Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Sep 17, 11 7:20 AM
"In your face, CE developers" - said the Elephant, and performed his famous trampling move"!

It's a looong time that I see a CE quality game for a SE price! I am astonished!

Seems to me (only a thesis), that this financial "revolution" shows brilliant finance step: instead of 1000 buyers and 2000 waiters for the SE - Elephant choosed 4000 immediate buyers...
And the yesterday's full of glitches CE game proves my thesis...

I bought a game with a map, and with really internal SG - you don't know where to move next? Just click on the hint fast-recharged button - and you know where to go and what to do.

If I will vote for the best developers of the year - among the first 3 Elephant will take a honorable place! - and Miss Liza - you forgot to add your famous "Fine Swine"!!! hurry and edit your post...

Thanks, developers, thanks BF!

[Post New]by PandaBearCub on Sep 17, 11 7:22 AM
I really wanted to like this game but after the second cut scene I just can't play this game makes me too dizzy. Didn't care much for the grainy dark graphics and didn't like the movements from the menu screen when you go to choose your options made me dizzy too but I was gonna overlook that as it only happens once but then the cut scenes and quick movements that I just can't do.

Edited on 09/17/2011 at 7:23:27 AM PST

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Sep 17, 11 7:27 AM
juleslorraine wrote:25 mins into the demo and I decided to "buy" it. The **** scenes are nice and clear plus the puzzles are fairly pleasant IMO. Superb graphics. I'm excited to get back to the game to see how the rest plays out but have to wait to hear from BFG. I was surprised to see that it wasn't a CE and decided to use a punch card credit, since it was burning a hole in my pocket, but for some reason when I tried to use it, BF took my game club credit instead even though the other is still valid, and no confirmation or asking me if this is what I wanted to do. I'm not happy but have sent a message asking them to use my earned punch card credit instead. So until then, I can't install and get back to it. Hopefully it doesn't take the 72 hours to get a reply.

Did you copy the punch card number EXACTLY as it is, with the dashes? That was my problem once, and after I talked to BFCS they told me I had to copy dashes as well, probably caps, I don't know for sure, as I did use caps.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Sep 17, 11 7:27 AM
Played a little bit of the demo, but for me the fat sparkles really a turn off. PLEASE devs. include "no sparkles" option in your games!

Waazzaa
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Waazzaa on Sep 17, 11 8:10 AM
I thought the "I'm DLing Now!" comments belonged in "Comments" not "Reviews" . . .

Darla1108
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Darla1108 on Sep 17, 11 8:30 AM
I am very excited to be able to use one of my coupons on a good game that did not come out as a CE. I am really enjoying the game. I love having the interactive map to help me get around. I still like going to and fro, but I am able to look at the map to remind me where I need to be. I really like having the word like "Bathroom" next to the arrow when you are deciding where to go. The hints will tell you exactly what to do next so I think no need for a strategy guide. The extra punches today are a real bonus as I would have gotten this today without a bonus. I'm off to play now.

I forgot to add that I didn't find any problems with the graphics. I don't think they are grainy in the H0G scenes. I think some items were cleverly hidden. And also it does fill up my widescreen on my laptop.

Edited on 09/17/2011 at 8:35:38 AM PST

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 17, 11 9:08 AM
Normally I love Elephant Games but this time I'm going to go against the grain of the most of the reviews. I was underwhelmed.

The graphics were grainy although the artwork was well done; when the cut scenes played they whooshed in & out so fast it made me nauseous.

The interactive map is excellent & the hint recharges in 30 seconds & is useful if you get stuck as it lets you know what to do next. I thought the H0 signs were a bit of a junkpile but not too difficult to find objects.

There is no choice of mode to play so expect sparkles & glints for areas of interest.

Sadly not a game for me.

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Sep 17, 11 9:11 AM
Hey Fishies!

Thanks for starting up the Reviews thread. I'm going to go ahead and sticky this so that other players can join in.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

If you are experiencing technical issues with the game, please refer to our Technical Issues thread here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Thanks!

-bfgArnoStyx

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by bumblebea on Sep 17, 11 9:54 AM
Sportspaz1449 wrote:
sinshack wrote:
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:Finaly a game that's not a CE. I played the demo and I like it very much. The puzzles are not difficult. The **** scene are good to see.

I like EG too!

I certainly agree with you, Dobbie! I picked up 8 (coun't 'em, 8!!) punch card credits last month, due to the wonderful CE sale, so I've been kind of desperate. This is only the 2nd HOG SE this month that wasn't previously released as a CE, and since I almost always buy the CEs that was leaving me with nothing to buy. With 2 CEs a week now, plus an average of 2 SE versions of the previous CEs, that leaves only 3 potential days for new games to spend our punch card credits on - and fans of the other genres need their games, too.

Anyway, back to the actual review. Great graphics, lots of places to visit. I like the fact that the different locations don't all look alike - I know that sounds weird, but you probably know what I mean. I am one of those who don't mind the sparkles, and I don't mind wearing out a few pair of sneakers. After playing several "find the boyfriend (or uncle, or grandfather, or dad) games in the past few weeks while I catch up on all those CE's I bought, it's kind of refreshing to search for several people I don't know and I'm not related to.

It is a huge download, though, so it does take forever. If you have limited data downloading, keep that in mind. ENJOY!!

Thanks sinshack! I'm going to delete alot of files that we use even just looking at reviews etc! Just to make room!
( I LOVE CCleaner just for that reason alone!)
SSPAZ

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Sep 17, 11 10:05 AM
Thx Elephant DEV's your realizing that many of us fishes don't have the monies for CE prices, Kuddo's to you your games will sell alot fast until we get a break in the economy,I did buy your day today and wow what sounds and graphics ..Ty BF for caring about your fishes in the ponds..

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Sep 17, 11 10:11 AM
This is a great non-CE game with lots to offer fans of the genre.

- Plenty of hidden object scenes, very junk-piley but no misclick penalty
- Great interactive map, this is an excellent feature
- Good adventure mode, story and progression
- High quality cut scenes, maybe a few too many, can't skip
- Good graphics, hidden object scenes were clear for me
- Lots of sound effects to set the mood
- No dark demonic presences, no ghosts, curses or rituals**
- Smooth cursor, good interface, easy to interact with
- No option for expert mode, sparkles are subtle but cannot turn them off
- Hints recharge quickly and can be used in the adventure part too
- Lots of puzzles, intuitive plus instructions, fast skip timer.

** Note: I haven't completed the game in full yet.

ginro
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by ginro on Sep 17, 11 10:20 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:
juleslorraine wrote:
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:Jules, did you apply the code? When you apply they won't take a credit.

No I tried to apply it but it never gave me the option to do that before it took the game credit. I have no idea what happened because it's never done that to me before. When I closed the game it brought up that infamous buy page which I hate that BF does. They should let us choose if we want to buy the game without bringing that page up. I never even hit enter or continue and my game credit went to zero.
It's look that they take a credit. But when you apply a code, than you have you credit back.
That happened to me, more than once. I emailed BFG and said they would give me a coupon, but I asked for and received a refund of $6.99, then I re-purchased a game credit. Don't settle for a coupon, the game credits are hard to come by, unless you buy them. Hope this helps ~ happy gaming!! Gin almost forgot, after getting refund, then buy the game by whatever method you wanted to use the first time.

Edited on 09/17/2011 at 10:24:09 AM PST

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on Sep 17, 11 10:30 AM
Yet again, another exceptional HOG from Elephant Games developers!! What a great group! Even their logo is great-perfect in its simplicity. It's almost as if they are avid HOG'ers themselves. They really know what we like and how we like it-and apply it at every turn. Good show!

There was nothing that detracted from my sheer enjoyment of this game. Graphics, storyline, HOG scenes, puzzles-all highly enjoyable. If only we could clone them and double the output of their wonderful games....hmmm....

Thanks EG & BF!!

Edited on 09/17/2011 at 10:31:18 AM PST

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Sep 17, 11 12:27 PM
This seems to be a really nice hidden object/adventure game but it is too junky and dark for me. It doesn't matter to me anymore how good a game is, if it's dark, dreary and junky I'm not going to spend my money on it. Elephant games makes good games but this is not one of their best.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 17, 11 12:44 PM
this is what i'm talkin about! a good game at a good price! i knew 5 min in i was gonna hafta buy this one, played almost to end of demo and cut back here to check into the pond while i d/l...thanks for the opportunity to use up at least one of my bonus credits...please keep them coming! happy dance in the desert~

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 17, 11 12:59 PM
Review of demo only:

I really like this as I love elephant games. Was kind of disappointed there was no level of difficulty as this developer usually gives 3 modes but the sparkles didn't bother me like some other games do and the hint button was like a strategy guide so it was almost like a cheap CE without the bonus play. We are looking for missing game show contestants but I like the different rooms to explore based on the game show. It definitely keeps my interest. The map is extremely helpful too and tells you where to go if you get stuck and I did get stuck kind of a lot. There are places to click that aren't just the sparkles and I didn't realize that so I didn't know what to do a couple times so the sparkles help guide you a little but they don't help you all the way. I have a punch credit so I am going to use it on this. The graphics in the hidden object scenes aren't as clear as they normally are. I wonder why this game wasn't released as a CE but Im thankful for a change from the super expensive games. Its nice to see a developer change up its style for awhile. Had I not noticed it was elephant games, I wouldn't have known. I thought just looking at the screen shots it might be vogat. Anyways well done. I will come back with a review once I finish the entire game =)

After Finishing Game Review:

This is the first time in a VERY long time I have played an entire game all the way through in the same day. I couldn't get enough of this gem. It was a great game. The music was fitting, the atmosphere was fun, the ending left room for a sequel which I can't wait for. It wasn't the best of elephant games but they released it as a SE because they realized that. I LOVE this game. I didn't care the Hidden Object scenes were junkpile because it was just an overall great way to spend the day. Thank you elephant games for another great game =)

Edited on 09/19/2011 at 6:34:09 PM PST

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 17, 11 1:09 PM
beestitcher wrote:
juleslorraine wrote:
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:Jules, did you apply the code? When you apply they won't take a credit.

No I tried to apply it but it never gave me the option to do that before it took the game credit. I have no idea what happened because it's never done that to me before. When I closed the game it brought up that infamous buy page which I hate that BF does. They should let us choose if we want to buy the game without bringing that page up. I never even hit enter or continue and my game credit went to zero.

I never buy from the game manager. I go back to BF gamesite, use my coupon, and then take the already purchased option on the game manager.

i have done it both ways, when i use the gm it offered a choice of using a game credit or going to the the site if i had a coupon, which is what i usually do. today i just went to the site, tho, so maybe it wasn't working properly on this game today...

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 17, 11 1:13 PM
ladygem6 wrote:
juleslorraine wrote:25 mins into the demo and I decided to "buy" it. The **** scenes are nice and clear plus the puzzles are fairly pleasant IMO. Superb graphics. I'm excited to get back to the game to see how the rest plays out but have to wait to hear from BFG. I was surprised to see that it wasn't a CE and decided to use a punch card credit, since it was burning a hole in my pocket, but for some reason when I tried to use it, BF took my game club credit instead even though the other is still valid, and no confirmation or asking me if this is what I wanted to do. I'm not happy but have sent a message asking them to use my earned punch card credit instead. So until then, I can't install and get back to it. Hopefully it doesn't take the 72 hours to get a reply.

Did you copy the punch card number EXACTLY as it is, with the dashes? That was my problem once, and after I talked to BFCS they told me I had to copy dashes as well, probably caps, I don't know for sure, as I did use caps.

Anyway, hope that helps.

i cut and paste, which is the only way i can do it without getting all dyslexic about it, i hope you get it settled soon!

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Sep 17, 11 1:26 PM
Thanks to Valdy for letting us know we can skip the mini games !!!!!!!!!!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 17, 11 1:45 PM
This is a really great ihog and its a SE! The graphic is really great, storyline also, also the hogscenes. Everything its perfect and its a definete buy for me

Go to: