Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 18, 11 7:25 AM
What a bummer. I have just said i thought i was halfway through the game, because i got the idea i had to play through the entire map-area again, this time looking for other objects and with other puzzles. But it seems this part of the game is mostly one HOG scene after the other, finishing with battling a giant spider and freeing the Prince / beast. It took me like 45 minutes mostly.
I have finished the regular game allready now, so when i first thought this could be like a 6 hour game, it is more like a 3 - 4 hour game (for the regular game that is)

I am now gonna play the bonus, I hope that its rather long and interesting.

juleslorraine
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by juleslorraine on Sep 18, 11 7:31 AM
I'm loving this game, bought it after 25 mins of demo time. Crisp graphics, nice hidden object scenes and games are not that hard either. I opted to play in normal mode and so far so good! With over 1G size, I'm hoping it gives me many hours of play!

Was nice to wake up to this since I've yet to hear back from tech about my purchase issue yesterday.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Sep 18, 11 7:45 AM
Riverman73 wrote:What a bummer. I have just said i thought i was halfway through the game, because i got the idea i had to play through the entire map-area again, this time looking for other objects and with other puzzles. But it seems this part of the game is mostly one HOG scene after the other, finishing with battling a giant spider and freeing the Prince / beast. It took me like 45 minutes mostly.
I have finished the regular game allready now, so when i first thought this could be like a 6 hour game, it is more like a 3 - 4 hour game (for the regular game that is)

Next time include Spoiler Alert please!

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Sep 18, 11 7:52 AM
Riverman73 wrote:What a bummer. I have just said i thought i was halfway through the game, because i got the idea i had to play through the entire map-area again, this time looking for other objects and with other puzzles. But it seems this part of the game is mostly one HOG scene after the other, finishing with battling a giant spider and freeing the Prince / beast. It took me like 45 minutes mostly.

Great! Now I can buy the game..."somebody up there likes me"...

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Sep 18, 11 8:06 AM
Review based on demo played:
The game is beautiful as stated by others. The map is helpful without giving too much away. The journal is useful and stores the clues that are needed.

The strategy guide (in my opinion) is not helpful. I prefer the screen shots as opposed to clicking on "links". In the past there was always one or two areas that were not covered, especially with the puzzles, however the puzzles so far seem not too difficult.

Hint button works not only in the HOS but in the location areas as well. Nice to know when there is no more left to do in a location. Also thank you BF for making a zoom up area "non-clickable" after you are through with it. I hate having to keep clicking on an area that only shows a newspaper or piece of paper that I already read and has no value anymore (the information, if important, is usually stored in your journal).

Although my only complaint is with the SG I am still willing to buy the CE. I feel that this one is far more worth the price than the other latest offerings of CEs.

jlasater
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by jlasater on Sep 18, 11 8:11 AM
Really loved the demo of this game. Thanks Big Fish. Purchased and can't wait to get back to the game Very fun, kinda silly, very colorful, great graphics!! My kind of game

tinaccarroll
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by tinaccarroll on Sep 18, 11 8:14 AM
awesome game. you all have to buy. i didnt even finish sample. no tech issues whatsoever. but i have to wait til payday to buy. but worth waiting for. have fun. by the way i have windows vista.

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 18, 11 8:24 AM
This is a beautiful game by all standards:

* The puzzles actually require some thought to complete, instead of just being a rote set of clicks. Some puzzle hints are riddles to be solved, which I very much enjoy.

* Hidden object scenes are challenging - the graphics are clear and interesting, no cheating by showing only a small part of an object, yet tricky by placing similar looking items by each other, so you're looking for the whole object, not just the obvious outline.

* There are two kinds of h.o. scenes -- those with multiple items to find (about 12-15 different items) and those with multiples (12-16) of a single type of item (such as the roses in the Alice in Wonderland book seen in the demo). That variety is refreshing especially because I love the single object type of h.o. scene.

* While the story is mostly implied rather than blatantly told, that works for two reasons: it allows you the player to become more immersed in it (the fewer details they give, the more room for your own imagination) and it doesn't distract from the main gameplay (too many story scenes slow down the action). What is provided is by far enough information to not leave you clueless.

* The graphics are incredibly gorgeous -- they're reason enough to buy the game, just being able to look at the fantastical and surreal scenery.

* My one gripe is the voice acting. I hate all that talking at me. But, another plus with this game is you can turn off the voices. There is text for everything you need to know, so the voice is completely optional. What a relief!

- Like others, I finished the demo with time remaining but it was only 2 minutes. I had to use some hints in the hidden object scenes, too. Games like this that are full of content are usually just demo mode instead of time mode. But they turn out to be very long anyhow, with a lot to make them worth the purchase.

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 8:26:31 AM PST

probaby221
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by probaby221 on Sep 18, 11 8:29 AM
GREAT GAME!!!!!MUST BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nolaj
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Nolaj on Sep 18, 11 8:42 AM
Beautiful game. Just a comment on DL and such, I have 2 computers and I also visit my son with the laptop. I have had no "speed" DL problems on either of my computers,BUT it takes forever at my sons with my laptop, so I will just buy and download at home. Also no problem playing any games on my laptop, but some of them do not do well on my big computer. My take on all this is that it is not anything to do with BF, but with our own equipment. I seldom even bother to download anything on my big computer anymore that has to do with games. Wish I knew what the difference is and why, but just thought I would offer my experience as food for thought. They are both the same brand and the same operating system. Oh the joy of computers!!!!!!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 18, 11 8:54 AM
This game has been made with allot of thought and it's beautiful. I have to use a magnifying glass on the hidden objects sometimes but other than that I like it. The guide doesn't tell you exactly how to do things but it helps. I'll go ahead and buy it.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 18, 11 8:54 AM
This game has been made with allot of thought and it's beautiful. I have to use a magnifying glass on the hidden objects sometimes but other than that I like it. The guide doesn't tell you exactly how to do things but it helps. I'll go ahead and buy it.

robinbucy
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by robinbucy on Sep 18, 11 8:55 AM
I couldn't stop laughing at the spinning wheel robot. I don't know how many times I clicked on him, but he didn't run out of thing to say, and all of them were funny. I won't say any more, but check it out when you get there!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 18, 11 8:55 AM

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 18, 11 8:55 AM

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Sep 18, 11 8:59 AM
sfcali, welcome to the pond.

I hope you continue to do reviews because both this one
and the one you did a few days ago are great.
Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks,
Joyce

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Sep 18, 11 9:47 AM
desandnrs wrote:
carolina67 wrote:Because of the problems yesterday about the games cutting off after a few minutes of play, I'm just curious which version of the game manager you all are using. It appears you aren't having any problems playing it.
I did not know we had a choice in the matter of which version of GM to use. I certainly would not use the new one if I had anything to say about it. I have had nothing but trouble since the new version came out. Right now I am having problems trying to purchase games while the sale is on, and when I try to do so, I get kicked out, Yes I have contacted BF and am waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully before the sale ends today.

Buy it, then worry about it. If it won't play, Live will credit or refund and you will still get to keep the free punches anyway.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Sep 18, 11 10:12 AM
sunidayz wrote:After the ridiculously long download, almost 2 hrs, I played the demo and finished it with 15 mins to spare which I still hate. (Why are all developers doing that now? Cheating you out of time?) ...........

sinshack wrote:Since the demo is FREE, how can you consider that they are "cheating" you out of anything? The purpose of the demo is to see if 1) the game plays on your computer, and 2) if you like it enough to buy it. Since just a couple of years ago larger games like this were not offered with any demo, you had to buy blindly, I'm happy with the sample versions.

Thank you Sinshack! I get so tired of hearing people complain about "lost time" in the demo. It's a demo, people!! You DO have 60 minutes to play, but if you get done before then, so what? The demo is there to whet your appetite for the game. Since people play at different paces, some may take the entire 60 minutes; other may not. But the bottom line is, like you stated, at least you're not buying a game without any clue as to it's worth. So, get over it folks...

[steps down from the soapbox]

In the meantime, I have to say this is a VERY beautiful game. Great graphics, storyline, and play. While it might be a little too cute for my standard tastes, it's a great game and a keeper!!

[Post New]by HereF1shyF1shy on Sep 18, 11 10:16 AM
Even before finishing the demo, I knew this was a definite buy for me! Not a ton of HOG scenes (which I prefer) and lots of neat puzzles. I wish the puzzles were a bit more difficult but the beautiful graphics and storyline make up for it. I love the romance-based games. No insane asylums or mad scientists in this one!

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Sep 18, 11 10:34 AM
I agree the graphics are great and the story line is interesting. The only thing I don't like is the guide. It is one of these that you have to click, click to see what you need to complete a task. Also, you cannot go back to a certain section. You get the "How do you?" lines to click on. This is not very much fun guys!!

Go to: