the things didn't make sense to me. I couldn't get the faucet to work until I stuck a blanket in the sink (?) - turn the faucets on and figure out what you are supposed to do with the water - makes more sense to me. I exited the game to read the reviews and was surprised about the raves. I was really excited when I read about it this morning but after a little game play - Nope, not for me. Not even as an SE.

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Sep 11, 11 9:55 PM
I'm not sure about this one. It seemed good, but not great and it seemed to be going by pretty fast.

I already purchased (and played) Bronze Horseman so I'm sort of low on game funds.

If I'm already up to getting the whatever-it-is from the bird to get into the library and I already have 12 or 13 of the 30 bags of gold, how much more game is there? Am I a quarter done? Half done?

Having almost half of the gold in the hour demo makes me worry about how long the game is. Is there enough game after that point to make up for paying the CE price?

Go to: