SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

Re:Reviews for Twisted Lands: Insomniac

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 17, 11 8:08 AM
In Twisted Lands: Shadow Town a girl, Angel, was trapped on an island & had to be rescued by her boyfriend, this time, in Insomniac she has to escape a hospital & Mark is trying to save her yet again. It is pretty confusing as she keeps escaping only to be caught, drugged & ending up back in the hospital & you cannot always be sure which are real scenes & which are part of her dreams. There are newspapers which have stories of other missing people so I trust that as I get further into the game I will find out the real story.

This game from Alawar Stargaze can be played in easy mode with sparkles everywhere or expert where the only sparkles mark the H0 scenes. The graphic are excellently suited to the setting of the game & the artwork is grittier than the usual Alawar perfection. I found that having the Full Screen option ticked & at the same time, un-ticking the Aspect Ratio gave me widescreen views.

There are voiceovers & you can skip through the dialogue if you prefer, I liked them. In addition the music was splendid & the background sounds, as ever, suited the story. You are given a diary which gives clues as to what to do next & a task list slightly hidden behind it – just click on the white piece of paper sticking out of the top of the diary.

The hint recharges in 40 seconds & if you get stuck it will point you to where to go next. There is no map but I didn’t find it too hard to work out the layout of the scenes.

The hidden object scenes were well drawn & the mini games not too difficult, there is a skip button.

I love it as I have always been a fan of films where people don’t know what is happening or where they are (think Identity with John Cusack); this is a definite buy

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Sep 17, 11 8:49 AM
I've just finished this game and I think it's pretty good. Yes, it IS a little confusing, but heck, it's a game and needs a few twists and turns to keep it interesting. Great graphics, easy-ish H0 scenes and fun little puzzles, music okay too. A good way to spend a few hours and I felt that I (almost) understood what was going on. Although having said that, the ending was about as clear as mud

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Sep 17, 11 12:41 PM
I liked the first Twisted Lands. After 20 or so minutes of the Insomniac demo I knew this was also going to be a buy for me.
It didn't fill my screen but then that's not a problem for me although is annoying for other people.
To say I got confused throughout the game would be an understatement. All that jumping back to the hospital room during what I thought was a logical progression had me wondering.
Some of the game was very well thought out, other parts I had a severe case of deja vu. I just know I have seen some of those scenes before in previous games. Particularly the layout of the house, the fog in the park, and the underground tunnels. (If I didn't have an equally severe case of CRS I might even have remembered which games they were in - ).
Nevertheless, a good buy and quite enjoyable. Passed some pleasant hours.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 17, 11 12:54 PM
hi layzeedaisy
The scenes are from the first Twisted Lands - haven't worked out if the hospital is on the island or if Angel is dreaming

LoisMac
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by LoisMac on Sep 17, 11 3:26 PM
I'm playing the demo and really liking this game. It is Twisted though but I find that fun with the 2 story lines, I'm just wondering how long and well done it is after the demo. I've bought games that were awful after the demo time.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 17, 11 3:58 PM
hi loismac - i have now finished the game - it took me ages & the game remained good; it is still 'twisted' after the demo

catz54
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
456 Posts

[Post New]by catz54 on Sep 17, 11 6:47 PM
I liked this one. But, the demo said for 60 minutes, and ended with 16 minutes left to play.
I feel so short-changed!

[Post New]by Lara91 on Sep 18, 11 5:02 AM
This isn't a new game. I've already played this a few weeks ago...

To bad.

[Post New]by karen18670 on Sep 18, 11 4:43 PM
I just wanted to say that I really loved this game. The plot is great although confusing but I loved it anyway. Not too many hidden objects, lots of fun and unique puzzles, adventure, beautiful graphics - that all equals a perfect game.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 19, 11 4:39 AM
dudleythepug wrote:I completely agree w/ Hannah57. Sick, so sick of HOG games. I also am considering cancelling my membership. I have 5 game credits but haven't found a game worthy of using them on in months! Thought this might be one, but it's another mental hospital story.

Well, I came here looking for reviews of this game, but instead, I get to read about someone who's suffering from an illness due to hidden objects! Now, I realize that this is a bit off-topic, but I couldn't agree more with Valdy's most recent post; I, too, wouldn't even consider visiting a TM or M-3 game forum, only to cast dispersions on those type of games.

Hope you'll return here, Dudleythepug, to lend a bonafide review. The first Twisted Lands was entertaining, if a bit convoluted--I suspect the same will hold true for this one. We shall see.

(P.S. Hey, Lara91--Perhaps you played the CE version of this game "a few weeks ago"? Just wondering. )

Edited on 09/19/2011 at 4:44:54 AM PST

[Post New]by virtualadventure on Sep 22, 11 12:20 AM
Wow! When i finished this game at 2am tonight i wanted to write a review...my second BF game review ever. I loved this game. For me it invoved some thinking but not so challenging that i needed to skip puzzles, use a lot of hints or use a walk through. Game play flowed pretty well from one puzzle to another and it was not confusing to figure out which codes went with which puzzles/ locks. I love having the option to play on advanced mode b/c nothing kills the fun faster than having every interaction area highlighted for me - where is the discovery and adventure in that? Plus, i am a hidden object game addict.
The story was creepy and suspensful enough by providing a solid mystery foundation. i probably liked it more than some b/c i can have a wild imagination! The game seemed to be about the right length. It had a good mix of hidden object puzzles mixed with other game puzzles. I can get bored with a game quickly if it just moves from one hidden object sceene to the next.
Overall, i rate this 5 stars in my book. I love a creepy Hidden Object game just about like this. I am about to play the other Twisted Lands game next - when ordering, i couldn't tell which game was the first or if they were connected in any way. Oh well. Im happy.

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 12:22:24 AM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 22, 11 5:53 PM
very good game, as good as the first twisted

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Sep 23, 11 8:30 PM
finished the game and thought it was great. yes it is a little weird and at time a little confusing but overall a good game. like the fact you had to figure out what was going on and loved the way it ended.

echoscot
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by echoscot on Sep 24, 11 6:36 PM
I really liked this game. I didn't buy the CE on this one but I did play the original one. However, I am completely confused by the storyline on this one. Even playing the original, it is very convoluted.

If someone could explain the ending to me I would be much more satisfied...

[Post New]by PMSAGAIN on Sep 25, 11 6:43 AM
Another great disappointment as far as the game goes.
Lots of glitches, had to uninstall AND re-install 4 times.
Slow to install AGAIN.

Wasn't real happy with the game but enjoyed the trail version of it.

[Post New]by toutitouti on Sep 25, 11 2:45 PM
Well, at first during the demo trial, I was really into it so I decided to buy the game. But as I played, I started to get confused about the point of the story. So many twists and turns that did not appear logical or relevant to me but hey, what do I know? Then I got to the fog filled park and I though: "Wait a minute, I've seen this before". And then it dawned on me that this was the sequel (sort of) to Twisted Land - Shadow Town... which ending I did not understand at all.

All this to say that I finished the game totally in the dark, using hints a lot to know where I was supposed to go next and, once again, not understanding the ending at all... which I guess is the link with the first story Shadow Town as I did not understand that ending either.

So if anyone can explain to me what were the stories of these two games, I'd be interesting to know just what it was I was playing.

Very disappointing! Both of them!

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Sep 25, 11 4:45 PM
After having problems due to the McAfee software I was finally able to activate the game. I enjoyed the game but it was a little to short on the game play for me.

catsrobe
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by catsrobe on Sep 25, 11 9:31 PM
I agree with those who are tired of the same old HOG games with dark scenes, mental hospitals, creepy themes, nonsensical story lines, annoying dialog, etc. Shall I go on? I wrote to CS to complain that none of the games are really categorized. I like adventure games but all the games are mixed together no matter what category you choose. There are tons of HOG games mixed with Adventure. There are even arcade games in the mix! Not to mention all the kiddie games thrown in for good measure. Why bother to have categories if everything is mixed together anyway? Very annoying! I may cancel my membership because of this issue. Plus, all the games are starting to look alike to me. I'm getting really bored with them. Been there, done that! The only games worth buying are the ones that are "endless", such as the solitaire games or some of the puzzle games like Azada, Of course that will end at some point in time but it takes a long time. Another good game is A Magnetic Adventure. I loved the Tiny Bang Story even though it was nonsensical. But it was adorable and enough of a challenge to make it really fun. Why aren't there more games like that? Enough of the monsters, skeletons and kiddie games!

Rkatidid
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Rkatidid on Sep 26, 11 12:11 AM
I thought it was awesome, entertaining game, where I didn't get bored at all, and the hints always pointed me in the right direction. I think this one is exceptional and I don't rate too many games - this one stands out as GREAT

mcbay111
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by mcbay111 on Sep 26, 11 6:48 AM
Flissa2 wrote:Well said Valdy! I love HOG games - mainly cos I'm useless at adventure or time management games but I respect those fishies who enjoy a challenge. Takes all sorts to make up a lively pond.

I am not a fan of TM either but I respect those who are and would not want to rock the pond either. I wonder at times why people always threaten to leave BIgFish? I have gotten accounts with other game sites and never have I been happy with any of them BUT BigFish. They always give me a game credit if the game I got was not working and they have always had good deals and in my opinion they have good games too. I like a little challenge and then at times I want to relax and play an easier game but I really do not see the point in being mad at this site. I can tell you that when the new game manager came out I was not able to play ANY games at all but I did have someone from BigFish working on it. It took him two weeks but he DID find the problem and after he let me know what it was it ended up being rather easy to fix. It ended up being a problem that he was not aware of so he went the extra mile and asked his colleagues and even though it took two weeks to figure out I still knew he was making a huge effort. Not all sites will go that far to help. SO I am sticking with BigFish and if there is a few weeks or so that I am not real sold on the games I know that sooner or later they will come through. The other sites I have had accounts with never have measured up to BigFish. I just had to express my opinions. DO not take it badly please. I mean no disrespect to anyone. We are all allowed our opinions whether we agree with them or not. Jacki

Go to: